State of Michigan Culture reviews

Found 198 reviews matching the search See all 1,163 reviews
it has it's ups and downs
Payment Assistant Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamtramck, MIApril 13, 2019
very stressful
management wasn't the best
the hardest part of the job is dealing with the clients when they are upset
I enjoyed the company activities that we did
Pros
good pay
Cons
too much micro managing and disrespect
Don’t work here. Resist the urge.
CPS Investigator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 9, 2019
The current culture within the State of Michigan and this county office does not protect the families or the workers it was meant to serve. It is about numbers and not the community. Get the paperwork done and push policy. No training. No help from supervisors.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Hours, Management
Poor leadership
Healthcare Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Gaylord, MIMarch 22, 2019
Leadership afraid you might surpass. Mean spirited and sneaky. Is not approachable for collaboration or assistance. Reach out for help and you will find yourself in counseling for not knowing your job.
Fast paced work environment with great benefits
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 22, 2019
I've worked for the stated for over 11 years now and it has been a great place to work. It's very stressful but if you are organized and motivated you will do just fine. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people.
Pros
Paid time off and great benefits
Cons
Stressful
ery nice place and manager to work in Michigan
Teradata Developer BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 4, 2019
very nice place and manager to work in Michigan , I was in daatwareshousing , I love to enjoy , good place, infrastructure, city and work culture, ethics , moral etc
SOS Iron Mountain
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Iron Mountain, MIJanuary 7, 2019
Terrible place to work, we're not nice to the customer, we're not nice to me. I learned the job faster than many others and was treated bad because I wasn't stuck up towards the public.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
The way they treat people
A workplace that demanded officers and supervisors working together.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Ionia, MIJanuary 5, 2019
Daily overseeing hundreds of inmates. Learned to work with and sometimes depend on fellow workers and supervisors. Workplace could become intense. Hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly inmates. Best part of the job was the friendships developed with coworkers.
Pros
Steady employment
Cons
Constantly being in contact with convicted felons
Ocf
Employment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Marenisco, MIDecember 19, 2018
Ojibway Correctional Facility (OCF) was a wonderful place to work. The staff I worked with, were unbelievable and I miss them very much. The MDOC administration however, is not greatest. Other than the administration, the MDOC is not a bad company to work for.
Love my job
Assistant Payment Worker E10 (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 9, 2018
My typical day at work consist of dealing with phone calls and working trying to assist people with food benefits and medical insurance. Sometimes people call to just talk about what they are dealing and I try to be that ear to just listen.
Pros
helping people get on their feet
Cons
management
it was ok
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 26, 2018
it was a ok job to help me provide for me and my son. the hardest part of the job was knowing my patient needed extra help. what i learn was all in house on how to improve my communication skills.
Great team in Jackson
Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MINovember 15, 2018
Great place to work. Not all counties are the same from my understanding, but Jackson county is great. Supportive supervision, and great team environment.
Pros
Benefits, hours, holidays
Cons
mandatory on call each month, stressful job
Nice Atmospher
Database Architect (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 25, 2018
My time here was very enjoyable. The work pace was amazing and the team I was on consisted of very knowledgable and experienced people. I learned a lot from them and was able share a lot of my knowledge and experience with them as well. They're an all around great place to work.
Opportunity to learn about a lot of various systems because of the many agencies and departments in State Government
Business Services Manager & Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 23, 2018
I worked for three different State Departments during my time in State Government. These jobs provided me an opportunity to learn various systems and corporate culture. My years at the State were highly rewarding and cherished.
Pros
Many opportunities to learn and transfer to other departments if desired.
Cons
Promotions were based on nepotism and favoritism.
The job that we do at DHHS is a very beneficial job that services the community that we work in and near, but the pay is minimal for all that we do.
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Port Huron, MIOctober 20, 2018
A typical work day consist of processing cases along with answering the client phone calls, meeting with clients that come in to the office with questions and concerns. Management is decent, depending on whose Unit you are placed in. All of the managers operate differently and have different expectations, which make it more difficult when you switch from one Unit to the other. The culture is one that is not as it should be, which is a leadership, but it is more of a boss style, do as I say with no desire for input from the staff. The hardest part of the job is to try adhere to all of the changes that are made daily so when you think that you have met their expectations, they are changed. The most enjoyable part of the job is servicing the clients.
Pros
Servicing the community
Cons
Massive workload and trainings without heavy support from management
Great Opportunity, Flexible Hours
Human Resources Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 9, 2018
I do not wish to go into detail with this review. The State of Michigan was a great opportunity that I would certainly do again. Management was very flexible with my student schedule and was able to offer competitive pay. Being in Human Resources, serving 400+ employees, caused many stressors that must be dealt with and many young adults have not experienced.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Stressful work environment as a young adult
Always busy
Home Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Weidman, MIOctober 8, 2018
There is no such thing as a typical day in this line of work. The hardest part of the job for me was getting too attached to my clients. I did learn some valuable nursing skills.
a place to work after you have had the hustle and bustle of the long term care or hospital; a new experience
LPN (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 2, 2018
everyday is a different experience at this job, you learn patience and restraint, you do learn a different aspect of nursing at this job, also promotes working independently
Spirit killing low pay run if you can
employee (Current Employee) –  MISeptember 18, 2018
Working for the sate of Michigan is bad the politicians put in their friends in high positions that don't know how to do the actual work. If they promoted from within it would be a much better place to be.
Pros
Cons
lack of decision making and decisions made on politics not real world business.
flexable hours
Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 30, 2018
great staff and work hours great work load, and life balance. Love working with consumers. They motivate and are full of life. I think this is a great place to work and a good start for those in medical filed.
Good workplace
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 20, 2018
Good people to learn from here! The work environment is very fun and the company culture is nice. The State gives you an opportunity to learn something new everyday.
Pros
Treats at every staff meeting
Cons
No paid holidays for student assistants