State of Michigan Employee Reviews

Very laid back
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MIOctober 16, 2018
It was great to work. I took care of patients. Loved working with elderly people. My last patient I took care of had cancer and he passed away. I got real close to the family
Pros
No set hours
Cons
N/a
I enjoy working with my coworkers.
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 14, 2018
Management needs to be trained on working with employees. Also, state employment is very political. It is a very "top down" organization. I think if you want to make a change you have to be willing to put the work in.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No pension
Great professional experience
Senior Nurse Consultant/Health Care Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 10, 2018
This job was very political. Workloads oftentimes too heavy. Very short deadlines. Lots of micromanagement. Office days aren't aways allowed. Learned a lot about enforcing regulations
Pros
Great travel
Cons
Too many inconsistencies with managers and director
Overall Experience
Pre-Employment Transition Counselor (Current Employee) –  Taylor, MI 48180October 10, 2018
Office moral is high, supportive supervisor, position lacks training opportunities, challenges are working with vendors on getting proper paperwork turned in on a timely schedule.
Pros
Working with schools to build programming to hep students
Cons
Lack of training for current position
Great Opportunity, Flexible Hours
Human Resources Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 9, 2018
I do not wish to go into detail with this review. The State of Michigan was a great opportunity that I would certainly do again. Management was very flexible with my student schedule and was able to offer competitive pay. Being in Human Resources, serving 400+ employees, caused many stressors that must be dealt with and many young adults have not experienced.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Stressful work environment as a young adult
Always busy
Home Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Weidman, MIOctober 8, 2018
There is no such thing as a typical day in this line of work. The hardest part of the job for me was getting too attached to my clients. I did learn some valuable nursing skills.
Not for me
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 7, 2018
Was harassed by the management and was not trained in my department. I had a problem not having enough to do and was looked down on when I mentioned this.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Harassed while working for them and micro-managed.
Productive and fun
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIOctober 3, 2018
A somewhat rewarding job at times, caring for disabled woman.I was able to provide her compassionate companionship and always understanding...Was able to get her out more..
Pros
No set schedule
Cons
24 hr on call
a place to work after you have had the hustle and bustle of the long term care or hospital; a new experience
LPN (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 2, 2018
everyday is a different experience at this job, you learn patience and restraint, you do learn a different aspect of nursing at this job, also promotes working independently
great place
care provider (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIOctober 1, 2018
this is a job for warm hearted people, people with patience, understanding and willing to sacrifice pride and self desires for the greater good which makes it fantastic.
Pros
knowledge
Cons
Working for the state of michigan is a good job.
Assistan Pay Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MISeptember 26, 2018
Working at the State of Michigan was a very fast paced job because of the never ending changes that workers have to keep up with on a daily basis. The state does offer good medical insurance and available time off for employees.
Pros
Good about giving time off if needed
Cons
Never ending changes to policy
Worked MN. Loved it.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Saline, MISeptember 25, 2018
Enjoyed night shift and really wouldn't have stayed as long as I did if I had to work days. I really was quite apprehensive about working with incarcerated individual.
Pros
Mn
Cons
violence
State employee
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Kincheloe, MISeptember 19, 2018
Good people to work with worked there 26 years received pension and benefits. It's going through some changes now 401 instead of the pension. Some closings
Spirit killing low pay run if you can
employee (Current Employee) –  MISeptember 18, 2018
Working for the sate of Michigan is bad the politicians put in their friends in high positions that don't know how to do the actual work. If they promoted from within it would be a much better place to be.
Pros
Cons
lack of decision making and decisions made on politics not real world business.
Children's Protective Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MISeptember 17, 2018
This was a rewarding a challenging positon with pros and cons. The county was very rigid and lacked flexibilty with the tracking and monitoring of staff. I am no longer and employee with the state of michigan
benefits
Cons
rigid and being on call
Difficult
CHILD WELFARE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Oakland, MISeptember 17, 2018
Good starting point, but sometimes it can be very difficult. Micromanagement can get really bad, but if you are good at your job usually you are left alone.
food service
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 17, 2018
on a typical day at work I would come in prep food sanitize cooking area serve food and clean kitchen and dining area after meals and prep for next days menu.
Pros
had more privlleges
Cons
getting burnt by fryers
I Loved My Job.
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 11, 2018
Child Care Is Something That I Love To Do Because Children Is So Amazing. And They Also Loved Me Because I'm Such A Loveable Person They Job Require Patience And Stability Love Mannered All Of These Things.
Pros
Free Toys
Cons
Patience And Love
Economic Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 10, 2018
Love my Day job with the State of Michigan. Looking for a part time job, working in the evenings and weekends only. Looking for receptionist, data entry, customer service, call center, admin type of work. Would also consider night work with UPS as well checking in packages at the airport.
Stressful, detailed oriented not enough hours in the day
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 10, 2018
Very cut throat, untrustworthy supervisors and managers. Have to be cautious. This would be a very enjoyable work environment if the checks and balances were in place.
Pros
Fexible with sick time and vacation
Cons
Never no what is going on