State of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Not fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 15, 2018
Not a fun place to work to much gossip and back biting. Management came into work when ever they wanted. There was no real leadership, some co-workers got away with calling in sick 2 or 3 times a week and got away with it. The ones that came into work everyday had to pick up their slack day in and day out . Management would not do anything about it they I did not care because they were doing it to.
Pros
Health care payed time off
Cons
To much of a thankless grind.
Good Benifits but stressful work enviroment
Human Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNMay 28, 2018
The hardest thing for me to get used to was not working with the clientele but working with the long-term staff that were not compassionate towards clients
Pros
Benifits
Cons
employee attitudes, to many rumors about closing ect
Perfect is you enjoy working with DD population
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kasson, MNMay 26, 2018
Enjoyed working witj the consumers. You become an important part of their lives as the do yours. Being staff/ nurse allowed me to learn the best ways to get the necessary health care for our consumers. Has now been downsized to a 4 bedroom wavered home.
Pros
Ate with clients
Cons
Constantly cjanging CRS', no consistency on how they wanted things done
Worked on Prepaid medical assistants program (PMAP)
State Plan Director - Rate Setting (Former Employee) –  Department of Human ServicesMay 23, 2018
Work on PMAP program daily with actuary consultants. Improved my spreatsheet skills, link spreatsheet and write macros. Work place culture not good. Getting help when it was requested. Flexibility on Friday and Saturdays.
Pros
Great opportunity as "Plan Director State Rate Setting"
Cons
Some staff member were not helpful
Upper Management puts who they want in positions
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 10, 2018
If managment didn;t get away with the things they did it would be a great place to work. They choose who they wanted in what positions and would tell them to apply to certain positions
Pros
good benefits
Cons
upper management
Decent job
Forensic Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Peter, MNMay 4, 2018
This is a good job for someone that is okay with the hours each week switching. Its not 100% ideal for a family setting when both parents have changing shifts. The management isn't always the best.
General Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 25, 2018
Minnesota offers 4 hours of vacation and 4 hours of sick leave every pay period. Pay periods are biweekly. Pay is decent but benefits are expensive. Maintenance technicians make about 14.50 an hour to start. They have pay differential for second shift employees.
Pros
treated like a person
Cons
no paid break so stuck there for whole 8 hours
Good employer, bad manager
Rehabilitation Counselor, Senior (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 23, 2018
As the saying goes, people don't leave jobs, they leave managers. This was the case in this position. I know many people that worked in many different locations that had great experiences. However in my location management was terrible and while I loved the job, I could not continue with the management (or lack thereof) received.
Pros
State benefits
Cons
Varies by location
Personal Care Worker
Consumer Driven Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNApril 18, 2018
It was a great opportunity to work with people with disabilities and help them fulfill their daily goals. Very rewarding to see them meet their personal development goals.
A job to have income
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lino Lakes, MNApril 13, 2018
If you are working here than you are incarcerated and this is the only option for making money in prison. If possible, stay in job for quarterly pay raises.
Fun workplace
Skills Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNApril 8, 2018
Working for the State of MN, there is room for a person to grow into a higher position. I started out at a lower position and through the years I have moved into high positions.
Minnesota IT Services was a great agency to work for
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 2, 2018
Working at the State of Minnesota for Minnesota IT Services was a great opportunity to start in the public sector to learn and grow. Once you pass your initial probationary period, your role will be very secure.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Probationary Period
it was a union job not very well incentivized
Institution Community Work Crew leader (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 1, 2018
There were specific paths to advancement.
not all employees were held to the same standard
teaching offenders new skills and the lesson of pride in workmanship was very rewarding
Pros
Job security
archaic work culture
Legislative Staff (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 29, 2018
Uncommunicative and highly disrespectful leadership. Absent human resources manager. Minimal training and support. No advancement opportunities. Entry level pay regardless of experience. Back-stabbing culture.
Pros
Interesting work. Good benefits
Cons
Salary-not a living wage
Roller coaster of changes
Work Therapy Technician (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMarch 26, 2018
Pros: Great opportunity for someone new to the field or wants to learn more to get a better understanding of the field.
Cons: There are plenty of changes to the human service field and you get used to it. The problem is the lack of preparation from management when it comes to those changes.
security counselor
Security Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint Peter, MNMarch 21, 2018
Attend mental Health groups with clients are in a secure facility as part of the DHS/Corrections Program placed there by the courts. Attending Medical appointments with clients in the community, ensuring the security of Client units are free from sharps and tools used for self-harm.
Pros
working with clients suffering from mental illness and to see the progress
Cons
Potentially a dangerous environment with clients that are having severe symptoms of mental illness.
Very stressful work environment.
HCT (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisMarch 11, 2018
I quit my job even before my probation was up. Some of the LPN's that I worked with were lazy and liked to talk down to the CNA's. Most of the CNA's that I worked with were afraid to speak up for fear of loosing their jobs. It's definitely not a professional working environment. There's a lot of favoritism exhibited there. I felt like I had been put in a dark hole...as a CNA you are kept in the dark and never learn anything. Some people are OK with that if the money's good...not me! I couldn't wait to get out of there!
Pros
Wages, Overtime
Cons
Everything else
Love the Clients
Human Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 27, 2018
I have learned so much from this position, the clients are not the issue, but management is what I personally am leaving, I put my job 1st, my mistake.
Pros
satisfaction of enriching lives
Cons
supervisor
Minnesota Health Insurance Representative II (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNFebruary 23, 2018
Working the job that I worked was very long hours with tough work assignments, Not knowing from day to day what the job was going to be. Very tough job to have with family.
Cons
Long hours, Not family friendly
Always learning something knew in the industry
Tort Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 19, 2018
Identify, investigate and prepare legal documentation to support recovery of third party funds. Review and evaluate merit of potential recovery utilizing MMIS and MAXIS systems. Apply state/federal regulations; case law and Department policies relating to intervention to establish a claim for recovery. Preparation of legal documents and supportive exhibits. Trace, receive, document, process, and deposit payments from awards and settlements. Investigate, monitor and resolve complex third party liability cases. Effectively respond and explain Tort liability policies to recipients, attorneys, unit manager and staff attorney. Intimate and detailed knowledge of workers’ compensation processes based on personal and professional experience.
Pros
Consistanly busy
Cons
Not always given enough time to complete projects