State of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Good job...good pay...nice benefits
Office Specialist Senior (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 1, 2018
I worked their for 20 years in Drivers License Dept. I loved the job... did my work...and retired...I issued drivers licenses and enhanced drivers licenses...also help train new employees...answered questions from agents and other employees.
Decent Job
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  St. Peter, MNSeptember 13, 2018
Working here was an eye opening experience to human behavior and mental illness. The state offered good benefits and pay was good for the area/my level of experience. Daily threat of physical altercations.
horrible place to work
Behavior Modification assistant (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNSeptember 4, 2018
Worst management I have ever worked for. No communication between Management and staff. Always short staffed. Scheduled 5 weekends in a row. Not a job for someone who has a family.
Cons
no break at all while on shift
Many rewards frm your clients experiencing recovery,and networking in the community was a high light.
LSW (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNSeptember 3, 2018
After 32 years,and working with both the adolescent population,as well as with the adult mentally ill,I found myself to be very successful in my delivery to the clients.
The job was both challenging as well as rewarding,and working that in profession is a very noble endeavor.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, quite rewarding in working with the clients
Cons
Four surgeries from dealing with highly assaultive adolescants, and often forced O.T was tough.
not bad its ok
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  MNAugust 29, 2018
Its a state job and its okay. Doing IT work for state there is not a good comparison from public sector to private. you make much more with private work in the IT field. the only good thing about public sector is the benefits make up for the pay. so its that kind of trade off
Pros
benefit
Cons
pay
Excellent benefits
Behavior Modification Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pillager, MNAugust 14, 2018
I think the management staff could use more training on how to manage their time and work together with their staff that they are supervising. Management should be more available to help those that they are supervising.
Relaxed workplace
Treatment Court Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 9, 2018
You are expected to do your job without being micromanaged. Relaxed workplace setting with very little interruption from management. Excellent benefits.
Pros
Healthcare, benefits.
Good benefits, poor culute
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bayport, MNAugust 3, 2018
It was a great learning experience, no regrets. It was a very stressful place to work. Advancement was centered around protected class which I understood but was frustrating.
Pros
Job security, good benefits.
Cons
Unprofessional staff
Good teamwork, good support
Radio Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNJuly 20, 2018
Co workers were good team members, flexible in scheduling, willing to share information. Rotating schedule and willing to help out for time off/Dr. appts, family emergencies, etc.Mapping system was outdated, still used paper maps and then google. Metro management expected out state to work the same as metro, and out state needs to operate differently.
Pros
Good camaraderie through all levels
Cons
Breaks difficult if working alone, as were busy spurts.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Pine Island, MNJuly 16, 2018
Enjoyed the individuals , had fun helping them go to the Special Olympics! Had good teamwork from most of the co-workers, some thought they were just too good. LONG LONG hours!!!
Pros
lots of time outside with clients
State of Minnesota-Rehabilitation Counselor Career
Rehabilitation Counselor Career (Former Employee) –  South MinneapolisJuly 3, 2018
Busy office with caseloads of 80-100+. Lots of training initially and monthly. Excellent co-workers to consult with when questions arise. The hardest part of the job is remembering the number of days you have to complete required paperwork at different stages of the process. Beginning of the work day is a time to interact with your cohorts and have a positive start of the day.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Enjoyable work environment if you can avoid the politics.
Office Administrative Specialist - Sr. (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 26, 2018
I worked for the State of Minnesota for 15 years and had the rare opportunity to work with some phenomenal people.

That was until certain political or tactical positions were "created" for personalities that really shouldn't have been put into management positions.

Luckily, time went by and those people retired and another set of personalities came in during the PC era where surprisingly things that were fireable offenses were ignored but favoritism towards other "conflict of interest" situations were covered up.

Throughout the years, those that were the hard workers and could be counted on in team efforts as well as simply being good people with kind souls, kept my joy of working at the State alive.

I was one of the lucky ones who had a lot of leeway on my job and didn't have a micromanager looking over my shoulder. That certainly gave the feel of freedom on the job.

Overall, I truly enjoyed working there and the few really good workers I could also call my friends.
Pros
Abililty to work remotely
Cons
Management needs an overhaul and more accountability
Not fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 15, 2018
Not a fun place to work to much gossip and back biting. Management came into work when ever they wanted. There was no real leadership, some co-workers got away with calling in sick 2 or 3 times a week and got away with it. The ones that came into work everyday had to pick up their slack day in and day out . Management would not do anything about it they I did not care because they were doing it to.
Pros
Health care payed time off
Cons
To much of a thankless grind.
Great place to work if you have a family
Senior revenue Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 15, 2018
Interesting place to work for parents of small children or as your first job. Otherwise, there is little incentive to stay, advancement can be made to senior, but not much higher. Managers have been here for a long time, and are set in their ways.
Enjoyed the experience
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 28, 2018
Working for the State of MN was a dependable job. I gained the experience working in a high volume office, I enjoyed the entire job. Management was fair and professional as an employee , you immediately are informed of the protocol of procedures, It was a good 18 years.
Good Benifits but stressful work enviroment
Human Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNMay 28, 2018
The hardest thing for me to get used to was not working with the clientele but working with the long-term staff that were not compassionate towards clients
Pros
Benifits
Cons
employee attitudes, to many rumors about closing ect
Perfect is you enjoy working with DD population
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kasson, MNMay 26, 2018
Enjoyed working witj the consumers. You become an important part of their lives as the do yours. Being staff/ nurse allowed me to learn the best ways to get the necessary health care for our consumers. Has now been downsized to a 4 bedroom wavered home.
Pros
Ate with clients
Cons
Constantly cjanging CRS', no consistency on how they wanted things done
Worked on Prepaid medical assistants program (PMAP)
State Plan Director - Rate Setting (Former Employee) –  Department of Human ServicesMay 23, 2018
Work on PMAP program daily with actuary consultants. Improved my spreatsheet skills, link spreatsheet and write macros. Work place culture not good. Getting help when it was requested. Flexibility on Friday and Saturdays.
Pros
Great opportunity as "Plan Director State Rate Setting"
Cons
Some staff member were not helpful
Upper Management puts who they want in positions
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 10, 2018
If managment didn;t get away with the things they did it would be a great place to work. They choose who they wanted in what positions and would tell them to apply to certain positions
Pros
good benefits
Cons
upper management
Decent job
Forensic Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Peter, MNMay 4, 2018
This is a good job for someone that is okay with the hours each week switching. Its not 100% ideal for a family setting when both parents have changing shifts. The management isn't always the best.