State of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Stable job and employer
Office and Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNJanuary 4, 2019
Processing job postings and intake of applications for job postings.
I learned about the MN State SEMA4 system and became familiar with hiring protocols.
Management was informative and supportive.
People worked within the parameters of their position description.
The most difficult part of this job for me was the limitations imposed by the position description.
I enjoyed the variety of people within the office and new hires coming to the office.
Pros
Great benefits and paid leave.
Cons
Job limitations.
State of MN is a good place to work.
receptionist and data entry (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 3, 2018
State jobs have competitive salaries, are benefits loaded with accrueing sick time days, good training programs and very good work atmospheres. In MN, they say if you want a good job, get a job with the State. I assume that's true for all civil service positions. But you may have to wait awhile to get the job you apply ed for, State jobs are very popular. Civil Service exams required.
Pros
Competitive salaries, great benefits.
Cons
Might have to wait awhile to get the position you applied for. Civil Service exams required.
Good for experience
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 16, 2018
The state is a good place to gain experience needed for a career. Unfortunately a lot of the work environments and work cultures are not good. Public work is great but the pay is not there. Although for some, the benefits overcome the pay.
Benefits
Cons
Work Environment
After ten years inside the walls
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, MNJanuary 20, 2019
This is an extremely stressful and unappreciated job. You are surrounded by murderers, rapists, and child molesters every day. You will see your coworkers injured and or killed. If you want to wake up each day and ask yourself "is today the day I'm going to be assaulted?" Then this might be the job for you.
It is a government job with plenty of vacation time and sick leave and many benefits. Is it worth it? I would tell you no.
Overall good place to work
Sr. Project Manager - Health Licensing Board (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 28, 2018
The job has good compensation, MNIT, as organization provide work-life balance for the employees. Technology is dated, processes far behind private sector. Ample scope to drive the IT group in right direction, if a senior level employee with good background gets management support.
Fantastic place to work
Session I.T. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 28, 2019
This may have been the most interesting professional position I have held. I loved the work environment and the culture. It is always a pleasure and inspiration to work with others who are pursuing their life passions.
Good benefits, poor culute
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bayport, MNAugust 3, 2018
It was a great learning experience, no regrets. It was a very stressful place to work. Advancement was centered around protected class which I understood but was frustrating.
Pros
Job security, good benefits.
Cons
Unprofessional staff
Many rewards frm your clients experiencing recovery,and networking in the community was a high light.
LSW (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNSeptember 3, 2018
After 32 years,and working with both the adolescent population,as well as with the adult mentally ill,I found myself to be very successful in my delivery to the clients.
The job was both challenging as well as rewarding,and working that in profession is a very noble endeavor.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, quite rewarding in working with the clients
Cons
Four surgeries from dealing with highly assaultive adolescants, and often forced O.T was tough.
Relaxed workplace
Treatment Court Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 9, 2018
You are expected to do your job without being micromanaged. Relaxed workplace setting with very little interruption from management. Excellent benefits.
Pros
Healthcare, benefits.
Great benefits
Security counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint Peter, MNDecember 6, 2018
Training was thorough and helpful. I respected their person centered approach for the patients. I really loved the benefits offered and felt I was treated fairly when I worked there.
Benefits
Cons
Gossip
archaic work culture
Legislative Staff (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 29, 2018
Uncommunicative and highly disrespectful leadership. Absent human resources manager. Minimal training and support. No advancement opportunities. Entry level pay regardless of experience. Back-stabbing culture.
Pros
Interesting work. Good benefits
Cons
Salary-not a living wage
Enjoyable work environment if you can avoid the politics.
Office Administrative Specialist - Sr. (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 26, 2018
I worked for the State of Minnesota for 15 years and had the rare opportunity to work with some phenomenal people.

That was until certain political or tactical positions were "created" for personalities that really shouldn't have been put into management positions.

Luckily, time went by and those people retired and another set of personalities came in during the PC era where surprisingly things that were fireable offenses were ignored but favoritism towards other "conflict of interest" situations were covered up.

Throughout the years, those that were the hard workers and could be counted on in team efforts as well as simply being good people with kind souls, kept my joy of working at the State alive.

I was one of the lucky ones who had a lot of leeway on my job and didn't have a micromanager looking over my shoulder. That certainly gave the feel of freedom on the job.

Overall, I truly enjoyed working there and the few really good workers I could also call my friends.
Pros
Abililty to work remotely
Cons
Management needs an overhaul and more accountability
Good teamwork, good support
Radio Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNJuly 20, 2018
Co workers were good team members, flexible in scheduling, willing to share information. Rotating schedule and willing to help out for time off/Dr. appts, family emergencies, etc.Mapping system was outdated, still used paper maps and then google. Metro management expected out state to work the same as metro, and out state needs to operate differently.
Pros
Good camaraderie through all levels
Cons
Breaks difficult if working alone, as were busy spurts.
Good employer, bad manager
Rehabilitation Counselor, Senior (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 23, 2018
As the saying goes, people don't leave jobs, they leave managers. This was the case in this position. I know many people that worked in many different locations that had great experiences. However in my location management was terrible and while I loved the job, I could not continue with the management (or lack thereof) received.
Pros
State benefits
Cons
Varies by location
State of Minnesota-Rehabilitation Counselor Career
Rehabilitation Counselor Career (Former Employee) –  South MinneapolisJuly 3, 2018
Busy office with caseloads of 80-100+. Lots of training initially and monthly. Excellent co-workers to consult with when questions arise. The hardest part of the job is remembering the number of days you have to complete required paperwork at different stages of the process. Beginning of the work day is a time to interact with your cohorts and have a positive start of the day.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Short breaks
not bad its ok
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  MNAugust 29, 2018
Its a state job and its okay. Doing IT work for state there is not a good comparison from public sector to private. you make much more with private work in the IT field. the only good thing about public sector is the benefits make up for the pay. so its that kind of trade off
Pros
benefit
Cons
pay
horrible place to work
Behavior Modification assistant (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNSeptember 4, 2018
Worst management I have ever worked for. No communication between Management and staff. Always short staffed. Scheduled 5 weekends in a row. Not a job for someone who has a family.
Cons
no break at all while on shift
Excellent benefits
Behavior Modification Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pillager, MNAugust 14, 2018
I think the management staff could use more training on how to manage their time and work together with their staff that they are supervising. Management should be more available to help those that they are supervising.
Upper Management puts who they want in positions
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 10, 2018
If managment didn;t get away with the things they did it would be a great place to work. They choose who they wanted in what positions and would tell them to apply to certain positions
Pros
good benefits
Cons
upper management
Decent Job
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  St. Peter, MNSeptember 13, 2018
Working here was an eye opening experience to human behavior and mental illness. The state offered good benefits and pay was good for the area/my level of experience. Daily threat of physical altercations.