State of Mississippi Employee Reviews

Productive work environment
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 29, 2018
I learned so many accounting function. I work with a team of people on difference projects. A typical day at is performing duties on quick books.

• Maintains vendor records; updates and researches the IGPS and accounting information system (AIS) and the state accounting management System (SAMS) for vendor information.
• Provides administrative support to vendors for product complaints and corrective action and reconciliation for accurate comparison between vendor records and payment vouchers.
• Assists with the review of invoices for accuracy; prepares invoice documentation package for payment processing; ensures that printed vouchers and accounting reports are accurate and all supporting documentation is included
Horrible Days
Child Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  McComb, MSAugust 25, 2018
Here at Pike County, The supervisors suck. Long hours and no family time. Always on the go. The Training you go through doesn't help you with real job itself. No help from your supervisors. Very disrespectful from the staff. You do get off for paid hoildays. Pike County just horrible. You have no life period. Your life is the Job.
Pros
Paid Holidays
Cons
No life period!
The Worst!!
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSJuly 24, 2018
NEVER WORK FOR THE STATE OF MS!! The DHS office in Hernando was the absolute worst job I have ever worked in my entire adult life! The managers are extra lazy, the workload is high, the pay is low. To be fair, I knew about the pay and workload before coming in, so I cannot hold that against the office. I gave this office about 7 months before I found another job. I was hired to do one job, but did not start the job until months later because the office is so understaffed. They cannot keep people because the culture in that office is very unprofessional. They help out who they wanna help out, will send you to training in different county, on your dime, promise to reimburse you, but lose your paperwork, so you're stuck putting countless miles on your car from those weekly classes and the job is like, 'Oops'. You never feel appreciated, every meeting is like, 'Well everyone did good, but you can do so much better that that'. They say they're too busy to train you, and they task out other supervisors from neighboring counties to do so, then treat those supervisors like red-headed stepchildren. Just, NEVER work there.
Pros
1 hr lunch, holidays off
Cons
Everything after the pros
processed applications
Medicaid Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kosciusko, MSJuly 9, 2018
● Determined an applicant’s eligibility for care
● Verified the accuracy of information given by client
● Communicated with client with developments with their case
● Expedited the decision within 30 days
Secure place to work with plenty of time off, holidays and great benefits
Staff Officer (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 2, 2018
I have read some of the other reviews stating there were no benefits and I don't know where they worked but it wasn't the State of Mississippi. A State Employee in Mississippi has great benefits, i.e., insurance, paid holidays, paid time off and retirement program. Yes, the pay could be better, but the benefits make up for most of the difference. I think it's a great place for security and depending on which agency you work for, there is also opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Benefits, paid time off, laid back work environment
Cons
Salary could be better
The department that I work in has one of the most pleasant group of co-workers that I have ever had.
Administrative Assistant VI (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 23, 2018
Assists administration in operations and supervision of a department and/or specific programs or projects with state agency; serve as representative of the department to agency personnel, to other public and private organizations and to the general public; prepare and process reports, legal documents, recording and transcribing minutes for meetings; serve as front desk receptionist as needed. Confer with providers as needed.
Pros
Pleasant work group
Cons
No benefits
A Great State to work in and for.
Regional Assistant Manager-Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 17, 2018
The overall state agencies care about the people they serve and what what is best for all clients especially those who are disable, the children, elderly, victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
A great productive place to learn supervision’s
Sergeant supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSMay 8, 2018
A good place for me to work, was very stressful but a great place to learn strong interpersonal skills. To learn to work together as a team. A place where I learn to be a great supervisor.
Pros
A learning place for supervision
Cons
Stressful
Most jobs have no benefits and the pay is ridiculously low.
Collections Manager/ Title Clerk (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSApril 11, 2018
MS is a trap and there is no room for advancement in most lines of work.
Unless you plan on working at a casino your whole life there isn't many good jobs.
Pros
Centrally Located
Cons
Too many to name
No No No
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 21, 2018
Supposed to be mental health for adolescents, more like behavioral health. Constant fighting among the residents. High turnover for employment. Beware
Pros
Benefits, Pto
Cons
Improper charting(I would know I am a Certified Medical Assistant)...It just wasn't known 😊
hard work
ACTING OPERATIONAL MANAGER ANALYST PERSONAL (Current Employee) –  Stone County, MSFebruary 15, 2018
little pay for the amount of stress
sometime unpredictable schedule.
Longer hours with no overtime pay
Sometime hostile working environment
Pension plan excellent.
very good work environment
IT Director (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 14, 2018
job allowed me the opportunity to better the career of my employees. it was rewarding to be able to set and accomplish long and short term goals for the Department of Agriculture and Commerce.
Liars
Same (Former Employee) –  Rankin County, MSFebruary 6, 2018
Mema is not what it is cracked up to be. Worked my heart out by revamping this current opening. I mean everything. I recieved a 4.0 and a request to change my title. Promised it would happen once the insecure supervisor retired. Instead came back after vacation to being terminated. No one understood it. It was 6 weeks prior to becoming state service. So unless you are a male ex military and they know you as a buddy. You have no chance to make it here. They all gossip and lie like teenagers and most just take a smoke outside in this group. They were always in trouble with the executive director. So run, or dont because either way whoever recieves this job will in heriate a better product than i did. I was on anxiety pills because of my superior and how some of the men would talk to you. And trust me, i am not ssying this as a disgruntled employee. Im saying this because.this makes twice the government took all my talents and use them up, then let me go. So all I'm saying is be careful because where I am now I'm even more blessed and its not with the state government.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Everything else
Good Benefits
Information Health Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tupelo, MSJanuary 31, 2018
n/a-nothing to say really other than great job for someone who has a family and needs weekends off and holidays. The pay is not all that great, nor promoting.
Overworked and overpaid
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJanuary 29, 2018
When you work for the state, you make enough to not receive any public assistance, but barely. Lord forbid an emergency takes place. If you drop the ball, then you will fall.
Pros
Time
Cons
pay
Excellent experience
Mental Health Institutional Director (Current Employee) –  MississippiJanuary 19, 2018
No better retirement plan, supportive with continuing education, 401k plan, insurance provided, combined days off including vacation and holidays over 30 days
Great Co-Workers, Sub-par Compensation
Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Brookhaven, MSDecember 9, 2017
Overall nice place to work. Great employees, but the pay is not great after taxes, retirement, and insurances are deducted. Those items take 1/2 your paycheck and rarely any room for advancement.
Loved those I worked with
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hernando, MSOctober 10, 2017
This was my very first job, and I look back and am so honored that I was able to do this job so early on in life. It really gave me the first opportunity to really develop customer service skills.
DHS large office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 2, 2017
Social workers and supervisors work late almost everyday. You don't get paid overtime. Some days you don't get a break (smoke, lunch, or otherwise). Collaboration between employees is discouraged by upper-level supervisors. You are constantly interrupted and have no privacy; anyone can walk into your office and go through your paperwork or files. Some positions have a workload that should be covered by two or more people instead of one.
Cons
no breaks, teamwork is discouraged, poor pay, earned time off is only allowed if stipulations are met
Great working environment.
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 25, 2017
PROS: Great career for working with individuals with disabilities. Great atmosphere. Opportunity to learn.

CONS: Not many opportunities for advancement. Fast-paced and plenty of case work. Sometimes have to work without an assistant.
Pros
good healthcare
Cons
stressful