State of Missouri
59Below average

State of Missouri Employee Reviews

United States497 reviews
great place to work
I enjoyed working for the state could have seen myself retiring from there but left to move to florida one of the biggest regrets of my life but would encourage anybody to work there
Great place to learn and offers good balance for family/work life
The knowledge I gained from my employment with the State is so valuable. I learned about substance use, families, mental health issues, and so much more. The employees including managers mentored me and taught me such great life lessons and encouraged my growth and advancement.

I truly am grateful for the opportunity to be employed with the State.
A lot of work for low pay
The caseload I was given was unmanageable. Upper management is aware of the extremely high workload and low pay and is unwilling to hire more people or raise pay. Upper Management is incompetent.
Do not work here, it is a waste of time and talent.
Any Missouri Probation/ Parole officer that gives a positive review for this job is lying or too new to the position to know better. It is a very demanding job that requires you to face society's worst every day, it will cloud your outlook on life forever. The success of any job starts with good management and this is where MDOC falls woefully short, starting with Jefferson City.
Pros
Fellow officers are typically great and will become your best friends, this is necessary to survive this job because no one else can fully understand what we do.
Cons
This is a professional career that is tragically underpaid. Management culture. Workload, stress, officer safety, worthwhile advancement, no incentive structure.
Too much work, low pay
We are unstaffed and overworked, with no option for advancement. Receiving 10+ cases per week, no effort was made by Jefferson City to reduce the amount of cases. DHSS attempted to implement a special investigations unit and failed, our region lost over half its workers as a result. If you need a place holder or are ok with being overworked and only receiving raises when all state employees do. This is the job for you
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Healthy manager and employee relationship. Good place to work. Flexible work hours. Sometimes remote option. Diversity in the project team. Supportive group of people.
Nothing to say
Benefits are not that good and pay is the 2nd lowest in the nation I would not recamind this job for the lack of leadership and the way the state is leaning in the operations and employee codes of ethics
Professional and flexible work environment
The office is busy and productive without being overly stressful. The work is interesting and important to both the public and the State of Missouri. The staff is supportive of each other while still being helpful to the public.
The job
I love my job. I just feel that I have reached my potential and need to further my career My job is a great job but their could be more room for advancement
Micro-managed
Horribly managed. Employees are harassed about their time management. Employees expected not to make mistakes, Employees encouraged to find other people's mistakes and report them to management while making sure their work is 100% accurate.
Unfair pay
No raise by office of admistrtion
In 7 years been told they are working on it for 3 years

The only raise was by the state.

Not paid for the responsibilities

I have
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Grossly under paid
Wonderful institution and department to work for
Work and life balance are phenominal I enjoyed being able to go home after a day of work and being able to have my home life too. Family atmosphere and co workers are great.
Overworked
Lack of appropriate staffing and low salary. Management not responsive to the staff feeling overwhelming and unable to handle workload that is 50% higher than it should be .
Fast paced job that can be rewarding
A typical day at Children's Division is fast paced, lots to do and that needs to be done. Helping families get the help they need and keeping children safe.
I have learned a lot during my time with Children's Division.

Management is good, expect their employees to complete their job duties and support them at the same time.

Diverse workplace culture

being able to keep children safe and either reunify them with their parents or find them a forever home.
Pros
over time
Structured
Management was not always the best but work functioned. There was a lot of structure and strict guidelines to follow. Management had leads but rarely let them take the lead.
Pros
Free lunches
Good benefits
Working for the state of Missouri, you learn a lot of new things. There's flexibility in scheduling, strength in numbers and deep support between coworkers.
Good Career, Just Stressful
best for those with no marriage. good flexibility with kids while simultaneously being overworked, drained, underappreciated, disrespected by parents and children, and even team members in court system. high expectations with great internal reward.
Terrible place to work
Very difficult to work here. Not much support and dangerous at times. Would not recommend employment here. Very high risk in comparison to amount of pay.
Changing LIves
I greatly enjoyed being a foster placement. The team in the 26th Circuit was amazing, our wards were challenging, and being sub contracted with Great Circle was amazing.
Plenty of paid time off.
Your supervisors will blame you for their mistakes. Most of your fellow CO's are going to be childish, immature and quite possibly dangerous to you. You are going to be working 16 to 18 hours a day, 5 days per week. If you are a kind person you probably will not be after 6 months of being there. This is not a job for someone who enjoys spending time with their family. You will spend more time in the prison that out of it.
Cons
Working 16-18 hour shifts, 5 days a week.
The state lets horrible bosses stay until they retire
Despite multiple complaints by employees and customers, administration does nothing about supervisors who bring employee morale down. Most supervisors are in place until they retire, despite their ways. Administration will pretend they are interested in hearing your concerns, but then will turn around and tell the supervisor everything you said. Needless to say, that can result in a very bad work environment. When supervisors don't get along, they tell their employees not to interact with the other supervisor. There was a time when time was of the essence and I needed guidance from a supervisor. My supervisor "caught" me talking to the supervisor he/she hated and literally yelled at me like I was a child. A horrible, horrible way to conduct business.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Missouri. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight