State of Montana Employee Reviews

Positive work environment
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTOctober 4, 2018
management was very easy to work for and laid back. this position gave me a lot of work experience and knowledge. The hardest part of the job was constantly keeping up with my coworker. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I am helping as many people as I can.
Horrible
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  MontanaSeptember 20, 2018
I wouldn't recommend working at this place to anyone. The pay is horrible and the management even worse. The employees are great people but the state does not care about the guards here.
Challenging
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTSeptember 14, 2018
Provides a challenging work environment, Overall, you get a lot of support from colleagues and it is truly a collaborative environment. Many people there have over 20 plus years of experience.
Great benefits
District Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTSeptember 8, 2018
State of Montana jobs provide secure jobs with great benefits.I enjoyed working there, it was a great career choice. They helped me financially when I returned to school to complete my degree.
Low wage
Developmental Disabilities Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTSeptember 6, 2018
Low wage for my job compared to other states for the same position. Top heavy in management. May be different in other departments within the state....
Pros
flexible
Cons
Top heavy management
Loved this position
Vision Rehabilitation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTJuly 26, 2018
The opportunity to help individuals dealing with vision loss was very rewarding. I had the experience of assisting many people with assistive devices and education. My primary objective was to help people retain as much independence as possible. State money issues and lack of federal funding cut my position short.
beautiful area to work in.
Landscape Technician (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTJuly 25, 2018
Great place to work and has many opportunities to learn and gain experience on equipment. On-call over the winter isn't so bad and the benefits are great.
State of Montana
Petroleum Brownfields Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJuly 24, 2018
Staff are underpaid and not held accountable. Management is overpaid and not held accountable.
I would not recommend that any one willingly take a position in most sections of Montana State government.
Poor place to work. Run!
Former Grant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MT DESJuly 23, 2018
DES is management by meetings. Do not trust their subject matter experts but micromanage them constantly. Do not delegate authority/decision making. An unhappy place to work
Pros
Fairly good pay
Cons
Rife with politics.
Very casual work environment, but a heavy workload with deadlines and stressful situations. People tend to be a bit tough on public employees.
Residential Appraiser (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 14, 2018
State jobs are great to get your foot in the door, or end your working career due to pretty good retirement benefits. The overall compensation varies greatly with the level you are at- most of the salaries would not be considered a comfortable living wage as a single income. Many State employees have second jobs to get by.
Run away
Child Protection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJuly 11, 2018
Absolute lack of ethics, support, or regard for the safety of workers. When I first joined the role was great but with changes in supervision and policy it’s deteriorated.

Management are openly hostile, manipulative, and unwilling to provide employees with vital support and information.
Pros
Good pay for Montana
Cons
Lack of ethics, hostile environment, lack of support, management will throw employees under the bus
Sucked
Tire and mechanic (Former Employee) –  Deer Lodge, MTJune 30, 2018
It suckef being an inmate in that prison, the gaurds sucked the food sucked no money hardly long work hour the other inmates just kept messing everything up.
overall good
Sergeant / Officer (Former Employee) –  Deer Lodge, MTJune 28, 2018
competent security practices were learned, firearms training completed, clothed and unclothed body searches, searches of inmate property, searches of visitors entering the facility
Enjoyed my work for the State of Montana
Water Rights Analyst-DENR Division (Former Employee) –  Havre, MTJune 26, 2018
This job was a great learning experience. I was new to this area and working for the DENR provided me insight to the lifestyle and personalities of the people I worked with and for.
Pros
Good working staff
Good work enviroment, low pay
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Mary, MTJune 19, 2018
Job is fast paced in winter months, slow in spring time and summer, keep talking about privatising the department of transportation, pay could be better
Pros
good benefits and home time
Cons
low pay, no job security
Temporary Job
Data Entry Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTMay 14, 2018
I loved the culture and the employees. I wish I could have obtained a full time position there. I enjoyed my full time temp position at the Department of Revenue.
Good working environment
Supervisor, Health and Human Services Division (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTMay 10, 2018
Good work experience, learned about the state functions of management of appropriated money and how they funds were spent. Able to work on own without direct supervision
Pros
Tie Off
a good learning experience
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Deer Lodge, MTMay 1, 2018
for those looking for something different, look here; so many different possibilities and opportunities; the states has nurses for many different positions from mental health, to insurance claims to psychiatric; just take your pick
A culture of burn out
Manager (Current Employee) –  Helena, MTApril 28, 2018
The state of montana is overall a great place to work if you live in the state, yet the department I work in (OPA) is not and burn out is common. People bail like drowning rats!
Had to work there
Various roles (Former Employee) –  Deer Lodge, MTApril 23, 2018
I was a group 1 firefighter for the crew I was on and went back to check for hotspots. On the farm I milked cows and did processing for cheese. I was a janitor at the courthouse.