State of Nebraska Employee Reviews

Wouldn't recommend
Juvenile Treatment Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEFebruary 1, 2019
Office culture was less than desirable. Petty, cliquey co-workers, and lack of addressing this by management made a hostile work environment. They do have extensive training, but how they tell you things will go while you're in training are NOT how it turns out to be! Caseloads are almost double what they tell you in training; the "caseload calculations" aren't realistic for success. While they are trying to change the "culture" of probation, those that have been around do not seem too keen on changing thought processes. They are VERY firm on no overtime/comp time, so hopefully you can be a robot and get everything you need to get done in 40 hours.
Pros
Paid trainings, paid vacations, comp time (instead of overtime)
Cons
Hostile work environment, high caseloads
The Position is Difficult
Hearing Officer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 25, 2019
When I started, I was told there would be 2, 3 at the most, hearings per day. One person quit and the position was not filled for 4 months. I am not the greatest, but there was no way to keep up. Should also be some formal training system for the state regulations.
Criminal Identification Division CID -State Patrol
Records Analysis Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 24, 2019
CID will put on a good show at first by upper management and say that they will train and support you. Over time you will see that is far from the truth you wont be trained but be expected to know everything from setting up your computer to be expected to create new systems while still supporting and training your team and completing your everyday duties. You will learn you are alone and as every job be a self starter beyond of what you are being paid to do. Kindness is mistaken as a weakness. If you start to surpass the director he is sure to point out your areas of struggle rather than provide guidance. The work is great the treatment you get will affect you, your family and will slowly destroy your charecter. Fear has let this contuine for too long.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of training, leadership bullying, nepotism, verbal abuse, discrimination
Stepford filmed here!
Really good bad example, shunned free thinker (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NEJanuary 20, 2019
Just don't. This Lexington call center is dismal. You will be disappointed. If post traumatic disorders are your thing, this is the place to get one. To heck with them, the admins and the directors and governor. No one is providing solutions. Heaven forbid these customers were empowered. So absolutely retching display of "leadership" and the epitome of every meme bad joke and opinion of "government employees".
From this location, to the administration, HR, directors, governor. What is wrong with Nebraska is nothing more than experienced knowledge persons mistakenly identified as "leaders" or leadership material. Please don't. Take your skills or education and go to another state, not kidding. It is not just this location or assistance programs. It is rampant throughout the government systems and no one is stopping them or helping you. Don't be a fool. Walk away now. Think this over. Google search or FB search for employment posts. I swear you will find all the evidence you need to RUN and never consider Nebraska government again. I mean, you might be able to conform and rise to the top, but it will cost you your identify, your soul and you will never be able to save face with the people who know you or return to this side of the fence. Dont be a traitor just stay far away from this hole in the country misconduct of an excuse for government and its administration
AS Archer would say, " Do you want PTSD? Because working at the Lex call Center or Nebraska State Department of anything is EXACTLY how you get PTSD.

Listen! RUN! If they ever ask for your honest opinion,
  more... or want you to share your insight, or seem sympathetic to you or your casue- Its a trap. Say nothing RUN!
I don't care how broke or how badly you think you need the benefits, coverage, pay. It is not worth your peace of mind or your soul.
Pros
A paycheck for sitting at a desk, helping real people survive Nebraska
Cons
Soul sucking, demeaning, intimidation, conformity, regression, failure
New and exciting changes all the time.
Statistical Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 18, 2019
I found it to be a rewarding place to work. Some days were fast paced with deadlines that had to be met and other days things just sort of mellowed out with helpful people and good wages.
In home care provider
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEJanuary 15, 2019
I went to the client house got her dressed everyday. Help her when she wanted to take a shower and fixed her dinner. Went back laid her down. Then got her back up for a little while. Went over there about nine pm then help her get in bed for the night.
state of ne
Caregiver/Companion (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 10, 2019
it was good it was a lot of work they changed things almost very month that was stressful but it wasn't bad just had to keep up with them about things
Pros
work from home
Cons
changed the time sheets way to much lack of conatct with worker
very unhealthy environment
Developmental Disabilities Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NEJanuary 4, 2019
I received a total of one day of training. The people I worked with have worked together for many years and made it very clear they did not want or need another worker in the office.
benefits
Cons
unhealthy working environment
A place to work
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Gering, NEDecember 29, 2018
As a DHHS Home Health aide I would basically be on my own day to day, the most interaction I had with anyone else in the state is when I would submit my hours.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NEDecember 12, 2018
Was a great place to work. I learned lots about mentally disabled people. I had opportunities to advance as a shift supervisor fairly quickly. Great staff
The State of Nebraska
Babysitter (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NEDecember 3, 2018
They are pretty easy to work with. I would recommend it to anyone. The pay rates could be a little more, especially when there is more than three children.
too many cases for some
Child and Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 29, 2018
This job is different than expected. Some of the people who hold the position have a very high case load which may make the job harder most of the time.
An educational experience
Intern, Public Information Office (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 27, 2018
Enjoyed working for the Department of Economic Development with a great collaborative team. Our goal was to showcase the strong companies and industries in the state and help promote business growth.
working in gym
Lead Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, NENovember 7, 2018
you must be ready to deal with over 900 people every day, very different attitudes. exciting,fast paced enviroment. the management was fun to deal with. the best part of the job was getting to know all the different people.
Pros
use of gym
Cons
had to smell bad sents
Productive and busy workplace
Child/Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 11, 2018
The tasks at hand each day varied, so there was never any dull moments. The management lacked motivation sometimes to be there for their employees. The hardest part of the job is trying to help everyone and being pulled in every which way and can't be in multiple places at once.
Pros
Flexibility in schedule.
Cons
stressful environment.
Positive and helpful co-workers.
Resource Developer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 9, 2018
Co-workers are good listeners and willing to bounce new ideas around with you to problem solve situations. Best part of the day is to see clients happy and healthy and learning and growing as well as families and Guardians happy. Worst part is when a client has to be moved often.
Overall a decent place to work but with little room for career advancement.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 9, 2018
Overall a decent place to work but with little room for career advancement. Additionally, due to unavoidable budget cuts not compensated equal to job requirements.
I miss the people I worked with everyday. Administration needs to listen to the people who do the job daily and compensate them for a job well done.
UNIT CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 5, 2018
Government is not listening to the line staff and people are getting hurt. There needs to be retention bonuses as 100s of years of experience are walking out the door.
I never lacked work to do
Staff Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 3, 2018
I loved everything I did at NPERS. Everyone was very pleasant! Looking for information on members while attempting to prepare there file for retirement was a little challenging at times and receiving requested information from the school due to the members employment with the schools, some information wasn't available for the 1986 back for records.
Pros
I loved working independently!
Cons
The atmosphere-coworkers.
Great work/life balance, but it comes at the cost of being paid fair market value
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 21, 2018
My positions in the state provided me with a somewhat flexible 8-5, M-F schedule with many holidays off. Compared to my past employers, that provided a very nice work/life balance. It comes at the cost of being paid a fair market wage though. Most of the positions require degrees and years of experience. You are compensated much less than your peers in the industry, and oftentimes asked to do more. There has been a hiring freeze for a couple years now, which has caused employees to take on multiple roles and large workloads. This also makes it more difficult to advance, because departments are only allowed to post for positions approved by the Governor's office. Advancing is more about waiting for people above you to retire or take new jobs than your own abilities and accomplishments.
Pros
Work/life balance, work independently
Cons
Pay, opportunity for advancement