State of Nebraska Employee Reviews

Productive and busy workplace
Child/Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 11, 2018
The tasks at hand each day varied, so there was never any dull moments. The management lacked motivation sometimes to be there for their employees. The hardest part of the job is trying to help everyone and being pulled in every which way and can't be in multiple places at once.
Pros
Flexibility in schedule.
Cons
stressful environment.
Positive and helpful co-workers.
Resource Developer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 9, 2018
Co-workers are good listeners and willing to bounce new ideas around with you to problem solve situations. Best part of the day is to see clients happy and healthy and learning and growing as well as families and Guardians happy. Worst part is when a client has to be moved often.
Overall a decent place to work but with little room for career advancement.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 9, 2018
Overall a decent place to work but with little room for career advancement. Additionally, due to unavoidable budget cuts not compensated equal to job requirements.
I miss the people I worked with everyday. Administration needs to listen to the people who do the job daily and compensate them for a job well done.
UNIT CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 5, 2018
Government is not listening to the line staff and people are getting hurt. There needs to be retention bonuses as 100s of years of experience are walking out the door.
I never lacked work to do
Staff Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 3, 2018
I loved everything I did at NPERS. Everyone was very pleasant! Looking for information on members while attempting to prepare there file for retirement was a little challenging at times and receiving requested information from the school due to the members employment with the schools, some information wasn't available for the 1986 back for records.
Pros
I loved working independently!
Cons
The atmosphere-coworkers.
Great work/life balance, but it comes at the cost of being paid fair market value
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 21, 2018
My positions in the state provided me with a somewhat flexible 8-5, M-F schedule with many holidays off. Compared to my past employers, that provided a very nice work/life balance. It comes at the cost of being paid a fair market wage though. Most of the positions require degrees and years of experience. You are compensated much less than your peers in the industry, and oftentimes asked to do more. There has been a hiring freeze for a couple years now, which has caused employees to take on multiple roles and large workloads. This also makes it more difficult to advance, because departments are only allowed to post for positions approved by the Governor's office. Advancing is more about waiting for people above you to retire or take new jobs than your own abilities and accomplishments.
Pros
Work/life balance, work independently
Cons
Pay, opportunity for advancement
Great company
ROW AGENT II (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 19, 2018
Great movement in the company, Great benefits, Great Pay
I like working for the company because of the PTO, benefits, and pay. We have flexibility and the chance to move up in the company.
Great place to work, just need staff
Youth Protection Services (Current Employee) –  Geneva, NESeptember 9, 2018
I live my job but due to not enough staff, current staff required to work too many hours. Sometimes staff are working back to back 16 hour shifts. When No one volunteers then peoplecare manditoried to work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not enough staff
Toxic work enviornment
Nebraska (NE) (Former Employee) –  Nebraska (NE)September 1, 2018
only a 6 month contract that was primarily from home - so I'm not really someone that has much to say about what it was like to work for this agency, department
Excellent work environment
Staff Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 27, 2018
I work with wonderful people who have a clear understanding of the job and where it is heading. This job is exciting and fun. I am challanged every day with new and exciting projects.
Not your typical IT Department
State Network Analyst - Senior (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 22, 2018
In my experience of the IT industry, the Networking department for the State of Nebraska does not fit the stereotype. There is a great deal of laughter and camaraderie within the team.
State of Nebraska
Care Taker for Disabled Children (Current Employee) –  NebraskaAugust 21, 2018
This is a contract with them, I am a care provider and make my own schedule according to what the parents need as far as time with the children. This is an independent contractor position that requires back ground investigations.
Pros
easy
Cons
Being payed on time is a concern
Flexible hours and some positions allow you to work from home as needed
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Somehwere in NebraskaAugust 13, 2018
Some agencies will give you the opportunity to develop your skills and learn. Others do not, but this also depends on your supervisor. I have had great supervisors at the SON and I have had horrible supervisors at the SON. There is way too much unethical things occurring with promoting people to positions they do NOT deserve and/or are not even qualified for. Lots on unfair treatment occurs.
Pros
Flexible hours, can work remotely for some positions, like the work
Cons
too many chiefs and not enough indians, too many leadership layers
Great Place
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 6, 2018
I have learnt a lot about Medicaid and Health Care . Everyone here believes in collaborative approach. Friendly environment. Great Place to be , will recommend !
Job's fine, supervisor isn't
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Capitol BuilidngJuly 28, 2018
Writing this as a warning to those looking into applying for the Capitol Tour Aide position. The job is as advertised. It's giving tours to the public and groups. That part is fine, I quite enjoyed it. The Current supervisor that oversees the two tour guides is a nutjob so think twice about accepting this position.
Pros
The job itself
Cons
The current supervisor of the tour office
Good
Therapeutic Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 16, 2018
This is a job for those with a huge heart for children. There is not always the support given that is needed. The work can be very hard, but very rewarding. I would only go into this if you are ok with high needs children with extreme behaviors.
Would have it would have to be the nursing homes good activity for the residence
Medication Aide/CNA (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 16, 2018
Typical day at work will be getting to work at a fishing time to start your day a typical day would be getting notes and exchanging information as far as the resident goes. The hardest part about the job will be when people don't come to work like they supposed to it makes it hard on other workers because they have to pick up the extra Slack. The funniest part about the job would be interacting with the residents talking and doing activities with the residence and getting to know who you you working with as well.
Staff are dedicated, loyal and friendly.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 12, 2018
The director leads a staff of 25 people who take care of the maintenance and repair of the capitol building. Most of the staff have been working at the state for a long time so they are experts. It is a good work environment and everyone works together to get the job done.
A day in the life of a Program Specialist
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  NebraskaJune 25, 2018
Everyday is different,with a focus on activity at hand. Learning about Medicaid and opportunities for quality improvement. Culture is changing under new leadership with business acumen in mind, which is a very positive and refreshing change. Collaboration may happen someday across departments.
Pros
great people kind and supportive
Cons
silos gallore
Good work place
Personnel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 24, 2018
Enjoyed working there. More management than workers. Nt open to chaanges that would make jobs easier. I loved what I was doing in payrll, but the load was very demanding.