State of New Hampshire Employee Reviews

no comment
Mental Health Worker III (Current Employee) –  Laconia, NHJanuary 16, 2019
I worked at The DRF for 17 and a half years and over the years there has been many ups and downs, and it recently has gone through a complete over haul, and is no longer the place that I was hired to work at. Although I can easily transition to any type of environment, as I am willing to learn new things and I am open minded, I feel that this place has leaders and no team work and involving everyone is no longer something that is being done.
Pros
set schedule
Cons
rotating schedules, lack of team planning
It was a great experience and career move
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHJanuary 2, 2019
The state was a great place for my career, I learned a great many things in my 30 years there. I became a manager and finished my career with this job.
Pros
Helped with my receiving. A pension
Cons
A very good experience
good place to work
Print Shop Offset Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHDecember 21, 2018
I very clean place to work. very busy to work in. the management was good to the workers. the work inverimenty was good. The work was given out fairly.
Pros
easy day
Cons
need more help
Stressful Environment
Highway Maintainer II (Current Employee) –  Hooksett, NHNovember 3, 2018
The work at this job is not terrible, although the conditions make it more difficult. Combined with the awful culture and shady upper management, the low compensation and the lack of collaboration, it is not surprising to see such a vast number of job openings recently.
This is a seasonal job managing a State Park on NH Seacoast.
Park Manager, Hampton Beach State Park (Current Employee) –  Hampton, NHOctober 25, 2018
Being a seasonal job April through October, you hit the ground running to get the park and grounds ready. A typical day would include opening a day use area, overseeing the operation of 2 retail locations, and management of an RV Park. At the end of a day, cash reporting, and reviewing scheduled events for the next day. The days are long, but rewarding. Working outside has many benefits, and working with patrons of the park has it's rewards as well. The hardest part of the job is finding help for seasonal positions.
Pros
Working outside, fair pay, and the job comes with an RV site.
Cons
Long hours, living on site makes you a "captive audience". Benefits are available, but paid for by employee.
work at any agency in NH Govt is the same POOR
Health & Human Services (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHSeptember 17, 2018
Very poor management at most agencies. You can throw a dart at a dartboard and get the same results at any agency you work for. Please understand, the decision to work for the state has been the worst of my life, and has and will be and never change. Management is poor, too strict and then too loose, the management encroaches on everything you do, then they leave you alone forever and say you haven't done any work. The management doesn't know whether they are coming or going anywhere! Have you ever had 100 micro managers looking over your shoulders? That is what it's like working for state government. Often your good work is usurped by others, so that they can take credit for your good work. If you have a legitimate reason to take a day off, they verify until they find something wrong with your request. They take other peoples word, and not yours as truth. There are basically no careers at the state, in fact working for the state will probable make your career disappear. A lot of state workers openly waste taxpayer money by goofing off and then stabbing others in the back if you complain about their work/ethics. Long standing management protect the backs of those who don't work. Management practice or management style is of "fear" and "fear mongering" and they all perform it best. The actual work to do is really very minimal, unless your a "State Trooper" or a toll booth $ collector and those jobs are disappearing also. The entire workforce of appox 10K can be deduced to an estimate of 1K and the state could really save $$$$. The State is a huge example of "THE  more... GOOD OL BOYZ NETWORK IN ACTION" I'm really looking forward to going into the private sector.  less
Pros
Cons
too many to list
sucked to be there
Desktop Publishing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHAugust 22, 2018
This was not a great environment for all employees, and we strive to provide no opportunity or security for all. All in all it just was not a good place to be
Pros
Cons
everything
fine
Court Monitor/ Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dover, NHJuly 21, 2018
fine place to work, good benefits, low pay, a lot of stress and constant work, no real room for advancement. consistent work, unpredictable hours. long drive
Not a bad place of work overall
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hooksett, NHJuly 17, 2018
Working for the state has it's ups and downs. Many of the part time people working do not get the leisure and gifts that full time people do. Only being able to work 28 hours a week with no benefits gets to you. If you are only looking for a part time with no benefits, then this job would fit you.
Flexible
Administrative Services/ Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHJune 12, 2018
The state of NH has a very flexible work environment. They provide great dental and medical coverage. It is very easy to accumulate vacation time. You have a lot of freedom
Rewarding job
Adult Protective Social Worker III Remote (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHJune 12, 2018
Rewarding job working with the most vulnerable population in New Hampshire. Supportive co-workers and community agencies. The hardest part of the job was the lack of resources which is where creativity is used and relied on in many situations
Pros
Health insurance, time off, work schedule
Cons
Lack of resources and training
Court Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NH, Seabrook, NHMay 25, 2018
Great place to gain knowledge and experience. The lessons learned and knowledge gained can be used in many other jobs additionally used in my personal life.
Pros
Secure job with overtime
Cons
Shift work
Lots of OT available
Probation and Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  NHMay 6, 2018
If you are looking for an opportunity to work a lot of overtime, this is the place for you. Often forced due to staff shortages, the state prison will gratefully let you work 16 hours a day to include your weekends.
Pros
Lots of money
Cons
Not a lot of time of time off
Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHApril 22, 2018
Fine place to work, would recommend. I do not want to do this stupid survey, but I'm being made to or I cannot continue. This site has no business asking me all this, and I do not appreciate it.
Can be great place to work depending on which Agency
Program Specialist IV, Financial Compliance (Former Employee) –  Concord, NH 03301March 26, 2018
I was with the State for 20 years, had to take a year off for personal reasons. I worked my way up from a labor grade 5 to labor grade 25 so it you have initiative and desire you can learn a great deal and there are advancement opportunities
Pros
Benefits, Advancement
review summary
AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHMarch 2, 2018
They don't promote from within. It is very political. Instead of trying to promote those qualified the go outside. It is not very good for moral. They employees are not recognized for the good work they do.
benefits
Cons
pay
State Work
Safety & Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHFebruary 14, 2018
Every Department is very different. Environmental Services is phenomenal, with a great work environment. I can't say the same for the different agencies with the state.
Rewarding and educational work
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Hampton, NHFebruary 12, 2018
Developed EMS skills as well as physical fitness routines that improved quality of life. Teamwork centered atmosphere that allows for networking in many other fields.
Pros
Paid fitness training
Cons
Prolonged exposure to sunlight
Seasonal , Temporary work
Special Deputy Forest Fire Warden (Current Employee) –  Milan, NHFebruary 9, 2018
Wildland / Special Deputy Fire Warden.
Enforce burning laws. Public Education on fire prevention.
Limited Fire Suppression, due to fuel type , and weather.
Assists State Ranger's, and local Fire Dept.'s
Decent place to work
Hm2 (Former Employee) –  Conway, NHFebruary 9, 2018
A good place to work when you have a good crew and guys that you get along with, winter can be long and hard at the end you feel accomplished and have something proud of
Pros
Plenty of time off paid
Cons
Never can make plans in the winter