State of New Hampshire Employee Reviews

Flexible
Administrative Services/ Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHJune 12, 2018
The state of NH has a very flexible work environment. They provide great dental and medical coverage. It is very easy to accumulate vacation time. You have a lot of freedom
Rewarding job
Adult Protective Social Worker III Remote (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHJune 12, 2018
Rewarding job working with the most vulnerable population in New Hampshire. Supportive co-workers and community agencies. The hardest part of the job was the lack of resources which is where creativity is used and relied on in many situations
Pros
Health insurance, time off, work schedule
Cons
Lack of resources and training
Court Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NH, Seabrook, NHMay 25, 2018
Great place to gain knowledge and experience. The lessons learned and knowledge gained can be used in many other jobs additionally used in my personal life.
Pros
Secure job with overtime
Cons
Shift work
Lots of OT available
Probation and Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  NHMay 6, 2018
If you are looking for an opportunity to work a lot of overtime, this is the place for you. Often forced due to staff shortages, the state prison will gratefully let you work 16 hours a day to include your weekends.
Pros
Lots of money
Cons
Not a lot of time of time off
Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHApril 22, 2018
Fine place to work, would recommend. I do not want to do this stupid survey, but I'm being made to or I cannot continue. This site has no business asking me all this, and I do not appreciate it.
Can be great place to work depending on which Agency
Program Specialist IV, Financial Compliance (Former Employee) –  Concord, NH 03301March 26, 2018
I was with the State for 20 years, had to take a year off for personal reasons. I worked my way up from a labor grade 5 to labor grade 25 so it you have initiative and desire you can learn a great deal and there are advancement opportunities
Pros
Benefits, Advancement
review summary
AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHMarch 2, 2018
They don't promote from within. It is very political. Instead of trying to promote those qualified the go outside. It is not very good for moral. They employees are not recognized for the good work they do.
benefits
Cons
pay
State Work
Safety & Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHFebruary 14, 2018
Every Department is very different. Environmental Services is phenomenal, with a great work environment. I can't say the same for the different agencies with the state.
Rewarding and educational work
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Hampton, NHFebruary 12, 2018
Developed EMS skills as well as physical fitness routines that improved quality of life. Teamwork centered atmosphere that allows for networking in many other fields.
Pros
Paid fitness training
Cons
Prolonged exposure to sunlight
Seasonal , Temporary work
Special Deputy Forest Fire Warden (Current Employee) –  Milan, NHFebruary 9, 2018
Wildland / Special Deputy Fire Warden.
Enforce burning laws. Public Education on fire prevention.
Limited Fire Suppression, due to fuel type , and weather.
Assists State Ranger's, and local Fire Dept.'s
Decent place to work
Hm2 (Former Employee) –  Conway, NHFebruary 9, 2018
A good place to work when you have a good crew and guys that you get along with, winter can be long and hard at the end you feel accomplished and have something proud of
Pros
Plenty of time off paid
Cons
Never can make plans in the winter
A Workers Paradise
Radiological Technician (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHFebruary 8, 2018
What great Comradeship! We always conducted ourselves as one happy collective. The shop supervisor was like a Big Brother to us. He took care of every detail, all we had to do was follow his instruction. We were one team, with one goal and one leader! A Paradise for workers.
Pros
Good Comradeship
Cons
A constant turnover of follow workers
Workplace Culture
Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHFebruary 8, 2018
I work with a very good group of people, which makes coming to work every day enjoyable. I know my work expectations and complete my various tasks in a timely fashion without having to be told by management.
Pros
medical, dental, and life insurance
Great place with friendly coworkers
Toll Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, NHJanuary 26, 2018
Lots of people are friendly and helpful at their job here. Many people enjoy the relaxed pace. There is a mixture of different people working here which makes it enjoyable.
Pros
Great Healthcare.
Cons
Depends on votes for certain things.
State Welfare Office
Department of Health and Human Services (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 22, 2018
Very good place to work laid back most of the time. A lot of work but worth doing. Very understanding people and easy going but the work needs to be done and efficiently done.
Meeting with business leaders from the state and business was very rewarding
Economic Aide / Small Business Advocate (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHDecember 26, 2017
Coordinating meetings with small business leaders, helping small businesses find resources they need from the state. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the state and public.
I enjoyed the job and staff
Radio Dispatcher, Department of Transportation (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHOctober 31, 2017
Loved the position and co-workers. I learned a lot about just what our State road crews do. The one issue was the micromanagement of direct supervisor. The position called more for a level entry person vs. a very experienced office person.
Pros
The work, co-workers.
Cons
Micromanagement, lack of follow through by management, low pay.
great place
Assisting clients (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHOctober 5, 2017
I loved working here. I learned a lot. I knew I was making a difference in peoples lives by doing their medical application eligibility . Making sure I had the right documents.
Stable but not ncessarily competitive with private sector jobs
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHSeptember 21, 2017
Jobs at the state might have been passed by in terms of pay and benefits by the private sector. Since it's a government organization, budgeting concerns can have an impact on wages and opportunities. Still, for job seekers looking to get started in a career, there are good opportunities and great people to work with.
Pros
Good opportunities for people starting out.
Cons
Healthcare benefits aren't as good as they used to be.
Excellent work/life balance
Software Development Specialist V (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHSeptember 11, 2017
The State of New Hampshire provides an excellent work/life balance by promoting good health (walking trails on the campus) and plenty of paid time off.

My typical day consisted of a full plate of development work in an Oracle / Data Warehouse environment.