State of New Mexico Employee Reviews

Difficult environment to work in.
Senior Investigator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87108August 2, 2018
CYFD has undergone changes which are making it difficult for investigators to do their job. It has lead to a hostile work environment. The employees are under appreciated and treated poorly.
I enjoy working with children,families, my coworkers,etc
Receptionist/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Grants, NMJuly 25, 2018
A typical day a work is busy with emergencies, visitations with families, getting state cars ready for employees throughout the day, payments, filing etc. With my supervisor it is pretty hard to take time off,with her being off a lot. I enjoy working with my coworkers and helping out in anyway that I can. I love children and will do what I can to make them feel comfortable and happy.
strenuous job
Janitorial porter (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMJuly 25, 2018
I was an excellent worker while working at the state of new Mexico, however I was almost the only person who strove to be an honest, and hard worker. if someone was in the same situation I was in at the time then that would be the only way I would recommend working for the state of New Mexico as I was
Pros
free meals
Cons
no team attitude
hard work but able to learn alot
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJuly 16, 2018
I had a great boss who was always eager to teach us new things. we always were busy and never had slow or boring days. I learned so much working for my boss i couldn't be more grateful.
Bad Pay, Great Benefits
housekeeper at NM Behavioral Health Institute (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NMJuly 3, 2018
I find a general culture of laziness and lack of concern for others. Most people here are just going through the motions of their jobs and nothing more. The pay is bad but the benefits are great.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Good place to build experience needs better pay.
Operational Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJune 27, 2018
Working with the State of NM you gain a lot of experience in a number of fields the drawback to it though is they don't pay as good as they should but it's a good way to start.
Pros
Breaks, Paid Leave
Cons
Salary, Health Insurance
Good benefits with slow pace work
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJune 26, 2018
Good place to work for the benefits but not the pay, looking for a part time job because the pay is not met for cost of living in Santa Fe, New Mexico
Pros
Good benefits, long breaks
Cons
Bad pay, bad choice of hiring, no job advancement
Lots of Drama and Corruption
Tax Accounts Auditor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 23, 2018
There was a lot of preferential treatment to employees who were related to someone or could "play the game" and kiss-up to the right person, favors given to friends of those in State leadership, and bullying of employees who ask questions about corruption. These made it hard to be a productive employee.
Pros
Hard to get fired.
Cons
Corruption, favoritism, bullying
Cut throat and no appreciation
Cadre (Current Employee) –  Roswell, NMJune 2, 2018
I was a cadre for NMYCA. There was basically no chance for advancement and little chance for raises. Those who excel couldn't really get recognized with compensation or advancement and those who under performed never really got reprimanded.
During my time there, middle management was great but entirely strangled by upper management. So raises or reprimands never got far as it all had to go up to the owners/upper management and they really didn't care as long as warm bodies there to watch the cadets
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Micromanaging, no opportunity for advancement
Demanding and negativity due to the environment
Janitorial/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NMMay 26, 2018
Work performed in a hospital environment, co-workers were stressed and agitated most of the time, due to lack of help. Very fast paced to get work done
Pros
Great benefits, full time
Cons
Not enough help
overall the department struggles to maintain organization
Family Assistance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 20, 2018
very high turn over as the expectations are not conveyed to new hires. Management is very destructive and unyielding in their quest to maintain a healthy and balanced work environment.
Pros
benefits and program knowledge
Cons
Management and the politics
A lot of politics
Coordinator, Office of Injury Prevention (Former Employee) –  New Mexico state-wideMay 18, 2018
I learned a lot and would not trade the experience, however, there were unhealthy dynamics in the office that were not addressed even though there were years of complaints.
Pros
good hours and balance of work/personal life
Cons
political, cut throat, problems swept under the rug
it good place to work
QA Lead /Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMay 17, 2018
no career growth or salary increment when working with states. But got lot of opportunity to learn new things and explorer ourselves in different areas.
Great place to work.
IT Technical Support Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMay 15, 2018
I like the ability to work on my own and achieve at my own pace. I like the retirement and the ability to have off every weekend. I wish there was an opportunity to work overtime if wanted.
Pros
Quiet, my own office
Cons
No overtime availability
Critical
Portales-Magistrate Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMMay 10, 2018
Everyday the desk is piled with cases and there are traffic citations and disgruntled customers. One must strive for the best in all work whether courtroom or counter with minimum error as possible. At times demanding and not room for advancement.
Pros
healthcare and retirement
Cons
short breaks
nm State Forestry
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bernalillo, NMMay 1, 2018
a very good place to work, great employees great job advancement.
learned a lot about wildland fire service and firefighting. great training opportunity.
very good place to work
Hazardous Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMay 1, 2018
very good culture very enjoyable. very good learning environment. training very much the culture. possibility for advancement is great.
very good employees.
State worker
Staff Manager Aging & Long Term Services Depart (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMApril 29, 2018
Working for the state is a working in a bureaucratic environment with a top down mentality. In order to advance, you need to leave your current position and change jobs. THere are seldom any raises.
If you do not have a good supervisor, your life can be bad. Nepotism and favoritism run rampant. Getting another job can be difficult as they usually hire from within. It is a numbers game, you have to keep app;lying to as many jobs as possible in order to find that 1 really open job, as they hire from within most of the time. However, the benefits cannot be bet and if you can last 20-25 years in the system -- they do have an excellent pension plan. Health insurance benefits are great as well.
Do not work at NMBHI
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NMApril 27, 2018
I was a tech there for years and years saw many many awful things .
Seems like NMBHi has gone down hill so much it's not gonna survive much longer.
As for the benefits there are really none the deductibles for the insurance u need a loan the co- pays are also really high good luck if u need blood work done take out a loan for it ...
The overtime is ridiculous they cannot keep anyone employed at NMbhi it's run like a high school drama where u got the favorites that get ahead and hard workers left behind.
No chance for advancement in that place it's who you know or related to.
I have seen where people beat up the patients and are caught on camera but depends who you are nothing will happen to u but if u r not on their favorites list u r out the door...
Funny how they can have people that are on probation for felonies head departments but be me or u we would be out the door ...
Typical work week consistents of 5 16 hour days all the while u are told you can do better than ur best if u refuse to stay for the mandatory overtime daily they will fire you unless u on their favorites list.
As for the union backing the members ,good luck with that most worthless union ever .....
I would not recommend working at NMBHI in any position unless u really need a job get the two weeks training n bail .
Another sad thing is if you are a veteran NMBHI does not give hiring or promotion preference to you pretty sad place to work for unless you a con man n u will move up the ladder there very quickly..
Pros
None what so ever
Cons
high stress, forced overtime, very cheap insurance coverage, very very poor management running that circus
Too slow paced, low pay
Technical Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMApril 24, 2018
Working for the State of New Mexico seemed like a good idea when I signed on. However, the slow pace and low salary was not what I was looking for. I want to be engaged and work in a fast pace environment where cross training and career advancement is possible.