State of New Mexico Employee Reviews

Not given a chance to change current policies
Director - Manage Division (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMOctober 25, 2018
When hired I was told that I would be given an opportunity to change outdated policies. Once in the position, was give very little, if any, opportunity to improve the department.
State Government secured job
Chief Juvenile Probation/Parole District 14 (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMOctober 24, 2018
I was able to maintain employment for 25 years and retire. The job provides job security after 1 year, but it is stressful, due to the nature of the job, Juvenile Probation. You work with high risk youth that do not want your involvement in their life.
Pros
Job security
Cons
very stressful and constant change
I dont recommend people to work for the stated of new mexico.
Adult Protective Service Case Manager/Investigator (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 11, 2018
There is no advancement working for the state of New Mexico, unless someone likes you, or you know someone. The agencies I have worked for have clicks and to much discrimination and favoritism. I have not seen a raise in over 10 years. The Governor has only given raises to state agencies she prefers and veto's every one else. people have been hired in the agency I work for and they get a hire starting salary then I have received. I am ashamed of the State of New Mexico Government Jobs. Like I stated once its not what you know, it's who you know to get a raise, or a good position to help you make good money.
poor management
MVD, AGENT (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMSeptember 17, 2018
the Carlsbad mvd has a very bad manager. Very high turn around because no one know what is going on there. Not sufficient training. Very rude. I made a few complaints to the Santa Fe office, and they didn't believe me. THey did nothing about her harassing me and making it unbareable to work there.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
horrible environment
Unfortunately Management is not proactive or knowledgeable
Eligibility Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMSeptember 16, 2018
I had a bad experience working for the state of new mexico.
expectations are unreal, the culture of this department is to not be helpful, will criticize your work instead of showing you or train you, upper management is not proactive about real problems, everyone has a hidden agenda and unfortunately the state doesn't do much for the morale of the employees, If you are not upper management, you will never succeed with the state of new mexico... It was very disappointing working for the state.
Cons
mircomanaged, insurance with high premiums, unreal expectations, no training, no updated technology, no upgraded computers, require lots from employees but not support from state
I would not reccommend anyone to work for this agency.
File Clerk - Operational File Room (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 7, 2018
Poor management, no advancement for employees, negative attitudes. Not a fun place to work. A hostile work environment.. A typical day at work, checking in files handling all file requests, file searches, filing paper work. The hardest part of the job: not being able to move up in job positions when you were qualified.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
read the review
Unethical and uneducated
Retirement Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMSeptember 6, 2018
They do not train properly and to me set people up to fail I was dealing with abuse in my family and was told to leave my personal life at the door. Work like dogs and terminated instead of mentoring or helping.
Pros
Decent pay and good benefits with retirement
Cons
Too much micromanage not enough training and way too much politics
State work
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2018
Working in the state has its ups and downs. Unfortunately one of the only ways to get an increase in pay is to jump from agency to agency. If you can find a great boss it makes working with the state better.
Sequoyah Adolescent Treatment Center
Mental health technician (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2018
There is no work life balance. Being mandated to work overtime at least once a week is tiring. Underpaid to work with violent residents. Management micromanages
Typical Bureaucracy
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 28, 2018
A bureaucracy that requires patience and tolerance with all the challenges this type of work environment will present. You will be dealing with a variety of personalities and you will need to work effectively with these personalities in order to get your work done.
Fast paced environment
Line Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 13, 2018
Working at the State of NM was very stressful. Trying to please clients and management. Unrealistic goals were set and some not achieved. Not a good working relationship between higher ups in state management and lower level offices
Difficult environment to work in.
Senior Investigator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87108August 2, 2018
CYFD has undergone changes which are making it difficult for investigators to do their job. It has lead to a hostile work environment. The employees are under appreciated and treated poorly.
I enjoy working with children,families, my coworkers,etc
Receptionist/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Grants, NMJuly 25, 2018
A typical day a work is busy with emergencies, visitations with families, getting state cars ready for employees throughout the day, payments, filing etc. With my supervisor it is pretty hard to take time off,with her being off a lot. I enjoy working with my coworkers and helping out in anyway that I can. I love children and will do what I can to make them feel comfortable and happy.
strenuous job
Janitorial porter (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMJuly 25, 2018
I was an excellent worker while working at the state of new Mexico, however I was almost the only person who strove to be an honest, and hard worker. if someone was in the same situation I was in at the time then that would be the only way I would recommend working for the state of New Mexico as I was
Pros
free meals
Cons
no team attitude
hard work but able to learn alot
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJuly 16, 2018
I had a great boss who was always eager to teach us new things. we always were busy and never had slow or boring days. I learned so much working for my boss i couldn't be more grateful.
Bad Pay, Great Benefits
housekeeper at NM Behavioral Health Institute (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NMJuly 3, 2018
I find a general culture of laziness and lack of concern for others. Most people here are just going through the motions of their jobs and nothing more. The pay is bad but the benefits are great.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Good place to build experience needs better pay.
Operational Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJune 27, 2018
Working with the State of NM you gain a lot of experience in a number of fields the drawback to it though is they don't pay as good as they should but it's a good way to start.
Pros
Breaks, Paid Leave
Cons
Salary, Health Insurance
Good benefits with slow pace work
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJune 26, 2018
Good place to work for the benefits but not the pay, looking for a part time job because the pay is not met for cost of living in Santa Fe, New Mexico
Pros
Good benefits, long breaks
Cons
Bad pay, bad choice of hiring, no job advancement
Lots of Drama and Corruption
Tax Accounts Auditor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 23, 2018
There was a lot of preferential treatment to employees who were related to someone or could "play the game" and kiss-up to the right person, favors given to friends of those in State leadership, and bullying of employees who ask questions about corruption. These made it hard to be a productive employee.
Pros
Hard to get fired.
Cons
Corruption, favoritism, bullying
Cut throat and no appreciation
Cadre (Current Employee) –  Roswell, NMJune 2, 2018
I was a cadre for NMYCA. There was basically no chance for advancement and little chance for raises. Those who excel couldn't really get recognized with compensation or advancement and those who under performed never really got reprimanded.
During my time there, middle management was great but entirely strangled by upper management. So raises or reprimands never got far as it all had to go up to the owners/upper management and they really didn't care as long as warm bodies there to watch the cadets
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Micromanaging, no opportunity for advancement