State of New Mexico Employee Reviews

I don’t like it
Jennetty (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMFebruary 28, 2019
I do not like working with the state of New Mexico my supervisors fed me to the wolves and did not explain anything to meWorking as a janitor is not my type of work I would like to work with my hands on
People are great but the work structure is chaos
Family Assistance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 24, 2019
This company doesn’t value my degree. The upper management is primarily reactive and has no long term goals. Job advancement is very questionable. There are great people who work here
Pros
Job security
Cons
Does not value workers education
Underpaid and overworked
Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 20, 2019
State of New Mexico employees are underpaid and overworked. Opportunities in advancement are far and in between and you have to wait a long time to get hired into a new position due to HR type procedures.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Under paid
Working with great diversity
Transportation Inspector (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMFebruary 18, 2019
Working for 25 years at different levels was a great experience. You can challenge yourself. By learning the states statutes and enforcing those laws and rules.
Pros
Work indoors and outdoors
Cons
Travel all over the state
Be prepared to work HARD and not be appreciated, extreme mental exhaustion
Family Assistance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 2, 2019
No consistency. HR does not care for employees or how they are being treated, they'll let management do what they want, so they don't have to do anything. Benefits are not what they used to be, premiums are ok, but co-payments are very expensive. High turn around.
Love working with other professionals
New Mexico Economic Development Commissioner (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 1, 2019
Great time working with the State of New Mexico as one of the Economic Development Commissioners for the people. Time flew by so quickly it appeared to be a blink.
I was my own boss contractual work
Home Base Provider (Current Employee) –  From My HomeJanuary 31, 2019
It is a great position but i did not want to live with my work anymore. took care of individuals with Intellectual Disabilities in my home 24 hours a day. Challenging Behaviors.
Pros
Great business to work from home
Cons
Individuals can have bad behaviors.
Morale is very low
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJanuary 22, 2019
With the change in Government, there is currently very little if any leadership in our division. Actions are not being processed because of lack of leadership and no signature authority.
Fast pace environment
Family Analyst Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMJanuary 18, 2019
A little stressful at times due to clients upset about not receiving benefits on time or not receiving them at all. The office did participate in fun stuff such as pot lucks.
If you can afford to live off the pay its alright
Water Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJanuary 11, 2019
Worked and lived in Santa Fe. Great place. Beautiful area. Great culture. However, the pay is pretty low. Santa Fe is high dollar. No way a family of four could make it. Typical govt job stereotype. Slow paced. Managers take advantage of knowing what they can get away with. Was not open at all to new ideas. I liked the work but there just wasnt much of it. Co workers were great. Was told 50% field work and 50% office work. However, more like 10% field work and 90% office time.
Pros
Field work, when you actually get to go. Co workers. Stable job.
Cons
Pay, pay, pay, managers, lack of field work, little actual work assigned.
Not interested at this time
IT Systems Manager II (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJanuary 10, 2019
Been in and out of various state agencies, and it seemed like it became worse n worse after hiring freezes, furloughs, budget cuts, and cross training without the training.... I gave up after 12 or so years.
Toxic environment.
Family Assistance Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 9, 2019
Please please stay away.!!! Unions are worthless. Management has unrealistic work quotas. Told to look the other way when it comes to fraud. Advancement is contingent upon who u know. Clients are entitled,rude, demanding and a lot of them lie. If you work here, expect fraud, expect lies and expect benefits to be given away like a free for all.
Pros
U are paid
Cons
U arr paid peanuts
Protest Office Supervisor
Protest Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMDecember 28, 2018
Worked as supervisor in the NM Department of Taxation and Revenue Protest Office. We worked on taxation matters handling protests for 36 tax programs Good Communication skills and empathy for people were required. I retired from this position.
Pros
good benefits
Amazing Job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMDecember 16, 2018
The State of NM is a good employer, I am looking forward to my retirement. I encourage people to seek employment with the State of New Mexico. Thank you
Pros
Great benefits
contractor position
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMNovember 12, 2018
short term contractor position.
Flexible schedule.
Excellent professional development opportunity.
Community health/social work experience.
work from home job with little oversight.
Pros
self-directed position, flexible
Cons
short term contracted position
Not given a chance to change current policies
Director - Manage Division (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMOctober 25, 2018
When hired I was told that I would be given an opportunity to change outdated policies. Once in the position, was give very little, if any, opportunity to improve the department.
State Government secured job
Chief Juvenile Probation/Parole District 14 (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMOctober 24, 2018
I was able to maintain employment for 25 years and retire. The job provides job security after 1 year, but it is stressful, due to the nature of the job, Juvenile Probation. You work with high risk youth that do not want your involvement in their life.
Pros
Job security
Cons
very stressful and constant change
I dont recommend people to work for the stated of new mexico.
Adult Protective Service Case Manager/Investigator (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 11, 2018
There is no advancement working for the state of New Mexico, unless someone likes you, or you know someone. The agencies I have worked for have clicks and to much discrimination and favoritism. I have not seen a raise in over 10 years. The Governor has only given raises to state agencies she prefers and veto's every one else. people have been hired in the agency I work for and they get a hire starting salary then I have received. I am ashamed of the State of New Mexico Government Jobs. Like I stated once its not what you know, it's who you know to get a raise, or a good position to help you make good money.
poor management
MVD, AGENT (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMSeptember 17, 2018
the Carlsbad mvd has a very bad manager. Very high turn around because no one know what is going on there. Not sufficient training. Very rude. I made a few complaints to the Santa Fe office, and they didn't believe me. THey did nothing about her harassing me and making it unbareable to work there.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
horrible environment
Unfortunately Management is not proactive or knowledgeable
Eligibility Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMSeptember 16, 2018
I had a bad experience working for the state of new mexico.
expectations are unreal, the culture of this department is to not be helpful, will criticize your work instead of showing you or train you, upper management is not proactive about real problems, everyone has a hidden agenda and unfortunately the state doesn't do much for the morale of the employees, If you are not upper management, you will never succeed with the state of new mexico... It was very disappointing working for the state.
Cons
mircomanaged, insurance with high premiums, unreal expectations, no training, no updated technology, no upgraded computers, require lots from employees but not support from state