State of New York Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYAugust 16, 2018
It wasn't the best of jobs. But it got the job done. Helped with my time management skills and working quickly with a high volume of customers. Learned allot
Internship at AG's office
Attorney General (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYAugust 15, 2018
Met a lot of interesting people who would walk in or call about grievances that they had with local businesses. Cases usually went nowhere unless a (rare) full-on investigation was called for.
Daily Routine
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Dannemora, NYAugust 7, 2018
Provide a safe and secure working environment. Security counts and maintaining proper movement and continuous safety throughout. Maintain daily logs, key control and etc.
Training is Intense, Security for Staff Low
Secure Treatment Aide (Former Employee) –  Ogdensburg, NYJuly 22, 2018
Staff were never protected from harm. By inmates. The Employment was Great but I never felt safe for me and my fellow employees as the inmates /patients behaviors were vindictive.
State Government Agency - OPWDD
Standards Compliance Analyst 3 (DD) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2018
OPWDD provides funding, technical support and regulatory oversight to non-profit agencies providing services to Intellectually / Developmentally Disabled residents of New York State.

The work environment is culturally diverse and generally easy-going.

Staff are expected to consistently make progress on all work assignments, behave in a culturally competent and politically correct manner and adhere to all NYS labor laws. Staff are expected to complete a number of required annual training courses, self-monitor their time and attendance, and request time off in advance as much as possible.

Each division, bureau,and office has its own culture and way of doing things. I found it best to ask about anything rather than muddle through.

Many people find the most difficult part of a civil service position is getting promoted as it usually requires passing examinations and multiple interviews.
Pros
Good benefits, union protections, staff development opportunities.
Cons
Large workloads due to staff shortages impacting productivity.
Enjoyable work experience
Senior Bank Examiner in Charge, DFS (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2018
Typical day at work involved Interaction with peers, DFS management, Bank Personnel, Bank management. Travel was most difficult part of job, but somewhat enjoyable. Constantly meeting / interacting with new people was most enjoyable. I enjoyed my years as AML / terrorist financing Specialist the most!
Pros
Some Individual freedom
Cons
Travel
provided for my family for 31 years
Facility Director (Former Employee) –  NYJune 29, 2018
Since 1986 I worked for NYS. Advanced several times over these years into many supervisory positions. This agency was responsible for overseeing juvenile corrections.
benefits
Cons
stress
Great palace to work.
New York (Current Employee) –  New YorkJune 9, 2018
There is never a dull moment. I get the satisfaction of dissecting intricate and multifaceted cases. Analyzing all the evidence and applying the State Law to resolve the issue. With all the training and backing one gets from constituents and supervisors alike, one gets the wherewithal to continue to make great strides in active investigations. I don’t think that I could have gotten that kind of training any other way than the experience you get with working with the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle.
environment
REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL NURSE (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 8, 2018
Fast past environment. Must be able to multiple task and remain calm under pressure. Patient load can be heavy to meet the demands of the department. Everyone works as a team
Pros
collaborative work
Cons
staffing
good job. gets tedious.
Senior Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2018
Bureaucratic nonsense prevails, but decent lawyers, judges and environment. Working for NYS can be extremely secure. The downside is that you always feel like a cog in the wheel, and creativity is not welcome at an administrative level.
Pros
salary, security, hours
Cons
too much bureaucracy and too little flexibility

Want to know more about State of New York?

Ask a question
Incredibly fast work day
CenterState CEO (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 2, 2018
I was never so blessed to have my work day go by so quickly - everyday. That's how awesome it is to work at a Ronald McDonald House location. I had a variety of responsibilities, so my day's always flew right by.
Pros
great coworkers, volunteers and guest families
Cons
too many sweets in the kitchen
Maintenace Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYApril 30, 2018
Great career and benefits, A person would be very lucky to land a job with New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. The career opportunity is limitless, and the road to success is paved for a hard working dedicated person willing to show up each day, on time, and put in a solid days work.
productive place to work with ping pong, Gym Ect.
Consultant/Manager, Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 11, 2018
A very fast pace work environment. the staff is very friendly and outreach is done in the brooklyn community where the medical center is located. the hospital is very diversified.
Pros
Good Environment, Shuttle Bus picks you up from Train Station
Cons
Don't get paid for lunch break.
State Job and benefits
Corporate and Individual Tax Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 11, 2018
its a fun place to work very hard to become permanent, too much politics within the departments. To know some one in a good place means you will become permanent even if there was no position available.
Pros
benefits and stae employee status
Cons
politis
Collaboration and community based
Community Forestry Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 6, 2018
Great opportunity to improve skills and be a part of the greater agricultural and environmental community, collaboration among staff, various groups serving specific public sectors within the organization.
Pros
Enhancing skills, community involvement
Cons
Great work environment with great people
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYMarch 28, 2018
A lot of work but well worth it.
Management was understanding and very helpful.
Team was very connected and friendly.
Hardest part is talking to unwilling customers
Would recommend.
administration was very stressful, employees ok if you are in their click and not enough pay for such a life threaten job
PAROLE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 23, 2018
stressful, a lot of work, administration sucks, room for growth if you know someone, over worked and under paid for such a life threatening job. No acknowledgement for hard work
Pros
Ot
Cons
not enough money
Great pleace tp work
INSURANCE EXAMINER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2018
I learned how to travel on the job with the state of CT. Teams could spend months on an audit. It was a good job to start my career. Management was very supportive.
Pros
Very good pay with a pension
Cons
No Cons
obey the law
Cook (Former Employee) –  groveland,New YorkMarch 6, 2018
though New york state is a huge comglumerate of smaller entities,it is not a place I would recommend to anyone.The stress levels of being away from family are terrible.the racism is off the charts and there is no room for advancement after two years of service.
Productive and fun place to work with opportunity to learn and grow
Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 27, 2018
I enjoyed this job for many reasons. One of the main reasons that I enjoyed working here was because of the people and their willingness to cooperate with you and to help you in any way possible. I would highly recommend this position to anyone looking to grow professionally.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Hours could be long sometimes in the winter