State of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Motivation
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCOctober 11, 2018
Difficult to motivate students to serious change. Challenge is to continue to motivate students that do not wish to be motivated, and encourage the students that wish to change.
Fun Educational environment
Teacher for public schools (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 2, 2018
I thoughrouly enjoyed my time with Cumber land County Schools. The first few years took some getting used to. There isnt a Teachers Union, but a Teacher Association, that does stay involved.
Pros
3 months off
Cons
Lunchroom food
Lacking in Management
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 7, 2018
The Leave and Separation Section management is lacking and needs to be revamp for the better or employees will continue to leave. Overall the state is a good company just have to find your fit.
Hard to advance
Server (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 7, 2018
If you want a steady paycheck & decent benefits, the State of NC is for you. Otherwise, opportunities for advancement are scarce & not given based on merit. I must leave in order to move ahead.
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
No roomfor advancement
If you like prisons...it is a great place to work.
Correctional Officer, North Carolina (Former Employee) –  Caswell County, NCAugust 30, 2018
Very dangerous place to work. You have to not only be concerned about the inmates....but the officers as well. The officers (some) tend to bring in contraband to the inmates.
Pros
Cons
dangerous
therapuetic support speacialist
Therapeutic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCAugust 30, 2018
A typical day at work for a second shift Therapeutic Support Technician like me is to arrive at work few minutes to 3:00pm and be in report room at 3:00pm which will last for about 30minutes. I pick my assignment and head to either to do vital signs or room inspection or sit with 1:1 with patient or call and monitor patients for evening medication or be on floor for general monitoring of patients and/or receive and reviewing paper work from first shift to make sure they signed where necessary. At 5:00pm we gather both claimants and staff in the day room for group meeting which last for 30minutes and at 5:30pm we give out behavioral evolution cards called point cards which have monetary values to patients and we accompany them to point store to buy snacks. At 6:00pm we accompany patient down stairs to serve them dinner or they eat in the unit, At 6:30pm we accompany patients to gymnasium for exercise. At 7:00pm we call patient together at medication window and monitor them take their night medications. We give out to them 8:00pm night snacks as soon as that take their medications. After snacks we give out linens and towels for shower. We continue monitory patients on 2:1, or 1:1, or arms length or eye view or every: 15mins or 3omins while in bed or out in the day room.At 10:00pm we get paper ready for the next shift and take out trash and dirty linens. At the end of the report at 11:30pm I recheck my documentation and sign off, hand it over to next shift and drive home. what I learned is that good communication and being on time with schedule make them less agitated, The manager  more... I had makes her self available to patients on the floor from time to time and she listens and addresses some of their problem in the absence of the social worker or doctors which we might not have specific answer for them. My workplace culture I should said that is very much easy among Technician to technician, Technician to manager but a much more difficult between technicians to Registered Nurses. The reason is that tech, are directly in contact with patients and some time when they try to communicate with RN for example that certain patient work well with certain technician so that their assignment can reflect that to avoid incidents. The RN may think that she above you that you cannot tell her what to do. where I worked when the Techs for see trouble coming from as result what mentioned early more than one tech can go to communicate with RN to effect the change to avail patient escalation. That why communication and understanding is very important in work place.Even Though I still miss my patients some can be very aggressive and staff are injured everyday but some who injured you while they were very sick may come back to ask you for forgiveness when they get well because they did know what they we doing. It give joy to help those who cannot help themselves and it gives me joy to know that I'm making a difference in someone's life.  less
Pros
North state gives good retirement benefit.
Cons
You can be injured most of the time by very aggressive clients.
Productive and fun, The staff is great and there's never a dull moment.
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 23, 2018
A typical day at work... working with children with disabilities are rewarding, exciting and full of laughter.Staff is great and we all are unique and special in our own way.
Pros
Love children and Love the state calendar set up
Cons
Not enough pay
Secretary
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2018
I was employed as a secretary to the Division Of Insurance. I took dictation from the engineers and then took information and typed up the information given.
Pros
Part-time went to Full Time Employment
Cons
Parking Problems
Public Health
FT Public Health Regional Genetic Counselor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 2, 2018
Working for the State of NC at times has been great at times and at other times has been horrid. That has depended mostly on the supervisor of the moment who currently is very good. The biggest issue is the lack of education (2 meetings in almost 17 years) and the low salary for which the State feels that earning 30% than a new graduate is appropriate even with 31 years experience. The variability of duties is a huge plus and being able to work remotely is as well. My colleagues are wonderful as well...though there are far fewer of us than 17 years ago when I started with the State (due to low salaries).
job with benefits
Youth Program Asst., Whitaker School, Butner NC (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCJuly 6, 2018
Working for the State of North Carolina provides you with benefits when you are working and when you retire. You collaborate with others and meet new people.
Floor technician
Floor Specialist/Unit Custodial Personnel (Former Employee) –  Winton, NCJuly 5, 2018
Working for the state of North Carolina was a bery great learning experience for me as i picked up many handy duty tasks also where i learned to master buffing.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Gossip, back stabbing and competitive
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2018
The best part of the job was helping people. The worst part of working here was the gossiping and back stabbing of fellow employees. Some employees were caring and good to work with. There were very little team work. They expected people to work double work very often.
Pros
helping clients
Cons
Angry clients and non custodial parents
Low pay, bad environment, other chain of command going outside their role to boss employees not under them, favoritism, etc!
Processing Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Drpartment of CorrectionsJune 9, 2018
Cut throat employees, low pay, no raises, dangerous work environment, mandatory retirement deduction all based on your money earned, getting paid once a month with retirement deductions made for no paycheck left. If you want health insurance for children or a spouse, it will take everything you make, told I could not use my accumulated sick time after being out one day in a month with a doctor note furnished the next day. Upper paid staff snubbed lower paid staff no matter how friendly you were. They were just automatically better than you while they gossiped and giggled all day collaborated in one office carrying on. Same employees wrote down dishonest time that they were reporting to work in morning, but I couldn't take a sick day for my small child with strep throat told to me outta chain of command that was NOT my chain of commsnd when I had sick time remaining. Same chain of command employee allowed all the above outta employees under her.
Cons
Job responsibilities could be fulfilling.
IT Manager - Enterprise Operations (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 1, 2018
Much side track and concerns about the multitude of functions and levels of Senior Management to navigate.
There are many changes with lack of job postings and both internal and external notifications and/or ability to compete.
The job
Probation Officer II (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCMay 25, 2018
No a bad job... I was a probation officer for several years. I enjoyed the job and some co-workers but the job was very stressful. Management did't back you up.
Great envirnment
Case Coordinator Family Court (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 8, 2018
Over my years wit h the State of NC; Judical Branch, I have learned various statues, laws, local rules and International all. I coordinate several UCCJEA conferences with different states and countries.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
pay
notary public
Notary Public (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 24, 2018
Being a notary is very convenient for your family, friends and business relationships. Most documents require a notary to notarize their documents and being a notary is very convenient for others.
Pros
convenient for others
Cons
Ppl. not wanting to pay notaries
Summary
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 9, 2018
It was a unnecessarily stressful job with obstacles that should not be there. Morale is low and the schedule worked makes i a constant struggle. We manage juvenile delinquents daily schedules and manage their behaviors.
Pros
No hard labor.
Cons
De-escalating combative juveniles
Unqualified and uneducated work force
NA (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 28, 2018
There is no talent pool working for the state. They seem to get the least qualified people with no education or experience . Everything is politics with no leadership.
Pros
No one cares about quality just show up
Cons
No one cares about quality just show up
Stable Work
Disability (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 20, 2018
The state provided stable work environment. Although I just don't think the role was a good fit for me. I had great managers and coworkers that I still miss.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Claimants

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of North Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss