State of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Secretary
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2018
I was employed as a secretary to the Division Of Insurance. I took dictation from the engineers and then took information and typed up the information given.
Pros
Part-time went to Full Time Employment
Cons
Parking Problems
job with benefits
Youth Program Asst., Whitaker School, Butner NC (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCJuly 6, 2018
Working for the State of North Carolina provides you with benefits when you are working and when you retire. You collaborate with others and meet new people.
Floor technician
Floor Specialist/Unit Custodial Personnel (Former Employee) –  Winton, NCJuly 5, 2018
Working for the state of North Carolina was a bery great learning experience for me as i picked up many handy duty tasks also where i learned to master buffing.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Gossip, back stabbing and competitive
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2018
The best part of the job was helping people. The worst part of working here was the gossiping and back stabbing of fellow employees. Some employees were caring and good to work with. There were very little team work. They expected people to work double work very often.
Pros
helping clients
Cons
Angry clients and non custodial parents
Low pay, bad environment, other chain of command going outside their role to boss employees not under them, favoritism, etc!
Processing Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Drpartment of CorrectionsJune 9, 2018
Cut throat employees, low pay, no raises, dangerous work environment, mandatory retirement deduction all based on your money earned, getting paid once a month with retirement deductions made for no paycheck left. If you want health insurance for children or a spouse, it will take everything you make, told I could not use my accumulated sick time after being out one day in a month with a doctor note furnished the next day. Upper paid staff snubbed lower paid staff no matter how friendly you were. They were just automatically better than you while they gossiped and giggled all day collaborated in one office carrying on. Same employees wrote down dishonest time that they were reporting to work in morning, but I couldn't take a sick day for my small child with strep throat told to me outta chain of command that was NOT my chain of commsnd when I had sick time remaining. Same chain of command employee allowed all the above outta employees under her.
Cons
Job responsibilities could be fulfilling.
IT Manager - Enterprise Operations (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 1, 2018
Much side track and concerns about the multitude of functions and levels of Senior Management to navigate.
There are many changes with lack of job postings and both internal and external notifications and/or ability to compete.
The job
Probation Officer II (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCMay 25, 2018
No a bad job... I was a probation officer for several years. I enjoyed the job and some co-workers but the job was very stressful. Management did't back you up.
Great envirnment
Case Coordinator Family Court (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 8, 2018
Over my years wit h the State of NC; Judical Branch, I have learned various statues, laws, local rules and International all. I coordinate several UCCJEA conferences with different states and countries.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
pay
notary public
Notary Public (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 24, 2018
Being a notary is very convenient for your family, friends and business relationships. Most documents require a notary to notarize their documents and being a notary is very convenient for others.
Pros
convenient for others
Cons
Ppl. not wanting to pay notaries
Summary
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 9, 2018
It was a unnecessarily stressful job with obstacles that should not be there. Morale is low and the schedule worked makes i a constant struggle. We manage juvenile delinquents daily schedules and manage their behaviors.
Pros
No hard labor.
Cons
De-escalating combative juveniles
Unqualified and uneducated work force
NA (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 28, 2018
There is no talent pool working for the state. They seem to get the least qualified people with no education or experience . Everything is politics with no leadership.
Pros
No one cares about quality just show up
Cons
No one cares about quality just show up
Stable Work
Disability (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 20, 2018
The state provided stable work environment. Although I just don't think the role was a good fit for me. I had great managers and coworkers that I still miss.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Claimants
Long hours very stressful unsafe
Correctional Officer III (Current Employee) –  Tabor City, NCMarch 5, 2018
The benefits are ok the work environment is very stressful and the conditions are unsafe the facility is very undermanned and overtime is mandatory. The schedule changes o a daily basis.
Benefits
Cons
Hours, management, Pay
Rhis is a very stressful and unsafe place to work. You constantly have to watch your back from Inmates and Staff.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 5, 2018
The prison system is so screwed up in North Carolina, it's unbelievable. Management can't do anything with inmates so they are riding correctional officers constantly over the littlest things. Correction Officer's are risking their lives daily and Upper Management is making it worse on C.O. Staff, write ups for Inmates are not being processed and Inmates are running Lumberton correctional. Staff is constantly harassed by upper management and complaints have been ignored.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Management Stinks, health Insurance is not good, Micromanagement on every shift.
Training nor mentorship is the norm here.
Deputy Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 4, 2018
You are not given the probationary time to learn the job as stated in the job posting and training is not well thought nor carried out. I was told 120 days and was fired at 1 month.
Great place to wrk
Processing Assistant V/ Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 1, 2018
I normally monitor the customer services reps on the calls. I also run the chat room to help employees with questions about the calls at the time. I also run report on employee stats. I also get on the phones if the calls get backed up.
Pros
great evnviroment
Cons
no benefits
job security
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, NCFebruary 26, 2018
The State of NC offers an employee several decent benefits and a retirement system. Work can be stressful one day and laid back the next. Your happiness with the job usually depends on your unit supervisor. They are the ones that set the pace and their management, or lack thereof, can make work enjoyable or a living nightmare.
Pros
retirement system
Cons
pitiful compensation
Museum
Operations. (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 21, 2018
A state faccility that carters for residents of north Carolina. It is also a learning environment for students pulling resources from retirees from all sectors.A congomelation of all retired and volunteer professionals..
Great job, field personnel are great , pay and benefits are terrible
Elevator inspector (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 19, 2018
Low pay , no O.t, terrible benefits , met some great people, made some new friends , just no reason to stay, some of the people here haven't gotten a raise in years
Pros
Great job
Cons
Terrible pay and benefits
Ncdot
Retired (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCFebruary 10, 2018
Run as quickly as you can...Not worth the headache...Managers racist and jealous against their on background and culture. The state needs more diversity. Its lacking all cultures and thats the serious issue. No transparency among every employee that provides a service to the residents of nc.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of North Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight