State of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Very Poor Management
Driver License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 17, 2019
Working with customer A+. Working with Management, was the ABSOLUTE WORST part of the Job. Prior to being a Driver License Examiner, I worked with the STATE of NC for 10+ years; after quitting in 2018, I was loosing my hair, loss countless hours of sleep and work/life balance, does not exist! My advice, being a DLE is a horrible place to work. RUN!
Benefits
Cons
Management and lack of proper work/life balance
Easy job, except for bs you have to put up with
Painter (Current Employee) –  Morganton, NCMarch 15, 2019
There is no advancement, benefits get worse every year, you can't get a better paying job unless you're in political favor, and now you have to pay for your own insurance, and if you're not a schoolteacher don't expect a raise
Pros
Stability
Cons
There's no end to this list
Well managed agency that provided support to individuals, when needed, to help them successfully acheive their goals.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 13, 2019
Excellent collaborative efforts shared among staff to achieve and often exceed performance requirements to meet agency goals. It created an atmosphere that set the tone as a preferred state agency where to work.
Pros
telecommute, professionalism and dedication of middle and upper management
Cons
minimal salary increases
Great First Job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCMarch 1, 2019
Working at John Umstead was my first nursing job out of nursing school. They patients were given medications as needed and most of the wards were pretty calm. Management and doctors were mostly open to suggestions on patient care and were willing to help staff maintain a reasonable atmosphere on the wards. We had frequent meetings with the patients and actually could help solve problems with doctor, nurse, and patient meetings. The doctors were available during the day on the wards and we were allowed to call them after their hours if needed. It was a difficult job in the sense that medications and therapy were helpful but knowing the patients would not really have a normal life after their stay at the mental hospital and some of the patients would never be released made the job very sad. There is a new hospital now and a shortage of nurses as usual and that makes nurses jobs difficult.
Pros
State of North Carolina Benefits
Cons
Not enough pay for the work.
Great staff to work with.
Career Advisor - Veterans (Current Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCMarch 1, 2019
Doing your best is always encouraged. Provide the best customer service. Be more kinder than necessary. You learn about many of the programs the State offers to assist in obtaining employment.
Stressful, poor management, dirty
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NCFebruary 13, 2019
Thick globs of dust everywhere, you have to have a nasty attitude to fit in, hostile environment, poor management, poor leadership skills, micromanaging. Great job just poor management which makes it very difficult to be happy and love where you're at. No training whatsoever.
Pros
Great job, fun, interesting, knowledgeable
Cons
No training, rude, bad attitudes, hostile environment
It’s a great place to work if you want to make a career with the state
Correctional Officer III (Current Employee) –  Marion, NCJanuary 18, 2019
Great place to work if you want to make a career working for the state. The job can be stressful at times but it’s one of the easiest jobs I’ve ever worked.
A very good place to be employed.
personnel management (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCJanuary 7, 2019
Great place to work. Lot of knowledge that can be obtained if you are willing to take the classes that are offered. Benefits are a major plus. Management looks at all factors before making any decisions.
Unqualified section chief
Nurse consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 5, 2019
I worked for a nit picky section chief that was not even qualified to do my job. Her assets included humiliation, lying, and total disregard for her employees. If you disagreed or proved her wrong, life became a living nightmare. Several co-workers went to HR, only to have HR call her before the co-workers got back. The turnover rate is continually questioned, but no one seems to listen when employees complain.

My direct supervisor was knowledgeable, supportive and a hard worker.

Working at DHHS would have been my dream job if the employees had been taken seriously and supported.
Pros
Co-workers, serving the elderly and our communities
Cons
Section chief
Not the best environment
Systems Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 3, 2019
Not sure about all departments, but if you are not kissing up to management, you will likely be left out of most things and nit picked on a regular basis.
Pros
decent benefits unless it is family coverage
Cons
management could be better
Rewarding
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 27, 2018
Transporting children to and from educational facilities and residences. Great for families with school aged children. Lots of time off and down time
Great job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 17, 2018
Overall a great place to work and meet new people. Great place to learn and develop yourself for better opportunities in higher places. Also a great way to retire
Benefits
Stressful
Volunteer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Swannanoa, NCNovember 7, 2018
The administration is hard to work for because they are constantly thinking you are doing wrong. There is an atmosphere of suspicion and "Big Brother" there. Other employees are always trying to get people in trouble to move up the ladder. There is a serious problem with understaffing because they can't keep employees.
Pros
good hours
Cons
long shifts and no vacations
Motivation
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCOctober 11, 2018
Difficult to motivate students to serious change. Challenge is to continue to motivate students that do not wish to be motivated, and encourage the students that wish to change.
Employee morale was low due to lack of pay increases
ESC Auditor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 5, 2018
The State of NC focuses more on employee's years of service than on job performance when decision is made to make pay increases. While I was employed there ,the state gave a pay increase to everyone who had at least 5 years of service. During that time someone had just recently transferred into our department and wasn't even proficient at the new job. However, that employee received a pay increase. I feel that I was more qualified, but did not receive the pay increase because I hadn't been there 5 yrs.
Pros
Workload was very light
Cons
Pay was very low. Wage increases were infrequent
Fun Educational environment
Teacher for public schools (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 2, 2018
I thoughrouly enjoyed my time with Cumber land County Schools. The first few years took some getting used to. There isnt a Teachers Union, but a Teacher Association, that does stay involved.
Pros
3 months off
Cons
Lunchroom food
Lacking in Management
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 7, 2018
The Leave and Separation Section management is lacking and needs to be revamp for the better or employees will continue to leave. Overall the state is a good company just have to find your fit.
Hard to advance
Server (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 7, 2018
If you want a steady paycheck & decent benefits, the State of NC is for you. Otherwise, opportunities for advancement are scarce & not given based on merit. I must leave in order to move ahead.
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
No roomfor advancement
If you like prisons...it is a great place to work.
Correctional Officer, North Carolina (Former Employee) –  Caswell County, NCAugust 30, 2018
Very dangerous place to work. You have to not only be concerned about the inmates....but the officers as well. The officers (some) tend to bring in contraband to the inmates.
Pros
Cons
dangerous
therapuetic support speacialist
Therapeutic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Butner, NCAugust 30, 2018
A typical day at work for a second shift Therapeutic Support Technician like me is to arrive at work few minutes to 3:00pm and be in report room at 3:00pm which will last for about 30minutes. I pick my assignment and head to either to do vital signs or room inspection or sit with 1:1 with patient or call and monitor patients for evening medication or be on floor for general monitoring of patients and/or receive and reviewing paper work from first shift to make sure they signed where necessary. At 5:00pm we gather both claimants and staff in the day room for group meeting which last for 30minutes and at 5:30pm we give out behavioral evolution cards called point cards which have monetary values to patients and we accompany them to point store to buy snacks. At 6:00pm we accompany patient down stairs to serve them dinner or they eat in the unit, At 6:30pm we accompany patients to gymnasium for exercise. At 7:00pm we call patient together at medication window and monitor them take their night medications. We give out to them 8:00pm night snacks as soon as that take their medications. After snacks we give out linens and towels for shower. We continue monitory patients on 2:1, or 1:1, or arms length or eye view or every: 15mins or 3omins while in bed or out in the day room.At 10:00pm we get paper ready for the next shift and take out trash and dirty linens. At the end of the report at 11:30pm I recheck my documentation and sign off, hand it over to next shift and drive home. what I learned is that good communication and being on time with schedule make them less agitated, The manager  more... I had makes her self available to patients on the floor from time to time and she listens and addresses some of their problem in the absence of the social worker or doctors which we might not have specific answer for them. My workplace culture I should said that is very much easy among Technician to technician, Technician to manager but a much more difficult between technicians to Registered Nurses. The reason is that tech, are directly in contact with patients and some time when they try to communicate with RN for example that certain patient work well with certain technician so that their assignment can reflect that to avoid incidents. The RN may think that she above you that you cannot tell her what to do. where I worked when the Techs for see trouble coming from as result what mentioned early more than one tech can go to communicate with RN to effect the change to avail patient escalation. That why communication and understanding is very important in work place.Even Though I still miss my patients some can be very aggressive and staff are injured everyday but some who injured you while they were very sick may come back to ask you for forgiveness when they get well because they did know what they we doing. It give joy to help those who cannot help themselves and it gives me joy to know that I'm making a difference in someone's life.  less
Pros
North state gives good retirement benefit.
Cons
You can be injured most of the time by very aggressive clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of North Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight