State of North Dakota Employee Reviews

Morale is Low and Advancement is very unlikely
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDSeptember 25, 2018
The morale is very low and people are leaving the office at a rapid rate. The workplace culture is something they are working at, but the progress is very slow. You will learn a lot working here, so it is a great jumping off point.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
No advancement, low morale. poor leadership
fun
Office of State Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDAugust 19, 2018
it is a good place to work, with good benefits. if you work for a small agency though, it is hard to get raises or promotions. they offer flexible work hours.
Not good, high turn-over
Programmer Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 18, 2018
Zero innovation ... and management that was promoted to that position based on who you know, not what you know. Management was clueless about knowing how to do the jobs of the people they were managing.
good
Service Technician III (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDJune 25, 2018
pay isn't competitive with economy and cost of living for area. benefits are good but unfortunately due to high cost of rent in the area it is very difficult to live
Learn to suck up
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJune 24, 2018
Politics plays a large part of work, career development only focused on those who play the game the best. Significant amounts of time wasted by staff for gossip and office talk.
Productive and rewarding
Claims Adjuster II (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDFebruary 24, 2018
I feel my job as a claims adjuster is challenging and demanding on both a personal and professional level. The rewarding part is helping the injured worker through the process and building a relationship with them.
Pros
The benefits we receive and very family oriented place to work.
Project Manager and Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDFebruary 19, 2018
Leadership cares and really works to help people advance in their careers, for hte most part. ITD and PMO are good organizations but not much opportunity in the security arena that I was interested in. Pay is too low and Bismark ND is just not the most desirable place to live.

Housing was scarce and too expensive for the area as well.
As a road test scheduler, I enjoyed talking to and scheduling the over 8,000 phone calls a month.
Office Assistant/Road Test Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDFebruary 14, 2018
I was looking forward to retiring from the State of ND, until I learned there would be no benefits to our particular job title. So as a mother of small children I made a career change and loved that opportunity as well, it provided benefits.
Enjoyed working with troubled youth
Juvenile Officer (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 6, 2018
I really enjoyed working with delinquent youth in my community. It was very rewarding to see the progress of those youth that became successful. The job started to become more about paperwork than the success of the youth.
I am a elected official
North Dakota State Representative, District (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 18, 2018
I currently am elected as a state representative for district 27 in Fargo, ND. I have been in office for almost 16 years. I don't have any management to deal with only the people that elected me.
interesting and challenging profession
Director of Training (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 14, 2018
work for a department that encourages staff development and provides opportunities for advancement and growth. Interesting challenging jobs unlike any other field.
Pros
salary and job security
Cons
not a job for everyone it can be stressful
Great Team Work
Health Facilities Surveyor/RN BSN (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 29, 2017
Everyone is usually very hard working and supportive. We work as a team and respect each other. Teams work well together and try to communicate effectively. If needed, team members are willing to trade assignments. Everyone pitches in to review correction plans and complete revisits..
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lack of flexible in office work schedule
Learning enviornment
State facility Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 23, 2017
This dept. was great to work for. Very close co-workers. We traveled together and was a great support from our managers. They would support you when challanaged.
Just don't do it
State Fair Security (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDOctober 14, 2017
Seriously long hours at minimum wage, only bonus is if you're lucky enough to go to concerts, but don't plan on watching them, you gotta keep your eyes on all the drunk people.
Pros
Concert (maybe)
Cons
People, pay, Boring
Stressfull - chaotic
Behavioral Health Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 8, 2017
I love serving people. I love the idea of trying to improve people's lives. My Division lacks of structure. Management changes everything every three months. We write and rewrite policies and procedures over and over, but none follows any polices or procedures.
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Helping People
Customer Relations (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDOctober 6, 2017
I loved working with the local employers and helping people with resume writing, and their job search needs. I am used to a sales environment so it was not a good fit for me.
enjoyed people
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDOctober 5, 2017
I really enjoyed working with elderly and find they have a lot to offer and are very knowledgeable. Helping people every day is extremely rewarding for me.
Okat at best
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDSeptember 14, 2017
It satisfies the need to keep busy. The work is boring with no room for advancement. There are no promotions . Days off change and you work a 10 hour shift. It's a position that fits the title of Security Officer
Pros
health insurance
Cons
Rotating shifts. lack of breaks and no future.
social services focused
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDSeptember 13, 2017
Program and purpose is fulfilling and rewarding. Busy work environment. Regular contact with individuals needing state services. Excellent training opportunities.
Ndsp
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDSeptember 11, 2017
It was a job that gave you excellent benefits and pay for the type of job you did. The job was stressful at times but that was due to the residents that lived there.
Pros
State benefits Pay was above average