State of North Dakota Employee Reviews

Poor Morale and Retaliation by Executives
Administrative Staff Officer (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDMarch 25, 2019
The most catty and negative culture I've ever experienced in 38 years of employment. A complete lack of transparency and secret meetings that affect so many people. Leadership is more worried about the views the public has than caring for those employees in the agency. Most days it is simply not worth the effort to go to work.

The most enjoyable part of the day was the minute before walking out of the building and having freedom once again!
Low stress
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDFebruary 7, 2019
It was easy but boring work with little to no room for advancement. I wouldn't recommend it to others. Wages were not competitive. The management was not great to work for and the communication was not where I believed it should be to better the opportunities for employers and management alike.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Terrible pay scale
Flexible Place to Work
Grant Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 8, 2019
The department I worked in was very flexible with family being a top priority. Everyone was very friendly and we all worked well together. Location was great. Management was easy to work for.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Salary increases
Never have job security
Claims Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDDecember 4, 2018
No one has job security and everyone is expendable. There is no such thing as a permanent position. Depending on what the state legislation decides each year deems who going to have a job.
Cons
No job security
Morale is Low and Advancement is very unlikely
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDSeptember 25, 2018
The morale is very low and people are leaving the office at a rapid rate. The workplace culture is something they are working at, but the progress is very slow. You will learn a lot working here, so it is a great jumping off point.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
No advancement, low morale. poor leadership
Great workplace
Staff Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 5, 2018
Great workplace, day to day is great, learned a significant amount on how to work with a veriety of people from experience to age. Lot of management achieved and learned.
fun
Office of State Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDAugust 19, 2018
it is a good place to work, with good benefits. if you work for a small agency though, it is hard to get raises or promotions. they offer flexible work hours.
Not good, high turn-over
Programmer Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 18, 2018
Zero innovation ... and management that was promoted to that position based on who you know, not what you know. Management was clueless about knowing how to do the jobs of the people they were managing.
good
Service Technician III (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDJune 25, 2018
pay isn't competitive with economy and cost of living for area. benefits are good but unfortunately due to high cost of rent in the area it is very difficult to live
Learn to suck up
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJune 24, 2018
Politics plays a large part of work, career development only focused on those who play the game the best. Significant amounts of time wasted by staff for gossip and office talk.
Productive and rewarding
Claims Adjuster II (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDFebruary 24, 2018
I feel my job as a claims adjuster is challenging and demanding on both a personal and professional level. The rewarding part is helping the injured worker through the process and building a relationship with them.
Pros
The benefits we receive and very family oriented place to work.
Project Manager and Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDFebruary 19, 2018
Leadership cares and really works to help people advance in their careers, for hte most part. ITD and PMO are good organizations but not much opportunity in the security arena that I was interested in. Pay is too low and Bismark ND is just not the most desirable place to live.

Housing was scarce and too expensive for the area as well.
As a road test scheduler, I enjoyed talking to and scheduling the over 8,000 phone calls a month.
Office Assistant/Road Test Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDFebruary 14, 2018
I was looking forward to retiring from the State of ND, until I learned there would be no benefits to our particular job title. So as a mother of small children I made a career change and loved that opportunity as well, it provided benefits.
Enjoyed working with troubled youth
Juvenile Officer (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDFebruary 6, 2018
I really enjoyed working with delinquent youth in my community. It was very rewarding to see the progress of those youth that became successful. The job started to become more about paperwork than the success of the youth.
I am a elected official
North Dakota State Representative, District (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 18, 2018
I currently am elected as a state representative for district 27 in Fargo, ND. I have been in office for almost 16 years. I don't have any management to deal with only the people that elected me.
interesting and challenging profession
Director of Training (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 14, 2018
work for a department that encourages staff development and provides opportunities for advancement and growth. Interesting challenging jobs unlike any other field.
Pros
salary and job security
Cons
not a job for everyone it can be stressful
Great Team Work
Health Facilities Surveyor/RN BSN (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 29, 2017
Everyone is usually very hard working and supportive. We work as a team and respect each other. Teams work well together and try to communicate effectively. If needed, team members are willing to trade assignments. Everyone pitches in to review correction plans and complete revisits..
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Lack of flexible in office work schedule
Learning enviornment
State facility Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 23, 2017
This dept. was great to work for. Very close co-workers. We traveled together and was a great support from our managers. They would support you when challanaged.
Just don't do it
State Fair Security (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDOctober 14, 2017
Seriously long hours at minimum wage, only bonus is if you're lucky enough to go to concerts, but don't plan on watching them, you gotta keep your eyes on all the drunk people.
Pros
Concert (maybe)
Cons
People, pay, Boring
Stressfull - chaotic
Behavioral Health Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 8, 2017
I love serving people. I love the idea of trying to improve people's lives. My Division lacks of structure. Management changes everything every three months. We write and rewrite policies and procedures over and over, but none follows any polices or procedures.
Benefits
Cons
Stress