State of Ohio
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

State of Ohio Employee Reviews

United States804 reviews

Volume of work, high caseloads, taxing, mentally draining, unrealistic expectations of duties, lack of staff, high officer turn over.

It's a good job as far as pay, stability, health insurance dental and other benefits. The upper management are ignorant of all the extra duties that are performed behind the scenes and on a regular basis by employees. The high turnover rate and lack of qualified applicants is an indicator that many cannot handle this high, fast paced stressful job because there are better job opportunities out here that have fairer work to pay equivalency.

Pros

Hybrid work situation since Covid, flexible hours

Cons

Over worked, vacation/personal time you try and take for yourself, causes a work pile up, ongoing feeling of not being able to get caught up, policy makers and management create more work and responsibility, unfair balance of trying to handle it all, to be a responsible valuable employee.

Don’t bother

Horrible place to work. Management is only interested in what you can do for them. No work life balance. Plenty of overtime I’d you want it and most of the time even if you don’t want it you are forced to work overtime.

State of Ohio insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

The veterans are what it’s all about!

Poor management. A superintendent who tells staff to leave if they don’t like it there. An administrator who never speaks to nonmanagement employees and threatens to discipline staff if showers that weren’t done the day before aren’t done the next day.

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits

Cons

16 hour shifts!

Keep looking

No longer a premiere employer. They have managed to strip most of the benefits that made public service worth it. No direction under current administration.

One of the better experiences

I was working with a lot of people from different states from United States and it was awesome because you need to learn about different cultures, people and different ways to to do and learn something it was interesting.

Great people. Great environment to work

Enjoyed my time here. The people and atmosphere were very positive. It was organized well and everyone was willing to go above and beyond to help each other.

You work for yourself

Dodd provider with the state of Ohio/Medicare. I pick and choose my clients and my hours. I'm in charge of my own billing. You don't have health insurance that's the only downside

If you work hard, you can advance quickly.

Corrections is a thankless, yet critical job. You protect the public from incarcerated people by keeping them inside the walls and ensuring they complete the sentence imposed upon them by the court. It is a high stress job, but you are paid very well. As much overtime as you can handle!

Work Life

Good place to work. Great work life balance. Opportunities for advancement. Flexible schedules. Benefits, dental, medical, eye and life.

Gov paid job.

I would not work here again due to the fact you are just a number. They view you as replaceable. The best part for me was when I left. Too many politics for me.

Pros

Paid

Cons

Rewarding and fun atmosphere.

Enjoyable most of the time. Decent pay and opportunities for training and ongoing education. Not much room for advancement if not located in Columbus.

what you make of it

Some are there for great pay, some are there to truly help the patient population. Busy depending on the unit acuity. Some management is supportive and understand we're all human, others are puppets and act like wardens. Overall friendly co-workers who makes the work day easier. Most enjoyable was knowing you made a difference for your patient(s).

Loud workplace

Nice people to work with… Patient’s gonna a little crazy at time we might have a lot of code on units…. Management is OK the workplace is brand new as of 2020

Pros

Overtime free health care

Cons

Shifts

Good benefits

Working at Odot is very rewarding job if u like working outside and always doing different job assignments on a daily basis,and responding to traffic and road emergencies

Pros

Great benefits and time off

Cons

Lower end of pay scale for road construction maintenance

Sinking ship!

Good benefits. Absolutely does not appreciate their employees. More focused on disciplines and write ups than Education!! Mandates like crazy. No room for movement. It’s currently a sinking Titanic.

Benefits

Cons

Mandation, Low Pay, Under staffed, Awful Management

Corrections Officer

This job is strictly for people with no life’s and no love. The pay is good simply because your working 16 hour days with NO breaks, noPhone to access your family. The inmates have a better life than you do

Good company and great starting pay

This company offers a great starting hourly rate for the job responsibilities. Management was very helpful and training was provided. Growth opportunities are available for employees.

Pros

Good working environment, good benefits, Pto

Productive and fair

Great place to work and grow . Started intermittently got promoted within 6 months. No micromanaging. I just wish they offered intermittent ot . I don’t have much else to say other than it’s great to work from home . If you are looking for job security this is the job for you

Pros

Consistent schedule

Cons

No cons

Culture and family

When I work there it was good everyone got along good got the job done all tho like everywhere you get some good and some bad but that’s okay for the next generation to come

Secure Job but Challenging

The position is challenging dealing with convicted felons on parole - you need special communication skills to work in this field. However, if you can master that then this job is easy, fun, and the added benefit of government benefits and security is outmatched.

Pros

Hybrid Work Schedule (Remote & Field Based)

Cons

Safety Issues

Good pay and Benefits!

Great place to work if you have a good work ethic. Many jobs these days have negative reviews because the person is lazy and wants a handout. A job is what you make of it. go to work, perform a task, get compensated and live a good life. Don't complain when management ask you to earn your money by working! that's what you are there to do!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Ohio. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.3
InHerSight Score
1.8Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare State of Ohio with

• State of Ohio
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?