State of Ohio Employee Reviews

No Job Security
Account Examiner (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 15, 2018
You are a paying, voting member of the OSCEA union with absolutely no job security in the first 12 months. Everyone who works within the department must start in TPS PIT (tax payer services, personal income tax). It's a call center, make no mistake about that. You are metaphorically strapped to your cubicle, your every move is monitored, you cannot go to the bathroom without the ever watchful eye and while you earn PTO, you are punished for taking it. You are reminded on a regular basis that your employment is at will within that 1st year, it is an unsubtle threat. Training is a joke, "leads" are just employees who have been there a long time and are bitter and unhelpful, managers answer to a higher power and are equally terrified of losing their jobs, so they go about making your life miserable. The turn over is very high. I was hired in a group of 7 people, 3 left on their own volition, 1 was fired and 3 will hopefully achieve their 1 year on 11/13/18 (I made it 8 months before quitting). Prepare for a new level of micro management.
Pros
Pay, PTO after 1 year
Cons
Its alright to work for the state of ohio
Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHOctober 14, 2018
Work was stressful very poor management had decent benefits. Had decent vacation time could earn sick leave and work overtime if you wanted it. Over all not a great place to work.
stressful
OFFICER (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 10, 2018
high stress, long hours, unfair labor practice, no breaks, unfair discipline, hard to advance, good health care benefits, pay could be better, wouldnt recommend to anyone married
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no breaks
Stressful workplace with great benefits
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHSeptember 27, 2018
Maintained the safety and security of the staff, inmates, and property. Supervised adjudicated youth during meals, visits, recreational, telephone calls, shower time, school, etc. Kept detailed records, activity, and accountability of inmates. Patrolled and inspected units, yards, and building. Searched youth and cells daily for contraband
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
secretary
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 25, 2018
This was an job that I really liked. The people there were great and they made the place an enjoyable experience. The experience I had was truly invaluable.
Heartland Behavior Healthcare
Health Information Technician II/Discharge Analyst (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHSeptember 22, 2018
Love it so far. This was a career change for me. I graduated college in December and I applied for this position in May. Got a call two weeks later for an interview and than offered the position 1-2 weeks later. Only place that actually gave me an opportunity being that I had no experience other than education. My pay is more than any other company would offer, training is very thorough, my manager listen and understands me. My work schedule is awesome. 8-4pm with flex time. Cheap medical, free dental, vision and life after a year. A raise after 6 months and than every year after guaranteed. The union also gives a 2-3% raise yearly which mean you pretty much get a wage every 6 months. The union also negotiate your wages every years. I basically was offered one wage and being that the union negotiated the contract, I got an increase when I started. You get a pension retirement plan and tuition reimbursement plus so much more.
Pros
Cons
Not necessarily a con but we're still on paper
Cut throat
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHSeptember 20, 2018
Unless you are a female, you could advance. But there's a catch you have to be very friendly to some of the guy's in Operations. It seems if you do your job there is a chance to be fired without warning. Be a corrupt staff in Indian river and you can advance.
Pros
Health care
Cons
Staff
Toxic
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 19, 2018
High stress. low support environment. Benefits and retirement are slowly being taken away by the administration. These are the things that made the job worth it, and they are being eroded due to lack of planning and foresight by the State government.
DODD Review
.NET DEVELOPER (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2018
Love to work here, very friendly and supportive development team. Learnt lot of thing working here at State. Hate to leave but looking for some full time employment.
Great Place to work
Workers Compensation Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 17, 2018
Great place to work. Good atmosphere and coworkers doing teamwork projects and training is great! A typical day at work is confine to your desk processing with intermittent relief.
I love working for the State of Ohio
DESKTOP SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 30, 2018
The State of Ohio is an Awesome place to work. My manager and supervisor both are supportive and easy to work with. There is room for growth. Compensation is great. Its just an overall wonderful place to work.
DYS Review
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Circleville, OHAugust 23, 2018
Productive place that with workers that care deeply for the education population. Although different from public schools, the hours are different, but manageable.
Terrible Place To Work
Correctional Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHAugust 18, 2018
Pretty horrible job. I was not prepared for working with prisoners, but what was worse was my coworkers. Lazy, whiny, non-productive and generally useless. Not to mention the politics and turf wars. It got to the point I dreaded going in because nothing got done, our database system (eClinical Works) was not designed for the job. It was ridiculous trying to get anything done. Not to mention the worthless, non-qualified Affirmative Action managers the state loves to hire. Overall a very toxic, useless working environment.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
Full of lazy, useless people who only care about a paycheck and retirement.
Professional environment on the downtown setting. Parking was a achallenge, but the atmosphere was great. Working conditions were stellar.
Medicaid Health Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 18, 2018
I loved my job and loved the environment. I had a great supervisor, who encouraged my independence and ongoing pursuits. The computer systems were up to date, and meetings at my level were kept to a minimum. Reviews were done regularly, and were very fair. The job was challenging but not stressful. The hardest part of the job was lack of interaction with the public. A typical day started with opening all relevant computer programs and checking e-mails and my calendar for any issues and/ or meetings. I reviewed many medical records and made decisions accordingly, based on medical necessity and cost. I served on committees as well.
Pros
Wonderful atmosphere and working conditions, as well as great benefits.
Cons
Parking costs and difficulties, being tethered to a time clock.
Poor
Groundskeeper/Janitorial Services (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHAugust 14, 2018
Working with the state of Ohio prison system was one of the biggest mistakes I have made. They did not treat the employees with respect and the pay was horrible.
Not a good place
ELECTRONIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 14, 2018
Very stressful place to work. Working here very stressful. Stress is the number one problem with this company. Very stressful company. You are stressed from the time you get to wotk until the time you leave.
great learning environment
Maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHAugust 9, 2018
great place to learn and grow with partners that are willing to teach and help you grow as as a team as well as an individual person. very understanding and helpful managers and employees alike
Great Place to work
Solution Architect (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 27, 2018
Great Place to work with a bright and engaged team. Medicaid systems are vendor managed to understand their working was a challenge. But many new and varied technologies exist.
N/a
PAROLE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 26, 2018
I enjoy working for my current supervisor. I enjoy what i do. I believe that the job is what you make it to be. You have to be really organized in order to to this job.
Alright Workplace
Facility Maintenance Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHJuly 24, 2018
Its an alright workplace alot of good people working there and they were very helpful on helping me get the hours i needed to pay all my lving expenses.