State of Ohio Employee Reviews

Needs improvement
CORECTION OFFICER (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 7, 2019
I lived my job and what i did, but go against the grain and do the right thing (which is what you are taught) you can get fired, wrote up and disciplined. They are trying to move the culture in a new direction but stuck in their own ways. Will knock down anyone to protect their own.
Too Political
Assistant Auditor (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 4, 2019
The internal politics as well as the client politics outweighed all of the potential benefits. Several instances made me question their auditor
Independence. There were obvious familiarity risks.
There were some nice family friendly work policies but the workplace culture was too political.
Very stressful but satisfying because I was helping citizens obtain SS disability
Disability Claims adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 4, 2019
A very rewarding job but highly stressful because of caseload that averaged 150 to 200 clients. I gained much experience in dealing with people from all backgrounds and educational levels.
Pros
Excellent benefits. Paid vacations and holidays, ample salary
servant work
employee (Current Employee) –  downtown ColumbusFebruary 2, 2019
unless you are connected to the leaders, your experience, skills, insights do not matter. you don't get an opinion or asked to contribute, just do what you are told
Pros
the common employees are wonderful to work with for the most part
Cons
paying for parking, downtown commuting, no remote working flexibility
skills and Scope
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 30, 2019
• Lost Time Claims Examiner in Columbus Service Office • Determines covered medical insurance losses by studying provisions of policy or certificate. • Establishes proof of loss by studying medical and financial documentation; assembling additional information as required from outside sources, including claimant, physician, employer, hospital, and other insurance companies; initiating or conducting investigation of questionable claims. • Documents medical claims actions by completing forms, reports, logs, and records. • Resolves medical claims by approving or denying documentation; calculating benefit due; initiating payment or composing determination letters. • Ensures legal compliance by following company policies, procedures, guidelines, as well as state and federal insurance regulations. • Maintains quality customer services by following customer service practices; responding to customer inquiries. • Provides legal support by assembling documentation for settlement action. • Protects operations by keeping claims information confidential. • Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information. • Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations. • Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments. • Preparing, interpreting and managing ORC rules in conjunction with Policy and Procedures. • Completed the necessary training  more... in other examiner rolls to act as a liaison between general public, injured workers, attorneys, providers and the BWC  less
Pros
flex time
Cons
paid parking
Awesome job loved what I did
Victim advocate state of ohio (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 18, 2019
Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. A lot of instruction from a lot of different people. There was no clear view on what to do on a daily. Had to ask everyday except on the days we had parole board hearings
Pros
Working for the state
Cons
Stress
not a bad palce to work
LPN (Current Employee) –  Orient, OHJanuary 12, 2019
easiest nursing ever! not the best environment but it's a state job with great benefits and pretty good money. they are pretty flexible with time off, the only down side is mandatory OT.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
negative environment
Very Busy Place to work
Claims Manager Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 11, 2019
The state of Ohio was a great opportunity to work with great people in a very stressful environment. I was a manager and had very strict and time constraints reports to review, complete and follow up on.. Disciplining employees was a stressful situation as well,
Pros
Great Play
Cons
Very stressful
productive
Housing Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 8, 2019
the work environment was a team effort, I learned that you had to make sure you knew a lot about compliance and procedures the type of work we did. because It effect the customer.

Management sometime was not on the same page, they would not include the staff that was working the program,

making sure that the customer was satisfied and the company was in compliance with the state requirements.
Pros
I love helping the customers to fulfill there dreams
Cons
to much politics
Productive and Competitive
Law Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, OHJanuary 1, 2019
My section I worked for was rather small and not much room for advancement. The work enviroment and co workers were excellent. I would recommend to anyone.
Very stressful environment but paid well.
Correction sergeant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHDecember 31, 2018
Pay and benefits were great but work environment in a prison setting is very stressful. Enjoyed the job but policy changed weekly and it seemed like upper management didn’t want you to do your job but turn your head on wrongdoing.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stressful
No advancement
Reintegration AP1/ Correctional Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Caldwell OhioDecember 28, 2018
I’m not a big fan of this place only because they are very discriminative and is full of clicks. It makes it very hard for someone who is trying to build a career when you have to compete against everybody’s best friend and family member. This is not the type of job for someone who wants to make something of themselves or Move up in management. The benefits are decent but that is about it.
Pros
. The benefits are decent but that is about it.
Cons
It’s dangerous
Dont do it!
Traffic Signal Technician (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 27, 2018
The manager for the Traffic Signal Electrician job is unprofessional and a pain. The work is easy if the manager wasn’t too busy micromanaging you. His unprofessionalism is shown by the way he talks at people and not to them. This used to be a good department. We were actually productive. Now we are reactive.
Pros
State holidays
Cons
TM3 for the department is loony
great place to work
Seasonal worker (Former Employee) –  ohioDecember 19, 2018
Took care of Alum creek state park. Made sure that anything that needed to be completed to make guests comfortable and want to come back to visit. Did everything from cut grass to repair machines on a daily basis
It was good at first but as time went on got worse.
lead crews of 4 (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHDecember 12, 2018
At first was ok but as time went on found out more about way things and how promotions where given out by which party you were apart of. As things went on more things were taken away to balance the budget on the backs of the worker so the big wigs could give promotions to their friends and also cuts in benefits that really hurt as wages were low but benifits were ok then lost benifits and wages didnt go up.
good place to work
ht1 (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 12, 2018
unfortunately I can't really say much since I didn't work there long enough and regret ever leaving cause my life and attitude towards everything would have changed big time but no one would help me with it so I just up and quit which was the wrong thing to do , just wish if possible I could come back cause I do not want to be where I'm at anymore
Overall good place to work
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHDecember 10, 2018
Stressful at times simply because you are around convicted felons. However you have a lot of support from co workers and tends to be a tight group of people.
Great benefits
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHDecember 10, 2018
The State of Ohio has excellent benefits. It is important to note that this position involved working inside a correctional facility, which some individuals may not find easy.
Benefits
Cons
Restrictions due to being inside correctional facility
Good but low pay
Actuarial Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 8, 2018
The work is less stressful than private industry but also much lower pay. It starts at almost 66% of what you could make in private industry. But in the end you earn a comparable salary after years of service with an excellent retirement
Pros
Retirement, laid back
Cons
Low salary
Awesome place to work
Database Administration Specialist 2 (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 28, 2018
Best group of people I've ever worked with. Caring, great culture that emphasizes work and life balance, which is missing in many corporate locations these days.