State of Ohio Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Terrible Place To Work
Correctional Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHAugust 18, 2018
Pretty horrible job. I was not prepared for working with prisoners, but what was worse was my coworkers. Lazy, whiny, non-productive and generally useless. Not to mention the politics and turf wars. It got to the point I dreaded going in because nothing got done, our database system (eClinical Works) was not designed for the job. It was ridiculous trying to get anything done. Not to mention the worthless, non-qualified Affirmative Action managers the state loves to hire. Overall a very toxic, useless working environment.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
Full of lazy, useless people who only care about a paycheck and retirement.
Poor
Groundskeeper/Janitorial Services (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHAugust 14, 2018
Working with the state of Ohio prison system was one of the biggest mistakes I have made. They did not treat the employees with respect and the pay was horrible.
Not a good place
ELECTRONIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 14, 2018
Very stressful place to work. Working here very stressful. Stress is the number one problem with this company. Very stressful company. You are stressed from the time you get to wotk until the time you leave.
great learning environment
Maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHAugust 9, 2018
great place to learn and grow with partners that are willing to teach and help you grow as as a team as well as an individual person. very understanding and helpful managers and employees alike
Great Place to work
Solution Architect (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 27, 2018
Great Place to work with a bright and engaged team. Medicaid systems are vendor managed to understand their working was a challenge. But many new and varied technologies exist.
N/a
PAROLE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 26, 2018
I enjoy working for my current supervisor. I enjoy what i do. I believe that the job is what you make it to be. You have to be really organized in order to to this job.
Alright Workplace
Facility Maintenance Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHJuly 24, 2018
Its an alright workplace alot of good people working there and they were very helpful on helping me get the hours i needed to pay all my lving expenses.
Top down politically driven
Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 21, 2018
The culture continues to focus on and hinder itself due to top down heavy hand political influences. Your political affiliation determines your career success.
Pros
many diverse challenges
Cons
Political distractions foster counter productive working environment
Good platform to prove oneself and move in chosen direction
Full Time Tax Examiner Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 17, 2018
The organization does a good job training new employees in complex, in depth understanding of tax procedure and law. The training culminates after around 6 weeks into full time phone duty taking inbound calls from taxpayers. While this training is taking place, the employee has access to training literature as well as communication with lead agents to assist I resolving customer issues. This time answering calls, along with assistance from lead agents, develops the new agent into a confident and knowledgeable employee who is of great service to the taxpayer in understanding their tax situation.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Non stop calls
Stressful
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHJuly 17, 2018
You were just a body to fill a position they, management did not care about their workers. They didn’t value their employees at all. Employees have no rights.
Pros
Pay
Cons
what I learned, most enjoyable part of job,
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  ColumbusJuly 16, 2018
I learned to work with RAS, AS400 computer programs. I also learned to develop claims for people with disabilities. I loved the work I did to help people who needed to receive disability income. Developing claims was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
excellent benefits, flex-time, regular pay raises
Cool Job Without a Degree
Driver License Examiner 1 (Former Employee) –  Painesville, OHJuly 14, 2018
If you don't have a degree, working at the BMV is simple and can be exciting. You meet people from everywhere and being an examiner gives you a chance to get out of the office. If you don't like repetition, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU! You have the same uniform, say the same things, have the same routes everyday. If you enjoy working with people, you will like it. Punctuality is a must and uniform must be together at all times. Supervisors do pop ups but they are nice. There is opportunities to go to different locations around the state too. It's good if you're looking for security.
Pros
Security and Simple
Cons
Repetitive, Punctual
I've never worked for the state of ohio
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 9, 2018
I don't know what this is about. I don't work for the state of Ohio and never have. I can't get off of this page. I work for Tri-C and it is a county college but not owned by the state of Ohio.
Stable job with good benefits.
Account Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 8, 2018
I enjoyed the staff and working for the Industrial Commission. There were many aspects of my job that involved customer service. Not only reconciling the invoices but also setting up training for staff. The management staff were great when I worked there.
Pros
Good benefits, staff were great.
Cons
Parking downtown.
Sad to leave
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 2, 2018
I had been an employee of the State of Ohio for 7 years and absolutely loved it. Management could use some work and it was typically cliquey no matter what agency you'd work for. Typical political environment. One can advance quickly if you befriend the correct people.
A good contract job.
Psychiatrist (Former Employee) –  Lucasville, OHJuly 2, 2018
I worked for the state of Ohio part time as I built my practice in psychiatry. The individual who hired me was kind, flexible, and easy going. I worked very hard but not because of job demands but because of the human needs in the prison system where I worked as a psychiatrist. A tragic work setting but not a difficult work environment.
Pros
You know you are needed.
Cons
Contract work with no benefits
Ok place to work
Software Development Specialist 3 (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 26, 2018
Like any state position contractors get the best projects to work on while the state employee have to do bug fixes and maintenance on old software. State employees end up fixed the bugs that contractors make . The contractor leave and the state employee are stuck fixing their code. All this while making 3-4 times less than the contractors.
Pros
Quiet, freedom, job secuirty
Cons
pay way below standard, senior mgmt, location, old tech
overall aspect
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 13, 2018
Everything in Government and public service takes a long time to accomplish so you have to have a lot of patience. Sometimes you are stalled because your are waiting for something from another department so things move very slowly.
benefits
Cons
poor communication between departments
Ok
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHJune 12, 2018
Job has a lot of responsibility and rules must be mature to handle this position not for the very young. Room for advancement if your willing to go thru the motions
Employment
An employee (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 8, 2018
If you get into the right agency then your working days will be all good. Get in the wrong one and you’re looking at daily misery. Having a state job is always touted as a good thing and I’ve come to realize it’s really not all that.
Benefits
Cons
Office politics, poor management