State of Ohio Employee Reviews

Good but low pay
Actuarial Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 8, 2018
The work is less stressful than private industry but also much lower pay. It starts at almost 66% of what you could make in private industry. But in the end you earn a comparable salary after years of service with an excellent retirement
Pros
Retirement, laid back
Cons
Low salary
Awesome place to work
Database Administration Specialist 2 (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 28, 2018
Best group of people I've ever worked with. Caring, great culture that emphasizes work and life balance, which is missing in many corporate locations these days.
I learned if you are not a yes man and were able to lie about something or someone, you had no chance for promotion.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lorain, Trumbull, Youngstown Belmont OHNovember 28, 2018
The Department of Rehabilitation is not a fair department to work for if you have personal Integrity and you are not into the click groups. The Administration at each of the facilities base their preference on promotions as to how much of a friend you are instead of your Qualifications. I moved to several different institutions in order to promote and utilize my Degree and it was the same at all the Institutions. I didn't start at these Institutions so I wasn't into the privileged groups that were all promoted even though I met all the qualifications for the positions applied for.
Pros
Offer many career development courses
Cons
If not in the privileged groups of staff you have no chance for promotion
I think the checkmarks speak for themselves
Nurse 1 (Former Employee) –  TociNovember 14, 2018
If you are tough, dont care what type of nursing you do, and can figure out the rules, this job might work for you.nursing convicted felons in handcuffs is difficult.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No breaks, poor education, management w stooges who lie if they dont like you.
A learning experience
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 5, 2018
You will learn much. Departments are very silo oriented. You stay busy. Who you know is more important than what you know. Not saying you need to be knowledgeable, you do. However, leadership varies between very good to less than desirable and may vary within departments.

In my department very little of the job process was documented on procedures. Much of the training was tell you once and you take your own notes. Take good notes!
Pros
Good benefits, co-workers are generally nice.
Cons
Management is inconsistent
Great benefits, no advancement opportunities
Administrative Professional 1 (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 31, 2018
Repetitive work daily. No change in work routine. No advancement opportunities. Flexible work schedule. Typical work environment with some busy days and some slow days.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay
Cons
Management not professional
Stressful environment because to many changes happening to quickly
High energy leader (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 29, 2018
The changes that are being made are good, but
Are being made to quickly. We donot have enough
Of a work force to make these changes all at once
Causing tired and stressed out employees.
Pros
I like the people I work with
Cons
Not enough help, Stressful, Managers dont seem to care
Management/Advancement
Wage Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 28, 2018
The management is not the best but the benefits are hard to beat. Advancement is hard because no one leaves these jobs!!! The workplace can be demanding and challenging. There is way too much stress on meeting numbers versus actually servicing customers but it is not bad.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management/Too much stress on meeting numbers
Decent place to work
Corrections officer (Current Employee) –  Grafton, OHOctober 20, 2018
Management is lacking but it’s an ok place to work l guess I have to write more so this thing will let me continue but I really don’t have anything else to say so I’m just typing this so hopefully I can continue now
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Poor management, inmates have more rights than we do, there is no unity
This was unemployment, not a job.
Unemployment (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHOctober 19, 2018
This was not a true employer. This was unemployment. Please do not refer to this entry as an actual time of employment. I was receiving unemployment benefits at the listed time.
Circleville
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Gratiot, MIOctober 17, 2018
Working as a correctional officer provided pride and honor. Although being behind prison walls is never fully safe, the organization focused on safety for its staff and incarcerated
Pros
Training
Cons
bein locked behind bars with troubled diversity.
No Job Security
Account Examiner (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 15, 2018
You are a paying, voting member of the OSCEA union with absolutely no job security in the first 12 months. Everyone who works within the department must start in TPS PIT (tax payer services, personal income tax). It's a call center, make no mistake about that. You are metaphorically strapped to your cubicle, your every move is monitored, you cannot go to the bathroom without the ever watchful eye and while you earn PTO, you are punished for taking it. You are reminded on a regular basis that your employment is at will within that 1st year, it is an unsubtle threat. Training is a joke, "leads" are just employees who have been there a long time and are bitter and unhelpful, managers answer to a higher power and are equally terrified of losing their jobs, so they go about making your life miserable. The turn over is very high. I was hired in a group of 7 people, 3 left on their own volition, 1 was fired and 3 will hopefully achieve their 1 year on 11/13/18 (I made it 8 months before quitting). Prepare for a new level of micro management.
Pros
Pay, PTO after 1 year
Cons
Its alright to work for the state of ohio
Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHOctober 14, 2018
Work was stressful very poor management had decent benefits. Had decent vacation time could earn sick leave and work overtime if you wanted it. Over all not a great place to work.
stressful
OFFICER (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 10, 2018
high stress, long hours, unfair labor practice, no breaks, unfair discipline, hard to advance, good health care benefits, pay could be better, wouldnt recommend to anyone married
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no breaks
Stressful workplace with great benefits
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHSeptember 27, 2018
Maintained the safety and security of the staff, inmates, and property. Supervised adjudicated youth during meals, visits, recreational, telephone calls, shower time, school, etc. Kept detailed records, activity, and accountability of inmates. Patrolled and inspected units, yards, and building. Searched youth and cells daily for contraband
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
secretary
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 25, 2018
This was an job that I really liked. The people there were great and they made the place an enjoyable experience. The experience I had was truly invaluable.
Heartland Behavior Healthcare
Health Information Technician II/Discharge Analyst (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHSeptember 22, 2018
Love it so far. This was a career change for me. I graduated college in December and I applied for this position in May. Got a call two weeks later for an interview and than offered the position 1-2 weeks later. Only place that actually gave me an opportunity being that I had no experience other than education. My pay is more than any other company would offer, training is very thorough, my manager listen and understands me. My work schedule is awesome. 8-4pm with flex time. Cheap medical, free dental, vision and life after a year. A raise after 6 months and than every year after guaranteed. The union also gives a 2-3% raise yearly which mean you pretty much get a wage every 6 months. The union also negotiate your wages every years. I basically was offered one wage and being that the union negotiated the contract, I got an increase when I started. You get a pension retirement plan and tuition reimbursement plus so much more.
Pros
Cons
Not necessarily a con but we're still on paper
Cut throat
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHSeptember 20, 2018
Unless you are a female, you could advance. But there's a catch you have to be very friendly to some of the guy's in Operations. It seems if you do your job there is a chance to be fired without warning. Be a corrupt staff in Indian river and you can advance.
Pros
Health care
Cons
Staff
Toxic
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 19, 2018
High stress. low support environment. Benefits and retirement are slowly being taken away by the administration. These are the things that made the job worth it, and they are being eroded due to lack of planning and foresight by the State government.
DODD Review
.NET DEVELOPER (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2018
Love to work here, very friendly and supportive development team. Learnt lot of thing working here at State. Hate to leave but looking for some full time employment.