State of Oklahoma Employee Reviews

This was a great job at first, but new management and furloughs got in the way
Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 20, 2018
If you work for the state of oklahoma and live in oklahoma, make your state proud! I loved this job so very much and really learned alot, I traveled all over and helped many people.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
DHS was emotionally draining but also rewarding work
Child Welfare Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 18, 2018
The hardest part was only being able to influence so much positive change. I enjoyed the flexibility in work schedule but sometimes I did not enjoy being on call.
Case Management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJune 18, 2018
A very good place to work. Good employees and staff, I enjoyed my tenure there and would like to work there again. Good management and good benefits. I still have good friends there.
it is what you make it.
Licensed Real Estate Agent (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 15, 2018
Your results will be the fruits of your labor. Do the work and you will be compensated for it. have written goals and reach them. Set a schedule and follow it.
Public School Teacher
MATH TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKMay 20, 2018
I hold a certified teaching certificate for the state of Oklahoma. My endorsements of highly qualified are in general math, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, math analysis, health, and physical education.
Depends on Administration
Systems Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 3, 2018
Work depends on your team, some teams are high performing and some are not. Some people are career state employees and will do just the minimum to keep their jobs.
never a dull minute
State Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 27, 2018
the house of representatives was always interesting. From dealing the spaceport, to education funding to roads and bridges, it was always something interesting
Pros
meet neat people
Cons
elections are hard work
Truth
Adult Protective Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  OklahomaFebruary 25, 2018
The state lacks support and financial backing to provide social services that support our most vulnerable citizens. However, I worked with amazing people and management that support these citizens to the best of their ability with limited support from the state. Such as with our teachers in the state. The most enjoyable part of the job, to say the job was enjoyable, was when you were able to provide services to address exploitation, neglect and abuse of our fellow citizens.
Pros
Dedicated co workers
Cons
Poor support from state legislature in support of social services.
great place
State of Oklahoma Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 10, 2018
State Park Ranger was a fun and exciting place to work. however, the pay as in all law enforcement is not that great. but if you enjoy parks and people it is a great place to work.
Ping Pong would be great for some. My vote would be for a workout gym.
Senior Case Manager (Former Employee) –  McAlester, OKFebruary 8, 2018
A typical day at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary (OSP}. My first task was to proceed to Offender housing and speak with each man on 2 of 4 Quads. We were short staffed which caused each of us to work a double caseload. It takes approximately 2- 4 hours to speak to each offender. We returned to our offices to enter all comments to their records. Every day we retrieve their mail, clothes. Once a week we would pick up their canteen, escort them to the Library and Medical (if eligible}. The hardest part of the job was daily visitation. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping offenders prepare for the GED.
Pros
The Warden's occasional Steak, Bar BQ, fish fry, Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners.
Cons
Breaks, lunches and pat downs.
Typical State Organization - Politics
System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 2, 2018
Politics play a major role in advancement. Training for individuals was limited and broad based for Management. None of the training that management participated in ever trickled down.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Politics
unexplanatory
Mechanic/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Taft, OKFebruary 1, 2018
My job was more volunteer based. I ran the maintenance shop on all fleet vehicles and completed the tasks of preventative maintenance. I also kept up inventory and appearance.
Excellent Place To Work
Workforce Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sapulpa, OKJanuary 17, 2018
Working for the State of Oklahoma was a very good experience. Friendly people pulling together for a great cause was only part of the experience. Helping people to meet their employment needs and working with them through the step by step process was very rewarding
Pros
A lot of great perks.
Cons
Very few pay raises once you reach a certain level.
bailiff
District Court Bailiff (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 10, 2018
loved working with the judges and lawyers, team oriented, great job, just couldn't advance any higher than I was so left to go back to school in the medical field.
Slow paced
Analyst (Current Employee) –  OklahomaDecember 24, 2017
Slow pace, and co-workers don't want to advance.
Co-workers not interested in innovation, or efficiency.
For the most part - bad management.
No opportunities for advancement.
Okdps
Systems and Server Administration, Webmaster (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 7, 2017
Working for the Department of Public Safety was a very friendly, enjoyable career. The management did the best with what the State budgets would allow and always tried to make sure the employees had everything they needed to succeed.
Social Services Specialist
Social Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 6, 2017
Very low pay, high caseloads, over the top policies and processes designed to make it near impossible to complete cases completely accurately. Case reviews are shared in weekly meetings, including calling out individuals publicly for mistakes. Not fun.
Pros
No overtime, so good work/life balance
Cons
Low pay, large caseloads, little management support
Its all about who you know and not what you know.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  OKC, OKDecember 6, 2017
Managers and supervisors are threatened when somebody who makes less than them knows more about the job than they do. It's the good ole buddy system for ODOT.
Benefits
Cons
Cliques
I benefited from this job, it taught many office procedures, etc.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKDecember 5, 2017
Would work for the Sate of Oklahoma again, if offered a position.
I enjoyed the work and learned some things I never knew, advanced in rank 3 times while working with the State.
Pros
The days flew by because of being extremely busy all day, every day.
Cons
I didn't take my morning and afternoon breaks due to overload of paperwork.
Tax Commission main bldg
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 30, 2017
Older crowd 35-70. No overtime compensated in pto. Extreme "POWER TRIPS" and favoritism. Co-workers with years of experience working there, not real open to change. Makes it known constantly who's been there the longest so that you won't forget. Hires a lot of tempts in during tax season, then let them go.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Oklahoma. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight