State of Oklahoma Employee Reviews

Some really good people
Business Analyst/Tech Writer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 12, 2019
The management is slipping. They are making all employees at will so there is no security, very little training and no management support. Several of the managers are intrained.
Four day work week was a benefit
Military Construction Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 25, 2019
Working in a military environment was quite a change for me. Other state workers weren't as commited to their jobs as I experienced in my past jobs. Job training for my job was nearly nonexistent.
Poor workplace culture
HR Coordinator (Regions I, II, and III) (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 16, 2019
Organization is built upon personnel who have worked within the organization for years and are not open to new ideas or progress in order to better the state and the community.
Pros
Good if you are "in the clicks"
Cons
Poor if you are not a member of a certain group
Not a long term career
PAROLE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 3, 2019
No work-life balance. Little compensation for degree required professionals. The agency has continual turnover resulting in extremely high caseloads and unrealistic expectations.
Worked with through school
Student (Former Employee) –  OECJanuary 2, 2019
Worked with the OEC through a disaster relief course. The staff were polite and very work oriented. Was not a paid job nor was I an employee. From what I saw I would recommend looking into a position here.
Alot of work needs to be done it's a mess in there
Oklahoma (Former Employee) –  OklahomaNovember 30, 2018
Alot of work needs to be done it's a mess in there t there's not enough supplies in there people are dying in there a portion of food is like for babies when everyone in their eyes grown it's disgusting there was water that floated up to our knees while we were in the working environment it needs to be shut down
It is a fun place to work I learned a lot.
Deposit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 23, 2018
It is a good job, flexible hours, and they allow you sick days. You can work at your own pace, but there are deadlines you have to meet, but no one is standing over your shoulder making sure you do every meticulous thing. You are allowed to listen to your head phones.
It’s ok
Juvenile security officer 3 (Former Employee) –  TecumsehOctober 8, 2018
It’s ok for awhile but has great benefits. The job can be stressful but it can be rewarding as well because you play a significant role in juveniles lives. You can help make a difference in a juveniles life for long term deter them from their old ways.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Great retirement
Various Positions Held (Former Employee) –  OklahomaSeptember 20, 2018
The State of Oklahoma offered great benefits. The pay may seem low compared to industry standards, but full-time employees receive an allowance towards benefits which offset what may seem like low wages.
Pros
Security
Cons
Beauracracy
Hostile.
Call Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 17, 2018
The overall atmosphere among my coworkers was one of do only what you had to do to keep the supervisor happy. I was criticized for getting my work done and asking for more. I felt that I did not have a future here, as the job duties fluctuated, and the work I did well was taken away, and I was put in a position to do work that a trained child could have done. Not exactly inspiring to someone who likes to work and do it well.

I learned the tasks of the job.

Management was biased in favor of existing employees and did not attempt to smooth things over.

Workplace culture was one of existing employees against new/temp employees.

The hardest part of the job was to go to work in a hostile environment.

The work was the most enjoyable part of the job, and the friendliness of some of the other temps.
Pros
A steady paycheck
Cons
Nonsupport for work done well and quickly. Hostility of co-workers for "making us look bad."
Good Work/Life Balance
Accounting Technician I (Former Employee) –  OklahomaAugust 31, 2018
Working for the State is great if you are looking for something not too stressful with great benefits. I was able to have a very good work/life balance while employed with the State and would consider working for then again now that I have finished university.
Parole officer
Parole Officer II (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKAugust 27, 2018
Terrible. Run away. Run fast! Bosses dont care about employees. DOC only cares about the higher ups. Get written up for silly things and for no reason.
Pros
Cons
Job is terrible. Bosses dont care
oklahoma public employees retirement system
WITHDRAWAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 16, 2018
very relaxed work environment, ability to implement your own ideas . work at your own, pace. developement your own plan of action. great management. . learned alot about the oklahoma public retirement system.
Pros
great benefits, great work environment
Cons
low wages, monthly paychecks.
My experience working for the State was a very positive one.
Revenue Clerk/ Patient Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKJuly 31, 2018
A very good work environment, with all the supplies and accommodations I'd ever asked for.
Pleasant co-workers, pleasant supervisor, always busy and loved my job with the State of Oklahoma.
Pros
A great place to work!
Cons
DMH has some dificult clients to discuss certain things with.
HSE Intern
Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73105July 11, 2018
I only worked part time as an Intern. A typical day would include going to meet with my manager and getting a list of what i needed to do that day. I was only there for for 4 months before i graduated.
This was a great job at first, but new management and furloughs got in the way
Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 20, 2018
If you work for the state of oklahoma and live in oklahoma, make your state proud! I loved this job so very much and really learned alot, I traveled all over and helped many people.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
DHS was emotionally draining but also rewarding work
Child Welfare Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 18, 2018
The hardest part was only being able to influence so much positive change. I enjoyed the flexibility in work schedule but sometimes I did not enjoy being on call.
Case Management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJune 18, 2018
A very good place to work. Good employees and staff, I enjoyed my tenure there and would like to work there again. Good management and good benefits. I still have good friends there.
it is what you make it.
Licensed Real Estate Agent (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 15, 2018
Your results will be the fruits of your labor. Do the work and you will be compensated for it. have written goals and reach them. Set a schedule and follow it.
Public School Teacher
MATH TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKMay 20, 2018
I hold a certified teaching certificate for the state of Oklahoma. My endorsements of highly qualified are in general math, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, math analysis, health, and physical education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Oklahoma. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight