State of Oregon Employee Reviews

Had to be quick thinking
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  OregonJuly 11, 2018
Taking care of my client was a blessing. She was a very good sport even considering the position she was in. She was very caring and patient with me. She did her best to help when she could.
Pros
The one on one interaction
Cons
She passed away
Hard job
Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 5, 2018
Crazy amount of cases and work coming in and out. You have to deal with a wide range of different clients that spread through oregon very hectic get ready for a ride.
very stressful
Child Welfare Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 29, 2018
child welfare work is extremely stressful and the salary is not enough to live in portland. many colleagues had health problems related to stress of working with challenging and sad situations.
Ok
Waiter (Former Employee) –  OregonJune 29, 2018
Ok good easy place to work but not where is like to be. Not a fan of the environment and would like more variety. Fun people and not so fun people.....
Custodian
Maintance/ custodian (Former Employee) –  Willsonville Or.June 28, 2018
I worked as a maintenance/ custodian.
I would open the building, and start work at 7am.
I was considered the (in house custodian)
There were two other custodians that worked a night
shift. But they worked for a cleaning service that was
contracted with Oregon Institute Of Technology.
I often set up classrooms, cleaned labs/ restrooms/ kitchen
and generally took care of the facility.
Pros
Easy, very little stress
Good Work Life Balance
Service Solutions Manager – Principal Management (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 25, 2018
Not expected to typically work beyond ~40 hours a week and provides good vacation hours. The fundamental problem with government in general is that you can only do what's allowed in the law (vs a private sector can do anything that's not against the law); there's no competition. The legislative branch can also be a challenge to sometimes educate.
Was a great bunch people we worked for
Maintenance/Yard Crew (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 23, 2018
They kept us busy at all types of different jobs including janitorial, and landscaping. There were just the two of us working no together and although it was vertically no pay I learned a lot of different skills that I wouldn’t have at some other job
Pros
Crew we worked for
it's all in days work
Compliance Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 17, 2018
A typical day at work was traveling to inspection appointments throughout the tri county area and sometimes to the coast. I conducted inspections, enforced rule and laws in child care settings and conducted complaint investigations.

I learned to deal with the public in hostile situations and to work with those struggeling to meet state standards.

Workplace culture varied by the support of your manager. At times it was wonderful and other times very little support was granted.

The hardest part of the job was enforcing regulation and not being supported by the management team.

The most enjoyable was to see happy healthy children engage in an uplifting program and seeing the results.
Pros
Flexiablility
Cons
Lack of Management Support
a great place to work
Program Support Specialist DAS (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 13, 2018
The state of oregon was a great place to work. Situated on beautiful grounds in down town salem. Very structured. Fair employment. If only my life was more in order at the time i worked there I would probably still be there.
benefits
Cons
I was harassed and discriminated against.
Mental Health Therapy Technician (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 10, 2018
My entire journey with the State of Oregon was full of bullies and harassment. I was retaliated against for reporting such matters. My whole life was changed and ruined because of the lack of integrity and the abuse they allowed me to go through. They don’t reprimand employees; it was like being in a school yard with bullies threatening, making fun of me, talking about race, etc, the list goes on. The DAS and DOJ have integrity, however at a lower level, the State of Oregon has a lot of issues.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No integrity- doesn’t follow workplace laws
No support
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  OregonMay 20, 2018
Insurance group I worked under dissolved company, they weren't organized and didn't provide and support, had to share commission as well. Didn't see value in continuing.
An Exciting Place to Start Your State Carreer
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 15, 2018
I enjoyed working at the State of Oregon as a temporary worker and wished the job was permanent. The workplace culture is relaxed and scent free. The hardest part of the job was it ending.
Pros
great job
Cons
only temporary
Empowering and structured
Seasonal Business Employment Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 15, 2018
Great leadership in UI Claims. Growing to meet demand of the working culture in the contact center. Multiple job types available and a truly collaborative environment. I look forward to becoming a permanent/full time employee in the future.
Pros
Health Insurance, Union
Cons
Temporary
Like my coworkers, they offered helpful suggestions but managers were more interested in quantity than quality of my call production
Public Service Representative 3 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 1, 2018
Training was adequate but call volumes and work processes of mentors did not match the work expectations of my call center position which was expected to be more concise and higher in call volume. Very little input from managers if job productivity was below expected standards, just advised to work faster.
Public service with good benefits
Information Systems Specialist 3 (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 26, 2018
Public service carries a certain reputation for bureaucracy and useless busy work, but that was not my experience working in the Service Desk for Oregon Health Authority. I found a welcoming group of warm individuals who are passionate about assisting our customers (fellow state employees) in helping the citizens of Oregon. The work schedule was predictable, but each day was different; every service call presents a different problem to solve. Our managers were both competent and willing to accommodate different work styles. The benefits are good, and the pay is sufficient (not great). I can't speak for other departments around the agency or state, but this one was very pleasant.
Pros
Predictable schedule, good benefits and job security, strong union representation
Cons
Compensation could be better, strong union representation
No guidance
Home Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 18, 2018
I am not technically considered a state employee as I am a home care worker. I do not care for this work but it is something I do well and it is always available. The least enjoyable part of my job is that there is no guidance. You are on your own to figure it out. Luckily, I have common sense and gumption. Thanks to the union the job pays well and offers good benefits. The classes offered by the Oregon Home Care Commission are very helpful as well.
Pros
Good wage, benefits, paid training
Cons
No guidance, lack of structure
Poor work environment
Instructor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORApril 10, 2018
this is not a place to work
no management, no work ethic, nothing gets done and pay is very low
environment is terrible, very inconsistent, the only thing that was consistent was the inconsistency.
cut throat
Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 2, 2018
To many people and not enough honest work to keep them busy. They have entirely to much time on their hands and so gossip is a huge part of their day. They all resemble the high school "mean girls".
They are not to be trusted !
Hard to get recomendatoins
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 21, 2018
While I working for the state of Oregon I always tried to go above and beyond what was required for day to day work. With that being said it was very hard to get a reference even when I was told several time that I was one of the best workers in a long time
Great Employees
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORMarch 21, 2018
Very dedicated to the well being of the most vulnerable populations. They go above and beyond what most expect and I would recommend anyone apply for positions with The State of Oregon.