State of Oregon Employee Reviews

Hard rewarding work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORSeptember 19, 2018
I was lucky to have an amazing client. Their was alot of work involved, we did everything for him as he was bed ridden. The job varies by your client and they're difficulty. Their system changed a few times on how you entered your hours and for the longest time you didn't get overtime. It's kind of a hit or miss.
Pros
Rewarding work
overall rating
Revenue Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salem, OR 97301September 11, 2018
it was a very good place to work for. I felt confident in what I was doing and lots of people were patient and hard working.

I learned a lot about tax season
Enjoyed the job. Manager was good and fair to all employee's.
Child Support Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 8, 2018
Retired 2018, but enjoyed my job. Very good benefits, and flexible hours. Management was fair to all employee's. Comfortable, relaxing, friendly environment.
Pros
Health benefits, paid sick and vacation time.
Cons
Not many raises
I enjoy helping the elderly, learning from their experiences
Senior & Disability Services (Current Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORSeptember 5, 2018
Each of my clients have taught me different things, from names of trees to how to cook exotic foods. My clients become family to me and I treat them with respect. I take them shopping, to medical appointments, helping them with showers, doing their laundry, and fixing their meals. The hardest part of this job is when they pass away. It's like losing a family member.
Pros
Learning from my clients and being able to feel needed.
Cons
The loss in my heart when they pass away.
Excellent Place To Work No Matter what You Have Heard!!
Operations & Policy Analyst, Tribal Liaison (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR & Salem, OregonAugust 26, 2018
A great place to work, any of the many agencies and a great chance for advancement. This organization is a very easy target for haters of government and right-wing hacks who aren't for fairness, equality or other radical things like that but is a good place to work and have a career with if you desire to work with dedicated people, good management, good oversight and good working environments.
Pros
Good Work environment, good chances for advancement, equality
Cons
Easy targets of government-Public service haters, mgt will not let employees respond to lies told about them
Great overall experience in the IT environment
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 22, 2018
I had a great experience working at ODOT for a difficult project that was not well embraced by the agency or state. I had great management support, was allowed to work on my own largely unsupervised, and was greatly appreciated for my efforts.
Steady Secure Job
Human Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 16, 2018
This job is perfect for the person who has a laid back personality and who doesn't take things personally. Due to the amount of stress and clients who like to yell about their situations it becomes a very charged atmosphere with all of the workers. Many of the workers are burnt-out, but continue to work.
Benefits
Cons
High Stress
Good benefits
Office Specialist I and II (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 15, 2018
The state was pretty good about hiring staff for open positions.Benefits were good. There was always work to be done. Management needed to improve. The management and Human Resources needs to learn to listen to their employees better. I really enjoyed the work and the pace.
Benefits
Cons
Work envirnoment
Treatment Foster Care
Treatment Forster Care (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORAugust 14, 2018
If you have a desire to see children who have had a rough go in life be given the chance to succeed then Treatment Foster Care is the perfect opportunity. It requires a selfless attitude and ability to care about the future of another human being beyond your own comfort.
Long term employment
Business & Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pendleton, ORAugust 7, 2018
Is a place for a career and long term employment. Is Unionized and benefited employer. Laid back atmosphere and great work life balance. Yearly raises and unionized employer. Job doesn't have as much opportunities in rural areas as in metro area's.
Pros
Pays good with benefits
Cons
Not much room for promotion in rural area's.
this was temporary
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 6, 2018
This job kept you busy but it was a relaxed environment. There were times that it could get stressful but after the moment passed you just finished your job and headed home.
easy going
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Madras, ORAugust 6, 2018
Easy going work place.I learn to work around positive peoples.Management was excellent source of information when I need help. Hardest part of the job was none. I enjoyed every thing about my job.
Amazing place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 31, 2018
This is an excellent place to work. Everyone is so nice and helpful and everyone work together as a team. I loved assisting the clients with their tax credit applications and being able to work with contractors to request invoices or copies of customer applications. I really don't think there was a hard part to my job. I loved it
Productive, organized and rewarding place to work
Human Services Specialist III (Case Worker) (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJuly 30, 2018
Great training and personal development.

Extremely rewarding job. I grew personally in this position and was extremely grateful to serve those in need.
Pros
Ability to give back to the community and serve those in need
Cons
pay
LOVED working for the state!
Caregiver-Youth (Former Employee) –  OregonJuly 22, 2018
Being a provider for the State was such a pleasure and i'd do it again!
Only downside was that when they re-evaluated the number of hours my client was approved for it meant they had to remove one provider and reduce hours available to whomever they kept and since i was the newer of the 2 for the client i sadly lost my hours while the other provider had to take a big cut in their weekly hours. So sometimes it happens suddenly which sucks, but hey it's life. The State does amazing with trying to help find a new client in a timely matter as long as you put in your effort with the search as well.
Pros
Flexible Hours; Amazing Clients
Cons
Can Suddenly Loose Hours
Excellent pay and benefits
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 22, 2018
Great job to learn, grow and help people in significant ways. Some managers can be challenging to work with. The workplace culture is what you bring to the party. Difficult clients to work with at times but managers are supportive. Getting to work with a great team of professionals who make a difference is the best part.
Pros
Flexible schedule, excellent culture
Cons
Hard work
fun
Caregiver/ Babysitter (Former Employee) –  Prineville, ORJuly 21, 2018
cook clean play with the kids did home work with the kids loved my job so much never was late or missed a day was a really fun job and taking care of old people is really fun
Excellent job
Human Services Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 20, 2018
For around a year I was a front desk staff person with the self sufficiency (food stamps) department. I would often balance between greeting clients, answering phones, and assisting with appointment scheduling. The fixed hours were great being able to know my schedule and plan personal things accordingly, knowing I would NEVER be called in after hours or early. The hardest parts of the job would definitely be angry clients which is at best emotionally strenuous. The most enjoyable part is being part of such an effective team and being able to help my community.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, great coworkers
Cons
Difficult to advance
Wonderful caring people
Human Services Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Newport OregonJuly 19, 2018
Office professionals along with Manages who truly care about the clients they serve. Providing great service along with showing empathy and kindess in a challenging situation
Stressful environment
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Woodburn, OR and Florence, ORJuly 18, 2018
Working for the State of Oregon was an eye opening experience. There were both good and bad time but overall it was a negative experience. The lack of clarification in the job led to an array of problems.