State of Oregon Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORNovember 13, 2017
It gave me the opportunity to learn a different trade, such as being a Barista. I learned alot about the coffee business and how to make different types of drinks.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
outdoor weather
Great care for elderly
Home Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORNovember 5, 2017
I didn't have a supervisor or manager. I was able to take care of my clients without any help from the state. It was a very fulfilling job knowing that I actually improved the quality of life for 2 senior, disabled citizens.
Case Worker
Permanency Worker - Department of Human Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 26, 2017
During my 4 years at DHS I have a blast learning about different people and where they come from, why they are involved with the agency, and what problems brought them in. I loved my coworker and my supervisor and I was sad when I left for grad school. Looking back on it, I would not change anything even my leaving the agency when I did.
Pros
cool coworkers, can get overtime if needed, connecting with people
Cons
working with crazy parents, alot of policy changes happened and high caseloads.
Good Place to work
Business Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 26, 2017
Overall my experience was a good one. The culture was good. The team work between the staff was excellent with a few exceptions. Most enjoyable was helping people on the phone to achieve their needs within the laws and rules of the State of Oregon
Pros
regular 40 hr week, benefits, holiday pay, friendly co workers, no sales targets
limited
Addictions and Mental Health Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Albany, OROctober 18, 2017
I am limited in hours and pay. I would like to be paid more and given more hours. Also, I would like to utilize my degree in a more professional environment
benefits
Cons
not enough hours and low pay
DHS was happy to place me as a caregiver when a friend asked for me.
In Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OROctober 16, 2017
State of Oregon, Dept of Human Resources was very proactive in placing me as the caregiver for a cancer patient when he asked for me by name. They walked me through the paperwork and training classes and kept up to date on my client's personal affairs.
Pros
Fair pay for hours and services given
Cons
Sometimes difficult getting ahold of the case manager.
Always more with less...
Procurement and Contracts Specialist 3 (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 11, 2017
The state's culture is to cut costs but we were never able to find qualified persons to fill positions, thus we were expected to do more with less. This produced a very stressful and anxious environment. Management was understanding but stakeholders were not, timelines were unreasonable...
Benefits
Cons
Work load
Great
Project Manager/ BA (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 25, 2017
Fantastic VP and Director to work for. Relaxed and fun environment which made going to work enjoyable. My commute to and from work was easy , very little traffic. Flexibility in work schedule was also a perk
Good people
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORSeptember 11, 2017
I worked with a wonderful team in child welfare and enjoyed my time there. This department worked hard and sincerely cared for their clients. It is a tough job working to help abused children AND their families and these workers strived to do the best they could in all situations.
Pros
Fun times
Cons
Sadness of dealing with abused kids.
Work is challenging
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORSeptember 9, 2017
I have always preferred to work for State of City governmental agencies. I prefer to be the one that people can come to for assistance when help is needed. I believe that the State of Oregon has the potential to provide amazing support to it's citizens through their workers.
Pros
Excellent benefits, set schedule and holidays off
Cons
Very stressful, managers were not available for assistance

Want to know more about State of Oregon?

Ask a question
Productive and Fun place to work with
Content writer/ Technical writer (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 1, 2017
Good company and good people to work with. They help you overcome the bottle neck and hindrance in your routine working. Good place to work and learn new and challenging things.
Childcare Provider State of Oregon
In-Home Registered Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  state of ORAugust 31, 2017
A typical day as a childcare provider not applicable because there will always be suprises when working with children. Everyday is an adventure but none the less always rewarding. Childcare managment is full of change and challenge. I have had clients from the ages of ten months old to 12 years old more than 8 over a ten year span. being a part of there development has been very hard at times but rewarding an enjoyable.
Pros
working with children is very rewarding
Cons
the state pay rate is only 2.93 per hr per child
Very Competitive
Self Employed Real Estate Broker (Current Employee) –  Medford, ORAugust 30, 2017
Real Estate is a very competitive career. Long hours and crazy people make real estate exhausting. With low inventory and high prices buyers are having a difficult time purchasing a home.
Memorable
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baker City, ORAugust 24, 2017
Competitive workplace great instructors good production cleanliness was good staff was great then you what they were doing it was just a good place to work
Another great place to work.
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 18, 2017
I worked with the State of Oregon in various positions for almost 7 years. I started as a Receptionist and worked my up from there. The benefits package was absolutely wonderful. Time off was great as well. I learned a lot of different things as I worked in few different departments of the State. The workplace culture was awesome. We were very close knit with each other.
Pros
Lots of advancement opportunities, great benefits package, paid time off was great as well.
Cons
Pay day was on the first of each month.
Highly stressful environment, work with difficult and often violent populations. Challenging though can be rewarding!
Social Services Specialist I (case Manager) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 17, 2017
The situation that creates so many poor and disadvantaged citizens is the HUGE disparity of wealth in this country! So, an "under-class" of minimally paid workers and or growing numbers of unemployed workers, with little to no health insurance equals severe poverty, poor health, crime, alcohol, drugs, etc.
There is no safety net!
The wealthy take a disproportionate share of the resources in terms of salaries, benefits, tax shelters, etc. Jobs, health benefits, and then housing and other resources disappear for lower wage workers.
This is why the jobs are so stressful. There are so many people in need, they exist in the worst poverty, have difficult mental and physical health care needs but they do not get their needs met.
The situation is difficult for state workers because in our current culture, the real life needs of people; housing, health care, food, safety, etc., are not a priority! So, the state comes into the picture ONLY when it becomes (almost) an unmanageable crisis!
That is too late!
Pros
Children and other vulnerable populations can get help if they know where to go.
Cons
The situation is out of control! People are living and dying in the streets!
Competative wages
Home Care Worker and Personal Support (Current Employee) –  Medford, ORAugust 16, 2017
Good wages with lots of potential to receive paid trainings. Hard to find and maintain clients due to the nature of the industry, but, regardless, I love my job.
Pros
pay
Cons
lack of benefits, lack of referal to clients
Government work
Branch Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  OregonAugust 16, 2017
It's government work so it's a bureaucracy that's good at spending my tax dollars and not much else. Projects start and then when they fail, they change the name and call it a new project.
Great people
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens, ORAugust 9, 2017
This was the best company to work for. The benefits are great, the management is good and they do care about their employees. I would love to go back and continue my career.
I recommend!
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 9, 2017
Working for the State of Oregon to evaluate state tests is fun and convenient. It is great to work with teachers around the state. It is a wonderful opportunity!
Pros
Meet new people