State of Oregon Employee Reviews

Good people low pay
Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Oregon City, ORJanuary 10, 2019
Worked there for 2.5 years good job and benefits but the pay is lacking. Great co workers, management was usually in meetings and left the workers to it. Be a self starter and you’ll go far.
Would not work there again
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 6, 2019
That place was a bad place to work an i would never work there again. It was clean I can say that but I would never go back never. No I would not recommend this job
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 1, 2019
Good source of income and flexible hours. The pay could be a little higher since the cost of living is outrageous in Oregon. But otherwise, I'd recommend this employer.
I would work for them again
Caregiver (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 28, 2018
Job pay was acceptable for part time work. Manager was knowledgeable and open to suggestions. Typical days are dictated by the client, meaning some days are cleaning, laundry, general household. Some days are doctor appointments and grocery shopping. It all depended on the clients needs. The client I had was hard to work for demanding unreasonable
requests, changing the rules daily. The most enjoyable part of working for this client was grocery shopping.
Pros
Great hours most days and no weekends for the most part.
Cons
Some days were very long hours that I didn’t get paid for, example being when she needed 24 hour care after surgery.
Great place to serve people in need
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milton-Freewater, ORDecember 26, 2018
DHS is a great agency to work for. They always strive to help those in need and help them become self sufficient. The work environment is great and very team oriented.
Workload and Safety issues
SSS1 (Former Employee) –  OregonDecember 18, 2018
Being a Social Service Specialist be prepared to work long hours and not have a life. Workload unmanageable and very high stress. Major safety issues that the state or the union want to deal with.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, workload, safety issues.
Tough job but somebody has to do it!
Benefit and Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORDecember 13, 2018
I loved days when all employees showed up to work consistently and took responsibility for actions and decisions made. Sadly, that wasn't very often.
The office worked great together when all staff showed up.
Pros
great health care benefits
Cons
stressful
foster care
Foster Parent and Daycare Provider (Former Employee) –  Foster, ORDecember 10, 2018
It was fulfilling work. taking care of another little human and making sure they feel welcome and well taken care of even though they are not with their birth family
The Manager Sets the Tone
Human Service Specialist 3, Bilingual Spanish (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 3, 2018
If one is fortunate to get a good manager that is in tune with their staff, it's a great place to work. But if the opposite is the case, look for other employment. In this company, it is one or the other and there is no middle ground. Salary wise, they freeze everyone's salary the moment one is hired, this includes cost of living raises. The pay is not comparable to private salaried businesses.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Poor morale building
Good
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, ORNovember 26, 2018
Worked as a personal support worker for my nephew, so it was an inner branch of the state of Oregon. I don't know what else to write here as there was not much to the job that I feel should be on a review.
Fast pased, long hours, very busy
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ontario, ORNovember 12, 2018
I worked long hours more as a volunteer with no pay or benefits. They provided a time for me to go to school and continue working. This allowed me to develope some overall skills to apply in future endevors
Pros
Met lots of people, created some good contacts
Cons
Benefits / Pay
Excellant job opportunity.
Mental Health Technical Technician (Former Employee) –  OregonNovember 12, 2018
I was hired in a temporary position and very much wanted to work for the State of Oregon as a full time employee. Unfortunately that didn't happen. As stated Temporary position, though I did try over and over to get a full time position.
I am not requesting advancements with the State of Oregon.
Caregiving (Current Employee) –  Canyonville, ORNovember 9, 2018
Working for the state is okay and it pays well. I'm not sure they always give the amount of hours needed and the way they determine hours needed, I enjking for the state.
Pros
enjoy visiting with client.
Cons
none really.
Coworkers made it a great place to work
Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORNovember 4, 2018
Job was very difficult and often heart breaking. Very knowledgeable staff worked well as a team. Workplace culture was fantastic, like a well oiled machine.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Management sometimes would not listen to us.
Very rewarding work.
Senior caregiver (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, OROctober 22, 2018
Working as a caregiver allows you flexible hours.It is very rewarding to be helpful to someone who is in need of either a little or alot of help with personal health care and household chores .
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
None.
Mail Equipment Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 22, 2018
Running mail equipment, take mail to post office. Management was good to work for. Workplace culture was good. Hardest part was keeping busy during a slow day. Best part were the coworkers.
Great People.. To Much Office politics
State Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 19, 2018
Typical day consisted of sitting in a cubicle and working through emails and contract development. There was a lot of office politics and people who would rather talk about nothing than doing anything.
Pros
Service and mission oriented
Cons
Office Politics
Great Place
Field Sales and Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Medford, OROctober 15, 2018
I got work life balance. A great boss that believed in me and my ability to do the job. Everyone was like family and worked together. They were always looking for ways to improve what we do. I loved working for the Oregon Lottery!
Work day
Home Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 1, 2018
Do the best I can.
Lots of appointments
Work at home
Management helpful
Hardest part,hospital trips,pharmacy
Most enjoyable is helping patient achieve
There goals in life.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Stressful job at times
A good place to work
Social Service Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Child Welfare Hotline Multnomah CoSeptember 26, 2018
If you enjoy helping people and can contend with a tremendous amount of paperwork, working in public child welfare is rewarding on many levels. People who succeed in this work must be willing to devote all of their time - on and off the clock - to helping struggling families and children.
Pros
Rewarding and every day brings something new
Cons
Paperwork and meetings are a big part of the work