State of Rhode Island Employee Reviews

promotions/transfer avaliability
Senior Revenue Agent (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 14, 2018
Within the state of Ri I had a hard time getting promoted or transferring to other departments because they would usually promote as political favors or favors for friends.
State of Rhode Island
Database Engineer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 5, 2018
I was responsible for production control - 24/7 running of the production environment interfaces and transfers. And I worked with windows servers 2008 and on (configuring, adjusting and executing). I also, was responsible for off the shell products for file transfer (SMPP, STP) and mainframe movement. I also scheduled jobs and navigate infrastructure. And secure
File transfer. Also, production control , mainframe and batch processing, JCL job control language. And Production control – mainframe and batch processing, JCL job control language Server administration. Also Red hat Linux support and Administration .
Pros
Sometimes free lunches with meetings
Cons
Had to work Hard it was't alway fun and games
Overall
Rhode Island (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandJuly 19, 2018
Consistent pay for the past 24 years with health coverage, vacation time, sick time, personal time, and flexible when it comes to having to take time off when my son is sick and has no school due to snow days etc.
Some benefits, high turnover in senior management.
withheld (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 1, 2018
Meetings meetings and more meetings. If you have one of the good guys as a supervisor, a flexible work schedule is possible. No TDI, so if you get injured (car wreck, etc), you will expend your sick time.
Productive work place
Personnel Analyst (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 11, 2018
Professional, hard working individuals, trying to serve the people of Rhode Island in the most professional, ethical way. The Professional staff are always on hand to help, and promote.
good place to work
Clerk/ Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 30, 2018
good place to work if you can get in that is.
seems that the old timers have it on lockdown. if you do not know anyone on the inside you will not get in.
Pros
good internship for someone in college
Cons
the hiring process is too complicated
Excellent
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 31, 2018
this is a place where you can meet a lot of people and learn many things. I am very great full for the State of Rhode Island. I am looking for another job because I need to pay my bills and I need more money.
Pros
confortable
Cons
salary
Horrible place
Bridge maintenance (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIJanuary 17, 2018
Management at this place is completely racist you have to choose between minorities and Americans when it comes to snow plowing you're out there two to three days without proper rest or taking showers and just to make a decent living you have to Jackhammer overnight or chip and then go about your day for the next 14 to 15 hours stay away you've been warned
Great work environment
Admin Asst/Clerk Stenographer (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIJanuary 4, 2018
Worked in Dept of BHDDH - primarily Behavioral Health (BH - mental health and substance abuse), PASRR - transitioning patients from hospitals to nursing/rehab facilities
Pros
Close to home for few years
Cons
Commute Too long latter years
State & Quasi State
Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 3, 2018
Overall I've had a good experience working for the State. If you work hard and are capable there are many avenues to advancement. The culture can be difficult but it has definitely changed over the years I've been working for the State.
Pros
security
Cons
work conditions, politic, difficult to get rid of unproductive or toxic employees
Productive and Relaxed place
Office of Gina Raimondo Constituent Affairs (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 26, 2017
What i learned at my internship is to always be patient with constituents and hear them out.
The culture was very relaxed, welcoming, and political
The hardest part of my internship was figuring out all the state agencies
The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help constituents with their issues
Community living aid (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandNovember 1, 2017
I enjoyed my many years working for the state in a group home setting. I most enjoyed working with the residents for the mentaly challenged it was rewarding.
Productive and fun workplace
Internship (Current Employee) –  Cranston, RIOctober 12, 2017
Great company to work for every knows how to have a good time and when to be serious and get the job done. I learned so much working here and would stay here for the rest of my life if I could.
Pros
relaxed workplace
Cons
not alot of hours per week
Goverment job in corrupt state
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RISeptember 11, 2017
Getting hired usually requires months and includes passing a civil service examination for position.
Advancement is usually extremely slow and there is no compensation for individual effort or achievement.
Pros
Generally secure employment; good benefits
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities; no monetary reward for individual effort or achievement
Great environment
Minority Business Enterprise Compliance Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 22, 2017
Great working with the small business minority team. Learned a lot about different guidelines that mist be adhered to in order to receive grant from state,
Job/Life Balance
Chief Revenue Agent (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 20, 2017
Any state/gov't job is underpaid but it is the family life that makes it worth it. The people are good to work with and many have the same goals of serving the taxpayers of RI.
exciting place to work
Employment and Training Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 20, 2017
Front row view of how government is run. I learned a lot about the legislative process. I worked for an elected official and when the leadership changed the entire office staff changed.
Pros
worked in Rhode Island State House
Cons
When leadership changes you lose your job
At the time I was there the Moral was terrible.
Receptionist Secretary (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 7, 2017
At the time I was there the atmosphere was not what I would say a nice place to work. My job as a receptionist was screening the calls that would come in for the Director. In which I felt very uncomfortable, because he would not take most of the calls therefore I had to lie and make something up.
Dem
Office Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RI 02908June 4, 2017
Even though it wasn't a compensated job, I enjoyed the tasks that was asked of me. I felt like I had some purpose in my life. I learned alot in the short-time that I was there.
Pros
Freedom to make own decisions
Cons
Uncompensated
Work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burrillville, RIJune 2, 2017
Working their gave me a broader view on how sick people can really become mentally and physically. It allowed me to open my eyes to the many different aspects of healthcare on a broader spectrum.