State of South Carolina Employee Reviews

When allowed to do job it was fun
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Columbia, ScOctober 24, 2018
Too many people mirco managing what we were called to do, not knowing anything about our job. Leaders who had no knowledge of what a Chaplain's role is attempted to tell us how to do our job.
Pros
Enjoyed helping others
Cons
Mirco-managing
Work place
Chaplain clerk (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaOctober 22, 2018
Double working in the state of South Carolina is very hectic and can be very fast-paced I learned a lot working for the state the management was bad::
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Low pay
If you want an lazy job that's not at all fulfilling then go ahead
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 4, 2018
The management is lazy and no one cares about actually taking care of the customers/students. It's all about doing the minimum expectation for payment and even then, management doesn't do that. Some managers are great and do go above and beyond but its a toxic culture that cannot be fixed by a few good people. Everyone is just going through the motions to finish their 20+ years and then retiring so there is hardly ever any movement for advancement since no one leaves. If you want a lazy work culture that pays garbage but gets you to retirement, then this place is it, but for people with actual ambition to grow in the field of higher education or management, stay far away!
Pros
Lax schedule, paid time-off
Cons
poor management, lazy work environment, poor salary, too much to list it all
Work , Work, Work: Hours 50-70 per week, No Days off some weeks
Nutritionist IV DHEC (Former Employee) –  SCOctober 4, 2018
. The Culture is work, work, work!!!! Position budgeted for 37.5 hours per week....and often work 60-70 hours per week...some weeks no days off. Job Description states 3 nights per week away from home, some weekends, and some extended hours. The requirement is typically 5-6 nights away from home and count on 6-7 day work weeks that run right into the next week without a break at all. Working late nights sometimes until midnight and then driving home after a 15 hour work day. When you finish work...you drive home and work on weekends to complete required "paperwork." Very high stress work environment with limited support from management team. There is no support of quality of life...only instructions are work, work, work.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Long work hours, work days and work weeks. High Stress environment.
low work morale
Postal courier (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 3, 2018
No employee recognition. Management do not take employees input into recognition. Sometimes there is no training on routes before they throw you out there to run it.
Toxic leadership and overall poisonous environment
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 3, 2018
They don’t offer a livable wage to most of their employees. Work environment was toxic, “leadership” was toxic. Priorities are solely based on profits and they view staff as expendable.
Pros
None. Not a single one.
Cons
Toxic work environment, management is unqualified, you are constantly reminded that you are expendable and of very little value to management...
Relaxing night
Human Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCSeptember 2, 2018
Very laid back job until the am when the residents started getting up. You must be a people person to help others that can't help them self.
Learning to be very humble in most situations is a good thing. Showing compassions and empathy is a good part of the job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
some times long hours
Good ole boy system at Trident Public Safety
Officer (Former Employee) –  Trident, SCAugust 25, 2018
If you plan on working in public safety with Trident Technical College, don't plan on advancing in the job unless you are buddies with management. I have seen Officers with 30+ years experience passed over for officers fresh out the Academy to become supervisors. Multiple times. All because higher management follows the "Good Ole Boy" philosophy. Trust me when i say walk away from this.
Terrible Supervisor
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCAugust 16, 2018
I have previously work for different state agencies this particular agency Guardian Ad Litem was by far the worse state agency I have worked for. It particularly lack good management and overall was a high stressful job. I personally feel that the amount of stress and the salary did not match.
Funding is of concern for SCDC success
Intensive Supervision Officer (Current Employee) –  SC LowcountryJuly 24, 2018
Great individuals currently employed with SCDC, yet management & low funding has created problems with proper functions. The recement media evaluations and litigations will hopefully create better functioning of the system
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Low pay / poor benefits
horrible place to work, horrible management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2018
management is horrible, hires and plays favorites to who he wants hired, no leadership at all,acts like it is military here instead of scdot.
Hires family and lets them do nothing all day long and doesn't say a word about it.
Pros
time off
Cons
bad management and poor leadership from RME
Great place to start
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 8, 2018
I work for a University- therefore I can only speak to the culture of the university. Being new to the state, the university was a great starting place. I work for a lovely department with great people.
run
Human Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 6, 2018
very stressful environment
no training , no resources even, but continue to assign task.
groups, high caseload, on call,assessments.
run as fast as you can....nobody stays.
Cons
safety, low staff morale, low pay too many demands
Poor Management
Administrative Team Support (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJuly 5, 2018
Management hires friends and plays favorites. Management creates drama and is always out to get someone fired or written up for petty things. If you like drama then the State of SC is for you.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Basically Told I'm a Dummy
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, South CarolinaJune 23, 2018
I admit I couldn't grasp some of the procedures, but the management and directions given were so insane I'm still surprised I was able to complete any task I had. My team and I were basically brow beaten and told we were dumb every hour on a daily basis. It was not at all the position I was interviewed for.
A horrible place to work in Florence County
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJune 19, 2018
I hated working here. The manager was extremely gullible and it seemed like we were still in high school even though she was over 50. She let the lead coordinator bully her into doing what she wanted her to do. I was glad to leave and collect my unemployment!! They work you like a slave for no money!
Cons
No lunch break
beware- poor management
Qualified Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Kershaw, SCJune 5, 2018
This place has the worst management I have ever experienced. Management in my department, at my institution, and at Colombia are gravely out of sync. No one seems to know what they're doing. There is absolutely no training. Everyone you ask gives you a different response. The inmates see this and take advantage of it and run the prison. I don't know how this place is allowed to be open or how the government hasn't taken over. They are short staffed for a reason. I would encourage them to take a look as to why they can't keep good employees and make some changes starting from the top.
Pros
good health insurance
Cons
poor management, poor workplace culture
intense environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 31, 2018
had to carry large workload, but had good support from management. it was a very stressful job. frequent ongoing training to meet everchanging regluations.
benefits
Cons
workload
Management Review
Program Manager / Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 16, 2018
A typical day at work: busy
What you learned: a lot
Management: Top-Down and Down-Up Management
Workplace Culture: Varies
more resources required now
Eligibility worker
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 7, 2018
Management is bad sits in the office don’t help staff with cases or interviews. All they do is email these cases to the worker. No help just over work.