State of South Carolina
Happiness rating is 56 out of 100

State of South Carolina Employee Reviews

You’ll get great benefits and stability (it’s hard to file a state employee who’s no longer probationary), but your environment will totally depend on agency and department. The good thing is it’s easy to move around between agencies once you become a state employee. Pay is subpar, and you have to move around to get good raises most of the time.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
I love the way they take time out to make sure that the consumer are taking care of and that the staff always shows love the consumer. I love when they go the extract mile....too make sure that a smile is always on the consumers face
This was the worst must unorganized organization that you can work for. The money was horrible fit for a newly graduated college student who wants to gain some experience. I would not recommend anyone to work for the State there is no room for advancement. You have to know someone to get a promotion.
Great benefits and culture. People, job security, management, customers, doing good work for the State. Opportunity, never a dull moment, engaging, and energetic
Pros
work life balance
Cons
pay could be more competitive
The job is okay but the pay could be alot better and they make you pay into your retirement and you dont know how much they will take out every pay period. Not alot of growth it's a stepping stone job.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Pay, advancement
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Working for the State of South Carolina has its pros and cons. Pros is that it’s flexible with scheduling, management is willing to accommodate your schedule at any given time, the benefits (Leave Time TBA) Cons: There’s no room for growth, no raises, it’s like once you get in one position you’re stuck. Management always recruits external and look directly over you (a perfect candidate with good inside division experience) and they force you to pay into your retirement!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay, Benefits, No room for growth
Poor orientation process. Upper management more concerned with climbing the ladder. More like you rub my back and I’ll rub yours. Other employees don’t pull their load.
Pros
You get all holidays off
Cons
Poor management
Team atmosphere with opportunities to learn and succeed. The management team is open and available to provide guidance and support. The work is challenging and rewarding.
Pros
Leadership cares about their team members and know that if we succeed that they do too!
It's 2020 and we are only being paid $27,527/year, most workers have PT jobs to make ends meet. Policies are constantly changing and supervisors/executives expect employees to process Medicaid applications with zero mistakes. Director is very sarcastic and rude and does nothing to increase morale within the agency. New performance evaluation system is unfair and expects employees to sit and work for 8 hrs straight. Only pro is that your coworkers will become somewhat like family, depending on which county you work in.
The workplace culture is very toxic and dysfunctional with an unbelievable turn over that was over 100% in some departments. Management is full of the "old boy" network and favorites who kowtow to management. The most enjoyable part of the job was the potential to help fellow South Carolinians. This potential was never realized partly due to a bureaucracy that prevents one from helping the constituents. There is an old adage that bureaucracies self destruction, well this is a shining example of one.
Pros
Competitive Salary
Cons
Infighting, workplace bullying, low morale, and retaliatory job loss
There are many jobs that will value you, your time and safety. DJJ is NOT one! The pay is disturbing considering the environment in which you work. They care nothing about the corrections officers or any staff at that matter. It is a dirty game of dirty politics, lack of communication, constantly having to stay over, favoritism. Just don't apply, honestly its a joke
Pros
Not a darn thing
Cons
the trash money they try to pay you
This is my first job in a correctional environment and I have learned a lot. I have had to throw most of my compassion for people out the door because any time your too nice, you will be assumed to be having inmate/staff relationships. You can’t be to helpful, because your assumed to be having inmate/staff relationships. There is a lot of that, that goes on but being helpful should not be looked at that way. My job keeps me busy when we weren’t in this pandemic. And I get along just fine with the people I work around. I have support from my manager and other administrative staff, we all work well together. If you follow policy, you will do just fine at SCDC.
Pros
Good learning experience, good management, benefits
Cons
Pay, can’t go out to lunch, down time
Dept of mental health is not an inclusive environment. Managers play favorites. They hire friends and treat other staff badly. If you don't kiss up, you aren't liked. There are never any pay raises working for the state. No cost of living increases. They cut our one hour lunch down to a half hour because they were losing revenu due to COVID. They forced us to use leave time in order to social distance at beginning of covid. Then reversed their decision and created and back dated a policy to justify not giving back our leave time. Morale is low because they take away more than give back to loyal workers. Toxic working environment. Executive management needs to be fired and the state needs to start over.
Pros
Cons
Too numerous to list
Most days are laid back, you have three county's that have building that you are in charge of four building in total that you drive to. The director of the centers is a very nice guy to work for.. You do have trouble getting supply's to get all your work done sometimes.
Pros
The people that you work with
Cons
a lot of work
Pretty toxic work environment. No room for advancement. Higher ups over the clinic aspect have NO idea what’s really going on in clinics. Have never worked as a health care provider. All about numbers, very understaffed and they do not care about you getting burned out. High turnover rate. Pay sucks. Hours are good for people with families. Good AL and SL. Insurance isn’t that great and neither is retirement though.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Understaffed, management doesn’t care, never around, constant travelling, hurricane shelters with no bonuses, No raises
Beware regarding call. Be sure to ask how much and how holiday call is rotated or not. Training is horrible. If you make a mistake, the one that notices your mistake will share with your co-workers before you are aware and this happens during training as well.
Pros
retirement
Cons
call, training, work load
Favoritism is high and morale is low...everywhere. Management needs a complete overhaul, as company politics seem to be the only concern. Turnover is unbelievable and promotions are granted based off of who you know, not what you know. Pay is low considering the stress one will endure while employed here. The chances of getting an increase in salary is very low. Yearly performance reviews are a joke, meaning you will not advance unless you kiss up or unless you know someone higher up. This is a very toxic and stressful environment. Management has allowed supervisors to dictate instead of lead. Training for non-uniformed personnel is a disaster and is not held in a consistent manner. It is a very sink or swim environment immediately upon entering any division. There is also the impression of: if you are "too good" at what you do, you will be targeted in some way. The agency, as a whole, doesn't seem to be interested in improving, but staying complacent with having a very unhealthy work culture. Very disappointing place to work.
Pros
Learning how to see through toxic people
Cons
Toxic environment, mainly from upper management
Company as a whole needs some serious work.I’m still in disbelief that any state job is paying grown people less than $28,000 a year for any position now I know why almost everyone on campus is working two jobs you can’t afford a simple lifestyle with that one job. Favoritism is High as well as achieving higher positions unless you know someone. I happened to had enjoyed helping others to be that concern about company Politics.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Salary
Agency turnover was high and staff morale low. Management allowed ineffective leaders to remain in a supervisor roles and promoted unqualified persons.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Hostile work environment
I feel that I help the residents of SC. The pay is weak for the amount of information that must be absorbed to complete the tasks. Off on weekends and holidays is a big plus.
Multiple shift opportunities, good benefits, valuable education assistance. Career opportunities. Yearly paid vacation and sick leave. Annual paid training. Promotion.