State of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Toxic leadership and overall poisonous environment
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 3, 2018
They don’t offer a livable wage to most of their employees. Work environment was toxic, “leadership” was toxic. Priorities are solely based on profits and they view staff as expendable.
Pros
None. Not a single one.
Cons
Toxic work environment, management is unqualified, you are constantly reminded that you are expendable and of very little value to management...
Relaxing night
Human Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCSeptember 2, 2018
Very laid back job until the am when the residents started getting up. You must be a people person to help others that can't help them self.
Learning to be very humble in most situations is a good thing. Showing compassions and empathy is a good part of the job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
some times long hours
Good ole boy system at Trident Public Safety
Officer (Former Employee) –  Trident, SCAugust 25, 2018
If you plan on working in public safety with Trident Technical College, don't plan on advancing in the job unless you are buddies with management. I have seen Officers with 30+ years experience passed over for officers fresh out the Academy to become supervisors. Multiple times. All because higher management follows the "Good Ole Boy" philosophy. Trust me when i say walk away from this.
Terrible Supervisor
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCAugust 16, 2018
I have previously work for different state agencies this particular agency Guardian Ad Litem was by far the worse state agency I have worked for. It particularly lack good management and overall was a high stressful job. I personally feel that the amount of stress and the salary did not match.
Funding is of concern for SCDC success
Intensive Supervision Officer (Current Employee) –  SC LowcountryJuly 24, 2018
Great individuals currently employed with SCDC, yet management & low funding has created problems with proper functions. The recement media evaluations and litigations will hopefully create better functioning of the system
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Low pay / poor benefits
horrible place to work, horrible management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2018
management is horrible, hires and plays favorites to who he wants hired, no leadership at all,acts like it is military here instead of scdot.
Hires family and lets them do nothing all day long and doesn't say a word about it.
Pros
time off
Cons
bad management and poor leadership from RME
Great place to start
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 8, 2018
I work for a University- therefore I can only speak to the culture of the university. Being new to the state, the university was a great starting place. I work for a lovely department with great people.
run
Human Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 6, 2018
very stressful environment
no training , no resources even, but continue to assign task.
groups, high caseload, on call,assessments.
run as fast as you can....nobody stays.
Cons
safety, low staff morale, low pay too many demands
Poor Management
Administrative Team Support (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJuly 5, 2018
Management hires friends and plays favorites. Management creates drama and is always out to get someone fired or written up for petty things. If you like drama then the State of SC is for you.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Basically Told I'm a Dummy
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, South CarolinaJune 23, 2018
I admit I couldn't grasp some of the procedures, but the management and directions given were so insane I'm still surprised I was able to complete any task I had. My team and I were basically brow beaten and told we were dumb every hour on a daily basis. It was not at all the position I was interviewed for.
A horrible place to work in Florence County
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJune 19, 2018
I hated working here. The manager was extremely gullible and it seemed like we were still in high school even though she was over 50. She let the lead coordinator bully her into doing what she wanted her to do. I was glad to leave and collect my unemployment!! They work you like a slave for no money!
Cons
No lunch break
beware- poor management
Qualified Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Kershaw, SCJune 5, 2018
This place has the worst management I have ever experienced. Management in my department, at my institution, and at Colombia are gravely out of sync. No one seems to know what they're doing. There is absolutely no training. Everyone you ask gives you a different response. The inmates see this and take advantage of it and run the prison. I don't know how this place is allowed to be open or how the government hasn't taken over. They are short staffed for a reason. I would encourage them to take a look as to why they can't keep good employees and make some changes starting from the top.
Pros
good health insurance
Cons
poor management, poor workplace culture
intense environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 31, 2018
had to carry large workload, but had good support from management. it was a very stressful job. frequent ongoing training to meet everchanging regluations.
benefits
Cons
workload
Management Review
Program Manager / Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 16, 2018
A typical day at work: busy
What you learned: a lot
Management: Top-Down and Down-Up Management
Workplace Culture: Varies
more resources required now
Eligibility worker
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 7, 2018
Management is bad sits in the office don’t help staff with cases or interviews. All they do is email these cases to the worker. No help just over work.
Serving as a State House Representative was an extremely rewarding career
State House Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 19, 2018
Working for the state of SC was extremely rewarding. Serving my constituents was the best part of my job. The hardest part of the job was not being able to pass laws that would help the people of SC.
Run do not go to work for LLR. That is a hateful miserable place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 12, 2018
A miserable place to work. People are cut throat and management is poor. They will fire you in a skinny minute over lues or anything else. Run run run
poor work-life balance
Brickmason Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 5, 2018
poor compensation for work performed; poor work-life balance; overall not a great experience. Looking for a better opportunity to apply my skillset where I am compensated and valued fairly.
A whole new experince
Landscaping Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pelzer, SCMarch 5, 2018
Used just about all landscaping tools and equipment. Have worked in rough terrain and thickets. I did however enjoy working and being outdoors. Now that I think further about it I kind of enjoyed it.
Pros
Fresh air, and being outdoors.
Cons
Having to put up with critters
Good Job
HumanService Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 12, 2018
The job is great if you like helping elevate a person's life skill. The great thing is having flexibility when needing to be off. Not much hassle. You have to have tough skin and not take things personal. Not everyone will be happy with the outcome,.
Pros
Flexibilty when needing days off
Cons
Pay