State of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Rewarding administrative career
Secretary to the director of property management (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 17, 2019
I started working for state government right out of high school. During my 12 years in state government, I worked for the State Fire Marshal's Office and the Office of General Services where I worked for four assistant attorneys general.
typical work day
Private Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Lugoff, SCDecember 31, 2018
paid on time, listened when there were issues. home visits were quick and thorough. the case workers worked hard to obtain the things that were needed for caregiving
If you value your peace if mind....run the other way.
Medical (Current Employee) –  DJJDecember 20, 2018
Upper management were clueless as to what the workers are going through. Military mindset with no compassion for people. Only want to make a name for themselves. The stress is visible in staff relations. Conditions have disintegrated greatly.
Pros
Benefits, flexibility
Cons
Everything else
Good starting point for experience
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cherokee County, SCDecember 7, 2018
Good for those in counseling who want to build a diverse background for future experience. Not somewhere you would want to stay long term. Very stressful.
Great job
Assistant Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 29, 2018
Greqat atmosphere, I only left because I am not just a sit inside person and it was a desk job which I knew that it will be but I was trying something out different.
Good Place to work to enhance training,
Human Services Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 19, 2018
A lot of on-call and inconsistent workers. I learned how to work with adults with Autism. the workplace culture is awesome. Very good people to work with. Good Teamwork.
Pros
Great Training and Benefits
Cons
Too much on-call
Low Pay
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lugoff, SCNovember 12, 2018
Teacher for South Carolina Public Schools/Kershaw County. I currently make 37,000 per year and get very little support from the state and the county I work in. As a teacher, I have access to very few resources and the demands of the job continue to increase with very little increase in pay.
Pros
schedule
Cons
pay
When allowed to do job it was fun
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Columbia, ScOctober 24, 2018
Too many people mirco managing what we were called to do, not knowing anything about our job. Leaders who had no knowledge of what a Chaplain's role is attempted to tell us how to do our job.
Pros
Enjoyed helping others
Cons
Mirco-managing
Work place
Chaplain clerk (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaOctober 22, 2018
Double working in the state of South Carolina is very hectic and can be very fast-paced I learned a lot working for the state the management was bad::
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Low pay
If you want an lazy job that's not at all fulfilling then go ahead
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 4, 2018
The management is lazy and no one cares about actually taking care of the customers/students. It's all about doing the minimum expectation for payment and even then, management doesn't do that. Some managers are great and do go above and beyond but its a toxic culture that cannot be fixed by a few good people. Everyone is just going through the motions to finish their 20+ years and then retiring so there is hardly ever any movement for advancement since no one leaves. If you want a lazy work culture that pays garbage but gets you to retirement, then this place is it, but for people with actual ambition to grow in the field of higher education or management, stay far away!
Pros
Lax schedule, paid time-off
Cons
poor management, lazy work environment, poor salary, too much to list it all
Work , Work, Work: Hours 50-70 per week, No Days off some weeks
Nutritionist IV DHEC (Former Employee) –  SCOctober 4, 2018
. The Culture is work, work, work!!!! Position budgeted for 37.5 hours per week....and often work 60-70 hours per week...some weeks no days off. Job Description states 3 nights per week away from home, some weekends, and some extended hours. The requirement is typically 5-6 nights away from home and count on 6-7 day work weeks that run right into the next week without a break at all. Working late nights sometimes until midnight and then driving home after a 15 hour work day. When you finish work...you drive home and work on weekends to complete required "paperwork." Very high stress work environment with limited support from management team. There is no support of quality of life...only instructions are work, work, work.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Long work hours, work days and work weeks. High Stress environment.
low work morale
Postal courier (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 3, 2018
No employee recognition. Management do not take employees input into recognition. Sometimes there is no training on routes before they throw you out there to run it.
Toxic leadership and overall poisonous environment
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 3, 2018
They don’t offer a livable wage to most of their employees. Work environment was toxic, “leadership” was toxic. Priorities are solely based on profits and they view staff as expendable.
Pros
None. Not a single one.
Cons
Toxic work environment, management is unqualified, you are constantly reminded that you are expendable and of very little value to management...
Relaxing night
Human Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCSeptember 2, 2018
Very laid back job until the am when the residents started getting up. You must be a people person to help others that can't help them self.
Learning to be very humble in most situations is a good thing. Showing compassions and empathy is a good part of the job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
some times long hours
Good ole boy system at Trident Public Safety
Officer (Former Employee) –  Trident, SCAugust 25, 2018
If you plan on working in public safety with Trident Technical College, don't plan on advancing in the job unless you are buddies with management. I have seen Officers with 30+ years experience passed over for officers fresh out the Academy to become supervisors. Multiple times. All because higher management follows the "Good Ole Boy" philosophy. Trust me when i say walk away from this.
Terrible Supervisor
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCAugust 16, 2018
I have previously work for different state agencies this particular agency Guardian Ad Litem was by far the worse state agency I have worked for. It particularly lack good management and overall was a high stressful job. I personally feel that the amount of stress and the salary did not match.
horrible place to work, horrible management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2018
management is horrible, hires and plays favorites to who he wants hired, no leadership at all,acts like it is military here instead of scdot.
Hires family and lets them do nothing all day long and doesn't say a word about it.
Pros
time off
Cons
bad management and poor leadership from RME
Great place to start
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 8, 2018
I work for a University- therefore I can only speak to the culture of the university. Being new to the state, the university was a great starting place. I work for a lovely department with great people.
run
Human Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 6, 2018
very stressful environment
no training , no resources even, but continue to assign task.
groups, high caseload, on call,assessments.
run as fast as you can....nobody stays.
Cons
safety, low staff morale, low pay too many demands
Poor Management
Administrative Team Support (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJuly 5, 2018
Management hires friends and plays favorites. Management creates drama and is always out to get someone fired or written up for petty things. If you like drama then the State of SC is for you.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management