State of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Funding is of concern for SCDC success
Intensive Supervision Officer (Current Employee) –  SC LowcountryJuly 24, 2018
Great individuals currently employed with SCDC, yet management & low funding has created problems with proper functions. The recement media evaluations and litigations will hopefully create better functioning of the system
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Low pay / poor benefits
horrible place to work, horrible management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2018
management is horrible, hires and plays favorites to who he wants hired, no leadership at all,acts like it is military here instead of scdot.
Hires family and lets them do nothing all day long and doesn't say a word about it.
Pros
time off
Cons
bad management and poor leadership from RME
Great place to start
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 8, 2018
I work for a University- therefore I can only speak to the culture of the university. Being new to the state, the university was a great starting place. I work for a lovely department with great people.
run
Human Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 6, 2018
very stressful environment
no training , no resources even, but continue to assign task.
groups, high caseload, on call,assessments.
run as fast as you can....nobody stays.
Cons
safety, low staff morale, low pay too many demands
Poor Management
Administrative Team Support (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCJuly 5, 2018
Management hires friends and plays favorites. Management creates drama and is always out to get someone fired or written up for petty things. If you like drama then the State of SC is for you.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Basically Told I'm a Dummy
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, South CarolinaJune 23, 2018
I admit I couldn't grasp some of the procedures, but the management and directions given were so insane I'm still surprised I was able to complete any task I had. My team and I were basically brow beaten and told we were dumb every hour on a daily basis. It was not at all the position I was interviewed for.
A horrible place to work in Florence County
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJune 19, 2018
I hated working here. The manager was extremely gullible and it seemed like we were still in high school even though she was over 50. She let the lead coordinator bully her into doing what she wanted her to do. I was glad to leave and collect my unemployment!! They work you like a slave for no money!
Cons
No lunch break
beware- poor management
Qualified Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Kershaw, SCJune 5, 2018
This place has the worst management I have ever experienced. Management in my department, at my institution, and at Colombia are gravely out of sync. No one seems to know what they're doing. There is absolutely no training. Everyone you ask gives you a different response. The inmates see this and take advantage of it and run the prison. I don't know how this place is allowed to be open or how the government hasn't taken over. They are short staffed for a reason. I would encourage them to take a look as to why they can't keep good employees and make some changes starting from the top.
Pros
good health insurance
Cons
poor management, poor workplace culture
intense environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 31, 2018
had to carry large workload, but had good support from management. it was a very stressful job. frequent ongoing training to meet everchanging regluations.
benefits
Cons
workload
Management Review
Program Manager / Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 16, 2018
A typical day at work: busy
What you learned: a lot
Management: Top-Down and Down-Up Management
Workplace Culture: Varies
more resources required now
Eligibility worker
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 7, 2018
Management is bad sits in the office don’t help staff with cases or interviews. All they do is email these cases to the worker. No help just over work.
Serving as a State House Representative was an extremely rewarding career
State House Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 19, 2018
Working for the state of SC was extremely rewarding. Serving my constituents was the best part of my job. The hardest part of the job was not being able to pass laws that would help the people of SC.
Run do not go to work for LLR. That is a hateful miserable place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 12, 2018
A miserable place to work. People are cut throat and management is poor. They will fire you in a skinny minute over lues or anything else. Run run run
poor work-life balance
Brickmason Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 5, 2018
poor compensation for work performed; poor work-life balance; overall not a great experience. Looking for a better opportunity to apply my skillset where I am compensated and valued fairly.
A whole new experince
Landscaping Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pelzer, SCMarch 5, 2018
Used just about all landscaping tools and equipment. Have worked in rough terrain and thickets. I did however enjoy working and being outdoors. Now that I think further about it I kind of enjoyed it.
Pros
Fresh air, and being outdoors.
Cons
Having to put up with critters
Good Job
HumanService Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 12, 2018
The job is great if you like helping elevate a person's life skill. The great thing is having flexibility when needing to be off. Not much hassle. You have to have tough skin and not take things personal. Not everyone will be happy with the outcome,.
Pros
Flexibilty when needing days off
Cons
Pay
Not Recommended
SC State Museum Building Services (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 6, 2018
This job was temp part time. After 3 tears still not promoted. They wouldnt even consider me for management position after years of dedicared service.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
No room for advancement
Corruption rules. Management should be doing time.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, SCFebruary 1, 2018
Did everything I learned at the academy. I was the officer that always showed up on time, looking sharp, well educated. I did a great job, and by doing so making others looking bad (this cost me my job). They changed the reason for terminating me because their lie proved to be just that. The second reason for my termination is so ridiculous, when the interviewing parties ask for it, they always laugh in disbelief. Now the former employer claims that I resigned (the lying never stops). What can you say about an organization that corrupt and calculating. This is SCDC at its finest.
Pros
Easy job and decent pay.
Cons
Corrupt management.
Needs to improve better wages and more diversity!!
Patrick B Harris Phychiatric Hospital (Current Employee) –  Anderson, SCJanuary 22, 2018
My day is pretty good day I cant complain. but we as employee need better wages it ridiculous the pay has to get better that why everyone leaves. they need to get rid of a lot of people that been here for year cause the mindset and the atmosphere feels like the 60's. We need more diversity in the workplace.
Benefits
Cons
Wages
Not good management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  SCJanuary 18, 2018
Stressful, low pay. Management does not stand behind you. Some treated well that didn't do their job, others who work hard not treated fairly. Make any mistakes and watch out!!!!
Pros
Hour lunch break
Cons
Too many to list