State of South Carolina

State of South Carolina Employee Reviews

United States149 reviews
Good experience
As a First Responder with the Fire department the experience truly enriched my personal growth in life. I have been blessed to have the opportunity to serve my community and help others.
Enjoy the work, pay is average at best
I feel that I help the residents of SC. The pay is weak for the amount of information that must be absorbed to complete the tasks. Off on weekends and holidays is a big plus.
Benefits
Multiple shift opportunities, good benefits, valuable education assistance. Career opportunities. Yearly paid vacation and sick leave. Annual paid training. Promotion.
Overall good experience
Working for the state of sc was a very gratifying experience. There were many opportunities. The people were easy to get along with and they took the time to train me and gave me several opportunities for advancement.
Run don’t walk
Working for the state isn’t all that great except for 13 paid holidays but decent insurance but in an office it’s ran by a narcissists and discriminates against whites plays favorites and don’t want you to move up instead bullies and makes you feel worthless
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Don’t do it!’n
I worked for the SDHHS for almost 5yrs. You are always being timed on your case, and if you get a case that can’t be worked fast enough, you will have a supervisor asking what is taking you so long. I never received a pay increase, unless my insurance went up, and then you may receive a pay increase. This job pays poor and has a lot of stress. Not worth it!
Great Place to work
Great environment and wonderful team members. Definitely would return to work there in a future opportunity came available. Job challenged me and gave me additional IT Skills that can be used going forward.
Productive and fun and happy workplace
The job is productive. I was train on how to follow the rules and how to understand the work policies. I was also trained how to work with the inmates.
Great management
I work for MUSC Employee Health Services as the Nurse Practitioner. Team oriented work environment. Fast paced, low stress work environment. Great management.
i rather not give a review summary.
The only respectable staff member there was MY supervisor. Her dedication was above and beyond the call of her job description and obligation to her students and assistants.
She was the exception.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at State of South Carolina?
Great job, wonderful employee
Enjoyed the job. Many hours were put into the job. Culture was very empowering. Not much room for advancement. Many hours were dedicated to travel. I did learn a lot on the job.
Pros
Free lunch and transportation
Cons
Many hours
Not a productive nor fun place to work
It's important to be on time and to clock in immediately upon arrival. I enjoyed meeting a lot of really nice people, but the majority of the supervisors were there for the money only - not for the good of the state.
It was a job that helped pass the time.
Helped pass the time and helped me with my dealing with stress. The level of stress on the job was really high. The job overall was nice and easygoing.
Beware not a good place to work. Moldy environment unhealthy, if you try to improve things the management will do everything to get rid of you.
Warning do not work for them they do not care about their workers especially the ones who have good work ethics. They do not want to improve. They're supposed to care about the health of the environment and they don't even care about the health of their own workers. They will go against your doctor's note and put you in danger. Very bad career move.
Cons
Always understaffed
Not recommended if you have a family/life
Not very understanding supervisors. Very difficult to get time off for important things. Too much stress and drama. Long working hours are hard to do and make time for other things.
Working for the State was a learning experience and I grew from the jobs I was ask to do.
I no longer have nor want the ambition to work for the State again, however it was a learning experience that I will be able to progress in the near future
Pros
Experiences
Cons
No job growth
Not applicable
This is a waste of my time. I'm trying to submit an application for a completely different job and this is requiring me to type 150 characters. Am I there yet?
unorganized and hostile work envirment
one of the most unorganized work environments i have ever work in ever one is out for them self there is no teem work and no one seam to know what the other is doing
Laid back relaxed environment
Excellent work environment working out in field. Great management support, good co-workers, excellent work/life balance. Decent pay no hard work common sense approach
Pros
Flexibility in schedule no weekends or holidays. No take home paperwork
Cons
No accrual of sick leave, or regular leave, short term temporary work due to hurricane relief/activity.
Bad experience due to poor management
This was a nightmare. I constantly lived in fear my job due to an overbearing and borderline insane manager. I tried to due a good job and I think I did in spite of the fact the previous employee was taking bribes for good inspections. The middle managers are a joke. It's every man for himself, forget teamwork and support.
Itrietransfer
Poor Management
Workers including management constantly make fun of the customers. Management shows favoritism and don’t care about the actual health of the patients. Supervisors are shady and will screw your over behind your back.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9