State of Tennessee

State of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Management leaves a lot to be desired.
I enjoyed my work, my-co-workers, and my job in general, but the politicking, favoritism, unprofessional attitudes of the supposed supervisors was just too much.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too much stupidity
Slow paced and lack of management skills
Nothing, especially in the world of IT happens with any speed in State Government. There are too many single points of failure and many long-timers are not willing to try to advance their position. A lot of people spend way too much time working to avoid work. Finally, there is a culture of too much management overhead, lack of decision-making by all these managers, meetings for the sake of having a meeting, and no communication downward from 'management'. We have no idea what is going on.
Overall the state of tennessee job is great
The job i have is great, the supervisors are not so great. The lack of comrodery is a bog issue. Everyone wamts to work for them selves and not as a team.
Typical day at work
I work at home 3 days of the week and go into the office for 2 days. My job consist of Data entry and working cases for insurance., verifying if the clients qualify for coverage.
Pros
Work at home
Poor place to work
It's a good job if you don't have a life outside of work or family. For newer people, it has been harder to get a CDL. Also there is no opportunity to run equipment to get better.
Work was good but poorly managed at times about what needed to be done.
Start work and I worked with child support payments ie refunds, adjustments when needed. Also I was responsible for attending and representing the department in Child support appeals. I worked in the office 2 days and at home for 3 days.
Pros
Work from home 3 days per week
Cons
Poor Management
Adult Basic Education Teacher
Great Pay, Benefits, and Retirement . I love working for the state. Opprotunities are limitless and many crossover opprotunities to increase pay and learning opprotunities.
This is a good opportunity for growth
Working for the state is a good opportunity to start a career. You will learn a lot in a short amount of time but it is rewarding. At times it can seem overwhelming but you will adjust to the work environment.
Pros
working monday through friday
Cons
overload of work
Good Place to work
Working for the State of Tennessee, you have a really nice work/life balance... in my current positions the work that you do does not come home with you. You do not feel like you need to stress about finishing it up. Each day is a new and different challenge.
Production
Production should not be the primary focus when you are trying to help an individual better themselves, family as well as life. Some supervisors can be hard and try to make things hard for you based on how they see you.
The State could be great if the pay was better and they were fair for all their employees.
State of Tennessee is a Government job which you work your butt off for mediocre salaries. The so called great benefits is great depending on what the employees desire to pay for.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
Appreciate working but if you’re not upper management you’re ignored as an employee.
Great Place to work
A work day would be extremely busy or extremely slow. I learned that working for a government entity is entirely different than working for a corporation. The workplace culture is a bit biased. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that I like structure in my life and working gives me that structure.

The department that I worked for was very rewarding. It catered to part of the population that doesn't have a voice.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
DCS Case Manager
There is not a typical work day. One day you can be in court hearings, the next day you are transporting children by yourself 8 hours away. (Hotel is not provided and you are expected to return to your home office immediately after reaching your destination.) You will be expected to answer phone calls from supervisors after-hours (even when you are not on-call). You will be liable to know all of the polices and procedures, but you will not be able to find the time to review the daily policy update emails. If a mistake is made by *anyone* in the department, and the judge discovers it, then it falls on you. You must sit there and take the reprimand for the department, even if you were not involved with what occurred. Many co-workers eat lunch while working because they will fall behind otherwise. Staff members are resigning weekly, so their caseloads are being transferred to the remaining staff. It's a vicious cycle. It is a great resume builder, however there are positions with less liability and similar pay.

The department does not conduct a drug screen on any DCS employee at any time (pre-employment nor random), which is a safety concern.
Pros
Great resume builder
Cons
Limited time given for employees to practice self-care, personal safety concerns (Unable to carry mace, any kind of weapon, even in your vehicle. Cell phone signal is not always available.), employees do not have to complete a drug screen at any time, liability.
Na
I liked the job and doing what I did serving individuals with intellectual developmental disabilities. I enjoyed making a difference in people’s lives and seeing them do things that they never thought they would be able to do.
A friendly atmosphere.
Some managers can be less sensitive to employee advancement than others. Many employees are not given the correct tools to be efficient at their jobs due to the emphasis on budgetary controls.
Pros
Work from home options
Cons
Healthcare premiums have skyrocketed in recent years
Good place to work outside.
Worked outside mostly highway maintenance. Great people to work with. Friendly. Work in all kinds of weather. Snow removal and highway safety. Run all kinds of equipment.
Pros
Full time
Cons
Always on call
Stability
If you are looking for a stable job with excellent benefits and opportunities to move around then working for the State of Tennessee will be a great fit.
Great place to work and great people to work with; would still be there if didn't have a MVA
The time is was there with DCS was probably some of the best times of my career; but also your coworkers become like family because you spend SO much time with them!
Not a bad place to work
Through my 3 years working for the state, I was able to grow to an ASA 2 from an Admin Sec which was nice. Most departments were really helpful and a pleasure to work for, despite a few rough folks here and there. My previous manager was nice to my face then I learned she was a negative reference to potential employers which prevented me from getting jobs. Nothing negative is in my personnel file and even DOHR was stunned of her actions. It's just sad that people who don't do their jobs or manage poorly are able to keep their jobs due to office politics, which I saw in each department I worked for.
Can be enjoyable at times but also dangerous at times.
Being a traveling notary signing agent is all together fun. The not so fun part is, it is getting more dangerous out here in the world. Meeting locations should be made in the public not in the home. I've learned so much about real estate, a other documentations and I really enjoy notarizing and meeting and talking to new people, but going into their homes is the fear of the job.
TNDAGC lacked in some areas.
Good job for a while. Agency says they want employees happy, but act otherwise. Had a few differences of opinion with two directors.

Agency was called out by local media for improper benefits. Replacement employee receives kinder treatment. Glad I returned to private work.
Pros
Benefits, Pto
Cons
Got to be in the clique
Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Tennessee. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight