State of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 16, 2018
Typical work day included pass down from previous shift. Head count, key count, facilitated meal distribution, commissary orders, oversaw recreational time, cell searches, pat searches, showers,
Pros
motivated employees
Previous employment was team oriented, career based
Correctional Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 16, 2018
Work force was team oriented, goals and production driven with quota base. Enjoyed and would like to find employment in the same sector. Focus was to ensure the public is protected.
Loved my fellow employees!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, TNJuly 14, 2018
I enjoyed working for the State of Tennessee but left due to no flexibility in my work schedule. I loved my fellow employees and miss working with them.
Work enviorment
WIC Vendor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 14, 2018
The regional office that I worked at was wonderful. The whole office worked together to accomplish all task in the office. I would highly recommend working for the State of TN.
Probation/Parole Officer II (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2018
Interviewing a client, making sure I assist them with any needs that they have such as employment, risk assessments and drug screens. Discussing fees.
Pros
Helping Others
Cons
Workload
Prosecuting criminal cases is rewarding but good management, rewards, respect,and appreciation are non-existant
Assistant District Attorney General (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJuly 8, 2018
The job I did when working for the State was fulfilling for many years, however, there is often little or no oversight, there are no rules, the working environment is often hostile and little or no appreciation is shown for a job well done. There is no reward systems and almost no constructive guidance. It is a very unhealthy environment. There is little or no team work and workers frequently engage in gossip and back bitting.
Pros
The ability to help victims of society is very rewarding.
Cons
The lack of respect and poor team work create a very stressful work environment.
Positive Atmosphere
Systems Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 5, 2018
Department of Agriculture is a great place to advance and find other interesting avenues for growth. Ag Inputs division is a awesome atmosphere for kind faces and project help.
Good Benefits
Administrative Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 5, 2018
A typical day of work is face pace depending on the time of the month when report are due. I learned at a very young age to work hard and act professional and you will be rewarded. A manager at the State of Tennessee wears many hats.
Pros
Beneftis
Cons
Traffice flow to job
Close and friendly faculty
Math Professor (Current Employee) –  Murphysboro, TNJuly 4, 2018
Close faculty and staff and relaxed teaching atmosphere. The teaching is of high quality and very professional. Students are respectful. There is no on-campus housing, so all students commute.
Loyalty and hard work=self promotion
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNJuly 3, 2018
Being dependable, hard work, loyal to the department and it's goals improving with time on experience and skills I was able to move up to higher paying and titles.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
great benefits but low salary
Medical Records Tech (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 21, 2018
Great benefits but the salary is not competitive and not up to industry standards. The people who research salaries need to consider the rising cost of living. The cost to live in a major city like Nashville is increasing daily, yet we do not receive any increases to accommodate this. The only people in State government that make any money are the people in top positions that make decisions that affect the people who do the work.
benefits
Cons
salary
Decent benefits, bad management
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Clifton, TNJune 20, 2018
It would be an ok place to work if not for management playing favorites, and constantly undervaluing staff. If not related to managers, going to have a hard time getting any sort of promotion or advancement
Pros
Paid twice monthly
Cons
Poor leadership
Productive with breaks from daily tasks
Information Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 7, 2018
It was enjoyable coming to work, I had time in the morning to setup my daily tasks for the day.
I learned to multi-task my job duties and we meet with management once a week to go over any projects that we were working on.
I was macro managed which gave me more time to organize my workflow.
The hardest part of my job was keeping up with the new technology changes on a monthly basis.
I really enjoyed management giving me the opportunity to work at my own pace during my daily tasks, even our special projects were completed in a timely manner with keeping management updated.
Pros
Having breaks for a very demanding job
Cons
occasional changes while daily schedule was set
The job was phenomenal. I really enjoyed & appreciate the opportunity.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 6, 2018
I really appreciate & enjoyed the opportunity to work for The State of Tennessee. The city court cleks office was a very interesting job. There were a lot of perks working in the data entry department. Then I really loved working in customer service to help people with what ever they may have needed at the time.
Pros
Flexible, hour lunch, great networking
Cons
Parking
Very Good place to work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 5, 2018
As a contractor it was a great place to work. I came in as Project Coordinator and quickly my PM realized that my work ethics were unbelievable to where she allowed me to work on my own, host my own meetings, and contact the business as well as the vendor without her consent. I also learned the business analyst side of this project as well.
Schedule appointments, switchboard
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Manchester, TNJune 4, 2018
Helping all customers, answering all incoming phone lines. Very busy days time went by quickly. Always tried to make sure everyone was taken care of.
Best part of job was always having great staff to work with!
pretty good
Consultant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 4, 2018
pretty good if you want to stay in your career but need a slower pace for a little while. It really depends on the person...you should do government work first.
working to ensure the safety of children
Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 31, 2018
Ensuring safety of children and families. Managing a caseload. Creating family permanency plans. Attending court hearings to assist families in ensure permanency
Investigations
Investigator (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMay 28, 2018
There is no work/life balance. The work can be extremely stressful. Some of the supervisors are incompetent and can get you into some big trouble because of it. The expectations are sometimes unrealistic. There are not enough people for what they expect you to do or maintain.

The benefits are wonderful. Everyone works together to help one another out (when possible).
Pros
Benefits, Coworkers, Pto, Sick Leave, Flexible
Cons
Stressful, no work life balance, unrealistic expectations
Stressful yet secure
Psychiatric Technician (Current Employee) –  Bolivar, TNMay 27, 2018
The state of Tennessee is a great company to work for but your voice as a employee is not well represented in the company and the company doesn't let you take care of your personal life over your professional