State of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Worst Job Ever!
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 14, 2018
I have worked for the department of children services as a case manager for 2 1/2 years and in that time I have not learned anything. I was not trained properly, my supervisor is a micromanager and makes the job even more stressful. Upper management does not care about our well being at all yet they preach self care all day. Once I had a removal, I was forced to leave my home at night after working a full shift (was not on call) to sit with a child all night and then go back to work the next day with no sleep at all (I worked a triple shift). I did not get paid overtime, I was told to flex my time even though I signed a paper my first day of work asking for overtime instead of flex time (they just ignored that). They want our case load low yet we are made to do the most unnecessary tasks to close our cases. We are put in dangerous situations going inside peoples houses and all upper management cares about is our numbers for money and funding. I would not recommended this place unless you want to be a modern day slave.
Pros
Aws, Flexibility
Cons
Everything else
Overall OK for some groups,
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNNovember 13, 2018
If your are a single female with no kids I would look elsewhere. No chance of advancement unless you are of the 'good old girl' group meaning a mother and/or married/divorced. If you are this group great place to work for females. Instant promotion after having kids and come and go as you please. Expect plenty of help in getting degrees as well if your in the good old girl group. Spent about 30 years and glad to retire.
Pros
Good for some groups
Cons
Not good for single childless females
Rehabilitation Counselor
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Current Employee) –  KnoxvilleNovember 12, 2018
Help individuals with disabilities gain entry level employment. Nice hours. Good people to work with. Nice to be able to help those that need it to better their life.
I started out as a Clerk 2 and advanced to the level of ASA4
LOAN ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 9, 2018
Very good company with plenty of opportunities for promotion. Training was always available for those who were interested. Many departments within the company so there were a great variety of job opportunities to choose from. People were friendly and I enjoyed working with most everyone in all the different positions I held.
Pros
Leave time and Sick time accrued separately
Cons
Could be stressful at times
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNNovember 8, 2018
Great people good place to work not a lot of room for advancement but laid back environment sometimes stressful but not nothing over the top great supervisors
Pros
Paid time off benefits great hours
Cons
Dealing with the recipients
productive
Child Care Licensing (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 8, 2018
I worked with a great team. We all supported each other. although the pay was not good. Knowing my team had my back when I visited a home I knew would give me problems. Was priceless.
Pros
great benefits
Welcome Center
Welcome Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jasper, TNNovember 1, 2018
Greeting tourist and truck drivers, help with directions or point of interest along the route, with weather updates and traffic conditions. Also would maintain the restrooms with toilet paper , paper towels, and cleanness
Benefits
Cons
the general society, when maintenance issues closed the restrooms
Great job, poor pay
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 28, 2018
I love working at the State, but the compensation is half of what the market is. The people are great. There's a good culture. However, few choose to stay, because there are better opportunities out there.
Excellent employer
Facility Administrator 3 (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNOctober 27, 2018
I enjoyed my years of employment with the State of Tennessee Promotions were given to me as I earned them in the 26.5 years I was employed. My military service time was added to my total time for a full retirement. I progressed from an electrician to a Facility Administrator 3 executive service during my time with the State.
Pros
Excellent medical insurance, longivity pay & civil service retirement pension plan
Cons
no complaints
Working for the State
Auditor 2 (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 16, 2018
I enjoy working for the State of Tennessee, and I would stay with the state if compensation was increasing. The main benefit of working for the state would be its's benefits.
Pros
Vacation and Sick Leave
Cons
Compensation
Messy Messy Messy
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 14, 2018
This have been the WORST job i have ever had in my life. First of all, the supervisors are a complete JOKE. For example, my supervior is very conniving and often make decisions based on personal feelings. The higher uppers stresses that they want Quality work, yet they force us to close cases within 2 weeks. The work/home life balance is terrible, and We are pracatically being forced to worked OT, just to maintain the case load. I could go on and on but i am emotionally drained writing about this place. Honestly, I never picked cotton but i can truly imagine how it felt. State of Tenn, You all need to make some changes ASAP, or you will forever have a high turnover!!! P.S. Each team needs atleast 6 people, if you are expecting quality work.
Pros
I have met some beautiful people; AWS
Cons
Majority of these LI's needs to be Fired!!!!
Beware of Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
IDD Program Specialist 3 (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 13, 2018
My experience was horrible. If you are African American amd expect to be treated fairly, this is not the place for you. My manager was a complete racist and treated the black staff as if they were beneath her. HR there is incompetent and clearly do not know what they are doing. They lie to cover up their tracks when they got caught under paying black staff. The regional director is only there to save himself. Working for the state can be a blessing if you are in the right department. Please Beware of DIDDs!!!
Pros
My coworkers
Cons
Management, pay, hours, etc.
management improvements needed
Probation/Parole Officer II (Current Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNOctober 12, 2018
Upon resignation, I showed my training log. No-one had signed off on anything. I was not properly trained for my role and I was carrying a caseload fit for three.
Pros
Paid time off and benefits
Cons
The other employees do everything they can to make sure you do not succeed before them.
Committed to educating the "whole child"
Approved trainer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 4, 2018
Progressive educational working environment. The department assertively promotes the academic, physical, mental, and social well being of children. The department is committed to providing continued professional development and training to all child care professionals. Parents are intentionally invited to participate in their child's learning and encouraged to become lifelong partners in the educational process.
Worst job I've had
Financial Services Investigative Unit (FSIU) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 3, 2018
There are many Departments within the State of Tennessee. Many different places and jobs. My review is based on my experience with the Department of Commerce and Insurance in a specific division. The best part of the entire department is the Assistant Commissioner of Insurance.
Pros
Pay, AWS (work from home)
Cons
Leadership is horrific, there is no accountability for poor leadership and glaring, obvious problems, intimidation by leaders.
Continued working all day with lunch and two 15 minutes breaks
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Metro Center locationSeptember 30, 2018
My work day was, I could take 2 15 minutes breaks, and one hour for lunch. Was required to process 40 t0 45 applications per day.
I worked at the Metro Center location.
Pros
I went to work everyday
Cons
Not a pleasant environment
What you should know before work for the State.
Management (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 29, 2018
You have NO legal rights: no recourse against workplace abuse, harassment, freedom of speech, limitations on life outside of employment, etc. The State Government and Federal Government are in bed with each other to dismiss complaints of abuse and retaliation. Federal laws and State statutes are "smoke screen" policies not intended to work on the behalf of the employee/victim. Multiply at-will employment times 10. Agencies are horrible having serious cultural diversity issues. Departmental racism permeates most agencies starting from the commissioner level down with approval coming from the Governor. A legion of lawyers (General Counsel) sweeps all the government's wrongdoings under the rug (poof!!!).
Pros
False aggrandizement and systematic organizational doting.
Cons
Entitlement culture that promotes State employees as above every other citizen of the State.
Loved staff and most members
State Representative (Former Employee) –  Capitol, Nashville, TNSeptember 28, 2018
The state is in a difficult period. The General Assembly continues to cut benefits and outsource whenever possible. Your job is always in jeopardy. Employees are great. Upper management in many instances is bad.
Pros
Healthcare, dental, vision, 401k
Cons
Healthcare changes yearly and that's generally downward, the atmosphere changes with the different political party in power
Excellent employer
Administrative Services Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 26, 2018
Working for the state of Tennessee has been a wonderful experience. The employees across the board are professional and willing to help. The ability to advance is much better than in the private sector.
Benefits
Cons
Low salary for support personnel
Not Enough Pay For Amount of work
Group Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, TNSeptember 25, 2018
I was promoted rather quickly, but was never paid properly for the promotion. This seems to be common practice. A lot of the time I was left to make management positions because management wasn't available.