State of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Enjoyed helping clients and working with co workers
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 22, 2018
My Supervisor was awesome. She was very fair. Good place to work and good benefits. Coworkers worked as a team. I had a problem with one of upper management. She didn't care for me not did i care for her. She was a policy person not a people person. I didn't agree with some of her decisions dealing with our clients.
Pros
Goverment holidays off
Cons
Some bad Supervisors. Dealing with the homeless.
Great benefits
Bank Examiner (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 21, 2018
Bank Examiner is an ever learning/challenging position. At times you are in charge, and the next job some one younger than you is in charge. Can be extremely rewarding, however the job does come with stress and challenges.
Pros
Off every Friday
Cons
Long Days
Depends on your department
Program Monitor (Current Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 11, 2018
Some departments hate their job, some love it. I love my job. My boss is relaxed, time off is never an issue. They are very supportive of families. I get to work from home.
Productive and supportive management
Eligibility Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Rockwood, TNSeptember 5, 2018
Our days were generally busy. Sometimes chaotic, but we had a supportive supervisor who was always encouraging and helped when needed. Good support from other co-workers.
Dhs
CLERK/SECRETARY/ADMIN SECRETARY/ELIGIBILITY ASSIST (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNSeptember 4, 2018
Very exciting. I loved working with the community.
The state paid very little, but the benefits were great. I appreciated the opportunity to learn , and grow.
low pay
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 4, 2018
The State of Tennessee doesn't pay enough. They don't keep up with cost of living or competitors. It is a laid back environment that offers a flexible schedule.
Pros
flexible environment
Cons
low pay
Management Issues
Office Supervisor 1 (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37219September 3, 2018
This position would have lasted longer had there been better management in place that ensured current employees were given the opportunity to advance in their current positions and not treated unfairly.
Failure in its leadership and cultural integration
Managed Care Division Director (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 27, 2018
The State of Tennessee fails in many areas of business interaction and development. More importantly, it lacks in its values of what's needed and required of todays State and Public jobs; true integration and no segregation.
Pros
No comment
Cons
no comment
Teams at the State
Senior Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 27, 2018
Working at the State of Tennessee, I was impressed with how everyone worked well together on our floor. Our Team made the many difficult task much less technical.
My time at the state was great due to the management team.
Pros
Working with good people
Cons
Jobs not completely scoped correctly.
Working for Department of Human Services
Eligibility Counselor 2 (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 21, 2018
I don't want to speak too negatively about my employment at the Department of Human Services, however, for the amount of work that we are expected to do, we are not getting paid enough. And the fact they want their Eligibility Counselors to have Degrees, they are not paying us well. If my pay met the demands they put upon us, I would not be looking for another job.
Pros
Great paid holidays
Cons
Too much micro managing
Ability to work AWS
Business Analyst - Senior (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 21, 2018
The department allowed AWS, which was really nice. Only required to come into the office once a week.

Extremely fast paced and worked multiple 10+ at a time.
Pros
Aws
Cons
hard to hear when on calls due to unified work area
If you are at the right location then the job is good
Correctional Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 20, 2018
If you're at the right location then you're job is alright but it still doesnt compensate for the low pay and high stress of the job. I used to be a correctional officer & transferred to two facilities and realized the difference in how some facilities are ran so some are ran better than others. But again, still low pay and a HIGH stressful job and staff is a nightmare. You're co-workers will try to see you fail more than the inmates would & that's alot to say. The only good thing about the job is there is ALWAYS a job opening so you can advance in your career if you choose to do so. I got a new position after my first year and haven't looked back. Where I am now, the pay is still low but a definite upgrade from my previous job. But I rather work my new position than to go back to a correctional officer
Pros
Insurance, career advancement
Cons
Stressful, short staffed, no holidays off, long hour shifts
Great first job, need to move to other departments to advance.
Service counselor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 20, 2018
The depeartment that I work for is a mess. The only way to advance is to brown nose or, be a friend of certain people in power. The health benefits for the state are great. But that's it. The culture in my specific department is awful, and the pay is worse. This is supposed to be a career, but most single people have to work a second job just to make ends meet.
A place to work
Building Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 20, 2018
That's about it. Varied work areas, some good and some bad. Really all depends on who your manager is, on the down side management tends to change often.
Burial Services Auditor 3 (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 20, 2018
The workload varied by where I was working that day. Traveled to different locations each day. Lots of travel but it was limited to one geographical area.
Pros
Got to travel to l=many different locations
Cons
Lots of time spent in vehicle
Educational Experience
CLERK (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 17, 2018
I learned quite a lot about how government offices are run while sharpening my knowledge of HIPPA policies. Government offices usually require keeping a rapid pace while remaining calm, these skills were sharpened as well.
Pros
Provoiding assistance as needed
Cons
Handling aggression from sometimes angry applicants
great experience
Legislative Intern (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 16, 2018
really great people and fun learning environment. cool location and knowledgeable and helpful co workers. would highly recommend this place for employment
Secure place to work
HR Analyst 3 (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 14, 2018
I've learned all aspects of HR, including benefits, recruiting, employee relations. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people. My typical day is challenging but fulfilling. The work place culture is based on customer focus. We consistently work with the public.
Pros
benefits and flexible schedule
Cons
adavncement opportunities
State government job
Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 10, 2018
Good state government job with state government employee benefits. The hardest part of the job always came on execution days when we were not allowed to park in the parking lot. Instead we had to park at the next correctional institution down the street and take the shuttle into work. We also generally pulled extra duties on execution days.
Pros
Free lunches, access to exercise equipment
Cons
It's a correctional facility. You're working around inmates.
cool place to work
MAIL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 10, 2018
very relaxing atmosphere
hardest part of the job was driving to work.
learned that you cant trust everyone working with you.
the most enjoyable part was seeing friends everyday
Pros
relaxing atmosphere