State of Tennessee Employee Reviews

Focused and friendly workplace
System Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 10, 2019
The workplace is laid back, but work gets done. The most recent working environment is very professional and polite, and people respect is shown. Leadership tends to be ex-military, where discipline and focus is a positive result. Politics is generally not a topic of discussion.

Jobs are announced in house, and then posted at http://governmentjobs.com publicly. New posting are usually about a week long.
Pros
Hours are flexible. Lots of benefits.
Cons
Older managers can be difficult...
Network and computer support for middle Tennessee prisons
PC Hardware/Software, IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 27, 2018
A typical day was spending it among the prisoners repairing electronic fence, computers/network.
Learned how to troubleshoot logically.
Management was horrible and had no feeling towards the employees.
The was not workplace culture support the prison system.
The hardest part of the job was spending my day in the prisons among the inmates.
Pros
Learning how to trouble shoot logically
Cons
Management and spending the day in prison
Great first job, need to move to other departments to advance.
Service counselor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 20, 2018
The depeartment that I work for is a mess. The only way to advance is to brown nose or, be a friend of certain people in power. The health benefits for the state are great. But that's it. The culture in my specific department is awful, and the pay is worse. This is supposed to be a career, but most single people have to work a second job just to make ends meet.
Excellent employer
Facility Administrator 3 (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNOctober 27, 2018
I enjoyed my years of employment with the State of Tennessee Promotions were given to me as I earned them in the 26.5 years I was employed. My military service time was added to my total time for a full retirement. I progressed from an electrician to a Facility Administrator 3 executive service during my time with the State.
Pros
Excellent medical insurance, longivity pay & civil service retirement pension plan
Cons
no complaints
long hours on call
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  TennesseeDecember 24, 2018
This job requires a lot of travel. Reimbursement is not enough to compensate for what you actually spend. The turnover rate is very high. Promotions are not fairly evaluated among the most qualified and hard working candidates.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
no work life balance, no room or career advancement, easy burnout
Enjoyed helping clients and working with co workers
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 22, 2018
My Supervisor was awesome. She was very fair. Good place to work and good benefits. Coworkers worked as a team. I had a problem with one of upper management. She didn't care for me not did i care for her. She was a policy person not a people person. I didn't agree with some of her decisions dealing with our clients.
Pros
Goverment holidays off
Cons
Some bad Supervisors. Dealing with the homeless.
Fast pace. Low pay. Room for advancement.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 9, 2018
As a secretary, we have a heavy work load. Everyday is different. The days do go by fast but with little room for even bathroom breaks. Pay is low. Too low to support a growing family, alone. But, room for advancement if you prove yourself. Great benefits.
Pros
Benefits and room for advancement
Cons
Low pay
Loved staff and most members
State Representative (Former Employee) –  Capitol, Nashville, TNSeptember 28, 2018
The state is in a difficult period. The General Assembly continues to cut benefits and outsource whenever possible. Your job is always in jeopardy. Employees are great. Upper management in many instances is bad.
Pros
Healthcare, dental, vision, 401k
Cons
Healthcare changes yearly and that's generally downward, the atmosphere changes with the different political party in power
Decent job, pay and benefits
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 26, 2018
The pay is not bad. The benefits are great. The patients aren't that bad. You get some very bad ones but the staff is who you have to watch out for. There's a lot of lazy Techs and nurses. They complain about doing their job! The woman over nursing and the CEO don't give a dang about keeping good workers. If you don't fit in the click there then you're going to be miserable. There's a lot of racism going on at the Bend also. It is there!
Pros
Good pay, Excellent benefits
Cons
Toxic atmosphere, co-workers and management
Department of Childrens Services
CPS Investigation /Assessment Case Manager 2 (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNJanuary 13, 2019
This is a high-stress job to begin with which is made worse by the actual work environment. Management is unsympathetic and sometimes hostile two online staff.
Pros
Great benefits and a retirement pension
Cons
Hostile work environment
Messy Messy Messy
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 14, 2018
This have been the WORST job i have ever had in my life. First of all, the supervisors are a complete JOKE. For example, my supervior is very conniving and often make decisions based on personal feelings. The higher uppers stresses that they want Quality work, yet they force us to close cases within 2 weeks. The work/home life balance is terrible, and We are pracatically being forced to worked OT, just to maintain the case load. I could go on and on but i am emotionally drained writing about this place. Honestly, I never picked cotton but i can truly imagine how it felt. State of Tenn, You all need to make some changes ASAP, or you will forever have a high turnover!!! P.S. Each team needs atleast 6 people, if you are expecting quality work.
Pros
I have met some beautiful people; AWS
Cons
Majority of these LI's needs to be Fired!!!!
Great job, poor pay
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 28, 2018
I love working at the State, but the compensation is half of what the market is. The people are great. There's a good culture. However, few choose to stay, because there are better opportunities out there.
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNNovember 8, 2018
Great people good place to work not a lot of room for advancement but laid back environment sometimes stressful but not nothing over the top great supervisors
Pros
Paid time off benefits great hours
Cons
Dealing with the recipients
What you should know before work for the State.
Management (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 29, 2018
You have NO legal rights: no recourse against workplace abuse, harassment, freedom of speech, limitations on life outside of employment, etc. The State Government and Federal Government are in bed with each other to dismiss complaints of abuse and retaliation. Federal laws and State statutes are "smoke screen" policies not intended to work on the behalf of the employee/victim. Multiply at-will employment times 10. Agencies are horrible having serious cultural diversity issues. Departmental racism permeates most agencies starting from the commissioner level down with approval coming from the Governor. A legion of lawyers (General Counsel) sweeps all the government's wrongdoings under the rug (poof!!!).
Pros
False aggrandizement and systematic organizational doting.
Cons
Entitlement culture that promotes State employees as above every other citizen of the State.
Worst Job Ever!
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 14, 2018
I have worked for the department of children services as a case manager for 2 1/2 years and in that time I have not learned anything. I was not trained properly, my supervisor is a micromanager and makes the job even more stressful. Upper management does not care about our well being at all yet they preach self care all day. Once I had a removal, I was forced to leave my home at night after working a full shift (was not on call) to sit with a child all night and then go back to work the next day with no sleep at all (I worked a triple shift). I did not get paid overtime, I was told to flex my time even though I signed a paper my first day of work asking for overtime instead of flex time (they just ignored that). They want our case load low yet we are made to do the most unnecessary tasks to close our cases. We are put in dangerous situations going inside peoples houses and all upper management cares about is our numbers for money and funding. I would not recommended this place unless you want to be a modern day slave.
Pros
Aws, Flexibility
Cons
Everything else
If you are at the right location then the job is good
Correctional Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 20, 2018
If you're at the right location then you're job is alright but it still doesnt compensate for the low pay and high stress of the job. I used to be a correctional officer & transferred to two facilities and realized the difference in how some facilities are ran so some are ran better than others. But again, still low pay and a HIGH stressful job and staff is a nightmare. You're co-workers will try to see you fail more than the inmates would & that's alot to say. The only good thing about the job is there is ALWAYS a job opening so you can advance in your career if you choose to do so. I got a new position after my first year and haven't looked back. Where I am now, the pay is still low but a definite upgrade from my previous job. But I rather work my new position than to go back to a correctional officer
Pros
Insurance, career advancement
Cons
Stressful, short staffed, no holidays off, long hour shifts
Secure place to work
HR Analyst 3 (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 14, 2018
I've learned all aspects of HR, including benefits, recruiting, employee relations. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people. My typical day is challenging but fulfilling. The work place culture is based on customer focus. We consistently work with the public.
Pros
benefits and flexible schedule
Cons
adavncement opportunities
Beware of Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
IDD Program Specialist 3 (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 13, 2018
My experience was horrible. If you are African American amd expect to be treated fairly, this is not the place for you. My manager was a complete racist and treated the black staff as if they were beneath her. HR there is incompetent and clearly do not know what they are doing. They lie to cover up their tracks when they got caught under paying black staff. The regional director is only there to save himself. Working for the state can be a blessing if you are in the right department. Please Beware of DIDDs!!!
Pros
My coworkers
Cons
Management, pay, hours, etc.
Not Enough Pay For Amount of work
Group Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, TNSeptember 25, 2018
I was promoted rather quickly, but was never paid properly for the promotion. This seems to be common practice. A lot of the time I was left to make management positions because management wasn't available.
A great facility to enhance your skills in customer service and human resources.
OFFICE ASSISTANCE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, TNApril 27, 2018
A typical work day would be

Answering a multi-line telephone (12 lines) and being responsible for answering a client's call about his or her benefits, by researching their information as needed using the DHS Accent System. What I learned about this particular job is multi-tasking, patience, and learned insight on how to better serve our clients. The most challenging part of this job was learning the different codes and screens to research information, for it was many. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the clients and being able to assist them in their time of need.
Pros
Great benefits, including getting holiday pay
Cons
no room for advancement to be promoted to higher position