State of Utah Employee Reviews

I loved working there
Senior Asst. Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Cedar City, UTMarch 15, 2019
It was hard, and there was a lot of work to do but I really enjoyed it. If you have a degree then it is easy to move up but if you don't, you are stuck in one position option. The hardest part is the workload
Great work environment
Accounting Technician III (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 27, 2019
I was able to meet many people who helped me develop a skill set that was new to me. They pushed me to learn about many aspects of the job. This job fulfilled me by being a go-to person for answers for many different things.
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Food Service Manager II (Current Employee) –  Hurricane, UTFebruary 26, 2019
I have been the kitchen supervisor for 8 years. this was a great place to work for almost 7.5 years and in on day this place became a place full of back stabbing and a very predatory place to work. I had always received good reviews and had a very good working relationship with the same supervisor. it all changed one day over the guise of a 20% budget cut. he completely changed to a very demeaning micro manager who had nothing good to say . this was a very disappointing turn of events
Terrible Management, unsafe workplace, and overall dreadful place to work
Counselor III (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake Valley, UTFebruary 16, 2019
I started working here because it allowed me to influence and teach the at-risk youth. But the detention center has changed drastically since the State took over.

The facility is UNSAFE! We found contraband like cigarettes, lighters, cell phones, screw drivers, and usually the staff never discovered them, the kids brag about having them while being released and give up the contraband. I would see youth come in on felonies such as assault, aggravated burglary, possession of a firearm, and sometimes murder. These youth were released home after a couple of days in the detention facility, which is very dangerous for the community. We had one resident break a light and use the shards to try and assault the staff, but was released home later that day nonetheless.

The youth in the facility have the potential to be very dangerous and will act out if they don’t get their way. You have to be an emotionally strong person to work here with all the verbal/emotional and sometimes physical abuse you get from the youth. My coworkers would avoid conflict with them rather than holding them accountable for their disrespectful manor. The youth run the sections and the staff are more like the inmates. There is no “correction” involved in this facility. The kids just hang out until they are released. Typical days would include school, gym, video games + card games, movies, and then bed. Occasionally we had physical altercations between youth but they were not held accountable and did not receive a consequence. They were allowed to watch movies and eat pizza, chips, candy, and soda's with
  more... the group the same night.

We were short staffed almost every day and the supervisors don’t offer much help, they spend most of the shift sitting in the main hall talking to each other and refuse to work in the sections. They take two hour lunches but us floor staff are not allowed to take any breaks except to use the bathroom. When we do have an altercation between kids and the staff break up the fight, they are written up for going hands-on on the youth and are intensely investigated after. This causes the staff to refrain from going hands on which in turn creates unsafe situations for both staff and residents. Within 2 weeks we had one resident assault 3 staff and we were not allowed to press charges against him because our APD did not permit it.

Due to being short staffed most time off requests are denied and I had to go into work sick many times despite having a doctor’s note. I had a family member pass away and had to prove to the company that she was a blood relative before I was allowed to take the day off for her funeral.

There was no job security since you technically work for the state, they are allowed to transfer you wherever they think is best. A few of my other coworkers were transferred to facilities that were in Saint George or Roosevelt (keeping in mind we currently work in Salt Lake City)- forcing them to either quit or move to said location. I showed up to work sometimes to discover that I was being sent to work in a different facility 45 minutes away. Leaving me with a 2 hour commute home.

Overall I loved working with the youth but due to lack of respect of management and the unsafe environment I had to leave.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
No breaks, unsafe, poor management
Good stable place to work
IT Analyst II - Programmer (Former Employee) –  SLC, UTJanuary 21, 2019
If you are not in it for the money, if you want a stable place to work and a stable paycheck, and if you want pretty decent benefits for very little then the working for the State of Utah is for you.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Legacy and bureaucracy
Its great
UT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 17, 2019
Overall, working here is great. I have no complaints and I enjoy being able to work 10 hours a day and flex a day during the week. I am applying elsewhere because do not like living in the State of Utah and would like to relocate.
Team Meetings
Agricultural Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahDecember 18, 2018
In the FSA, we have team meetings and share ideas on how to help the farmers and ranchers in the state of Utah. We discuss trips and conferences coming up and find who is going to attend.
Pros
Get to explore new ideas
Cons
Time away from projects
It was very laxed.
Correctional Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTDecember 17, 2018
Typical day was working with youth and families to get them the best services we could for them while in states custody. Learned how not to be as a human being. Management very poor at listening to line staff and counselors. I enjoyed working with the kids and families, not the politics of the state.Hardest part of the job was dealing with the politics. The interactions with kids, families and co-workers.
Pros
Being a Counselor.
Cons
Politics.
No Training
Loss Control/ADA Consultant Inspector (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 17, 2018
The job was great, but I was not given good guidance on how to be successful in the job. There are a lot of people preparing to retire and no training in place for those coming on.
Poor morale
Research Consultant II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 11, 2018
The work is appreciated, but not the individual. Days can go by without anyone from management saying hello or asking how you are doing! In fact, most managers act like they are always angry or simply don’t care!
Pros
Left alone to do your work
Cons
Nobody cares about you
Great Benefits
Employment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 3, 2018
The State of Utah's benefit compensation package is excellent. That is by far the reason most employees stay working for the State. As an Employment Counselor, my job has been very rewarding, and even though raises (not cost of living ones) are few and far between.
Pros
Coworkers are amazing, health benefits package is great
Cons
Raises and promotions are rare.
Productive most of the time
Peer Parenting (Former Employee) –  Price, UTOctober 23, 2018
my typical day would start with home visits, helping them with everyday living needs, Cleaning, budgeting, hygiene, helping them with their workbooks that needed to be completed.
Pros
Satisfaction when their children are back home or not taken
Cons
Disappointments when clients would not follow through with the program
N/a
ASSISTANT CASEWORKER (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTOctober 18, 2018
It was a great place to work. Fun to work with the kids. The people there can sometimes be hard to work with but it was a good environment to work in.
Great people and fantastic benefits
Workforce Services Specialist II-Eligibility (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 16, 2018
The State of Utah is a fantastic employer. They treat their employees well and they provide exceptional benefits. My only criticism is that the pay is low and it is very hard to live on it with one income.
Pros
Great benefits, and fantastic co workers
Cons
Low pay
Wouldn't recommend
CI (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 9, 2018
Everything is backward. It's very disorganized, some supervisors will take credit for your work to make themselves look better, then sit there surfing the web or playing on their phones.

If you are asked to complete extra tasks, you won't be given the time to complete it and then when you finally do, you don't get a get a thank you, but rather you get written up.

You'll also get blamed for things you didn't do and the whole place is like high school. People will make up rumors and spread them to others.

All the supervisors are buddy buddies with one another so any complaints will fall on deaf ears. Then your supervisor will throw you under the bus to make you look bad.

Lots of turnarounds because people take stand it there. If there are lots of turnarounds, then something is wrong.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
They help Foster children
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTOctober 2, 2018
I worked as a foster parent to help very troubled kids. They helped in the process. I was able to talk to them about the progress and continue to receive support in the work.
Great job
Eligibility Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Southern UtahAugust 22, 2018
Great place to work especially if you are in a smaller town for job security. Extremely affordable medical benefits and great pay. You start off with benefits the first day of employment!!
Pros
Great job stability
Cons
Lack of advancement if you live in the Southern part of the state
Part time
HEARING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Carbon and Emery county in utah.August 2, 2018
This was a part time position so there were no benefits. The people were great to work with and gave assistance and training when needed. There was ongoing training for sign language and support from the managers. There was in-house training on a regular basis. The time I spent working was up to me. I scheduled classes that I taught and scheduled presentations and booths. I loved working with the people i taught because it was exciting to see them learn better ways to adapt to hearing loss and they were very appreciative. It was hard to keep my hours under 16 hours a week sometimes.
Pros
Good supportive staff
Cons
No benefits
Great team to work for
Compliance Agent -BMC (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 23, 2018
investigate injuries for Medicaid subrogation. Read Medical report to determine if a third party is liable to reimburse Medicaid. Worked with attorneys for personal injury cases. set up restitution against defendants, who are responsible of injuring the Medicaid recipient.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n?a
Big Government
RESOURCE FAMILY CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 13, 2018
It was a good ride when it was good. It was a rough ride once the road turned. It is a difficult job all by itself; when you wonky management it can become too much for some.
benefits
Cons
the job itself