State of Vermont
62Average

State of Vermont Employee Reviews

United States151 reviews
I found the State of Vermont as an employer overall to be a nice fit. There is opportunity to learn new things, work in different fields, and be able to change your job along the way, if you choose too.
Was hired on to be trained to do something no one was trained for and given a very short leash to grasp and learn position. In a regular office setting this could have been accomplished not during a pandemic work from home environment that was and is not set up for work from home. Manager's expectations unrealistic given the circumstance but expected results. Training was not great, people that trained me not great. Not a great situation for me didn't work out.
Pros
Pay, Insurance good for me.
Cons
Training, trainers not good or patient expectations unrealistic.
Not bad is what it is lot of labor involved outside lot of time also very demanding job expect to do variety of jobs changes all the time room for advancement if u so decide to do so and open for things to do
I worked there for 12 seasons and had few opportunities to move up. They hired from outside, which seems a common theme.
The people I worked with are very passionate about our work preserving the State owned land. Some employees did not think skill level for my position was warranted.

All in all, this was the best jb in Vermont for me, except for the commute and lack of promotion.
Pros
work out doors
Cons
No promotion
Work is fairly demanding but rewarding with successful results. Friendly culture with good collaboration and willingness to help others. Management was actively engaged.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I love what the dmh standards of helping vulnerable adults are supposed to be but the state falls short of keeping employees happy and taking care of the motto should be better treated and compensated staff makes for better health care of residents I wish our state government saw it that way morale is always low and we have to set the bar higher for the people we serve.
Culture is terrible, good work isn't really rewarded. Either give up and muddle through to retirement or move on. Those are the only options available.
I enjoyed working for the State of Vermont and wish I never left.
A typical day at work was so enjoyable and great atmosphere.

hardest part of the job would be no maternity leave options and no overtime options.
Pros
Cons
no overtime
There are some great employees for new graduates to learn from. Politics (both internal and external to the organization) can be challenging. Many opportunities for growth if you manage your own career actively.
It went excellent. Loved talking to the person at the DCF office for my interview. They are amazing to work for. I love working for them. I get paid monthly.
Compensation is competitive within the non-profit organizations. An individual most be motivated to seek opportunities and to express ideas. Work loads vary greatly within classification and between departments/agencies.
Pros
Training is encouraged.
Cons
Interview process can be tedious
Great work/life balance and you will never be doing the same type of work day in and day out, which I enjoy.
You will be busy, and at other times able to assist other office personnel to become more well rounded.
The state is slow to adapt to new technology. People that have been there awhile, hold the team back, by not adapting and learning new skills. Frustrating environment.
Pros
On the gravy train if you are a performenr
Cons
Poor Management
People are good to
Work with. Management not so much. Great benefits. Good work/life balance. Decent salary with opportunities to move up. The micromanaging can be a lot
Right of way Agent 3. I liked the Job research, sale of surplus property. Property managment. Reading plans for home owners or the State when They had sink holes or needs help finding culverts. Their was alot of diffrent jobs never boring. On a slow day their was always scanning.
Pros
They work with you so you can make doctor appointments.
Cons
New. Micro managing
The work is reasonable but the Directors and above are clueless, none have actually done the work they supervise. Seem to read an article on a new trend in management and take off with it.
The staff with which I worked were professional, warm and dedicated! Everyone worked as a team, supported each other and provided an upbeat, positive wok environment.
Management is aware of struggles, supportive and always willing to dive in and help where possible. I'll miss working for the State of Vermont and the Office of the Treasurer!
Pros
Team work, warm
Cons
Office tended to be hot...
My job gave me experience of using a computer, word documents and using a switchboard phone system and how to fax, email, coping and printing and scanning etc.
Pros
Always learning new things
Cons
The I.T. legislative branch is a great place to work within the State of Vermont. I enjoyed the work, the people and my surrondings. I couldn't say en po ugh positive things about everyone i interfaced with while working.
The job can be challenging and stressful, but you are surrounded by coworkers who care about the job and the population they serve. Everyday offers new challenges.
It’s a great career path, lots of growth within the organization. The benefits are out standing as well as time off. There so many different paths you can take, when you start working for the state of Vermont, the opportunities are endless!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Vermont. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight