State of Vermont Pay & Benefits reviews

A political nightmare with abusive and incompetent management
Worker (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTJanuary 4, 2019
There is so much government waste that I witnessed while working for the State of Vermont. So many employees I encountered sat back doing as little as possible just to collect their salary and benefits. And the worst part is that because of the union it is nearly impossible to get rid of bad employees unless there is an egregious offense like sleeping with a client, and even then I’ve seen people be hired back after it happening more than once.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Explained below
Processing Applications for families and individuals in Vermont
Program Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, VTNovember 20, 2018
Processed incoming mail and application packets involving opening and sorting 3squares, WIIC, catamount and ESD applications. Slow paced relaxed environment with good benefits.
eh
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTNovember 10, 2018
i dont have great things to say about working for the state beyond the fact that the benefits are decent and that you can apply and get preference for other state jobs once you are employed with the state
Very rewarding career ladder choices.
Disability Examiner (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, VTOctober 20, 2018
I loved working for the State of VT. I only left because we moved to Maine. I was eligible to retire (30 years) so I did. I retired with full benefits, therefore, I already have heathcare (BCBC). However, I am not ready to stop working.
Pros
Benefits, good pay, job security, enjoyable work.
Cons
Sitting all the time. I like to stay moving.
Program Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTOctober 19, 2018
Offer weekday schedules within business hours, little overtime requested dependent upon position. 40 hours is typical weekly schedule, unless requested to work additional hours during peak season.
Do not Work at the State of Vermont
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTOctober 2, 2018
State government does not recognize profit and loss or competitive advantage in the decision making process; which changes the fundamental business approach to measure success.
-Talented IT professionals - beware!
-Difficult place to work; very slow decision making processes.
-Uneducated middle management.
-Be prepared to be exploited, under utilized and under valued.
-Inconsistent and unethical union work practices.
-The worst experience of my professional career.
Pros
Excellent (but expensive) healthcare benefits
Cons
Pay
Job review
Benefits Program Assistant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Essex, VTSeptember 12, 2018
I like the challenge of my work. I learn new skills every week.
Communication with management can be a challenge. But I enjoy my co-workers and our freedom to interact.
Pros
Good compensation and benefits
Cons
Frustrating work at times
You can make a lot of money, but you have no personal life
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Swanton, VTSeptember 9, 2018
The State of Vermont is always hiring Correctional Officers. It may be the right career for you. Upside, you will make a lot of money and have a decent health insurance plan. Downside, you are subject to mandatory last minute overtime - which makes having a personal life difficult.
Pros
Meals included, paid breaks
Cons
Mandatory overtime, Prison environment
Workday Summary
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJuly 19, 2018
Everyday is a day to learn something new. Easy to determine your own direction and work towards it with little supervision. Pay grades and salaries are well defined but actual salary is well below the industry standard.
Challenging
Business Application Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, VTJune 5, 2018
Working in state government will definitely keep you on your toes, as processes, guidelines, policies and rules change almost endlessly. Possessing the ability to "go with the flow" and adapt within state government is critical - but it can get tiring and frustrating. Additionally, the lack of flexibility is often an issue.
Pros
Benefits & pay
Cons
Lack of flexibility
General Assistance Program
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, VTJune 1, 2018
This was a fast-paced position providing benefits to those with emergency needs for living assistance. Most clients were medically unable to work so rent, electric and general living expenses were paid by the State if the client qualified. Emergency shelter was also provided during cold weather. It was the GA workers position to determine the eligibility of the applicant and to authorize payments,.
Pros
Meeting new people and assisting them
Cons
Stressful, fast paced position, needing quick decisions.
Solid Starting Place for IT
Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTMay 1, 2018
Job security but not very competitive wages compared to private IT jobs. Great place to start your IT career if you don't have the degree to get your foot in the door.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Salary
10 year temp
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Derby, VTApril 14, 2018
Seriously , no evaluations, no pay increase, work as little as 2 days a month for10 years! No advancement, no benefits, , no vacation, work every holiday, no appreciation from managee, co-workers. The State,is ,hiring more and more part time to avoid paying benifits and giving them extremely little hours which makes it not livable and employees must seek other supplementsupplemental work to survive.
Pros
The Status
Cons
Unable to pay bills due to too many other paet time co-workers
Satisfying
Administrative Secretary to the Commissioner (Former Employee) –  Williston, VTMarch 18, 2018
The hardest part of this job was dealing with irate, irrational beneficiaries and not getting the support from supervisors.
there are too many managers/supervisors and they have no one to supervise. Meeting and helping people get the benefits they need.
Don’t bother applying for this job
Temporary Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  VermontMarch 8, 2018
Waste of your time to even apply for this job. They keep you as a temporary employee for as long as they see fit. Work you all the hours they want on whatever shift they want. All the while never giving you benefits or any sort of holiday pay. You have to constantly watch your back with fellow coworkers out to get you for anything and everything. Management will only deem you fit for full time if you are a complete over-time hound and drink their koolaide.
Good Place to Work, Just behind on the Telecommute Idea
Information Technology Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VTFebruary 7, 2018
The State of Vermont has excellent benefits, but like many States is struggling financially and has managers who are not keen on Telecommuting. I have a long drive to work and would like to be able to work from home on occasion, but my upper level management is not comfortable with that.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Not able to manage Telecommuting employees well
social work at DCF
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport, VTDecember 12, 2017
This position is extremely fast paced and impossible to ever catch up with the overwhelming work load. The staff is wonderful and supportive. Expectation to work over allotted hours for compensation time, makes it difficult to maintain a personal life.
difficult job but plesant co-workers
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTDecember 12, 2017
The social work position at DCF is fast paced and emotionally extremely difficult . You are NEVER caught up in this role. Job security is always present.
Pros
health benefits, pay
Cons
Extremely stressful
Great career choice
PROBATION & PAROLE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTDecember 10, 2017
My supervisor at this site was rude and not overly professional. This career choice requires a more easy going supervision as you are trusting your life with your co-workers.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Poor suoervision
Great Workplace Culture
Housing Program Director (Current Employee) –  Montpelier, VT 05602October 10, 2017
I have stayed this length of time at VT DMH due to the positive upbeat focused approach to getting good outcomes accomplished for the people we serve.
Pros
Flexible schedule and excellent benefits
Cons
typical constrains of publicly funded programs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Vermont. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight