State of Washington Employee Reviews

WA St. Ferries HRBP is Worst Job
HRBP 4 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2018
Line HR mgt @ WSF was the poorest in all my years in HR. Line mgr is a micro mgr; my way or highway mindset. Former Coast Guard. Prone to racist comments disguised as humor. Little or no training to prepare for doing job. No formal probationary performance/ progress feedback session. If you are not in agreement w/ line mgr, he will isolate team member. High turnover on HR team. People put in minimal 8 hrs & leave.

Avoid WSF HR....Worst professional experience!!!
Pros
Great Low cost benefits; super HR support staff; employees on Ferries are hard working & genuine.
Cons
Compensation over 20% below market for HRBP; HR line mgt the worst
Don't do it. Don't apply, don't accept position at WA OSPI.
employee (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 6, 2018
A typical day is filled with meetings in and out of the office, required travel, interaction with other state agencies, high volume of emails, phone calls, virtual meetings. Opportunities abound and the door is open to new talent but OSPI is an organization with a revolving door and new faces don't last long due to mismanagement and agency-wide bad practices. Extremely demanding workload with high expectations and low support, no work life balance. Employees engage in crafty political internal practices, absent leadership, gullible HR office that allows inmates to run the ship, repetitive problems never dealt with, zero transparency, closed door conversations, people running scared and afraid for their jobs and some just walk out. If you are a teacher or administrator who truly wants to make a difference in the lives of children and you are thinking of working there, keep looking and find another place to use your skills as an educator.
Pros
Good entry salary and benefits, prestige of working at the state level
Cons
Read complete review below, no employee parking, no security on staff, unsafe area due to high volume of drug addicts, homeless, and street people.
LMF Trucking & Transport LLC
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, WAOctober 5, 2018
This is a company my wife started. I assisted her with start up of additional trucks.

Repair trucks and organize work location. Time was spent away from my family
Pros
New experience
Cons
away from Family
Stressfull and demanding
Workfirst Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 18, 2018
Be prepared to be threatened with being fired, gossip, and two faced managers who claim to be there for you when you have a disabled child, and dealing with mental illness yourself. You will never hear of what a great job you did do, but be told to be better. No one should work under these conditions.
Pros
No dress code
Cons
politics, gossip, feels like high school drama daily
Good place to start. Plan your exit early.
Information Technology/Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 7, 2018
Not told directly what to do but not given autonomy to complete tasks or take on task without approval. Training? Forget it. Teams work in silos, not sharing information. Communication from management - poor.
Great Pay
Information Technology Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 7, 2018
You earn a live able salary working for the state of Washington however they do not appreciate their workers or listen to the community. They will not listen to new ideas. It is all political. The new training they give to new employees is impersonal. It does not prepare them for dealing with vulnerable populations.The workers do not understand eligibility and cannot explain the rules to people who apply.
Pros
Great Pay to support a family
Cons
No appreciation
My certifications were earned at the State of Washington
Executive Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  Camp Murray, WAAugust 20, 2018
A few of my certifications were earned at the State of Washington. I did work directly for the State on two previous jobs in my career. One as a consultant with Child Protective Services and one time at the Washington State Department of Emergency Management where I was the assistant to the State Director.
Real Estate Agent
Real Estate Associate/Agent (Former Employee) –  Sammamish, WAAugust 20, 2018
Serving the public is not a typical 9 - 5 position I had to be on more than 12 hours a day. Working as an independent contractor, your work determined your success. The more you performed the more people you would be representing.

The work culture was self made. I could be a total professional and continue to learn and have fun. The most enjoyment was meeting new people and enrichment in life.

The people I represented were always grateful for the hard work and dedication I showed in the given goal of relieve or joy when assisting people in selling or purchasing a home. A great deal of pride was prevalent.

The most difficult part of the job of independent contactor was the long hours it took to be successful. To be successful, one must be committed. Failure is not an option for me
Pros
Meeting new people and places
Cons
Long hours and a very strong self committment
Horrible
Manager (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 20, 2018
At the DOT, HR will lie, cheat and screw you over, do not go to work there. They are not what they seem. They will lie to your face and go behind your back and cut you up!
Good company to work for but managment could do better.
CONTRACTOR FOR DISABLED CHILDREN (Current Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 17, 2018
Company helps a lot of people in need but management was poor. Requesting more hours and/or new clients in an independent contracting role was difficult due to the lack of management.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Secretary Senior (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 6, 2018
The state is a great place to work. there is advancement in some division. depending on what you would like to do in the (State) work field is where the advancement will be..
Misguided management
Senior Fire Investigator (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WA 98926July 26, 2018
Leadership made management decisions based on personal whims without regard for the primary mission.

Flagrant disregard for the reasonable follow-up on cost recovery of tax payer's money.
Pros
Under previous leadership, the best job I have ever had.
Cons
New management eroding the program.
Professional and Committed Environment
Administrative Assistant/Government (Current Employee) –  Port Townsend, WAJuly 17, 2018
Customer and client focused. I have learned a great deal about the depth of employment related issues. Workplace culture is sincere and professional. The hardest part of the job is seeing customers suffering in their journey. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing success while changing lives.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Would love to see greater State Funding
Helping people acheive a better quality of life was rewarding
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJuly 6, 2018
Working there was enjoyable and provided me on the job training to better help those I was serving. They produced competitive wages along with paid vacation. The supervisors were always willing to go out of their way to correct any problems that arose and it felt good to be apart of something bigger then just me
Hard job with great people
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAJuly 3, 2018
This is not a job for most people. Your are subjected to violence, blood, and extreme situations on a daily basis. What gets you through is your fellow officer's.
Pros
good pay, other officers
Cons
very violent job.
Depends on the Position
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAJuly 2, 2018
Depending on the position you are employed in will be determine how much you enjoy your job. If you are an inmate employed through the state it tends to be a rough type of job,
Challenging work place with opportunity to learn customer service and professionalism
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAJune 27, 2018
A typical work day consisted of maintaining product distribution and training for new Stylist. I learned how to manage students in a fast paced/timed environment, product control, enhanced leadership skills and organization. The culture in my job site was relaxed and self maintained; however, the hardest part of my job was dealing with ever changing security requirements. This allowed me the opportunity to grow my patience and flexibility in difficult situation and personalities. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with the clientele and my Stylists.
Pros
Walking distance
Good benefits, horrible work culture
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Snoqualmie, WAJune 15, 2018
I worked for the state for roughly ten years all over and I can say that it isn't worth it. You get paid less, you work more and forget trying to have a life because most of their facilities can't keep people and you get stuck working mandatory ot every other day. Not to mention that the training you and others get is lacking the actual skills you'll need to do the job. If you want to advance or become permanent it's a process that will definitely give you a headache.
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay, training work/life balance
Working as a care provider
Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Wapato, WAJune 5, 2018
I worked as care provider for a family member and found the support recieved by my case manager to be excellent and very available. The case manager was always there to answer any questions i had and provide guidance when needed
ethics
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAMay 31, 2018
I really don't want to write something bad about them but their poor work ethics combined with upholding their inane, arbitrary rules and over-all lack of communication writes itself.
Pros
they uphold their rules
Cons
Lack of communication