State of Washington Employee Reviews

Wa State is a great place to work!
Investigator, Supervisor Adult Protective Services (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAMarch 18, 2019
My typical day at work is challenging and rewarding. I interface with many different people; colleagues, supervisors, clients and the community. I have learned a lot about investigative techniques and various avenues for success in an investigation. Management is encouraging as well as sets the bar high for achievement. The workplace culture is great, with many interesting and stimulating people around me. My most challenging part of the job is getting it all done in the time set, so much more could be done!

I most enjoy when I am able to make a difference in the lives of others!
Good learning experience
Kitchen Diet Cook (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAFebruary 27, 2019
I served 500 residents twice daily, keeping up with harsh demands and big rushes of people. Ensured food was on time, warm, rotated and kitchen was clean and sanitized.
fast pace
Stockroom/Warehouse/Storage Yard Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Connell, WAJanuary 30, 2019
stayed busy all the time and helped other dept. when work was slow A team atmosphere.WE would unload trucks put stock away in the bays ,do inventory,and ship/receive.
Pros
learned a lot of different things, and was certified on equipment.
Cons
A lot of bosses that do the same job different ways
enjoyed it
Public Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 24, 2019
overall enjoyed my work there, but thats just my own experiecnce I realize others may have a different view. Public service doesnt seem to be for everyne
Productive and fun work place with nice co-workers.
DATA COMPILER (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAJanuary 10, 2019
I enjoyed the work and the people I worked with. Possibility of advancement with the state, but there was no job security in my particular department. It was a temporary job.
Fun and productive
Collision Repair Technician (Teacher's Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJanuary 9, 2019
Disposed of damaged and defective items, and returned Executed daily operations of issuance and collection of automobile tools used by students.

´éč
Helping other, but stressful
LICENSING EXEMPT SERVICES COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 8, 2019
Anytime you work in a politically charged arena it can be stressful. The culture of the workplace was inviting, yet it is state government so decision were sporadic in any transition period.
Pros
Empolyees invested in helping
Cons
Leadership vs Management theories under fire
Prison
Inmate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAJanuary 6, 2019
I was an inmate in the washington state department of corrections and as you can imagine the quality of coworkers there is extremely poor and that made for a bad work environment.
State Government Work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, WADecember 20, 2018
Enjoyed ability to work in various programs, and as a manager I had the opportunity to set the tone of the working culture in the units that I managed.
Pros
ability to set the tone
Cons
politics
Can be rewarding
Attendant Counselor 2 (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WADecember 19, 2018
The position can be challenging depending on the needs of the clients/residents. You have to have genuine compassion and a willingness to help others to thrive in this environment. Unfortunately, there are employees who lack the aforementioned. This was the most difficult part of the job for me, not the clients. Management at the location I worked put the clients best interests first and always advocated for them. Strenuous environment for the pay. Great training. Frequent house/mandatory meetings.
Pros
Job stability, rewarding
Cons
Pay
State of Washington-DSHS
Community Service Office Administrator (CSOA) (Current Employee) –  Shelton, WADecember 12, 2018
Pushes Equity, Diversion, and Inclusion agenda but lacks to follow through a lot of the time. Often times puts non-represented staff in no win situations and places blame rather than find mediated solutions. Gives into Union Demands often and choses to force other items onto staff that are unnecessary. Large favoritism is played and if you're I the know, you get the prime jobs. Often times talk about consistent and fair hiring practices but rarely is an "unknown" or "outsider" get a position.
Pros
Lots of great staff, fairly decent benefits
Cons
Lack of technology and forward thinking
Government Job
Administrative Assistant 3 to SARU Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WADecember 11, 2018
It depends on which Department you work for but the Dept. of Corrections is a great way to connect with the public when they have questions or concerns. Many of the people that work for the state do a great job in helping you learn the routine of your new job.
I loved the independents
Home Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 4, 2018
I loved my job. I helped my client with everyday needs such as cleaning, shopping, dressing, decision making, driving her to appointments and doing laundry, dressing and hygine
good
In-Home Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Centralia, WANovember 22, 2018
great place to work. honestly wish i had more chance for advance and i would happily stay but unfortunately no room for growth with the company so have to move on.
Feeling of respect and working in competent environment
Attorney General Investigator / Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 20, 2018
flexible work hours, little if any supervision breathing down your neck. highly competent supervisors and managers. Respected for your contributions. job variety. friendly co-workers. really great benefits. good equipment to conduct your job. For a state investigator, room for advancement: Senior Investigator then Supervisor Investigator above my current position. ability to transfer to other investigation divisions is there, and common to prevent burn out, or just to make yourself more marketable. Highest paid investigator positions within the state compared to DOL, L&I, Insurance Commission, etc.
The state seriously needs to get a location premium pay for King County / Seattle location employees. Retention of employees is tough and very difficult to get the very best candidates.
Pros
A career path with an actual pension!
Cons
Pay for state employees in King County / Seattle makes it hard
Horrible
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Orting, WashingtonNovember 2, 2018
Management is unhelpful and unwilling to make change. Management turns a blind eye to the unlawful things brought to their attention. If you report management will make your working experience very stressful
Favoites were promoted
SOCIAL AND HEALTH PROGRAM CONSULTANT 2 (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAOctober 30, 2018
I didn't enjoy my job until the last 3-4 years. That was due to a change in who my supervisor was. Then my supervisor's boss was hired and the climate changed.

I left due to family issues that were happening in Arizona. But also did not agree with the direction my new position was heading.
Pros
I could telework and travelled a lot
Cons
That ended with new upper management
WA St. Ferries HRBP is Worst Job
HRBP 4 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2018
Line HR mgt @ WSF was the poorest in all my years in HR. Line mgr is a micro mgr; my way or highway mindset. Former Coast Guard. Prone to racist comments disguised as humor. Little or no training to prepare for doing job. No formal probationary performance/ progress feedback session. If you are not in agreement w/ line mgr, he will isolate team member. High turnover on HR team. People put in minimal 8 hrs & leave.

Avoid WSF HR....Worst professional experience!!!
Pros
Great Low cost benefits; super HR support staff; employees on Ferries are hard working & genuine.
Cons
Compensation over 20% below market for HRBP; HR line mgt the worst
Don't do it. Don't apply, don't accept position at WA OSPI.
employee (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 6, 2018
A typical day is filled with meetings in and out of the office, required travel, interaction with other state agencies, high volume of emails, phone calls, virtual meetings. Opportunities abound and the door is open to new talent but OSPI is an organization with a revolving door and new faces don't last long due to mismanagement and agency-wide bad practices. Extremely demanding workload with high expectations and low support, no work life balance. Employees engage in crafty political internal practices, absent leadership, gullible HR office that allows inmates to run the ship, repetitive problems never dealt with, zero transparency, closed door conversations, people running scared and afraid for their jobs and some just walk out. If you are a teacher or administrator who truly wants to make a difference in the lives of children and you are thinking of working there, keep looking and find another place to use your skills as an educator.
Pros
Good entry salary and benefits, prestige of working at the state level
Cons
Read complete review below, no employee parking, no security on staff, unsafe area due to high volume of drug addicts, homeless, and street people.
LMF Trucking & Transport LLC
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, WAOctober 5, 2018
This is a company my wife started. I assisted her with start up of additional trucks.

Repair trucks and organize work location. Time was spent away from my family
Pros
New experience
Cons
away from Family