State of Washington Employee Reviews

Government Job
Administrative Assistant 3 to SARU Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WADecember 11, 2018
It depends on which Department you work for but the Dept. of Corrections is a great way to connect with the public when they have questions or concerns. Many of the people that work for the state do a great job in helping you learn the routine of your new job.
I loved the independents
Home Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 4, 2018
I loved my job. I helped my client with everyday needs such as cleaning, shopping, dressing, decision making, driving her to appointments and doing laundry, dressing and hygine
good
In-Home Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Centralia, WANovember 22, 2018
great place to work. honestly wish i had more chance for advance and i would happily stay but unfortunately no room for growth with the company so have to move on.
Feeling of respect and working in competent environment
Attorney General Investigator / Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 20, 2018
flexible work hours, little if any supervision breathing down your neck. highly competent supervisors and managers. Respected for your contributions. job variety. friendly co-workers. really great benefits. good equipment to conduct your job. For a state investigator, room for advancement: Senior Investigator then Supervisor Investigator above my current position. ability to transfer to other investigation divisions is there, and common to prevent burn out, or just to make yourself more marketable. Highest paid investigator positions within the state compared to DOL, L&I, Insurance Commission, etc.
The state seriously needs to get a location premium pay for King County / Seattle location employees. Retention of employees is tough and very difficult to get the very best candidates.
Pros
A career path with an actual pension!
Cons
Pay for state employees in King County / Seattle makes it hard
Horrible
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Orting, WashingtonNovember 2, 2018
Management is unhelpful and unwilling to make change. Management turns a blind eye to the unlawful things brought to their attention. If you report management will make your working experience very stressful
Favoites were promoted
SOCIAL AND HEALTH PROGRAM CONSULTANT 2 (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAOctober 30, 2018
I didn't enjoy my job until the last 3-4 years. That was due to a change in who my supervisor was. Then my supervisor's boss was hired and the climate changed.

I left due to family issues that were happening in Arizona. But also did not agree with the direction my new position was heading.
Pros
I could telework and travelled a lot
Cons
That ended with new upper management
WA St. Ferries HRBP is Worst Job
HRBP 4 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2018
Line HR mgt @ WSF was the poorest in all my years in HR. Line mgr is a micro mgr; my way or highway mindset. Former Coast Guard. Prone to racist comments disguised as humor. Little or no training to prepare for doing job. No formal probationary performance/ progress feedback session. If you are not in agreement w/ line mgr, he will isolate team member. High turnover on HR team. People put in minimal 8 hrs & leave.

Avoid WSF HR....Worst professional experience!!!
Pros
Great Low cost benefits; super HR support staff; employees on Ferries are hard working & genuine.
Cons
Compensation over 20% below market for HRBP; HR line mgt the worst
Don't do it. Don't apply, don't accept position at WA OSPI.
employee (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 6, 2018
A typical day is filled with meetings in and out of the office, required travel, interaction with other state agencies, high volume of emails, phone calls, virtual meetings. Opportunities abound and the door is open to new talent but OSPI is an organization with a revolving door and new faces don't last long due to mismanagement and agency-wide bad practices. Extremely demanding workload with high expectations and low support, no work life balance. Employees engage in crafty political internal practices, absent leadership, gullible HR office that allows inmates to run the ship, repetitive problems never dealt with, zero transparency, closed door conversations, people running scared and afraid for their jobs and some just walk out. If you are a teacher or administrator who truly wants to make a difference in the lives of children and you are thinking of working there, keep looking and find another place to use your skills as an educator.
Pros
Good entry salary and benefits, prestige of working at the state level
Cons
Read complete review below, no employee parking, no security on staff, unsafe area due to high volume of drug addicts, homeless, and street people.
LMF Trucking & Transport LLC
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, WAOctober 5, 2018
This is a company my wife started. I assisted her with start up of additional trucks.

Repair trucks and organize work location. Time was spent away from my family
Pros
New experience
Cons
away from Family
Stressfull and demanding
Workfirst Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 18, 2018
Be prepared to be threatened with being fired, gossip, and two faced managers who claim to be there for you when you have a disabled child, and dealing with mental illness yourself. You will never hear of what a great job you did do, but be told to be better. No one should work under these conditions.
Pros
No dress code
Cons
politics, gossip, feels like high school drama daily
Did not pass my probationary period mixed signals from managers
Social Service Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Smokey Point, WASeptember 9, 2018
Very confusing training routine.
New manager was unable to be available due to her own training schedule.
Each trainer had a different training style which made it very difficult.
Prior evaluations were full of mistakes.
Pros
I liked my co-workers
Cons
varied training expectations and styles were confusing
Good place to start. Plan your exit early.
Information Technology/Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 7, 2018
Not told directly what to do but not given autonomy to complete tasks or take on task without approval. Training? Forget it. Teams work in silos, not sharing information. Communication from management - poor.
Great Pay
Information Technology Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WASeptember 7, 2018
You earn a live able salary working for the state of Washington however they do not appreciate their workers or listen to the community. They will not listen to new ideas. It is all political. The new training they give to new employees is impersonal. It does not prepare them for dealing with vulnerable populations.The workers do not understand eligibility and cannot explain the rules to people who apply.
Pros
Great Pay to support a family
Cons
No appreciation
My certifications were earned at the State of Washington
Executive Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  Camp Murray, WAAugust 20, 2018
A few of my certifications were earned at the State of Washington. I did work directly for the State on two previous jobs in my career. One as a consultant with Child Protective Services and one time at the Washington State Department of Emergency Management where I was the assistant to the State Director.
Real Estate Agent
Real Estate Associate/Agent (Former Employee) –  Sammamish, WAAugust 20, 2018
Serving the public is not a typical 9 - 5 position I had to be on more than 12 hours a day. Working as an independent contractor, your work determined your success. The more you performed the more people you would be representing.

The work culture was self made. I could be a total professional and continue to learn and have fun. The most enjoyment was meeting new people and enrichment in life.

The people I represented were always grateful for the hard work and dedication I showed in the given goal of relieve or joy when assisting people in selling or purchasing a home. A great deal of pride was prevalent.

The most difficult part of the job of independent contactor was the long hours it took to be successful. To be successful, one must be committed. Failure is not an option for me
Pros
Meeting new people and places
Cons
Long hours and a very strong self committment
Horrible
Manager (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 20, 2018
At the DOT, HR will lie, cheat and screw you over, do not go to work there. They are not what they seem. They will lie to your face and go behind your back and cut you up!
Good company to work for but managment could do better.
CONTRACTOR FOR DISABLED CHILDREN (Current Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 17, 2018
Company helps a lot of people in need but management was poor. Requesting more hours and/or new clients in an independent contracting role was difficult due to the lack of management.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Secretary Senior (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 6, 2018
The state is a great place to work. there is advancement in some division. depending on what you would like to do in the (State) work field is where the advancement will be..
Misguided management
Senior Fire Investigator (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WA 98926July 26, 2018
Leadership made management decisions based on personal whims without regard for the primary mission.

Flagrant disregard for the reasonable follow-up on cost recovery of tax payer's money.
Pros
Under previous leadership, the best job I have ever had.
Cons
New management eroding the program.
Professional and Committed Environment
Administrative Assistant/Government (Current Employee) –  Port Townsend, WAJuly 17, 2018
Customer and client focused. I have learned a great deal about the depth of employment related issues. Workplace culture is sincere and professional. The hardest part of the job is seeing customers suffering in their journey. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing success while changing lives.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Would love to see greater State Funding