State of Washington Employee Reviews

Secretary Senior (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 6, 2018
The state is a great place to work. there is advancement in some division. depending on what you would like to do in the (State) work field is where the advancement will be..
Misguided management
Senior Fire Investigator (Former Employee) –  Ellensburg, WA 98926July 26, 2018
Leadership made management decisions based on personal whims without regard for the primary mission.

Flagrant disregard for the reasonable follow-up on cost recovery of tax payer's money.
Pros
Under previous leadership, the best job I have ever had.
Cons
New management eroding the program.
Professional and Committed Environment
Administrative Assistant/Government (Current Employee) –  Port Townsend, WAJuly 17, 2018
Customer and client focused. I have learned a great deal about the depth of employment related issues. Workplace culture is sincere and professional. The hardest part of the job is seeing customers suffering in their journey. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing success while changing lives.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Would love to see greater State Funding
Helping people acheive a better quality of life was rewarding
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WAJuly 6, 2018
Working there was enjoyable and provided me on the job training to better help those I was serving. They produced competitive wages along with paid vacation. The supervisors were always willing to go out of their way to correct any problems that arose and it felt good to be apart of something bigger then just me
Hard job with great people
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAJuly 3, 2018
This is not a job for most people. Your are subjected to violence, blood, and extreme situations on a daily basis. What gets you through is your fellow officer's.
Pros
good pay, other officers
Cons
very violent job.
Depends on the Position
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAJuly 2, 2018
Depending on the position you are employed in will be determine how much you enjoy your job. If you are an inmate employed through the state it tends to be a rough type of job,
Challenging work place with opportunity to learn customer service and professionalism
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAJune 27, 2018
A typical work day consisted of maintaining product distribution and training for new Stylist. I learned how to manage students in a fast paced/timed environment, product control, enhanced leadership skills and organization. The culture in my job site was relaxed and self maintained; however, the hardest part of my job was dealing with ever changing security requirements. This allowed me the opportunity to grow my patience and flexibility in difficult situation and personalities. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with the clientele and my Stylists.
Pros
Walking distance
Good benefits, horrible work culture
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Snoqualmie, WAJune 15, 2018
I worked for the state for roughly ten years all over and I can say that it isn't worth it. You get paid less, you work more and forget trying to have a life because most of their facilities can't keep people and you get stuck working mandatory ot every other day. Not to mention that the training you and others get is lacking the actual skills you'll need to do the job. If you want to advance or become permanent it's a process that will definitely give you a headache.
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay, training work/life balance
Working as a care provider
Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Wapato, WAJune 5, 2018
I worked as care provider for a family member and found the support recieved by my case manager to be excellent and very available. The case manager was always there to answer any questions i had and provide guidance when needed
ethics
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAMay 31, 2018
I really don't want to write something bad about them but their poor work ethics combined with upholding their inane, arbitrary rules and over-all lack of communication writes itself.
Pros
they uphold their rules
Cons
Lack of communication
Excellent job opportunities
Nursing Care Consultant (NCC) (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAMay 30, 2018
My experience was that DSHS is very supportive of their employees and provided opportunities for advancement, education and flexible working schedules.
small group of dedicated people
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 17, 2018
My time there was challenging and rewarding. I learned how to respond to questions from the public; I do not give advice. I inform the person to consult an attorney. I enjoyed working closely with the admin. judges. My supervisor was a great role model of hard work and dedication. The hardest part of the job was limiting my candy and junk food intake.
Pros
working with very intelligent judges
Cons
government jobs take a little longer to catch up with newer technology
Extreme Preferential Treatment
RN Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WAMay 12, 2018
While working as an RN at Fircrest Habilitation Center, I experienced extreme preferential treatment given to staff members that were either related to or long time friends of management.
If you were not the same nationality as the majority of the staff and of the two tiers nursing management, then you were treated with hostility. Several other American nurses reported having the same experiences that I had during my time there
Downright blatant discrimination against me as an American woman. I did however appreciate Fircrest's desire to help their clients
Don't do it
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 10, 2018
Untheraputic environment. I would never recommend this place. Scary, unsafe. Prison like atmosphere. If you wantto be counselor, look elsewhere. Seriously.
Home Health care needs
HCA - Home Care Aid (Former Employee) –  Newport, WAApril 30, 2018
Help a client with meals, do the housework, transport client to doctors appointments or shopping, dog walker, Bathing, and any other activities that the client asked that was within my scope of pratice
WA State
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 29, 2018
The salary and benefits need to improve for the State of WA employees. Otherwise, State of WA is a good stepping stone into working for the government.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Poor salary and benefits
Enjoyed working as a contract for State of Washington Agencies
Expert Business/Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 28, 2018
Enjoyed working as a contract for State of Washington Agencies; loots of good opportunities/projects. I had a wide variety of types of work as a Business Analyst.
Poor Management
CPS (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 20, 2018
Hostile work environment, poor training. Always felt like they were waiting to catch you doing something bad instead of supporting you to do your job right. There was definite favoritism towards employees who never questioned anything and those who reported on their fellow CO workers. The upper management was not helpful and it was the least helpful.
Pros
Good benefits, good co-workers
Cons
No one leaves after they pass probation even if they do something against the rules.
no support from upper management, low pay, long hours, no support for extremely difficult work environment
Social Worker/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 15, 2018
Not enough training for the job, no safety in place for workers, low pay, little support from upper management, policy and procedure made in theory not successful or realistic in practice.
Job security but not much growth
Change Agent (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 13, 2018
Most of my experience has been satisfactory. The state has a culture of status quo and don't rock the boat. Old management styles exists and it's hard to be creative. They want to be progressive and an employer of choice, but fail to hold themselves accountable to the poor behaviors of leadership. They are conflict averse and it's hard to know who to trust. After10 years I'm ready to go back to private industry.
Pros
Job security and good medical coverage
Cons
Not progressive-too many managers want control ALL the time.