State of West Virginia Employee Reviews

Always room for advancement. Paid time off is excellent. Health benefits are the best you can get anymore. Retirement & job security are guaranteed.
Economic Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 2, 2018
I love working for the DHHR. It can be stressful, but it is very rewarding & I never feel under-appreciated by my superiors. I am able to help people who are in need in my community & morale stays fairly high.
Awesome place to work, great co-workers
Director of Security and Safety (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 20, 2018
Everyone worked well with others. Flexible hours, able to make up the hours missed at a later date in that pay period. Great work environment with the state museum on site, state archives also on site.
stressful, but has opportunities for advancement.
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJuly 27, 2018
stressful work with some rewards to see people improve their quality of life. Opportunity to work with a team of competent co-workers. Advancement for those who prove themselves.
Pros
opportunities for advancement. good challenge.
Cons
Stressful, large caseload.
More work than pay.
CSR/Driver Examiner/Title Clerk (Current Employee) –  Williamson, WVJuly 15, 2018
Many of the people that come into the DMV are defensive, whether they have a reason or not. A big part of my job is to turn that attitude about the DMV into a positive encounter. I have been doing that successively (for the most part, some people will NEVER be satisfied completely) for almost 16 years.
Pros
9-5, weekends off.
Cons
A lot of mental stress at times.
Great co-workers, poor pay.
SECRETARY II (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 15, 2018
After learning the state systems, the job is still a little challenging but can easily become monotonous. The people I work with are dedicated and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job is getting accustomed to the pay. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the co-workers, with a few exceptions (as with any employer).
Move on to a better job
Inspector (Current Employee) –  WVJune 13, 2018
The upper management are spineless and will not back up their employees needs. Politics drives the whole train, so if your job is dependent on anything the lawmakers do, move on. Do not waste your time. Management will do ruthless things to protect the jobs of their friends or themselves, and the citizens of WV do not matter.
Pros
Liked the people I worked with
Director of Data Systems (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 25, 2018
Very little, if any, chance for advancement. State is renowned for low wages and benefits are being reduced. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with fellow staff.
Pros
Relative autonomy
Cons
Low pay
great work environment
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 25, 2018
perfect environment that allows you to get out of it what you are wiling to put into it. Freedom to work on your strengths and plenty of support available
Pros
flex time
Cons
salary
tough
Building Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVApril 23, 2018
if the right people were in the right job, it could work smoothly. Hardest part of the job was trying to do what an unskilled person tried to get you to do .
Great co workers
Child Protection Social Worker (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaMarch 2, 2018
Great employees at this job they are like a family. High stress and quick burnout. I balance between work and Home. Heavy paperwork and not enough time to complete it for all your cases. It’s easy to be swamped and feel overwhelmed. No enough support staff to manage the enormous amount of paperwork and computer entry that is required daily.
Pros
Great place to work and you will never run out of work.
Cons
No balance between work and Home. Overtime and burden of workloads. High turn over in the department
great job]
Office Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 22, 2018
awsome
job loved it i grow as a worker and always trained others life long frieds and ill never for get the people and money i made i would refer a friend
Very Poor Management Led to Domino Effect
Hard Worker Who Got Crapped on (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 19, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of me doing everything thrown at me while others either took off, "worked from home" or were present, but didn't help much at all. I learned a lot in my time at the agency. I learned that no matter what happens, trust no one; including and especially management. The culture was laid back, had no structure, no motivation to improve processes of any kind, lack of communication, no training at all and it was every person for themselves. The hardest part of the job was trying to protect your work from being stolen by others and constantly fighting for what was right when the fight wasn't worth it. The most enjoyable of the job was teaching myself how to survive and eventually, walk away.
Cons
Management given role without the necessary skillset, Lack of communication, It's all who you know
Long hours little pay
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  BarbousvilleJanuary 27, 2018
Long hours with low pay. Poor management. Great benefits would work 80 hours a week. Staffing issues on all shifts. Very low pay for the kind of work performed
Slow to hire and to make change
Program Manager I (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 20, 2018
The hiring and advancement is slow. Many people have been in the same position for many years with no change. Change is difficult to make happen as the many people are protective of the knowledge they have and are very slow to share.
Pros
Cons
Lack of hange
Good Job
Out stationed Economic Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 18, 2018
Process Medicaid applications, SNAP and Long Term Care. Send out letters for verification. Verify Income and assets on cases. Check to make sure that they are who they say they are.
Pros
Time off and Holidays
Cons
Pay and Benefits
normal day
Financial Reporting Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 8, 2018
show up at work, manager comes in about 10am and drops more work off that is hers and now she has passed it to you. go to lunch and come back about 30 minutes late because you don't care. Then you stare at the computer screen until 5pm and time for you to leave. not a great place to work and stressful. not worth it.
Good job and benefits
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Wayne County, WVDecember 27, 2017
Working for the State is a great opportunity. The pay is not competitive to other state jobs or in private sector. Can advance to higher positions or opportunity in other fields.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay is not competitive as other states
Stable employment
Economic Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Ripley, WVNovember 26, 2017
Dealing with clients applying for state and federal benefits
processing paperwork and application
get all federal and state holidays and weekend off
Pros
Stable employment with competitive benefits package
Cons
slow process for advancement
Management sucks, benefits are great, pay IS LAUGHABLE
Transportation Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVOctober 31, 2017
While I enjoyed my time at the DOH, I went through 7 supervisors in 8.5 years. Management really drags the place down and morale is garbage with no real incentive to work any harder than to just keep your job. Everyone just passes the buck along to the next person. Great job to gain experience though and to use as a stepping stone to a brighter future.
Pros
Paid Holidays/leave
Cons
Did I mention management blows and pay sucks?
Hard Work
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Julian, WVOctober 8, 2017
Corrections is not a place for the weak. Hardest part of the job is the time on the clock. The people you work with will make the job a better place and make it hard to leave.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Long work hours