State of West Virginia

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Casual work environment. Everyone working together to accomplish the departmental objectives and goals.

Laid back but everyone does their part. Everyone does their little bit and we work together to accomplish the departmental goals. I also think that shift I works out well so I can enjoy my afternoons/evenings with my wife.

Benefits

Cons

Not many advancement opportunities

Low pay but great benefits.

The pay is awful and there is zero chance for a raise without passing state legislation. My boss is usually confused about what is happening. The other three guys working in the warehouse are fairly ignorant of anything outside of their whitebred bubble of existence and tend to say pretty offensive stuff on a regular basis.

Pros

Working with minimal supervision.

Cons

Lack of leadership, decent pay.

Typical state government internship

The job itself was great, lots of freedom as long as you did your job. No micromanaging. LOTS of driving and fieldwork. Fieldwork could mean hiking in the woods, working on the shoulder of the interstate, or worse yet, working in Mingo County anywhere.

Pros

Sometimes bosses take you to lunch, no micromanaging

Cons

low pay, can get pretty dirty sometimes

People you meet

I have been working for the State of WV for 21 years now. I love the job I do we do not get paid enough or apreciation for the kob we do for the state. We should get paid at least 20 thousand more a year

Pros

Good training

Cons

Low pay

I love my job most of the time and never get bored. I constantly learn new things. It also is secure and serves a purpose by helping the tax payers and keeping government honest.

Pros

Security

Cons

Pay

Leave a review. Help people like you.

The people I worked with were very nice and helpful.

The work was satisfying, but difficult to learn. Management was understanding, the workplace did have its challenges. I learned a lot about the highway department and enjoyed working with the appraisers who were contracted by the state.

Pros

Great employee benefits and holidays off. Good retirement.

Cons

My commute was close to an hour each way

Great Place to Work

I love my job. I have the best coworkers possible, and we always work as a team to complete surveys efficiently and effectively. Government work comes with a unique set of challenges, but the benefits far outweigh any cons.

Pros

Three-day weekends, flexible work days, awesome coworkers

Cons

Pay is not competitive

Na

On a typical work day for the State of West Virginia. I would start my day looking over my planner and making sure I completed all the necessary paperwork that had to be completed for that day. I would also make sure I reviewed which parolees were coming into the office to see me that day.

Pros

flexible schedule

Toxic

I Began working for the state and all was well for several months, but changed to the social services arena, and its broken. Youre not treated well by staff or management. The only reward is helping people.

Amazing To Work For

Working for the state of West Virginia was still one of the absolute best jobs I have ever had. It was such a pleasure working for the state, and I would do it again in a heart beat!

Jobs at State of West Virginia

See more jobs

Challenging

I enjoyed working for the state. however proper procedure and general information had to be researched and discovered on a regular basis. i was an office assistant II and I normally functioned as a secretary. What i learned is i take my job very serious and always go above and beyond expectations but not all are like this. It is very easy to feel taken advantage of in the workplace due to how diligent I am with my work.

Unprofessional Mid-level Management

Amount of Travel was misrepresented at Panel Interview. Mid-level Management's high school - like behavior left a lot to be desired , along with the Lack of "hands -on" Training. No real guidance from the Beginning. Don't expect management to be helpful or truly concerned about the Ultimate goal. But do expect a lot of backstabbing. As long as you don't mind dealing with this type of behavior every week, you will be fine.

Pros

Gov benefits

Cons

Everything Else

Good job

Very hard to get hired on full time. Start with being on call 24/7. You may be scheduled 0 hours for the week and you have to sit by the phone waiting for a call

Productive place

it is a bright member of the team and consistently exceeds the expectations set. it has effectively adapted to change and worked under some extreme circumstances yet still performed at a exceptionally high level.

Disrespectful severance

State offers no compassion whatsoever to situational issues that may arise in one's personal life. They aren't concerned with exceptions, nor do they handle severance fairly.

Good benefits

Job is good slow paced and doesn't require a huge amount of skills. Bosses are fantastic.... I was a temporary employee not eligible for benefits. It takes really long time to get hired.

Government with limitations

Worked as an assistant to case manager of a program for displaced workers for residents of WV. Guidelines were difficult to follow and the case manager did little to mentor individuals assigned to her. The opportunity for advancement was there as she was going to another job but did not train anyone interested in the position. The program was temporary

Never again.

If you MUST have a job, go ahead. Corrections in this state are in the toilet for a reason. State is about ten years behind Texas, for example. You’re pretty much set up for failure, you don’t get any accoutrements on your belt like a normal CO even if your federally qualified on everything. The inmates know this. When i started getting “forgotten” on post for up to 18 hours at a time is when i bounced.

Pros

It’s a job.

Cons

Everything else.

long hours for no benefit

long hours with sub par benefits. work is rarely appreciated no raises, salaries start on low end of scale regardless of education or experience. little to no chance of advancement.

Satisfied

Hours are crazy. Job can be stressful but rewarding. This career is great to get into if you are young. Retirement is great and the pay is not great but getting better.

Not family oriented or family driven. Not about productivity or success all about cronieism. If you don’t know anyone you won’t advance and it doesn’t matter how hard you work or good you are they will use you until they are done with you and then try to get rid of you to shut you up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of West Virginia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.5Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight