State of West Virginia

State of West Virginia Employee Reviews

United States127 reviews
I enjoyed working for the state. however proper procedure and general information had to be researched and discovered on a regular basis. i was an office assistant II and I normally functioned as a secretary. What i learned is i take my job very serious and always go above and beyond expectations but not all are like this. It is very easy to feel taken advantage of in the workplace due to how diligent I am with my work.
Amount of Travel was misrepresented at Panel Interview. Mid-level Management's high school - like behavior left a lot to be desired , along with the Lack of "hands -on" Training. No real guidance from the Beginning.
Don't expect management to be helpful or truly concerned about the Ultimate goal. But do expect a lot of backstabbing. As long as you don't mind dealing with this type of behavior every week, you will be fine.
Pros
Gov benefits
Cons
Everything Else
Very hard to get hired on full time. Start with being on call 24/7. You may be scheduled 0 hours for the week and you have to sit by the phone waiting for a call
it is a bright member of the team and consistently exceeds the expectations set. it has effectively adapted to change and worked under some extreme circumstances yet still performed at a exceptionally high level.
State offers no compassion whatsoever to situational issues that may arise in one's personal life. They aren't concerned with exceptions, nor do they handle severance fairly.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Job is good slow paced and doesn't require a huge amount of skills. Bosses are fantastic....
I was a temporary employee not eligible for benefits. It takes really long time to get hired.
Worked as an assistant to case manager of a program for displaced workers for residents of WV. Guidelines were difficult to follow and the case manager did little to mentor individuals assigned to her. The opportunity for advancement was there as she was going to another job but did not train anyone interested in the position. The program was temporary
If you MUST have a job, go ahead. Corrections in this state are in the toilet for a reason. State is about ten years behind Texas, for example. You’re pretty much set up for failure, you don’t get any accoutrements on your belt like a normal CO even if your federally qualified on everything. The inmates know this. When i started getting “forgotten” on post for up to 18 hours at a time is when i bounced.
Pros
It’s a job.
Cons
Everything else.
long hours with sub par benefits. work is rarely appreciated no raises, salaries start on low end of scale regardless of education or experience. little to no chance of advancement.
Hours are crazy. Job can be stressful but rewarding. This career is great to get into if you are young. Retirement is great and the pay is not great but getting better.
Not family oriented or family driven. Not about productivity or success all about cronieism. If you don’t know anyone you won’t advance and it doesn’t matter how hard you work or good you are they will use you until they are done with you and then try to get rid of you to shut you up.
The Governor's office had very little structure; lacked means of communication and devalued its employees when they disagreed. It was the worse work environment I have been in throughout my wonderful career. Despite the disfunction, my office was able to reach out to all West Virginians and accomplish many of our goals. I enjoy a challenge and thrive off helping others accomplish their goals. More importantly, I enjoy developing people. The hardest part of my job was to deal with some of my colleague's disregard for the non-political workers. Much of the disregard for sound leadership principles was painful. However, I developed many partners in government and in the public who believed in and supported the mission of my agency.
Pros
Working with the public, helping them resolve their problems.
Cons
No breaks and 7 day work weeks.
Working for the State gives you more opportunities at different locations.
I have had a great experience working with state personnel. I do get feel great with the states medical insurance security.
My job was in a department with a high turnover; my supervisor was hard to please; my co-workers were stressed and unhappy.

It really seemed to be a thankless job because so many of the job duties felt like one was just spinning their wheels, and not making any progress -- doing the same tasks over and over with very little results.

There were many wonderful employees there -- but we had very little time to get to know each other because of job demands. With only 1/2 hour lunches, most people ate at their desks while they continued to work.
Corrections isn’t for everyone. Great pay and benefits but not much for work life balance because you’re always at work. Very fast paced and stressful at times but also can be laid back and rewarding.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
You’re at work more than with your family
I loved working for Little Beaver State Park, it was an amazing experience. I had volunteered there for years prior to working there. I loved the work environment and m y coworkers became like a second family.
Pros
free boat rides
Cons
no lunch break and no benefits
They have the capability of becoming a relaxed work environment which would compensate for their low pay. They don't utilize flex time and relaxed dress code policies even though they have set up their office policies as such. Most roles have unlimited access to the offices, yet are restricted to an agreed upon work schedule. I believe if they let those in non supervisory roles the ability to work any time as long as its 40 hrs a week that would compensate for the high turn over. Setting 9-5 schedules for those in a supervisory roles would help cover the minimal face to face public interaction. Face to face public interaction will probably be even less when PATH becomes utilized. As for the dress code, we are already allowed to wear pretty flip flops and jeans however the color denim blue is reserved for Friday's only. Otherwise the dress code is relaxed. I am not sure why there is a restriction on the denim blue 4 days a week. I believe that if individual offices focused on production and we utilized the office policies already in play it would decrease the nit picky and petty work environment (which discourages people). Putting the focus back on the production that needs to be accomplished thus increasing productivity, lowing high turnover rates, and increasing longevity. The flexibility in the environment would make up for the low pay scale.
Pros
Everyone works together to problem solve.
Cons
Low pay
Love my job helping the community. I love meeting new people and have great people to work with. I love that I have a Mon-Fri schedule and holidays off. I love the amount of annual leave and sick leave that I can accumulate.
The pay is to low, the staff is mostly pleasant to work with there is a lack of accountability on the workers behalf as far as response time to clients needs
I love my job just wished it paid more. The people are great, management are professional and caring. They go the extra step for their staff and clients.
Pros
I love it. Great people.
Cons
Pay
I worked with a lot of older people so I have some good tips & it goes to show I can get along with whatever age or gender. Everyone was nice & very understand with me & the other workers.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of West Virginia. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight