State of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Typical work day
Oversee legal documents (Current Employee) –  2310 Darwin RoadApril 17, 2018
I would help with the distribution of important legal documents to local employees of the state of Wisconsin. I would also provide assistance to other employees.
Pros
allowed to not take breaks
Cons
Don't take breaks
II really like my job
Program Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mill Road Office Milwaukee WiMarch 29, 2018
My day is very busy.
I like being busy.
I have great employee
I have a nice boss
Hardest part of my job is that i am always needed and most of the time i am pulled to assist in all areas.
Hardest part is my pay..
Benefits
Cons
At this time we are short staffed. In the process of hiring
Stressful environment
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 20, 2018
Stressful environment is not for everyone. Dealing with the inmates was the easy part. Staff is cut throat and hard to work with. Seems to be a lot of drama
good place to work
Shipping and mailing clerk (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 14, 2018
I enjoy working for the state, except for low pay and no raises other than cost of living. To make more money you have to change jobs.
Great benefit package, and retirement.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low pay
Poor Management/Political Agendas
Payroll & Benefit Specialist Advanced (Former Employee) –  Madisoon, WIMarch 5, 2018
Not promoted based on work ethic or knowledge. All promotions are political in nature. Poor pay due to expensive benefits and required retirement contributions
Pros
Great Retirement
Cons
Poor pay
recommend
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Winnebago, WIMarch 4, 2018
fair job good benefits medium retirement there is job advancement, but its whom you know not how good you do your job. Start out in a field that you know well and start out in the highest position you can get.
Pros
stable
Cons
lack of advancement
I learned a lot about vmware technology
Information Systems Network Services Professional, (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 2, 2018
I was a contracted temp employee I didn't expect too much. Very completive with under trained individuals whom still needed to develop their customer service skills and overall knowledge of the technology.
Awesome people
Employment Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 2, 2018
Awesome benefits with fair pay. Opportunities abound but it takes a while. Some management needs to change but overall I enjoy the work, people and awesome balance with personal life.
Pros
Benefits, no dress code
Great place to work.
Policy and Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 25, 2018
Many great people and an atmosphere to grow in. There is always the opportunity to expand in your role and work your way to other departments in order to find your true place.
Flexible scheduling and great place to work
CAREGIVER (Current Employee) –  Home BasedFebruary 22, 2018
Excellent flexibility with scheduling hours and easy paperwork for time sheets submittal. You are your own boss andcan work from home. Easy accessibility of resources and pay rate is set by the company.
Pros
set your own hours
Cons

Want to know more about State of Wisconsin?

Ask a question
Retired for a Reason
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Irma, WIFebruary 9, 2018
Lincoln Hills School won the battle in the first round of closures in 2011, but lost the war when it came to providing adequate care to youth incarcerated for crimes in the state.

There were dual cultural issues - one of patronization toward the youth, and another of expecting staff to essentially "live" at the institution - that doomed the facility.

The location of the facility, which was originally framed as a positive, turned out to be a huge negative when people in the populated part of the state realized the institution was three hours away from them.

The frequent ordered overtime, the physical assaults on staff, the open defiance of youth, and the lack of staff cohesiveness all made for a toxic work environment which I would NOT wish on anyone.
Pros
Health care benefits, overtime, paid time off.
Cons
Frequent ordered overtime, petty staff, physical assault risk, cold temps during winter
Contract worker tough to summarize
Trust Fund Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 4, 2018
Contractors will exceed expectations. Regular workers (UNION) work at union speed and meet minimum expectations. If you want to work for the State of Wisconsin - get in the Union - don't contract.
A very well run organization.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 26, 2018
SWIB handles the retirement funds for most of the state's public employees and does an excellent job. I would recommend employment at SWIB to my colleagues.
Productive Place to be employed at
Advanced Income Maintenance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 17, 2018
Advanced Income Maintenance Specialist:
Responsible for eligibility determination, re-determination, and financial planning services for applicants participating in public assistance programs for FoodShare, Medical and Wisconsin Shares.
• Conduct interviews and verify relevant information.
• Answer questions regarding public assistance programs.
• Data entry into various computer systems.
• Initiate collateral contacts for information and verification.
• Maintain case records.
• Overseeing a high caseload and working under strict deadlines.
• Knowledge of IM program policies, procedures and laws.
• Verbal and Interpersonal communication skills.
• Identify priorities and research/solve problems independently.
Pros
flex time, salary is great.
Cons
health insurance is very high
nice
PeopleSoft Consultant (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJanuary 16, 2018
It was an excellent project. it was a new PeopleSoft Implemtation. i really enjoyed the working as a team and lot of new learning opportunities and excellent team.
Nice place to work
Mainframe Developer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 15, 2018
I had a good time working for client State of Wisconsin, good work/life balance, good professional learning.
On call support was fun, always kept me on toes over the weekend and long weekends
Poor management.
Ranger (Current Employee) –  WIJanuary 15, 2018
It's not what you know or what you can do. It's who you know and how well you schmooze. They expect you to train your supervisor who was hired knowing very little about the work, but is paid 50 percent more than you.
I did not work here
Member of multiple organizations (Former Employee) –  Red Cliff, WIJanuary 7, 2018
Good luck with the process. I worked personally with individuals that have worked for the State of Wisconsin and they all moved on to better positions within the federal government.
stimulating environment
Budget and Policy Analyst Advanced (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 5, 2018
Good place to develop skills, learn areas if expertise, and advance in several areas. Benefits are great. Stability of positions are favorable. Facilities are average
benefits
Cons
pay related to experience
Steady income
Public Service Commission - Consumer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 3, 2018
For a state job, I think I was placed in the best departments. Great Management and I learned a lot. There was always something to do and an ample amount of staff to help get it done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight