State of Wyoming Employee Reviews

State of Wyoming
Deputy Administrator (Current Employee) –  WyomingAugust 19, 2018
State of Wyoming can be a good place to work, when working for the right agency that has a leadership that cares about their staff. Great benefits, including retirement.
Pros
retirement
Cons
office politics can be stress
Struggling with lack of guidance
Other administrative (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 25, 2018
It's hard to get on with the state unless you know someone. We have not had a raise for years. With inflation, insurance cost share and retirement cost shares all going up - WE ARE GOING BACKWARDS MATT! My managers have no clue about my job. I have had to train myself. Everyone is so overworked they can't help you.
Pros
Low pay, keeps going down without raises, can't beat inflation and raising benefits cost
Cons
Managers are too buy, place run like a police station, only able to deal with emergencies.
Worst job i ever had
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 8, 2018
Started work with absolutely no training or idea of state standards. Operated forklifts and was required to use them to do my job without any training. The state is all about cronyism. Only way to get promotion is by being friends with the supervisor. Supervisors have absolutly no accountability.  I was required to drive my personal vehicle 15 miles a day on the clock without any compensation. If your a hard working honest individual who expects to be held accountable for doing wrong/unsafe acts this isnt for you.  If you do work here you will be reminded everyday how expendable and not worth anything you are. They will not empower you to become anything but a lazy idiot that should kiss butt and look the other way when something is going wrong.  I went into this job thinking i had a great oppertunity ahead of me. Instead im now im questioning my own integrity.  The state is all about being friends and never doing work. I wouldnt reccomend this job to anyone unless you like to brown nose , have no integrity or self respect.  Do yourself a favor and keep looking elsewhere.
Pros
Pretty laid back easy
Cons
Terrible pay no promotions
Do not recommend anyone work for this state!!!
Law Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYSeptember 27, 2017
The state of Wyoming has allowed a culture of Cronyism to exist, regardless of department. When a promotion becomes available, it is most likely going to a hunting buddy, drinking buddy, or spouse of a buddy. Management is encouraged to lie to staff for retention purposes and in most cases recruitment promises are never kept. People have moved hundreds of miles to this state and were fed a bunch of lies. Frankly, those who live in this state should be embarrassed of the direction the state agencies have been allowed to go.
Pros
Free Food, Overtime, Overtime, and some health insurance.
Cons
Make less now than when I started, State continues to cut benefits, Management Lies, Corruption.
The management is horrible
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYOctober 9, 2018
I would not recommend working for the state in the area I worked unless there was new management. The current management is horrible to work for if your different or not one of the good old boys
Great job security and benefits for a price
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYMarch 16, 2018
Love the people and benefits. Starting out wage sucks. The employees haven't had a raise for years (including cost of living raise even though medical keeps raising). Work really hard, but not if it crosses paths outside of your box. Very good about working with your flex time for outside appointments/ family.
allows for generous amount of leave and sick days
Caseworker State of Wyoming DFS (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYMay 7, 2018
Lots of internal politics. Culture in work place can be toxic at times. Multiple responsibilities and heavy work load. Unfair practices attached to opportunity to promote. Not what you know, but who. Talent is overlooked for popular candidates. Similar to a High School atmosphere.
Pros
Good leave time policy
Cons
Short staffing hinders taking any time off
willingness to help
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 23, 2018
was a family of people who were there to help people. Was very stressful at times but someone was always there to ask if you needed help. Benefits were awesome and management was flexible with family emergencies.
Workplace
Billeting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Guernsey, WYJune 7, 2018
Management needs a lot of work. The pay needs to increase badly. The people who stayed were nice an friendly. The work environment was safe. Lack of communication from management.
Pros
People are awesome and friendly.
Cons
Pay is bad an management is not helping with the situation.
Great office
Social Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYOctober 31, 2018
The office staff was easy to get along with, the job was hard. But great support. Anything I needed for support I received from the staff. I was on call some, but it was expected.
Pros
Government
Cons
Social work can be hard
Good job
Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYFebruary 2, 2018
Working for the State is a good, job. Low stress overall. Lots of paper work. Not very flexible on work hours and limited vacation time. Good benefits.
Pros
Low stress
Cons
No raises
Could be a great place to work
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 14, 2018
The management for UI is lacking. It feels more like a popularity contest than a fair working environment. The lower level employees are not very fairly compensated.
Freedom to work
WY Test Lead, WyCAN (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYAugust 16, 2018
Generally a sensible place to work, but state government has a bit of churn with the 4-8 year turn of governor. There is both stability and instability in that
Pros
8 hour day
Cons
low pay
Excellent place to work
Deputy Administrator Labor Standards (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 5, 2018
Good work environment and very collaborative, excellent leadership and employees committed to helping the public of Wyoming, fair pay and opportunities for advancement.
flexible, enjoyable, steady
WIC Tech, Assistant Vendor Monitor (Current Employee) –  WyomingMarch 20, 2018
The State of Wyoming offers their emloyees a fun, steady place of employment with fantastic, affordable health insurance benefits, and a nice retirement package.
had fun activities for the employess
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYJune 27, 2018
Working for the State of Wyoming was enjoyable, but the position I was placed in was not for me. It was boring and didn't stimulate my person like I had hoped.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
To monotinous
Great Career Builder
Youth Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Worland, WYJune 16, 2018
I am extremely grateful for my time with the State of Wyoming. It gives you an opportunity to mentor and guide young men and offer them hope for their futures. I am only choosing to leave due to aging parents and the need to relocate to Texas.
Cons
Long shifts
Allowed freedom to employ skills with reasonable supervision
Florida HRS 13 Unit Service Center Director (Former Employee) –  Wyoming Department of Community ProgramsMarch 19, 2018
Employment with the State of Wyoming offered opportunity and encouragement for professional growth; e.g., time to pursue Masters Degree, continued post-graduate courses; and opportunity and support to improve service delivery while expanding community network.
Pros
Allowed Flex Time To Pursue Masters Degree
Cons
Limited Community Resources Required Personal Enhancement Effort
Uneducated cutthroat co-workers
Highway Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYOctober 2, 2017
Supervisor was horrible. Favortism showed to favorites. New people and unliked people get all bad jobs. Constantly harrassed and put down by uneducated and jelous co-workers. People tell on you to gain favortism with boss. Some co-workers kiss bosses butt with gifts and invited to gatherings. During plow season you work whenever it snows. Actually had fun plowing. All the people there are friends that drink and hang together. They protect each other .No use in going to management about bad boss. All the bosses are dumb and not qualified for their job. They got their job from friends promoting them. Bottom of the barrel workers. Don't work there unless desperate. It's a place to work until you find a good job.
Pros
It's a job
Cut Throat politics, Zero room for advancement & VERY Low pay
Skilled Tradesman (Former Employee) –  WyomingAugust 21, 2017
If you prefer working with backstabbing co-workers and some serious politics than this SEVERLY Low paying organization could be an okay place to work. Keep in mind there is VERY Rarely any room to advance. Teamwork is non existent.
Pros
Low pay but steady paycheck
Cons
Lousy pay & benefits