State of Wyoming logo
State of Wyoming

State of Wyoming Employee Reviews

State of Wyoming insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Being able to help others.

Everything revolves around Cheyenne. Most of the admin. in Cheyenne have little field experience. Frustrating on the emphasis on paperwork and proper procedure rather than customers.

Pros

Able to make a difference

Cons

paperwork. No advancement opportunities or raises.

Office Politics and Favoritism

If I could give zero stars for each rating except work/life balance I would. Supervisors do not advocate for their workers. There is a lot of favoritism that goes on and office politics. It doesn't matter how hard someone works or the time they put in, they are not compensated for it with pay or promotions. Even when pay is increased, insurance premiums will go up and ultimately create a pay cut for most workers. Most of the hiring decisions are made off of who you know and not your qualifications. Because of this there is a lot of turn over in staff and no one ends up being properly trained. Poor behavior is tolerated and often times overlooked and even rewarded. You are made to believe that you are easily replaceable where they do not care if you stay or if you decide to quit. This creates a remarkably toxic work environment and plummets any sort of loyalty to the workplace. Poor management, horrible communication, lack of timeliness, and terrible culture are all huge factors to take into consideration if you are going to work for the state. The only pro that I could even fathom to include would be work/life balance. You get most major holidays off and essentially work "bankers hours." If you are in the right position you don't end up having to work much if any overtime or weekends.

Pros

Schedule

Cons

Pay, lack of promotions, workplace culture, favoritism

Great comradery. Agency took regular time outs to celebrate the people working there.

A typical day included greeting visitors/constituents, going over communications, reviewing and filing reports. The workplace culture was professional and had a sense of working together.The hardest part of the job was knowing that not all results were appreciated by the constituents.The most enjoyable part of the job was making constituents happy with the results.

Good is my boss and the customers,BAD is new higher ups

The job for 11 yrs was awesome, then in 2020 into 2021, we got new higher ups they are very unfair ,backstabbing, twofaced liars, that are not very nice. I retired early because of them, now I am going to struggle because I am making very little, makes me sad something needs to be done to protect my fellow custodians

Pros

My supervisor

Cons

Moving to says

Very flexible job

Overall I enjoyed working for the State of Wyoming. Everyday was different, you have to learn to deal with difficult people and confront them. Hardest part of the job was probably the paperwork, non-stop paperwork. Overall I enjoyed the flexibility and my office environment!

Pros

flexible, great benefits, something different daily

Cons

paperwork, no opportunity to advance.

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Nothing good about this company.

Horrible place to work. Like many reviews said it is like going to middle school when going to work. Everyone gossips about everyone and they will write u up for no reason. Plus they will fire you and not tell you why, so you can't improve on what's wrong. Pay wasn't bad but not worth the headache of dealing with incompetent management. Dreaded every day going into work. Do not work here. There is no housing or childcare open in Lander most of the time.

Cons

meh...some great people and some poor

managers did not ever really advocate for workers.a lot of turn over. travel was burdensome if you have kids.they tolerated poor behavior from people that had been there, but the same behavior from new employees was not tolerated.

The agency leader and all the manager are there to support you in everything you do. Always there to ask questions and want you to succeed. This is by far the best position I've had.

Welcoming customers and coworkerfs

Work is interesting and the customers I have are welcoming and appreciative. My coworkers are responsive to my questions and williness to work as a team.

Office Admin

Great place to work.. Department was like a small family.. Work environment was 💯 percent professional clean and positive.. No cons at all that I could think of..

Jobs at State of Wyoming

See more jobs

As stated

This should be an optional part. I understand why your site is doing it, but should not be a required field in anyway shape or form. Your requirement of my opinion on every company I have worked for is aggravating

Very Satisfying Position

I am currently the multi-disciplinary team (MDT) coordinator for Sheridan and Johnson County. I schedule MDT meetings for each case on a quarterly basis, facilitate the meetings, and take detailed notes in shorthand that I transcribe and file with the District Court in both counties. The most enjoyable part of my job is a feeling of making a difference in the lives of families due to my ability to reflect in great detail in my reports to the courts. The hardest part of my job is witnessing firsthand the often-times sad, unimaginable statuses of families I work with and realizing the extent of their hardships. Overall, I love my job but I am ready to work a more normal schedule.

Barber

It was an okay job. Got to meet alot of interesting people care about their lives. So I got to hear alot of interesting stories. He was not very good but the tips were.

Incompetence everywhere

If you are at all competent, you won’t fit in. Also, don’t fall for the hype over a pension. Those who are eligible for retirement can’t afford to retire on what they pension will pay, and they had a better deal than anyone is getting now.

Pros

A few good people

Cons

Terrible culture that promotes mediocrity

You answer phones and questions all day and you issue license to individuals that have the proper identification. You perform road tests for teens and adults .

Pros

Nice environment

Cons

I have no other comments

I do not have any other comments working at the State of Wyoming concerning the culture, environment, management and leadership, and the co-workers. Thank you.

Na

Having worked for four separate agencies, I can say it largely depends on both the specific agency and the particular section or department. As a general rule, however, working for the State offered many and interesting opportunities.

Don't expect a cost of living adjustment

Everyone seems to think State employees are overpaid, but we've had two pay increases since 2009. There are no bonuses or perks for going above and beyond your assigned duties. There are, however, yearly pay cuts because your benefit contributions increase. It does start out paying well and most places don't offer the benefits, like retirement.

Nice place to work. Great Management and overall great staff.

A typical day at work was very relaxing. It was just the right amount of pace for the job. I was able to get all my tasks done on time. I got along with all my co-workers and management was very easy to get along with as well.

Awful hostile very ill culture

I learned that working for the Wyoming State Hospital was the worst decision of my life. The experience left me shattered and questioning my abilities on all levels. I would never recommend anyone I love or care for have to endure such a sick and backwards culture.

Lots of politics going on.

Respect is important and top level staff need to remember that. It seems like respect for talent has gone out the window, and office politics is more prevalent. It's truly who you know where I work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Wyoming. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight