State of Wyoming
Happiness rating is 58 out of 100

State of Wyoming Employee Reviews

United States124 reviews

WLRC has given many people the opportunity to learn from those with mental, physical and psychiatric disabilities.

Working at WLRC continues to offer a vast opportunity to learn about and care for people who are not always able to verbalize their needs, and is an amazing experience. Fine tuning assessment skills based on knowledge and trust has been truly rewarding, and an inspiration to me. Meeting individuals who have dedicated their lives to helping these a residents is enspiring, and creates a veteran knowledge and a family like atmosphere.

Pros

Wages, Benefits, Self-scheduling, Residents

Cons

Short staffing, commute from surrounding area, Covid Restrictions.

Some flexibility

There is some flexibility working for the state, at least as a social services worker. I don’t feel I get much support from management and there is no room for growth unless you suck up to the state office.

Pros

Some flexibility

Cons

No room for growth and pay is terrible

State of Wyoming insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Dead end position, poor managers

There is no growth allowed at the state unless you live in Cheyenne. There are no increases allowed, you will have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. The wages are low and even with the raise expected it will still be well below market level. We have been short staffed for a year and have to cover multiple jobs without any recognition, in fact you will never get your own work done. You work all year to achieve great results, exceed all the goals you are given and get no recognition, movement up in position, or improvement in your wages, that will all go to your manager. The local managers seem to only be in the office if they have to be on a meeting, otherwise they are gone and you have to do their work on top of yours, cover the staff not in the office and they wonder why you are burnt out. They are now saying they will not hire back the empty positions, it will be a no win situation!! Good starting position to put on your resume is about the best thing you can take from employment here. Trying to find new employment.

Not what you think when you get a state job

Act like all benefits are amazing when I can't even pay my bills and see a doctor or psychiatrist or a counselor. No one actually follows any rules except when state is around and everyone knows they are coming in advance, just get it done type of attitudes, management and advancement are a big joke I could run this place better. I hate working here and m currently looking for another job. Food is a big joke I get food poisoning regularly and they wanna charge 7 a meal but I wouldn't pay 3 for the little servings I get.

Pros

Insurance, retirement

Cons

Breaks suck, lunch breaks suck, pay sucks and benefits suck as does the retirement

Cliques and backstabbing is big problem.

Those with a title are always right and the workers are wrong. management never questions and does not try to get to the bottom of a problem if the supervisors don't think they are revered they get vicious

Great people

Very helpful, decent pay, good work enviroment hours. Supervisors train very well only downfall would be all the mad customers yelling ar you all the time.

Pay is terrible compared to other states.

As a case worker, the pay is absolutely terrible compared to other states. Legislature does not care about you and turnover in this job is very high. Work load is high and very very stressful.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Pay is terribel

Objectively a non competitive employer

Pay is low, raises are non existent, insurance is expensive. You can very easily find online articles about the plight of the Wyoming state employee. There are good people in good departments, but support from higher levels is lacking.

Time to move on...

I've heard the mantra "we need to do more with less" for the past 15+ years. The case/work load continues to increase as well as case complexity. The State Office is out of touch with reality...as long as it looks good on paper, doesn't mean it's going to effectively work in the field... hence the high turn-over rates. Zero room for growth or advancement, poor support by management and ZERO effort to retain experienced employees.

Pros

Flexible work schedule

Cons

Work overload, no growth or advancement

Good benefits

Stressful job, large caseload. End of day large sense of accomplishment. Feeling of helping families. Good team atmosphere and support. Good benefits vacation and sick leave.

Pros

Penision, insurance, vacation pay and longevity pay

Cons

Legislature determines pay rate, stressful

Steady Employment

I've worked for the state for a long time. It is fine. The work is steady, but kind of dull. There is not a lot to motivate good workers because there are no raises unless you switch jobs.

Office Politics and Favoritism

If I could give zero stars for each rating except work/life balance I would. Supervisors do not advocate for their workers. There is a lot of favoritism that goes on and office politics. It doesn't matter how hard someone works or the time they put in, they are not compensated for it with pay or promotions. Even when pay is increased, insurance premiums will go up and ultimately create a pay cut for most workers. Most of the hiring decisions are made off of who you know and not your qualifications. Because of this there is a lot of turn over in staff and no one ends up being properly trained. Poor behavior is tolerated and often times overlooked and even rewarded. You are made to believe that you are easily replaceable where they do not care if you stay or if you decide to quit. This creates a remarkably toxic work environment and plummets any sort of loyalty to the workplace. Poor management, horrible communication, lack of timeliness, and terrible culture are all huge factors to take into consideration if you are going to work for the state. The only pro that I could even fathom to include would be work/life balance. You get most major holidays off and essentially work "bankers hours." If you are in the right position you don't end up having to work much if any overtime or weekends.

Pros

Schedule

Cons

Pay, lack of promotions, workplace culture, favoritism

Doesn't Matter

Doesn't matter what you do or how well you perform your job. Once you have a year in, it is almost impossible to get fired, so the only motivation to do your work well is personal.

Great comradery. Agency took regular time outs to celebrate the people working there.

A typical day included greeting visitors/constituents, going over communications, reviewing and filing reports. The workplace culture was professional and had a sense of working together.The hardest part of the job was knowing that not all results were appreciated by the constituents.The most enjoyable part of the job was making constituents happy with the results.

Being able to help others.

Everything revolves around Cheyenne. Most of the admin. in Cheyenne have little field experience. Frustrating on the emphasis on paperwork and proper procedure rather than customers.

Pros

Able to make a difference

Cons

paperwork. No advancement opportunities or raises.

Good is my boss and the customers,BAD is new higher ups

The job for 11 yrs was awesome, then in 2020 into 2021, we got new higher ups they are very unfair ,backstabbing, twofaced liars, that are not very nice. I retired early because of them, now I am going to struggle because I am making very little, makes me sad something needs to be done to protect my fellow custodians

Pros

My supervisor

Cons

Moving to says

Very flexible job

Overall I enjoyed working for the State of Wyoming. Everyday was different, you have to learn to deal with difficult people and confront them. Hardest part of the job was probably the paperwork, non-stop paperwork. Overall I enjoyed the flexibility and my office environment!

Pros

flexible, great benefits, something different daily

Cons

paperwork, no opportunity to advance.

Nothing good about this company.

Horrible place to work. Like many reviews said it is like going to middle school when going to work. Everyone gossips about everyone and they will write u up for no reason. Plus they will fire you and not tell you why, so you can't improve on what's wrong. Pay wasn't bad but not worth the headache of dealing with incompetent management. Dreaded every day going into work. Do not work here. There is no housing or childcare open in Lander most of the time.

Cons

meh...some great people and some poor

managers did not ever really advocate for workers.a lot of turn over. travel was burdensome if you have kids.they tolerated poor behavior from people that had been there, but the same behavior from new employees was not tolerated.

Welcoming customers and coworkerfs

Work is interesting and the customers I have are welcoming and appreciative. My coworkers are responsive to my questions and williness to work as a team.

Office Admin

Great place to work.. Department was like a small family.. Work environment was 💯 percent professional clean and positive.. No cons at all that I could think of..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Wyoming. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight