State of Wyoming Employee Reviews

The management is horrible
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYOctober 9, 2018
I would not recommend working for the state in the area I worked unless there was new management. The current management is horrible to work for if your different or not one of the good old boys
Freedom to work
WY Test Lead, WyCAN (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYAugust 16, 2018
Generally a sensible place to work, but state government has a bit of churn with the 4-8 year turn of governor. There is both stability and instability in that
Pros
8 hour day
Cons
low pay
had fun activities for the employess
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYJune 27, 2018
Working for the State of Wyoming was enjoyable, but the position I was placed in was not for me. It was boring and didn't stimulate my person like I had hoped.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
To monotinous
Great Career Builder
Youth Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Worland, WYJune 16, 2018
I am extremely grateful for my time with the State of Wyoming. It gives you an opportunity to mentor and guide young men and offer them hope for their futures. I am only choosing to leave due to aging parents and the need to relocate to Texas.
Cons
Long shifts
Workplace
Billeting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Guernsey, WYJune 7, 2018
Management needs a lot of work. The pay needs to increase badly. The people who stayed were nice an friendly. The work environment was safe. Lack of communication from management.
Pros
People are awesome and friendly.
Cons
Pay is bad an management is not helping with the situation.
allows for generous amount of leave and sick days
Caseworker State of Wyoming DFS (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYMay 7, 2018
Lots of internal politics. Culture in work place can be toxic at times. Multiple responsibilities and heavy work load. Unfair practices attached to opportunity to promote. Not what you know, but who. Talent is overlooked for popular candidates. Similar to a High School atmosphere.
Pros
Good leave time policy
Cons
Short staffing hinders taking any time off
great long term employment
Child Care Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYMay 4, 2018
Currently employed at DFS, State of Wyoming.
A great job working with clients to hopefully guide them into a place of being self sufficient.
High demand, high stress, yet very rewarding.
Development opportunities
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Lander, WYApril 29, 2018
Experience builder and contributing to being a diverse person. The team is strong and supportive. People are focused on others well-being. Convenient location.
Could be a great place to work
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 14, 2018
The management for UI is lacking. It feels more like a popularity contest than a fair working environment. The lower level employees are not very fairly compensated.
Struggling with lack of guidance
Other administrative (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 25, 2018
It's hard to get on with the state unless you know someone. We have not had a raise for years. With inflation, insurance cost share and retirement cost shares all going up - WE ARE GOING BACKWARDS MATT! My managers have no clue about my job. I have had to train myself. Everyone is so overworked they can't help you.
Pros
Low pay, keeps going down without raises, can't beat inflation and raising benefits cost
Cons
Managers are too buy, place run like a police station, only able to deal with emergencies.

Want to know more about State of Wyoming?

Ask a question
willingness to help
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 23, 2018
was a family of people who were there to help people. Was very stressful at times but someone was always there to ask if you needed help. Benefits were awesome and management was flexible with family emergencies.
flexible, enjoyable, steady
WIC Tech, Assistant Vendor Monitor (Current Employee) –  WyomingMarch 20, 2018
The State of Wyoming offers their emloyees a fun, steady place of employment with fantastic, affordable health insurance benefits, and a nice retirement package.
Allowed freedom to employ skills with reasonable supervision
Florida HRS 13 Unit Service Center Director (Former Employee) –  Wyoming Department of Community ProgramsMarch 19, 2018
Employment with the State of Wyoming offered opportunity and encouragement for professional growth; e.g., time to pursue Masters Degree, continued post-graduate courses; and opportunity and support to improve service delivery while expanding community network.
Pros
Allowed Flex Time To Pursue Masters Degree
Cons
Limited Community Resources Required Personal Enhancement Effort
Great job security and benefits for a price
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYMarch 16, 2018
Love the people and benefits. Starting out wage sucks. The employees haven't had a raise for years (including cost of living raise even though medical keeps raising). Work really hard, but not if it crosses paths outside of your box. Very good about working with your flex time for outside appointments/ family.
Excellent place to work
Deputy Administrator Labor Standards (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 5, 2018
Good work environment and very collaborative, excellent leadership and employees committed to helping the public of Wyoming, fair pay and opportunities for advancement.
Worst job i ever had
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 8, 2018
Started work with absolutely no training or idea of state standards. Operated forklifts and was required to use them to do my job without any training. The state is all about cronyism. Only way to get promotion is by being friends with the supervisor. Supervisors have absolutly no accountability.  I was required to drive my personal vehicle 15 miles a day on the clock without any compensation. If your a hard working honest individual who expects to be held accountable for doing wrong/unsafe acts this isnt for you.  If you do work here you will be reminded everyday how expendable and not worth anything you are. They will not empower you to become anything but a lazy idiot that should kiss butt and look the other way when something is going wrong.  I went into this job thinking i had a great oppertunity ahead of me. Instead im now im questioning my own integrity.  The state is all about being friends and never doing work. I wouldnt reccomend this job to anyone unless you like to brown nose , have no integrity or self respect.  Do yourself a favor and keep looking elsewhere.
Pros
Pretty laid back easy
Cons
Terrible pay no promotions
Busy, challenging and rewarding place to work
Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 6, 2018
I really liked working as a Risk Analyst for the State, however it was a Super busy office, and they could use one or two more employee's to function in a fast paced environment. I learned a ton as a Risk Analyst, and the manager was very nice.
Good job
Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYFebruary 2, 2018
Working for the State is a good, job. Low stress overall. Lots of paper work. Not very flexible on work hours and limited vacation time. Good benefits.
Pros
Low stress
Cons
No raises
Horrible place for nurses
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Evanston, WYNovember 22, 2017
I would never recommend a nurse work for the State. The Leaders in Cheyenne have no clue, they are office people that have never stepped foot in a health care facility, and they do not trust their leaders in the facility to make things right. I know my leader has tried and tried to make things better only to be stopped by those that have no clue. There is not enough staff in the facilities.
The carreer was enlighting
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Lusk, WYOctober 3, 2017
The work environment was average as well as the job. The drive to an airport was two hours or more to get to. There wasn't much to do as far as entertainment.
Pros
Learned new trade
Cons
Desolate surroundings