Steak N Shake Employee Reviews

Found 3,956 reviews matching the search See all 3,977 reviews
Energy Filled Place to Work
Drive Thru Window Order Taker (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INOctober 17, 2018
I liked working at Steak N' Shake because it was fast paced and there is always something to do. I was able to pick my schedule when needed and was able to pick up as many hours as I wanted when needed.
Steak ‘n Shake a wonderful place to work Very friendly
Fountain Operator (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAOctober 16, 2018
Always come on time
Never be late
Stay true to you and others
Treat others how you wanna be treated.
It was a delight working place people were very nice and considerate to costumers
Easy service
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAOctober 16, 2018
Crew is fast paced and work hard to keep up your standards.
hardest part was probably the management at the time. the best part was meeting new people and keeping a smile
It's a great opportunity for teens or part time, there is plenty room for advancement fun atmosphere
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  JacksonvilleOctober 16, 2018
I work for SNS for over 5 years, as a production worker part time. I loved the place. The food is what drawed me.i love the food and is currently employed there. Early during my employment, I was approached with an opportunity to advance. I accepted and began training.I was greatful. I thought I would never get that chance. The process, however.....took forever.
Pros
40% off
Cons
No overtime
Production Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 16, 2018
It depends on who you work with steak'nshake it's a nice place to work but sometimes the management sucks you have to beg 4 arrays do more work than what you're supposed to do do things that shouldn't be in your job description but you still have to do it because management says you have to
Fast paced fun environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 15, 2018
Wish I didn’t have to leave but was forced to for medical reasons. I loved my coworkers more than anything management was also pretty cool. Steak ‘n Shake was one of my favorite jobs
Pros
Free food coworkers and pay
Fast paced
Server (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 15, 2018
Steak and shake was an okay place to work. I struggle with getting more hours and cannot seem to get any. So my main concern is that when you ask for something is it overlooked or is it not important.
Never again
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INOctober 15, 2018
Co workers were fine. Management sucked. You always had to track someone down to find out what was going on. I never even got my training finished. It wasn't worth the time.
Pros
Co workers
DONT work here...
Server (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAOctober 15, 2018
Advertisement for server position is misleading! In the advertisement it shows $15 per hour for an AM or PM server. Once I was given a job offer as a server , I was told by management that pay would be $2.13 an hour plus whatever tips you make. When I began training, manager told me I would not be paid for training and that it takes up to three to five days for training. If training doesn’t work out you literally end up wasting your time & money buying the required shoes & shirt. I’ve never worked for a restaurant that did not pay you for training. The establishment is literally hiring people every week. If your looking for a job, I would avoid this place! Clearly they are not trying to keep people.
Pros
Employee discount for meals
Cons
Low pay and no benefits
Stressful and not worth it.
Drive Thru Operator (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INOctober 15, 2018
The only benefit is 40% off food and ONLY when working. No free meals and no breaks for anyone over 18 unless the managers decide to be nice. While working there you have to pay to use foam cups even if you are only getting water. Never ending cars in the drive through and as a drive through operator, even though you have no control on how fast food is prepared you are yelled at and blamed. People often request for you to help them even if you are busy and if you don't you are to blame. Management is fair depending on the manager on shift. Often, after hours has low staff and no dedicated shake maker which makes for a more stressful uncomfortable environment. If someone orders 7 shakes through the window and no one is on shift to make shakes, you have to make all 7 along with taking orders and cashing people out while they wait there mad that their food is taking forever. The production often throws fries in upside down and you will be yelled at by the customers for that reason. Overall it is a poor stressful workplace. You cant use your discount at any other location and the discount must be used when you are working. You are never guaranteed a break and if you are, its uncertain when so if you order food, it could be sitting getting cold for over an hour.
Pros
40% off food while working, decent first job pay
Cons
No guarenteed breaks, bad discount regulations, poor management and coworkers, stressful nonstop
It was ok for a fast food gig
Overnight Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 15, 2018
Severs don't split tips. I was responsible (being an overnight employee) to do both kitchen and server work. Lots of freedom in the overnight shift (no general/assist managers)
Fun
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 15, 2018
I learned a lot of good things working at steak n shake met a lot of people I grew to love gained regulars I grew to care for as well friendly staff for the most part management was always changing
Pros
Shakes regulars and tips
Cons
Management turnover slow days
mediocre at best
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 14, 2018
Steak n Shake was a nice place to work for a little while, but not good for long term. Absolutely no benefits and they treat the workers with little respect. But easy job and it pays the bills.
Pros
lovely co workers
Cons
no benefits
Unprofessional work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 14, 2018
Location was short staffed and management will throw you around and have unfair expectations of you in order to make ends meet. GM is unprofessional and biased. Would not recommend that anyone work here.
Pros
50% discount on food
Cons
Few breaks, hours vary week to week, unprofessional work environment
Going down with the ship
Assistant Manager, Trainer (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INOctober 14, 2018
This location has had several management changes over the last 10 years. Some of the employees truly love their job and go above and beyond. Most of the employees do as little as possible and waste time before they go home.
Fun but poorly managed
Operations supervisor (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 14, 2018
Upper management never took care of store managers so they all left. Lost 6 managers in less than a year and will soon lose more. Job isn't too difficult just poorly managed.
Decent work
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 14, 2018
Good pay because I was allowed to work overtime hours every week. This was my first job and I worked for them for 5 years. By the end of my time there my title was operations specialist. If you show interest much room to advance.
Pros
Management opportunities, discount on meals, overtime
Cons
people call off alot, fast pace, busy
The overall job was fine and would recommend if the management was good.
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Camby, inOctober 13, 2018
We had poor management. They would talk about everyone, unorganized , they would pick favorites and harass you. Threaten your job over others actions.
Pros
Tips were okay
Cons
No opportunity to move up / poor managers
Very fast paced
Server/Drive-thru operator/Dress person/Fountain (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILOctober 13, 2018
The Steak n Shake I worked at was a very fast paced and often stressful job. As long as your coworkers did their jobs as best as they could, it was tolerable. However, employees were hired and fired/quit so rapidly, it was almost always a stressful environment.
Pros
Food discounts
Pretty good
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 13, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at steak n shake and sometimes miss it. It was a fun and pleasant place to work. I quit because it was affecting my health. Too much stress.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steak N Shake. Our community is ready to answer.

41K
31.2K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight