Steak N Shake Employee Reviews

Typical work day
Server (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 17, 2018
I work many different people such as co workers and customers. I have learned what things should be done in the store and what should be done on a daily basis. I love my job because of the customers and being able to talk to them and treat them the way I would want to be treated if I went inside of a restaurant. The hardest part of my job is not being able to get out on time and having to worry about people not coming in. I have learned how to understand why people didn't come in and get over it.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not getting out on time, People calling in
Excelente ambiente de trabajo.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 17, 2018
Excelente ambiente de trabajo, posee un buen equipo laboral, asignan horas sin importa overtime.
Pros
Excelente horas.
Cons
No son compresivo en cuanto a bonificaciones a empleados.
Welcome to Steak, We're Out of Shake
Drive Thru Cashier (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJanuary 17, 2018
Terrible, irresponsible place to work or eat. Staff was rude and impatient, positions were manned by employees with almost no training, and while I worked there, I was a legal minor, yet was working 12+ hour shifts with no breaks. You do not leave at your clock out time, nothing is cleaned properly, and cooking times are beyond ridiculously long. Do not work here if you have any self respect.
Cons
Bad management, bad cleaning, poor training
Poor managment
Server (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 16, 2018
When I worked here, I was a server Servers at the time were only paid $4.05. The servers were taken off the floor to wash dishes. We would be off the floor hours out of our shift and wouldn't be paid regular wage.
Poorly managed
Server (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COJanuary 16, 2018
Awful management. Don't do anything to help their employees out. Employees get paid the bare minimum and have to do 4 people's jobs. Wouldn't recommend anyone work here
Pros
Good tip money
Cons
Everything else
Poor management
Server (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 16, 2018
You weren’t allowed to get a break unless you smoked cigarettes. Management was more focused on making friends than employees. Drama, drama, drama!!!!
Decent company in right location
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJanuary 16, 2018
I enjoyed working for Steak and Shake as a company not the particular location and under the management however it does have much room for advancement in which I was looking to make a career in a lifestyle change but it didn't happen
Fun Place to work and eat
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Centerville, UTJanuary 15, 2018
Too bad its closing. The management team is great. Sometimes the crew is problematic (High School Drama). but the work is easy, the atmosphere is laid back.
Pros
good food
it was decent
Shake Maker (Former Employee) –  Rolla, MOJanuary 15, 2018
it was an alright job i had a few complications with the employees, other than that it was a pretty good job it was always very busy if i was lucky i would maybe two days off every two weeks
Fun Fast Paced Work Place .
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  East Peoria, ILJanuary 15, 2018
Steak N Shake Is An Overall Great Company To Work For . Especially For Your First Job . The Work Environment Is Fantastic As Well As The Worker's . Overall Good Company To Work For .
Pros
Employee Discount
Great first time job
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Paris, TNJanuary 15, 2018
Steak N Shake is a fun place to work for a temporary job. I enjoy the staff and management. I learned that how to speed up on my orders and that when I make a mistake it can greatly effect my tips. the hardest part about working at Steak N Shake is how fast you have to do everything and that some nights you can make 40 or so in tips and some 10. The most enjoyable part about my job is the hours I get and how friendly the staff is.
Pros
fast-paced and friendly staff
Cons
Undependable nights
Cut throat
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJanuary 15, 2018
Manager's don't work together ,no follow up for. The general manager. No team work with workers, favoritism among the manager's and workers. Leaving for another job
Pros
Discoubtd6
Cons
No advancement
Steak N Shake
Server (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, INJanuary 15, 2018
Working in this restaurant allowed me to attend college full-time as well. The atmosphere was fast-paced with an emphasis on utmost customer satisfaction.
Horrible
Service Trainer (Former Employee) –  MOJanuary 15, 2018
A great place to work 20 years ago. Now it's an absolute disaster. It's dirty, bug infested, poor upper level management, no customer service, no training. Very sad to see the horrible decline of a one time favorite.
fast paced
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHJanuary 14, 2018
I loved working at steak n shake but leaving drama at the door doesn't always register with people. I loved the customers and being able to provide good food fast in order for them to leave happy.
Not a fan of SNS
Service Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 13, 2018
I worked at this restaurant for almost 4 years and the culture needs seriously improved. Management has the "X-Theory" mindset and there is no room for input from employees.
Review on career
Waiter/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OHJanuary 13, 2018
A typical day at work involved, waiting tables, cleaning, and seating people. I have learned how to work with others and be a well rounded individual.
Pros
The people and the management
Cons
No breaks and sometimes overworked
Drive Thru Attendant
Drive Thru Cashier/Dress (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 13, 2018
It was an overall good job. It was fast paced during peak hours, but slow in others. I for the most part enjoyed my job there. The managers were cool & employee's weren't bad. The headsets for drive thru were hard to hear the customers at times.
Pros
Good environment & discount meals
Cons
Headsets were hard to hear at times
Productive work place.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Monaca, PAJanuary 13, 2018
I just suggest you don’t get close with anybody. They start to talk to you like you aren’t nothing. Managers tend to do favoritism and give certain people way more hours than others. Favoritism is real at store 693
Pros
It a job
Cons
Sometimes 30 minutes breaks.
steady business
Server (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJanuary 12, 2018
I learned a lot about customer service and how to work together with others to make sure every customer was taken care of. i learned how to take care of multiple tables in a timely manner.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
when slow the tips weren't good

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steak N Shake. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7