Steak N Shake Employee Reviews

Found 4,118 reviews matching the search See all 4,141 reviews
Toxic Work Environment
Drive Thru Operator (Former Employee) –  Dahlonega, GANovember 24, 2018
I would never recommend working here for more than a year. Managers are tyrannical, workplace is toxic, coworkers are malicious. Where so worked I received a single raise from minimum wage to 8.50. That was the only benefit I received and it was the first month I was there because of how fast I learned. Other than that, despite working almost 50 hours a week and knowing every station but one, that one being service, I was never given an additional raise. My coworkers, even with their malicious attitudes, said I was one of the most experienced, yet the managers paid no mind to it. Half the managers rarely work when they’re there and the owner is never at the store.
Pros
40% Employee Discount for food
Cons
No breaks, No paid vacation, No benefits, unhappy workplace, low pay
DONT work here...
Server (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAOctober 15, 2018
Advertisement for server position is misleading! In the advertisement it shows $15 per hour for an AM or PM server. Once I was given a job offer as a server , I was told by management that pay would be $2.13 an hour plus whatever tips you make. When I began training, manager told me I would not be paid for training and that it takes up to three to five days for training. If training doesn’t work out you literally end up wasting your time & money buying the required shoes & shirt. I’ve never worked for a restaurant that did not pay you for training. The establishment is literally hiring people every week. If your looking for a job, I would avoid this place! Clearly they are not trying to keep people.
Pros
Employee discount for meals
Cons
Low pay and no benefits
fast paced
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 12, 2018
You are on your feet from the time you walk in the door till you leave to go home. You get one unpaid 30 minute break. You often work 8-10 hour shifts. You could get your break some days as soon as you walk in the door (leaving you with the rest of your shift with no break at all) or you could get your break at the end of your shift or not at all. I have learned a lot of patience with this job as well as the ability to deal with several different personalities in a very tight area at the same time. One of the hardest parts of the job is the hours of operation. and the scheduling. You don't work a straight shift, your hours bounce from one day to the next constantly. Often working 7-10 day stretches with no days off. One of the most enjoyable parts of this job is meeting different people.
Pros
some good managers
Cons
no benefits, no free meals, changing schedules, no time off
Fun but extremely stressful at times
Service Trainer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63136August 5, 2018
This will always have a special place in my heart because it was my first job and the environment was very family-like. I enjoyed myself there and there were ample opportunities to get a raise or either a promotion. Sometimes it got to be a little too stressful just for the simple fact we were always under staffed. Also felt like the previous manager wasn't very professional in dealing disciplinary actions or handling the restaurant and let a lot of things get personal. Overall it was a pretty cool job but I wouldn't recommend it because it's not enough for the costs of living.
Horrible to work at, but nice employees
Production Trainer/Dressing Table & Fountain (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 27, 2018
My co-workers are great people. a few management figures in the store have no idea how to run the business and mistreat me and my other co-workers. i work very hard day in and day out and havent gotten a single raise for 1 year. everytime i bring it up to a manager? crickets. do not work here.
Pros
Cool co-workers
Cons
ALWAYS asked/demanded to stay later, low pay for lots of work, horrible management except for 2 managers
I liked the people I worked with but didnt like my job
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHJuly 27, 2018
While working at steak n shake I loved the people I worked with. They gave me many opportunities to advance and get raises. The job was very fast pace and stressful. Many people didn't complete their job the right way so others had to fix it. This made the job very frustrating. Also there is never enough staff which made everyone work harder and faster.
Pros
good money and great people
Cons
stressful work environment
its a circus
Server (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIJuly 1, 2018
management sucks, everyone you work with including management are irresponsible. you can end up working hours after your scheduled shift and if you're a server you're not making anymore the last hours because you're just cleaning up after everyone. the whole time I was there all I made was the tips, not a single time from Steak N Shake themselves, and no matter how many times management stated they would fix the situation it never got fixed. they also only give out tips when they are good and ready. Also on top of it of course they were never fully staffed.
Pros
quick cash
Cons
management, co-workers, production, zero benefits
Not Living Up To Their Mission or Values
Talent Acquisition Manager (Corporate Recruiter) (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 18, 2018
No clear directions, senior leadership is dishonest but more than that, does not know what they want to do. They underpay compared to competition in and outside of the restaurant and hospitality (and other) industries. Especially with their corporate employees. They intentionally isolate and foster an unhealthy environment of paranoia amongst colleagues, direct and indirect reports/supervisors. It's nuts over there right now. Field, HR, training, operations, senior leadership - everyone is paranoid, looking to leave, and leaving. Not recommended as a company of choice. Benefits are very basic. Corporate works within a 24/7 environment just as operations works in it. Open every day of the year (not just in operations). People don't even know when others leave or start - which is basic HR 101. It's pretty embarrassing. The VPs within HR / related departments are just awful. Glad to be moving on. In 10 years of experience, I cannot relate the company's culture to any other I've worked in or for (either as an employee or vendor).
Pros
You gain experience
Cons
Culture is awful, Leaders isolate their staff, promote a 'lead by fear' environment, which comes from the way that the senior leaders/owner, Run away
A foreign owned corperation that is destin to no longer compete with most of the industry.
Associate/trainer (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOSeptember 20, 2018
After spending years working for SnS myself and many coworkers have found that the pay decreased and the structure became selfish and chaotic. The average expectancy of a manager is less than one year...
Pros
N/a
Cons
No paid breaks, low compensation, low chance of promotions and zero recognition.
Turn over rediculous
manager (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILNovember 21, 2018
Could not keep employees, they were over worked, tired and under paid. Managers worked way to many hours and were refused a raise. When upper management were called there was no response. Favoritism from upper management.
Pros
experience
Cons
turn over, under paid
Horribly mismanaged
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJune 29, 2018
The general manager didn't know what he was doing, and due to his incompetence and attitude, the store was almost always understaffed. I hope that this store was an anomaly, but I don't think it was. I stayed for 2 1/2 years working hard and hoping it would get better. I was even offered a low tier management position, which I accepted. But I was refused a single raise my entire time there, including after promotion to manager. Never going back.
Was horrible
Fountain Operator (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MODecember 4, 2018
The job was cut-throat and there was always shouting between each line of workers. As the shake maker, I was CONSTANTLY stacked and i was the only one working the area. No raises when I trained, no help when I needed it. Ended up having a mental breakdown.
Management was absent
Grill Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  London, KYSeptember 26, 2018
The store I worked in had terrible management, outside more than they were inside, never controlling situations that got out of hand regularly and stealing cash out of server tips. Job was fast paced and easy to learn, and would recommend it highly in a different location.
Pros
Free shakes!
Cons
No benefits, no free meal
productive, fun workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioNovember 13, 2018
Depending on the location, and management, you will enjoy your life with this company. Staying dedicated and loyal to yourself becomes difficult. You have to fight the politics.
Pros
One big family
Cons
compensation, healthcare, management
Steak ‘n Shake is a good place to eat with very cheap food but it is not always the cleanest place , good none the less.
Server and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKAugust 16, 2018
Steak ‘n Shake was a pretty okay working environment. At times, I would feel like my hard works and efforts would go unappreciated, and the schedule would get mixed up quite a few times. The money was good but not always steady and reliable. Over all, Steak ‘n Shake was an okay place to work out, although it does wear you down.
Pros
Half off
Cons
No other benefits
Server (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 4, 2018
Nothing really but the upper management and lack on actually involving thereself with there employee's or making poor choices. I love server overall so this company mistakes don't effect my passion for being a waitress..
Pros
Discount on food and make great Co workers
Cons
Bad management; more benifits
Going downhill fast
General Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 7, 2018
Company is going downhill fast. They have changed a lot the last 6-12 months, top management has been entirely replaced, and the changes are not practical. You are barely left with enough people for the restaurant to function because that is all they allow. We had a very productive crew that could barely get through, making me wonder how the locations with lesser skilled employees managed to make it work. Company culture has nose-dived and it is not enjoyable being there at all. There is little development going on as everyone is scrambling to keep up with changes being made. Not a lot of promise, if any, if you are looking for a career in management.
Pros
Manager meals (sort of...no healthy options, gets old)
Cons
Benefits cut, corporate management, list goes on.
Steak and shake biloxi
Cook/Server (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSNovember 7, 2018
Not too bad back in the day. The New manager is not that great and kind of sexist. High probability to be uncomfortable in the atmosphere. No room for advancement, no benefits. Gossip and sexist joked are all around as with any restaurant.
Horrible managment
Drive thru operator (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 9, 2018
It was like working at highschool. everyone was always angry or rude. No one wanted to be there. The GM was very touchy feels with the girls no matter what age. pay was min wage but for a job like this should be paid at least 12 an hr. because you are constantly harassed in some way. There was always drama and fighting going on in the back. I would work full 12 hr shifts and only get two 5 minute brakes. no free food. no benefits.
Pros
None.
Cons
short brakes, Harassed all the time, drama with everyone. pervy managment.
quit after being scheduled six 18 shifts in one week
Resturant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MO mills mallJune 14, 2018
The St. Louis DMA was in a serve management shortage in 2016 that led to the salary managers working a lot of hours. I mean a lot of hours! no life work/life balance. The work load on the hourly employees is extremely difficult so turnover is very high, all the stores run short handed, the managers will work the back of house positions.
Pros
easy to be hired as a manager.
Cons
life/work balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steak N Shake. Our community is ready to answer.

41K
31.2K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Steak N Shake.

Powered by Comparably