Stearns Lending Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Amazing Team work environment
Sr. Processor-Conventional Loans Retail (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 2, 2018
Stearns Lending had a desirable work schedule, all employees worked with each other as a team to complete overall company goals. Management worked effortless with the team as well.
hostile environment
Lincoln Park Branch-Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2018
Beautiful loft office. I learned and very much enjoyed what it takes to process and approve a loan. This was a very fast paced non awarding job. Broken promises.
All the things I love
Lock Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJune 24, 2018
Love my AEs, brokers and correspondents and getting to talk to them and help them everyday. I have learned a ton in the last 3 and a half years, and learn something new everyday.
Company works now
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 8, 2018
Was brought into Stearns to open Ops Center. Staffed up the center and they never got Sales Up and running. The Manager I had when I started was great, helpful always there to answer questions. The 2nd Manager they put over me did not know the Mortgage side. She was a trainer not a National Ops Manager and was not helpful at all. Very unprofessional to me and my staff.
Very stressful place to work.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 4, 2018
Not a very friendly place to work, if you were not liked by the circle of friends, they would find a way to get rid of you. it didn't matter if you were a good employee or not!
Strong Executive Management
AVP Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 22, 2018
Stearns has now partnered with The Blackstone Group and has been going through a major transition. Through this transition Stearns has gained a very valuable executive management team.
Overall a great place to work
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 16, 2018
I had a good experience working with Stearns Lending, the only major downfall is a lack of marketing for the name, no one knows who Stearns is outside California.
fast paced and fun place to work
Closer/Funder (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 7, 2018
busy environment with lots of great people to work with as a team. you can learn by asking other departments about their roles in the mortgage industry. cool managers and comfortable place to work.
Stearns Lending
Final documents Clerk (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMay 3, 2018
I had an overall great working experience learning about mortgage. The managers were very nice and helpful, they taught you more when asked. Filing and requesting outstanding documents from title and escrow companies was a typical day at work.
Pros
Outstanding mortgage experience
Cons
The drive was too far
Not a bad place
Loan Processor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wexford, PAApril 13, 2018
I didn't have any issues. I liked doing the work it is a bit younger crowd and they weren't focusing on getting the work done. The benefits you had to pay the full amount because it was out of California so no physicians in Pennsylvania accepted it.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Stressful
Loan Review
FHA Mortgage Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIApril 12, 2018
reviewed loans from beginning to end for the processors. Spoke to Loan Officers on a daily basis. Did the helpdesk sometimes 3 times a week. depending on the assigned loan officers to the underwriters and what they placed in the underwriting bin.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, co workers
Cons
helpdesk, lack of work, mangement lying to people about what's coming down the pike for the Layoffs.
Lack of knowledge in direct manager
Senior Insurer (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAApril 12, 2018
The manager of the department I was in didn't even know how to do the job. I had to train him. They treated the job as data entry, but you need to know why you need to input certain data and if it makes sense for the loan to work.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No stabilitty
Enjoyed the people of Worked with - good culture
Regional Vice President - Sales (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMarch 30, 2018
Set goals for each AE - monitored progress to align to company annual production goals. Worked to recruit new AE’s, train, accompanied all AE’s in field. Listen to their issues, client issues, problem solved for resolution. Collaborated with operations staff to improve relationships between sales and operations. Assisted with consolidations in the organization during down sizing. Liked the people I worked with
Competitive
Quality Control Loan Auditor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 27, 2018
Enjoyed the type of work I did there. Departments were organized to the point where there was enough interaction between workers to successfully get things done.
Its a job
Loan Processor II (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 6, 2018
Its a company that purchased Home Community Mortgage to create a relationship & Partnership w/KB home builders. That gives them a much bigger portion of the lending arena.
Leading Mortgage Origination Company
Production Assistant / Junior Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Stearns is your typical direct mortgage lender. They have access to all of the conventional and government programs that are used in California. I found that there is a lack of consistency in the operations processes as well as underwriting standards throughout various levels. Management was reluctant to make changes to flawed processes to improve customer experience and efficiency.
Pros
Access to all products and technology.
Cons
Poor customer experience once the loan leaves the loan originators queue.
Overall great place to work
Senior Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXFebruary 3, 2018
Overall great place to work. Great company culture, no micro management. Work hours are stable, and there is room to grow and room for advancement. I would recommend working for Stearns Lending.
Worse place i ever worked
Former remote underwriter (Former Employee) –  RemotrJanuary 29, 2018
The management team does not care. They told me wromg information. They said they dont lay off. My first week there they had a lay off. There is alot of favoritism. Healthcare is awful. You have a high deductible.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, healthcare
I cant recommend
Post Closing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CADecember 27, 2017
This company is going downhill fast. I'd have to echo the other reviewers and say that we were completely deceived by upper management. They swore up and down that our jobs were secure and that we just had to work harder to prove ourselves and show initiative in order to get merit increases. Then, not only are we told that everyone is relocating, people were laid off and then this same manager and his sub-manager quit the company! Both had been there less than a year.

New management and new employees are confused, overworked and the replacement hires are lazy, not showing any initiative at all to learn the job. If you take a job here you will be caught in the middle of this mess. I dont see any signs of things stabilizing any time soon.

This company doesnt care about talent, they care about having lower paid warm bodies to fill the open positions.
Pros
Working idependently, fairly decent pay
Cons
disroganized, no leadership, exploitative
Nice Place to work
Senior Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXDecember 22, 2017
Very Friendly employees, very intelligent staff, laid back environment , no micro- managing. Management very helpful, also able to work from home, very helpful remote support
Pros
Very good pay
Cons
Not enough time in day for work load/ Need more employees