Steel Technologies LLC Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good money good people
Slitter Operator (Former Employee) –  Portage inApril 16, 2018
Long hours good money well place for learning experience . Half of the people working there have been there 15+ years very good learning experience would recommend a lot of young guys to work there
Pros
Paid lunch smoke breaks
Cons
30 min lunch 2 smoke breaks
people
Slitter Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYApril 4, 2018
The days are long. Work 12hrs plus a day and lot of 7 days a week. The checks were good because all of hrs put in. dirty job but the guys made it fun.
Pros
checks
Cons
hrs
Production is pretty smooth and Steady
Mill helper/forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 1, 2018
Need to be well managed, better insurance and retirement plans. Paid scale need to increase but it’s a good starting job for young employees that trying to get experience
Pros
N/a
Cons
Better insurance
April 9, 2018

Thanks for your comment, we appreciate your feedback. Our pay scale is currently being reviewed and we expect to introduce new competitive wages in our Decatur facility in the coming month.

Could really use improvements.
Slitter Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INJanuary 27, 2018
I worked here for almost 5 years and was VERY flexible with them as far as covering for when people called off. I made one mistake in 5 years an it wasn't even that major of a mess up considering what I had seen other people mess up. After my one mess up they wanted to demote me, cut my pay in half, and change my shift.
Pros
Good pay and great benifits.
Cons
If youre not in the "uppers" pocket they dont care about you
Very productive and safe work environment.
Steel processor (Former Employee) –  Portage, INDecember 9, 2017
I was very happy at Steel technologies family friendly.I had learned a lot working there.We put out a lot of products per day.We also builded our own skids measured and cut and put together.
Pros
family friendly and learned alot
Cons
Didnt work there long
yes a fun place.
Slitter Operator (Former Employee) –  Canton, MINovember 28, 2017
This job was a good one. I learned many skills that i can take with me to use in my career. This company had great people to work with which made working enjoyable. They always had opportunities for me to pick up extra shifts.
Poor place to work
Packline Lead I (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KY 41045November 14, 2017
I was treated very bad. They have no idea how to treat people. It is crazy to think that someone has not intervened from upper management to try to curb the mistreatment.
Pros
Cons
to many to name
November 21, 2017

If you’re willing to send us a message through the contact section on our website or call 1-800-626-2170 to reach corporate HR, we would like to get some additional information about your experiences. Please allow us to help resolve these issues.

once loved it, now dont
Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INNovember 3, 2017
they used to take care of their employees and was family oriented. Lost that over time. bonus program they promote is very little if any. it is outdated from the change of business and management won't change it. Greensburg is always at the top $$ maker for the company each month but get little-no bonus for it. someone's pocket is getting lined. insurance isn't the greatest and moral of the employees is low. they pay to get you in the door but they don't pay to keep people around. only $6 in increases with 15+ years of service.

if you start at packaging there is room to move up. once you get to operator you are stuck.
Pros
laid back
Cons
pay for senior employees. Supervisors play favorites
November 21, 2017

We apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. It is our goal to create a positive work environment with advancement and promotion opportunities. We appreciate your honest feedback and encourage you to reach out to us through our website or call 1-800-626-2170 if you’d like to provide additional information on how we could improve.

good place to work
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Portage, INOctober 4, 2017
good place to work, great co-workers, great pace, the thing about this place is its good to work for and a good stepping stone to get into the steel mills
Overall a good place to work
Forklift Driver/Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Portage, INSeptember 19, 2017
I learned a lot working here. I started out working on a banding line then advanced to being a Crane Operator. Employees and Supervisors were very helpful.
Pros
Advanced to a better position quickly
Cons
schedule
joke of the steel industry
Shipping Clerk/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Portage, INSeptember 14, 2017
Some of the lowest wages in the industry. the health insurance is only good if you have to go to a doctor every week or about to die and the whole plant is a mess. material scattered everywhere. Employees leave garbage everywhere. the wood used for making pallets is rotting so all the stacks lean and management only seems to care when a customer complains or someone from corporate is coming.
Productive and fast paced work place
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Portage, INAugust 17, 2017
A typical day involves laying coils onto a line and banding them. We roughly get out about 140-160 skids filled between 1-11 coils on them. The have on the job training. Every worker is certified to drive a forklift through steel tech. Management is excellent. Very kind to all employees. 12 hour rotating shifts
Overall it's a good place to start for a stepping stone job for future.
Slitter Operator (Former Employee) –  Portage, INAugust 9, 2017
Doesn't pay enough for the work you do. Management overall is good and friendly. Some boss are better than others. They are quick to make fun of you and don't praise you when you do a good job.
Pros
Paid lunch break of 30 minutes
Cons
Bosses promoting there friends over seniority
August 10, 2017

We are disappointed we fell short of your expectations. It’s our goal to provide long lasting careers, not be a stepping stone. We appreciate your honest feedback and encourage you to reach out to us through our website if you’d like to provide additional information on how we could improve.

Always work to be done, Easy to catch on, good advancment oportunities.
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Portage, INJune 8, 2017
Busy and always on your feet.
Working well with others and communication skills.
Hands on management.
The hardest part in locating stored productions.
Pros
Plenty of breaks, good benifits and paid lunches.
Cons
Stressful work load, dangerous enviroment
June 12, 2017

Steel Technologies places Safety First, before other work tasks, and emphasizes the importance of a safe working environment for all employees, customers, and visitors of the facilities. We take all necessary precautions in order to either eliminate hazards in the workplace, or to ensure that the workforce is fully protected from those hazards. We always welcome feedback from employees, both past and present, and encourage you to reach out to us through our website if you’d like to provide additional feedback. Thank you for your service while at Steel Technologies.

Fun and stressful at times,no hard work at all
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALJune 4, 2017
Fun place to work at times can't keep enough good help,learned some new skills ,learned a lot about my work ethics which there wasn't any doubts anyway
Pros
Laidback, management dont breath down your neck, get to go out on your lunch breaks, off on weekends
Cons
Pay, high turnover rate, some employees not being held accountable for not doing there job, therefor someone have to do it for them
it did even have a ping pong table, at first
Traffic Manager/Training Coordinator, (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYMay 7, 2017
good benefits, workload different in different departments, my department, long hour, consecutive day 70-80 hours a week, not complaining, that was just the job,
Pros
benefits, education reimbursement, insurance
Cons
I did not like working for steel technologies
Annealing Operator (Former Employee) –  Portage, INMay 5, 2017
No one likes working there so no matter were you work your in a hostel work place.They use to make up for the low pay giving us other things,but they took all that from us.They didn't want to fix thing but still expected your job to get done when there was not anything to do it with.If you start your work they will make you stop to do someone else job because they can't get them to do it.
June 13, 2017

We’re sorry to hear about your recent experience, but appreciate your comments and feedback. Steel Technologies is committed to providing our employees with opportunities for advancement, a safe working environment and competitive wages and benefits. We are proud to have a strong company culture based on collaboration and continuous improvement. We always welcome feedback, and encourage you to reach out to us through our website if you’d like to provide additional information to help us continue to make Steel Technologies a great workplace.

Very good company, people oriented
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Crawfordsville, IN, Berkeley, S. C.April 17, 2017
Only reason wanting to leave is to be working close to home. I've been in same building for 14 years and three companies. Steel Technologies has been the best, most secure with room for advancement.
Great work environment.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCMarch 22, 2017
It was a great work environment. Hours were set by the driver on loads to the Plant but Customers had set time to deliver load. Usually early hours in the a.m. to 12pm of driving time. Approx. 536 miles daily.
Pros
Insurance, Home time
Cons
No cons about job. Great Job for Area.
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INFebruary 28, 2017
Its a great job, easy, fast paced, but some of the management isn't the best but it'll pay the bills and then some but, for the most part, it really is a good job with good benefits.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Stressful