Steel Technologies LLC Employee Reviews

It’s has a good atmosphere.
Machine Operator/Packer (Current Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INJuly 28, 2018
I like steel tech it’s getting me trained on things that are important for moving up in any company. PTO should be able to be taken whenever one is sick of calls in they should be able to use there PTO.
fast paced , clean and safe workplace
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huger, SCJuly 10, 2018
Very busy place. The company stressed safety. They were very big on training and insisted on a neat and clean workplace. The management was great and would do anything reasonable for you.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
Machines were loud
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCJune 4, 2018
Very good upper management, workplace culture was very good. Lots of opportunity for advancement. lots of training opportunity's were available to all employees.
It was ok
Operator (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MIJune 4, 2018
The job was easy it was at a good pace I like working in a fast pace job it was a overnight job I would have to stay over sometimes which I didn’t mind
hard work but alright pay
Braner Operator/Machinist (Former Employee) –  Huger, SC 29450May 15, 2018
it is great if you are trying to build self structure in your life and improve on accountability but be prepared for minimal sleep and long days some weeks the pay is worth it. you have to apply your self and force your self into the position that you want.
Pros
pay, and over time
Cons
distance and work days
Laid back atmosphere
Slitter Operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OHMay 11, 2018
Great place to work. A typical day at work is very laid back and stress free. I have learned many different mechanical processes while working at Steel Techonolgies.
Great company
Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 9, 2018
Relaxed work environment. Work very independently. Very helpful management and co-workers. Competitive salary and second to none health benefits. Highly recommend.
Easy going work place
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNApril 24, 2018
It can be dangerous sometimes. Pretty easy to learn everything. Quick pace. Good pay. Good benifits. Can work around most schedules. Can’t really move up in positions
April 30, 2018

Thank you for your review. Steel Technologies places Safety First and emphasizes the importance of a safe working environment for all employees, customers, and visitors of the facilities. We’d like to know more details about your dangerous experience and would appreciate you reaching out to Corporate HR or Safety to share additional information. Both can be reached at (502) 245-2110. Thank you for your service at Steel Technologies.

pay is terrible
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INApril 23, 2018
my day at work, was always messy, I had to always organize everyone's paper work from the shift before. had to play a catch up game. communication was terrible. the truck drivers always caught an attitude for no reason. the best part about steel was the employees could joke around and lighten up the things at work.
April 30, 2018

Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. Our pay scale was recently updated to provide more competitive wages for our employees. Your feedback to helps us improve our efficiency and environment at Steel Technologies. If you’re willing to send us a message through the contact section on our website or call 1-800-626-2170 to reach corporate HR, we would like to get some additional information about your experiences.

Good money good people
Slitter Operator (Former Employee) –  Portage inApril 16, 2018
Long hours good money well place for learning experience . Half of the people working there have been there 15+ years very good learning experience would recommend a lot of young guys to work there
Pros
Paid lunch smoke breaks
Cons
30 min lunch 2 smoke breaks
people
Slitter Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KYApril 4, 2018
The days are long. Work 12hrs plus a day and lot of 7 days a week. The checks were good because all of hrs put in. dirty job but the guys made it fun.
Pros
checks
Cons
hrs
Decent Job, but Low Pay
Operator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMarch 20, 2018
I feel that Steel Technologies's management is committed to safety, but I'm not sure that every employee buys into the safety culture, especially holdovers from the Stripco days. Work is repetitive, which can lead to inattention to detail. Even with the company's emphasis on safety, working with and around steel has inherent hazards. Even with recent wage increases, employees are not compensated in commensurate to risk involved.
March 26, 2018

Thanks for your comment, we appreciate your feedback. Our pay scale is currently being reviewed and we expect to introduce new competitive wages in our Decatur facility in the coming month.

March 26, 2018

Steel Technologies places Safety First and emphasizes the importance of a safe working environment for all employees, customers, and visitors of the facilities. We’d like to know more details about your experience and would appreciate you reaching out to Corporate HR or Safety to share additional information. Both can be reached at (502) 245-2110. Thank you for your service at Steel Technologies.

Production is pretty smooth and Steady
Mill helper/forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 1, 2018
Need to be well managed, better insurance and retirement plans. Paid scale need to increase but it’s a good starting job for young employees that trying to get experience
Pros
N/a
Cons
Better insurance
April 9, 2018

Could really use improvements.
Slitter Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INJanuary 27, 2018
I worked here for almost 5 years and was VERY flexible with them as far as covering for when people called off. I made one mistake in 5 years an it wasn't even that major of a mess up considering what I had seen other people mess up. After my one mess up they wanted to demote me, cut my pay in half, and change my shift.
Pros
Good pay and great benifits.
Cons
If youre not in the "uppers" pocket they dont care about you
Very productive and safe work environment.
Steel processor (Former Employee) –  Portage, INDecember 9, 2017
I was very happy at Steel technologies family friendly.I had learned a lot working there.We put out a lot of products per day.We also builded our own skids measured and cut and put together.
Pros
family friendly and learned alot
Cons
Didnt work there long
yes a fun place.
Slitter Operator (Former Employee) –  Canton, MINovember 28, 2017
This job was a good one. I learned many skills that i can take with me to use in my career. This company had great people to work with which made working enjoyable. They always had opportunities for me to pick up extra shifts.
Poor place to work
Packline Lead I (Former Employee) –  Ghent, KY 41045November 14, 2017
I was treated very bad. They have no idea how to treat people. It is crazy to think that someone has not intervened from upper management to try to curb the mistreatment.
Pros
Cons
to many to name
November 21, 2017

If you’re willing to send us a message through the contact section on our website or call 1-800-626-2170 to reach corporate HR, we would like to get some additional information about your experiences. Please allow us to help resolve these issues.

once loved it, now dont
Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INNovember 3, 2017
they used to take care of their employees and was family oriented. Lost that over time. bonus program they promote is very little if any. it is outdated from the change of business and management won't change it. Greensburg is always at the top $$ maker for the company each month but get little-no bonus for it. someone's pocket is getting lined. insurance isn't the greatest and moral of the employees is low. they pay to get you in the door but they don't pay to keep people around. only $6 in increases with 15+ years of service.

if you start at packaging there is room to move up. once you get to operator you are stuck.
Pros
laid back
Cons
pay for senior employees. Supervisors play favorites
November 21, 2017

We apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. It is our goal to create a positive work environment with advancement and promotion opportunities. We appreciate your honest feedback and encourage you to reach out to us through our website or call 1-800-626-2170 if you’d like to provide additional information on how we could improve.

good place to work
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Portage, INOctober 4, 2017
good place to work, great co-workers, great pace, the thing about this place is its good to work for and a good stepping stone to get into the steel mills
Overall a good place to work
Forklift Driver/Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Portage, INSeptember 19, 2017
I learned a lot working here. I started out working on a banding line then advanced to being a Crane Operator. Employees and Supervisors were very helpful.
Pros
Advanced to a better position quickly
Cons
schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steel Technologies LLC. Our community is ready to answer.