SteelMaster Buildings Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Social Media & Digital Content Specialist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 10, 2019
I've worked at SteelMaster for over a year now, and I still really enjoy working here. Unlike previous jobs I've had, I genuinely like coming in to the office every day.

The biggest pro that stands out about working here for me is the company culture. The managers really care about your work/life balance. Plus, I've never felt so appreciated and valued as an employee before, with free lunch at the end of every month, dressing up on Halloween and company potlucks during the holidays.

In addition to company culture, one of the things I love the most about my job is that I learn something new every day. Whether it be about the product itself or a new skill, I feel like I have truly grown in my field at SteelMaster.
Pros
free lunch, company spirit events, holidays off
Horrible place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 1, 2019
They give you $50 for selling a building for $10,000. Then you have to call customer back and sell a foundation track for $2000 and you get a $100 bonus. Such a big sham.
Cons
It's perfect for the right group of people
National Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 14, 2019
Awesome job for beginners in sales industry. The commission plan is horrible. Definitely not worth time and effort you put into every customer, especially with how many NOs you get.
Great place, fun environment, a lot of opportunity
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 2, 2019
I worked at SteelMaster for the last 3 years and have had a wonderful time doing so. The people are the real shinning star of the organization. If you work hard and are able to get out of your comfort zone the management will take the time with you to refine the natural abilities you already have. This job is not for the faint hearted, it is fast paced and detail rich. Once one has found their voice and has a developed pipeline the income is consistent. The bonus structure for those who produce is significant. Another interesting part of the job is the clients, all across the country and are all working working on intriguing projects. If you are the type of sales representative that likes selling on the high road and also likes knowing that the product you represent is the best in the market, than this is an organization for you. In my time in sales I have never worked in a place that was as heartfelt as SteelMaster.
Pros
Work Culture
Cons
Usual growing pains for a growing company
SteelMaster is a great place to work!
Building Specialist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 29, 2018
I've been working at SteelMaster for the past 5 years. I love the company, enjoy my co-workers and completely believe in the buildings that we sell our customers.

The office was just renovated last year and the ownership invested a lot into making our work environment more comfortable (great desks/chairs) and more collaborative (new cafe & open working areas).

I really enjoy the culture here. Work/life/family balance is very important to the leadership team. They also have fun events such as month-end company sponsored lunches (like Qdoba), Halloween dress-up, wellness fruit water daily, ice cream socials, holiday parties, etc.

The work is very interesting as you get to talk to people all over the USA from all walks of life. The one thing that is common is that need a SteelMaster to protect their investments, no matter what type of building.

As a sales employee, I have been able to advance my career from the development team (where they provide 1:1 hands on sales and product training), to the elite team (where they continue to provide training at a higher level) and now I'm in a entry level management where I have a few building specialists reporting to me. I've found that if you have a desire for advancement at SteelMaster, the opportunity is available to you when your skill sets are ready.

Overall SteelMaster is a great place to work and I would highly recommend it to salespeople looking to find a home where you are trained, valued and paid for performance (no income caps).
Pros
Company culture, training, career advancement, company events & free lunches
No Career Advancement Opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 22, 2018
At the time of my employment at SteelMaster Buildings, I was newly divorced with three children. I provided an array of professional skills to help the company grow; I was an effective communicator on the phones, and helped a lot with inside sales and marketing, as well as being an Administrative Assistant. I encouraged our inside sales team to obtain over one million dollars in sales in six months; whereas when I first started working there, it would take them twice the time to accomplish. There were no bonuses offered to the Admins, nor paid time off, and our lunch breaks were a half hour, but the sales personnel were offered one hour. We didn't get any kind of break unless it was the half hour lunch, or to use the restroom briefly.
Pros
Morale Boosting Activites
Cons
Unfair Work Environment
Would have stayed forever if the pay was higher
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 21, 2018
I was an admin assistant at SteelMaster Buildings over 10 years ago and I still consider it to be the favorite job I’ve ever had. The atmosphere was excellent. Every day was fun and the people really cared about each other. Unfortunately, the position I was I did not pay well enough to support my family. Sales team and management can make good money. Overall it was a great place to work and I wish I never had to leave. If they paid more I would have stayed forever.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Short lunch and low pay
Awesome Place to work
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 13, 2017
Loved this place Miss it dearly if I ever move back will consider working there again. We always had so much fun at work and it was always fast paced and enjoyable. Never a dull moment and lots of excellent friendly employees to help
SteelMaster is an amazing place to work
Social Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 8, 2017
If you want to feel appreciated, well compensated, and valued, then SteelMaster is the place for you.

I've worked on several jobs, but I've never experienced anything like this place before. Pure joy every day.

They take great care to treat everyone like a human being. You're greeted with smiles and genuine hellos from the folks who work here.

It's a small-company, family-oriented environment and they are always more than willing to work with you during any situation.

They provide free lunch every month, they hold contests to reward us for our hard work, they also work hard for an amazing end-of-the year party where they spare no expense to celebrate the accomplishments of the employees for the year.

Since I arrived here, I waited for the honeymoon period to fade and I braced myself for what would come afterward. So far, it's been two years and I still really enjoy working here.

I would highly recommend SteelMaster to anyone looking to work at a great place that encourages you to be better while also treating you well.

One of the best things about working here is the management. Unlike some companies that have a bunch of red tape separating the upper management from the employees, if there is ever an idea or concern, they are very open and always accessible.
Pros
Family-oriented, great pay, amazing rewards, friendly environment, great opportunity to learn
Cons
You will learn about Steel Fabricated Buildings and how they can serve a purpose.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 4, 2017
Just relocated to the area and needed a new job and career. I was starting over. It was not my passion thus when I was afforded another opportunity I took it.
Pros
Teachable.
Awesome workplace and people where YOU control your income!
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 24, 2017
I worked for SteelMaster for over 5 years. Not only do they provide a fun workplace but they also provide customers with a great product that you will feel confident in selling. Unlike many sales jobs, SteelMaster has a 40 hour work week. The balance of work and family life is unlike any other sales job.

I thought I was a "salesman" until I started working for SteelMaster. They take it to another level with the sales training they provide. They take the time to teach you everything you need to know and give you all the tools you need to be very successful. The hardest part of the job is literally forgetting what you know about sales and doing it the SteelMaster way. The quicker you can do this, the quicker you will be successful!

For me SteelMaster was more than just another sales job. They're a "Family"! Unfortunately I went through a personal, life changing event that caused me to leave the Company. The SteelMaster family (co-workers, management and owners) were there for me throughout this difficult time. Most companies would only ask "When are you coming back?". SteelMaster said, "Anything that you need, we're here for you!".

If you're tired of going from one sales job to another and are looking for a career then SteelMaster is for you! If you want a great comp plan and potential advancement with hard work then SteelMaster is for you! If you want to feel appreciated and not like you're just another number then SteelMaster is for you!

All you need to do is be willing to work hard and listen to your manager while selling a great product.
  more... If that's you, SteelMaster will be a place you will want to call "Home"!  less
Pros
Great training, comp plan and management
10 year Project Specialist
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 24, 2017
i worked at Steelmaster for 10 years at the beginning of my career and left the company because I relocated to a different state. During my time there I was able to partake in helping this company grow immensely with the overwhelming support and care from the management team and fellow employees. Working here taught me valuable organizational and sales skills that have helped me succeed in my new career path. The collective management team has over 90 years of sales experience and are always ready to jump in to help and teach at any time of the day. It was my pleasure working together with them; they are dedicated to this company and its success. They make it have the feel of a family atmosphere. I was able to achieve many career and personal goals during my tenure there; I will always remember the company and its people very fondly.
Pros
Ownership, management team, flexibility, caring atmosphere
Cons
This is a performance driven company, so if you are not the type of person who reacts well to a competitive, deadline centric, and incentive laden atmosphere, this is definitely not the place for you.
A REAL sales job!
National Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 24, 2017
Great place to work. The company understands the psychology of sales and sales people. They were always fair. I was there for well over a decade and had a few personal issues and they treated me like family. I made a ton of money, sky is the limit on commissions.
Pros
great sales training, no ceiling on commissions, do the right thing attitude
Cons
unethical competitors, big ticket items with a lesser known product
I couldn't be happier in a sales position
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  VA Beach, VANovember 4, 2015
I started at Steel Master Feb 11th, 2013 as a residential sales rep. After being here for a few months I asked the owner and my manager what the steps were to become a residential sales manager and shortly after that they laid out a plan for me that ultimately lead to that promotion. Having my own sales team was a great experience! Shortly after becoming a manager, a position opened up on the commercial team that I was very interested in, so I interviewed for it. After several interviews, I was offered the position as a senior project manager. I have been here for less than 3 years and the opportunity for growth at steelmaster is second to none!
Pros
great management, family-oriented company, willingness to train and help build skills
Cons
the coffee gets made too strong - with inside sales, you must build a relationship with your leads on the phone, not face to face
sales performance driven, fun place to work. no career growth tho.
Senior Territory Manager / Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 18, 2013
typical work day starts with evaulating your CRM system platform for lead counts, and lead management. Sifting out the low hanging fruit and who is hot and needs closed for that day. Making calls, approximately 60-100 daily, qualifying the buyers from non buyers and closing, asking for the business.

This business is not like other sales jobs. It really makes you better at what you do on a daily basis. The customer is shopping for something they know they want but can not touch it, feel it and vision it. Only contact is through phone hundreds of miles away. The most important part is knowing and understanding that you as a salesman only have one chance to get this business. If you can not ask for the business, someone else will. Once the sun goes down, the chances of getting that sale reduces by 50%. In order to get the business, you must ask for the business on every call, close something, the time to call back, settinng an appointment.

As part of management, it is a very demanding positon. The management team is also a selling management team, meaning we are also required to sell a minumum in order to keep management status. Each management team includes 4-6 sales representives which are required to sell a minumum of $40,000 revenue a month. Most are selling well above this level, but it gives a benchmark which must be met in order to be making money on either the Salary plus bones or full commission. Set goals are required each month and the year in order to stay on track. Constant feedback is always desired and given using recording and coaching by listening to the
  more... phones calls, and monthly, quarterly reveiws of the sales guys. Constructive feedback is important in order for the guys to get better. The key to becoming better is perfect practice.

THe hardest part of this job is staying focused. There is no one that can teach you drive or desire. One must have already done wrong and been to the lowest part of their lives in order to have desire or focus. THe hardest part of working a sales driven job is the commitment to focusing everyday and everyday is different. Each day can be better or worse depending on what you desire. Asking for the business can change you day instantly but only if you dont sell with fear. Salesmen have one thing in common, either you are over confident and you suck or you are humble and you are awesome. Expectations to become more will only drive one to be better and become the best.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the commradarie among the employees. The highest amount of respect is always expected and therefore given in return. There is a sense of pride to everyone who works there. it is a family
Pros
Lunch last day of each month
Cons
Very demanding
Interesting, Fun, and Professional Workplace.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 23, 2012
SteelMaster Buildings is a great place to work to gain experience in a specific field that you are interested in such as Sales, Marketing, Accounting, and Administration.
Pros
great people to work with, and gained a lot of knowledge.
Cons
no room for advancement, not enough pay, short lunches.