Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Found 1,307 reviews matching the search See all 1,308 reviews
fun place to work
Salesman, Computer Operator, Receiving clerk (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 13, 2019
typical day for work in the receiving area consisted of unloading trucks and unpacking product from boxes and either hanging clothes on new hangers or unpacking housewares then price tagging it all.
Pros
easy work, great for students
Cons
low pay, no room for advancement
Management sucks
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 13, 2019
A bunch of trailer park nobodies running that store, store 375 went down the drain when the old store manager left and the women took over. They expect you to work like a slave, for little hours and pay.
Pros
being off
Cons
managerment, pay, store as a whole
A Yearlong Nightmare- I Never Thought I'd Get Out
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLJanuary 10, 2019
If I could give Stein Mart zero stars, I would. Working here for over a year was the absolute worst experience I've ever had in the workplace. The atmosphere is EXTREMELY unhealthy, especially if you're spending 50+ hours there a week because they are so extremely understaffed. The entire store consisted of about 11 employees, half of which were managers. Which means the other 7 or so had to do all of the work. The relationships here, with the management mainly, was extremely TOXIC and HOSTILE. No matter what, these people refuse to work together on anything. Constant bullying, gossip, pettiness, arguing, almost to the point of physical fighting coming from a MANAGER, and this didn't stop when the customers were around. One manager in particular is absolutely hostile, immature, very very poorly trained or just lost track of what a manager should look like. She would constantly tell us that we were not allowed to speak to the managers. What is the manager's job if not to communicate with the employees? This went on the entire year plus that I was employed here. Bullying and discrimination is EXTREMELY prevalent and not even trying to be hidden. Favoritism is a serious problem here. Advancement, unless you are best friends with Gloria, is IMPOSSIBLE. I know women who have worked there for 5+ years and never received a performance or annual raise. Trying to get health benefits here is a complete runaround and the management doesn't care to help. When there is something wrong with my paycheck or compensation, Gloria just argues with you to tell you you're wrong even when you show  more... proof. This place really needs to be shut down or at the very least clean house and hire some actual, professional, trained management who know the basics on how to lead a team and keep their employees. Even the discounts here on purchases are very limited. A regular customer could easily get a larger discount than an employee. Extremely often, the management would make us work a 10+ hour shift and take only a 35 minute break, during which we were NOT ALLOWED to leave the store. Even though we were clocked out, which is I/L/L/E/G/A/L.I could go on for hours about the horrible things I've experienced here, but in short, I feel traumatized from working with Stein Mart. Long story short; PLEASE DO NOT WORK HERE!  less
Pros
plenty of hours
Cons
short or no breaks, no communication, pay, no advancement, poor management, hostile environment, bullying, discrimination
Retail hours are not fun, but this is one of the best retailers to work for.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLJanuary 8, 2019
Nice company to work for. Culture is very supportive and merchandise selection and pricing is good. Retail hours are never easy to deal with and pay is always on the low end, but this is one of the best retailers to work for. Good company overall.
Pros
Supportive environment and nice selection.
Cons
Hours include nights, weekends and holidays and pay is relatively low.
store management is awful
Boutique Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 5, 2019
Store management and the district management are just awful at the location I worked for. The only thing they care about is if you get customers to sign up for a credit card. If you don't meet your credit card quota, you get put on an alert list and can be audited for any stupid mistake
Pros
corporate benefits
Cons
selective favorites of store management
January 14, 2019

We greatly appreciate the feedback and would like to hear more if you are comfortable. There is not an "alert list" nor has there ever been. Credit cards are encouraged to customers for the value they provide, they are not used as a means of punishment to employees. Please email us HumanResources@steinmart.com.

Great Started job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hilton Head Island, SCJanuary 3, 2019
IT is a great starter job. You will definitely move up. Do not expect a salary increase. Managers also usually don't stay long. I have worked there for over 10 years now as a part time worker.
chris nimer
Customer service, checkout (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 3, 2019
Stein Mart day started with opening the store around ten o'clock.
Before opening the doors we would clock in and make a morning announcement five minutes before doors opened.
manangement was kind and fair. the company made it tough and competitive but fun.
Pros
easy
Cons
low pay
mom and pop mentality
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 30, 2018
multi million dollar company trying to operate with a mom and pop mentality. Very political work environment. Not much room for your recommendations for working smarter instead of harder.
VeryStressfull
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLDecember 27, 2018
Hourly Rate for associates are very low
Stressful environment
All Task
No customer service despite all the talk

Floor Changes daily

NO Raises for past two years
The company continues to fall short of sales goals despite many efforts
The job was like a family
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 27, 2018
Working at stein mart was fun, felt like a family. opportunities to move up. Management was iffy, there were managers who just were job professional. A lot of drama when working was also a con of the job since everyone was so close.
Good work environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXDecember 26, 2018
Willing to provide tools to assist in development for future promotion. Long term values. Is committed to a good work environment. Great customer service attention.
Pros
Values Associates
Cons
Could provide more on site classes
January 3, 2019

Thank you very much for the positive feedback! We are working hard to ensure employees have experiences such as yours.

Decent discounts
SALES ASSOCIATE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Thornton, CODecember 24, 2018
Manager could be better understanding. The employees had no respect for the older people who worked there and weren't easy to work with. Lots of gossip
Cashier, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCDecember 16, 2018
IT is so much fun working at Stein Mart. There some Management issue but they can be fixed. everything else is good. They really make you feel like family.
Pros
Good Discount
Cons
Extra work
January 3, 2019

Thank you for the positive feedback! We appreciate it very much!

Very subpar salaries and no raises
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 16, 2018
The managers love playing favorites with who they schedule, so you barely get any hours. There wasn't much room to improve my customer service skills at all because no one was willing to show a helping hand. Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the job was clocking out.
Pros
Decent discounts on items
Cons
Everything else
January 3, 2019

We appreciate the feedback. Stein Mart strives to deliver a great employee experience. If comfortable, please email HumanResources@steinmart.com. We would like to hear more of your feedback.

Nice workplace with outdated equipment and software.
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 11, 2018
Not impressed by the company's offshore IT out-sourcing practices at the expense of American workers and families! Management needs to focus on tightening the belt for upper management spending and quit wasting company resources.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 8, 2018
I love the people here. The management team at the Hickory NC Steinmart is probably THE best. Work life balance is great. I get told often that I am doing a great job.
Pay could be better but ut is retail.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Pay
December 10, 2018

Thank you for the great feedback! We appreciate your hard work!

Decent place to work
Sales Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 7, 2018
Stein Mart is a decent place to work. Management wasn't very good at this store. They gossiped about other employees and what was going on in other employees lives and they gave better schedules to those they favored. Pay could be better as well.
Great if you want part time position
Receiving Supervisor/Operations Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHDecember 4, 2018
Great if not need fill time job and can work various days/hours with only 7 day notice. CanNOT make a living on this job alone. Good for retirees or someone not needing benefits.
nothing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 4, 2018
I did not like working at this job. It was more so the management. it was not for me. they look over people hire people that had no knowledge of the policy or procedure. They need to revamp the company and who they hire.
Productive and fast paced
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCDecember 3, 2018
I enjoyed managing salary and non salary associates. A great culture to work in. I oversaw gift department, shoes department, receiving and domestics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stein Mart. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Stein Mart.

Powered by Comparably