Stein Mart Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,140 reviews matching the search See all 1,141 reviews
Very busy fun and productive work atmosphere
Area/Mercandise Manager (FT) (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, GAJuly 15, 2018
From the e time I statarted working there I grew in my knowledge and in skills. As a manager and merchandiser I was challenged and enjoyed it. I was Abel to make schedules and train my dept as well as step up and work in other departments to help keep a staedy flow and presence as a manager
Pros
Discoumts
Cons
Long hours and overnights
Poor management.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLJuly 14, 2018
The store has a new manager that is very poor at communicating with other human beings. She takes every opportunity to talk down to a person and is even condescending to customers. One could joke with her and she would lash out. Have had instances where management would be petty and not come to the front to resolve an issue with a customer's purchase. It holds up the line and makes the cashier vulnerable fo accusations of bad service or belittling from customers. HR department is terrible at getting back to people. I have called multiple times, left messages, and had no callbacks. They are not available on weekends and the employee portal has an interface that is lacking in content and easy navigation. There are only certain forms and no email for HR. Nearly no support for employees. Told to do things that put me at risk as a cashier. Customers really heckle and can be fairly rude.
Pros
Longer lunches if you work 6+ hours
Cons
Management, culture
very good training
Customer SVC associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 12, 2018
Stein Mart is a good company with lots of challenges, i learned many new tecnicall sklls and well trained in customer service. Friendly associates and very understandng boss, discipline is considered necessary to everyone to get its goals and visio.
Steinmart great place to shop and work
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXJuly 11, 2018
Stein Mart was a pleasant and rewarding place to work. All employees worked as a team and everyone was supportive and worked well together. Management was patient and coached in a positive manner. There were several repeat customers that would be greeted by their first name had confidence that we would know exactly what new merchandise they would enjoy. The hardest part of the job was standing for 9 or more hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was the rapport with the customers and the co-workers.
Pros
Discounts, first to see new merchandise, finding something special for customers
Cons
Very short breaks, painful legs and feet at the end of the day
Fast paced, meeting new people everyday
Boutique / Fashion Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 10, 2018
Once you get hired, the training was minimal, if you didn't have any prior experience in retail you were set up for failure. It is not what one would think, you would get written up for things you didn't know anything about. The turnover was EXTERMELY detrimental to the company. They cant keep a staff long enough to get anything accomplished. If you hire on to work 20 hours per week you may only get that the first week then the hours get cut from then on. Then if they ask you to fill in because someone has quit or didn't report to work and you say no, then you suffer from then on.
Pros
nothing free
Cons
did not like to honor your 15 minute breaks
You work more than what you're paid for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 9, 2018
It was okay. I worked a lot, and dealt with many stressful situations yet was hardly recognized for it. I did a lot more than what I was hired for and they made me work on thanksgiving, when I was told I would be asked beforehand. So I had to miss thanksgiving with my family.
Productive and Fun!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 9, 2018
I loved working at Stein Mart. The work environment was often fun yet very productive. I got along with all of my coworkers. This job is great for someone looking to get experience working with the public.
Horrible place to work!
Ops Lead (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJuly 7, 2018
If you are an intelligent individual capable of having your own thoughts and opinions - this is not the place for you! The Associates are told what to say and what to think. Ridiculous! No appreciation of Associates, just demand to continue to do more with no pay.
Look elsewhere! This Company is very poorly run!
Cons
Low pay, no merit increases, unprofessional management.
undue
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJuly 3, 2018
working at stein mart requires a lot of patience for not only the customers, but also employees. Instead of looking within the store to promote associates that have been there for years, they hire friends of the upper management. The hours fluctuate horribly.
Not the best, but decent for retail.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 2, 2018
Working at Stein Mart can be pretty stressful, however some days are the absolute worst by how slow we can get. There's really no in between. The management can definitely be better. I don't believe that they care too much about what type of person you are, as long as you can sell credit cards they'll hire you.
Pros
Employee discount, opportunity for associate of the month
Cons
Short breaks, poor management
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 30, 2018
I’ve learned a lot from Stein Mart; it helped me to maintain my time an to be an organized person at my job and also in my life. That’s why I was chosen by employment of month and less than a year they offered me to be a full time employee but unfortunately because of my school I wasn’t able to accept that offer.
i enjoyed working for this store
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 29, 2018
this was a fun upbeat team store the management was very good and patient i loved the department I was in and my co workers iam grateful for the time I was there
Pros
experience
Cons
not enough hours
The workplace is find
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 27, 2018
I like the place but I have to walk to much, now is ok because the season is gone but when starting the season is crazy I carry to much stuff and walk 3 time more that I do now.
I was expecting to get another position they never gave me nothing neither gave a explanation why so I felt bad for that so they don’t appraiser my job
Cons
Short hours
Overall
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAJune 27, 2018
This place has great management that care about what happens with their store and to their employees. Always fun environment and great coworkers. You learn multitasking and working quickly.
late shifts, low pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJune 25, 2018
late shifts, low pay, high demanding managers, rude customers sometimes, but discount is great, some managers are nice and cooperative with you hours, very hectic on 12 house sale
Stressful and unrealistic expectations
June 2010-December 2015, Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Albany, OHJune 21, 2018
Stein Mart is a terrific place to shop, but working there is entirely different. A typical day is chaotic, with a number of tasks assigned from the corporate office to be executed by the staff immediately. The tasks are often impossible to complete in addition to the weekly tasks.
The compensation is not competitive, and there is only a fraction of payroll allowed that is actually realistic for properly managing a store location.
Pros
Nice merchandise and employee discount
Cons
Low compensation, low payroll, unrealistic sales goals and merchandising guidelines
I have enjoyed working at Stein Mart.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 21, 2018
I enjoy working with the customers and the staff at Stein Mart. I am focused on customer service, retail sales, stocking merchandise and credit card applications. I help the store achieve credit card goals and sales goals daily. I have knowledge of the merchandise in the shoe department, home department, men's department, dress department, boutique department, ladies department and accessory department. I assist customers in finding what they are looking for.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
understaffed
productive and friendly
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 20, 2018
Working at Stein Mart is easygoing, weekly shipments means you are always busy moving merchandise. Employee benefits are nice with flexible work schedule
Pros
employee discount
Cons
low pay
Work Life Balance
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 20, 2018
Do your self a favor and keep looking. If you are willing to work more hours than you see your family or friends every week than this is the place for you but if you value your time off to spend with the people you love then this is not the place for you.
Cons
hours and expectations
Ok
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 18, 2018
Good place to work. I do not remember much. The pay was not good but maybe this has changed over the years. Management at the time was great, not sure how it is now.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stein Mart. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

78out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Stein Mart.

Powered by Comparably