Steinhafels Employee Reviews

Typical work day
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 10, 2019
I clock in and begin unloading furniture from trucks onto carts. This is usually what I do all day. If it slows down, I would jump on a stand up forklift and pick/put away merchandise.
Competitive sales force, be ready to swim with the sharks
Sales Associate, Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  now closed, Capitol DriveAugust 15, 2019
I started there part time as a design student, at the time, they were overstaffed, making it difficult to make sales quotas. Once the staff was reduced, it was easier.
The hardest part of the job was the competitive nature of the sales force, as it is an open floor, not an up system.
Pros
Free lunches on Saturday, discounts, health care, good training
Cons
Some managers were easier to work with than others
Culture of the work place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJuly 12, 2019
A family business that was very corporate at times and again very open and personal. The partners made themselves available and listened to concerns as long as you brought solutions to the problems.
Pros
Budget
Cons
cliques
Fun workplace. Hard work, but little pay
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Pewaukee, WIJune 23, 2019
Great work environment, management I have contact with daily is great. Corporate management could be a little better. We do not get payed enough for the amount of work that we do.
Pros
Free coffee, great coworkers, flexible scheduling
Cons
Low pay, corporate demands
Unfair favoritism toward certain employees.
Designer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 21, 2019
Cutthroat atmosphere but it doesn’t matter to management and above since it’s all about the money. Bottom line.
As a former designer there, it was impossible to eke out a living once a former employee returned. Sales associates won’t give a newer associate a chance. Favoritism and Greed. They smile and are kind to your face but stab you in the back! Management does nothing because there are personal relationships involved. The worst!
Cons
Cutthroat environment
Fun place to work nice Coulture
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 31, 2019
Furniture is. Beautiful furnishings are great and large range special order program with good competitive pricing great office furniture selection as well ....
Beginning of the END!
Home Furnishings Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 27, 2019
I was employed here for about 4 years and during that time a lot has changed for the worse. When I was hired it still had a family like environment and was a great place to work for. But all good things come to a end and I definitely see the END coming. Working commission sales you expect long hours but expect to be compensated for not having a “regular” family life. Major pay changes made in the past year have dramatically effected our incomes. I understand sales are down and some changes needed to be made but... DON’T lie to your employees that the pay changes are due to tariffs changes and not your greed. DON’T flood the sales floor with more sales associates to make up the lost revenue. DON’T have salaried “managers” make commissioned sales associates train the new sales associates. Speaking of “managers”... the biggest conflict of interest is having entry level managers be forced to also sell. Half the time you need a managers assistance and have to worry about them trying to weasel their way into your sale so they can hit their unrealistic sales goal to get their bonus. Also they don’t promote sales managers from within and hire unqualified people from non commissioned lower level retail positions. They don’t care about your income and easily get jealous if you’re a top writer making more then they do. I’ve seen a lot of great people who would’ve made great managers get passed over a sales manager position by outside unqualified hires. DISGUSTING and so disrespectful! Also deliveries... HORRIBLE. I personally have had friends make large purchases from me and have multiple  more... issues. The delivery department has no accountability whatsoever. If the delivery department screws up a order and the customer threatens to return the sale. Sales managers will discount your order and you will lose your commission. Also, you would think if you sold a product over 10 months ago you were safe from losing your commission... you would be wrong! You will lose your entire commission because weak spineless managers will cave to unreasonable customers, return the sale because it barely affects them and they’re scared of confrontations. There is still a lot of good people at Steinhafels even though many have already left. I met so many good people there that I will continue to be friends with even though management created a hostile environment. Once a company can’t even provide business cards, be scared. Unfortunately the direction this once great company is going is sad. I hope anyone looking to be hired here knows what to expect after reading this review. What I hope most is that someone still employed reads this and realizes that there’s so many good opportunities out here. Good luck!  less
Pros
Furniture discounts, some good people
Cons
Read my review even though I know I’m missing so much!
Manditory Work Shifts Every Saturday and Sunday - Avoid
Home Furnishings Consultant (Current Employee) –  WisconsinMay 22, 2019
Management is a "Good "Old Boys" Club. Poor communications and follow through.Lowered sales commissions and eliminated business cards for sales staff.
Pros
Free Parking, Nice Hospitality Areas for Customers
Cons
All comission pay plan, working every weekend.
Visual display
Visual display (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 19, 2019
Let me first say that I liked my actual job. It was all the drama, lying, and deceitfulness surrounding the job that I couldn’t stand. I worked with 2 other women on the display team. One of these women decided she did not like me. Unfortunately this person has management duped into thinking she is something wonderful. Once she decides she doesn’t like you, watch out. She has now gotten 3 people fired, including myself. I only worked for Steinhafels for around 3 months. I was given a glowing review on a Tuesday, which included a .50 raise. I was off on Wednesday and pulled into the office at noon on Thursday only to be told I was no longer needed. There was absolutely no cause for my termination whatsoever. I contacted HR and was told that because it was still within my 90 days that they didn’t need a reason to let me go. Heartless. This company is heartless. My husband and I contacted an attorney and they are currently reviewing all the information sitting my termination. I have never been let go from a job before, so this has been devastating to me. Especially since there is no cause for it. If you decide to accept a position with this company, just watch your back. Know that they can fire you for absolutely no reason, and they definitely will.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
The visual display team/management
Work environment is competitive but friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMay 17, 2019
I enjoyed working there. Because it is a sales job, you really have to know how to communicate with customers and know the product inside and out. But the people are great to work with and the managers are fantastic (they are absolutely the best). I learned a lot about the types of products and how different each vendor is. I learned tips on how to reel in a customer and keep them and create good bonds with clientele. The hardest part of the job is to not discourage yourself and not be afraid of customers, even if they reject your first initiation. All customers get questions occasionally, so be ready to assist at any moment and learn to multi-task if you are working with multiple clients at once.
Pros
Saturday Lunches, "your own boss", self-motivated
Not worth losing your faith that good employers exist
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 17, 2019
I initially loved my job here after I got used to the ups and downs of sales, but that is no longer the case. After a while, you start to notice how much the company does not care about personal or organizational growth. Communication throughout the company is awful. Store level management is deceitful and plays favorites. Upper level management is primarily a bunch of men who are friends with each other outside of work. New hires complain about not getting training so fellow sales staff end up training them for free. That's about where the "team-spirited environment" ends. Floor rules are constantly broken, and whether it matters or not depends on who you are. The commission codes and bonus structure were changed about a year ago. I saw coworkers, many of whom are older and have been with the company for years, get $15k+ pay cuts in one day. The company expressed no empathy. The compensation is no longer competitive given that commission codes are less than other furniture stores in the area. Since then, there has been change after change. We are expected to do more for less pay. Some of the stuff we are doing now is so tedious, and no one asks for or values our opinion. There are constantly rumors about what's coming next. Many loyal and long-term employees have left, and there are even more preparing to leave. Overall, the company is just proving that it lacks any core values, particularly integrity, and employees can only be pushed so far.
It was cool
Warehouse Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pewaukee, WIMay 14, 2019
I made a lot of furniture there. It was a chill and relaxed environment for a young guy like me and the pay was really good. All of your work was pretty much on you which was nice as well.
DO NOT work here... managers are very lazy and lie to your face. They want chaos on the sales floor that’s why they flood it with sales people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIApril 16, 2019
Never ever choose to work here, they don’t train you nor do they want to help you if there’s a problem figure it out yourself. The managers are very lazy and lie to your face about anything. They would rather have a flooded sales floor then to just have enough workers needed for a shift. Co-workers are cut throat and will steal a sale right under your nose. Any job would be better then working here
Pros
Cons
Way too many to list
Great Furniture @ Better Prices
Furniture Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, WIApril 11, 2019
As Steinhafels expands, the Family Owned & Atmosphere was substituted by corporate greed & profit, contributing to the lack of passion from employees.
Pros
Opportunity to make above average income
Cons
Disconnect between Management vs Sales Consultants
Used to be so much better
Zone Manager Main Floor (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMarch 8, 2019
The amount of sales people doubled in the last year. Chances with customers have been cut in half. My income has been cut in half as well. They do not come close to paying what they promote online.
Customer Service
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, WIJanuary 28, 2019
This was a difficult position for lack of help and so many phone calls that would come into the office. Scheduling of client service calls was hard because of the distance between calls.
Pros
steady work
Cons
short breaks
Forklift operator
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJanuary 9, 2019
It's a great company my job duties we're putting away furniture and pulling customer orders scanned each item I put away in each and every different location
Pros
Lunch breaks stretching on breaks
Cons
Health care
Aggressive
Sales in Furniture (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIDecember 2, 2018
stealing of sales is encouraged. Only aggressive sales people survive and thrive there Aggressive coworkers commission pay. Too many sales people on the floor made it a very cut throat environment.
Pros
Cons
stealing of sales
Steinhafels
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WINovember 26, 2018
Good company to work for depending on which location you work at. Sales are relatively easy but depending on your location stealing of sales is encouraged. Only aggressive sales people survive and thrive there.
Clearance Sales
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WINovember 8, 2018
This was my first commission based sales position. I had a good experience considering I would not work for commission again. Though friendly, coworkers are quite competitive and there are many unspoken rules. Compensation varies with how much you sell and hours you work. Management is very supportive and computer systems are up to date. If commissioned sales is your type of job, Steinhafels is great.
Pros
Friendly environment, lots of opportunity to sell, good environment
Cons
Aggressive coworkers, commissioned pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steinhafels. Our community is ready to answer.