Stella Jones Employee Reviews

Poor lead men
Machine Operator I (Current Employee) –  Goshen, VAJune 26, 2018
When you work 6 days a week the last thing you want to lose time to is your lead on his cell phone. On eBay and texting people trying to find his wife's recipe book.Paper work wrong inventory off.No maintenance crew. Hostile employees
Pros
Cons
Sweat shop
productive work place
Operating Engineer (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJune 8, 2018
I like my job, and everything about it , it is very fast past , you work in all types of weather , the guys I work with are pretty helpful , work hrs are good
Pros
you make money
good company
Environment, Health and Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  DuBois, PAMay 16, 2018
good company to work for. good pay. good safety culture. been here for five years and enjoy everyone I work with on a daily basis. management cares about safety and it shows.
Pros
good company
Cons
n/a
Office
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winslow, INApril 22, 2018
It was great working at Stella-Jones. Everyone in the office was great to work with except the office manager. It was a very relaxed office to work in.
I felt very welcome when I was hired on at the office.
The guys that worked on the yard were very friendly. I miss working with that group.
Not Good
MO2 Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Clinton, KYApril 19, 2018
I plain and simply did not like the work environment .A typical day at work consists of processing wooden cross ties for the railroad. I was in charge of bringing cured stacks of ties to a grapple operator who would stack them to be pressure treated with creote. Our boss was a dictator and was constantly creating a hostile work environment for his staff. I was forced to work long hours without consent and very short notice. usually one day. But I really did enjoy operating that big diesel powered lift and working with my coworkers.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Rude Bosses
Buying Ties
PROCUREMENT MANAGER/ TIE BUYER (Former Employee) –  Montevallo, ALDecember 13, 2017
Meeting new people and learning something different on a daily basis. Establishing new and old connections to stream line green product availibility for covering industry needs and contract obligations.
Pros
Travel expense's and meal's refunded from company monthly
Cons
Duties require staying away from home on ocassion
Stella Jones was a great place to work and offered a lot of opportunity
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fulton, KYDecember 3, 2017
Stella jones was a great, safe place to work. With a very impressive no loss time accident record, over 1,000 days. Also breaking records company wide every year!
Stella jones was a pretty good job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Cordele, GANovember 1, 2017
Good job just expected not to get laid of so fast. Had all the benefits you needed. Safe place to work at. A man with a family could live ok there. It was pretty good.
Electrical Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Goshen, VAOctober 20, 2017
Good bunch of guys never had any problems or conflict out of anyone there. Its a sawmill so you can't expect to much as far as extra perks but they do pay for your uniforms and boots.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Cold in the winter
Small Public Company with Family Owned Atmosphere
EHS Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cordele, GASeptember 4, 2017
I enjoyed working at Stella-Jones the entire time I was employed there. Even though it is a publicly traded company, it has that small business, family owned atmosphere that keeps things stress free, but has the shared interest, investment, and accountability of a large corporation that made you feel confident that the company is doing the right thing. It's a manufacturing company, so we always had problems, but everyone works well that all problems get addressed. No politics, no bull. I would work there again.
fast pace
Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Russellville, ARAugust 13, 2017
Good for someone who only wants 40hrs a week. Insurance not good for our area. To much micromanaging. employees word only good if your a supervisor, everyone else is just lying.
Pros
good 401
Cons
healthcare, micro managment, lack of trust
productive work place fun to work at
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Montevallo, ALJuly 17, 2017
Outside work place dealing with heavy wood etc..crosstires. Very nice management doesn't have to worry about them..they make sure you are hydrated provided with Gatorade
productive effecient work place
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJuly 1, 2017
Great place to work if you like hands on dirt. a day at work in the Stella rail yard consist of loading and unloading rail carts and trucks. treating rail ties and cutting rail ties. Theres not to many places to hide from weather conditions you work outside 8-10 hr days.
Pros
all workers treated equally
Cons
lay off rates higher
Other than wondering if you are going to be laid off! It's the best job ever
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJune 21, 2017
The hardest part of the job I'd say is a ground man labor position. But nothing here is that hard!! The worst part of the job is knowing some coworkers make the same if not more and cannot or don't want to do everything their job entitles!
Pros
I'm working
Cons
The worry
busy with good production
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Wilton, ALMay 15, 2017
it is fast paced and safety comes first managers are very easy to get along with as long as you do your job and always be safe on the job i learned to work safeley and productive it taught me that working hard is a good thing i enjoyed my job al together
Pros
overtime
Cons
cut backs
Unpleasant work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winslow, INMay 9, 2017
This company is a growing business and the environment is very stressful and fast paced. There is a lot of pressure on management, I believe, and that pressure is felt throughout the workplace. There is NO room for error in the work place.
fast pace
Forklift Operator/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Goshen, VAApril 25, 2017
its hard work at a very fast pace an IS extremely dangerous I learned to operate different kinds of equiment an you work under little supervision an they give you a lot of reponse ability
Pros
hour lunch the company really cares about their employees
Cons
very dangerous
good people bad management
Prefab lead person (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARJune 21, 2016
it would be a better place to work if it wasn't for the plant manager, he creates a hostile working environment for the employees
Pros
good people
Cons
bad management
Terrible!
M02 Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Fulton, KYAugust 8, 2015
The pay at Stella Jones was decent at $14.00 an hour after you became a regular employee. Most people start of as temps making 9.00 hour. They do require you to work the overtime and weekends. I am a Christian and I was offended by the language at work but I still got along with my co-workers and maintained good work relationships. My supervisor was the problem. He was very indignant and rude to me and my fellow employees and quite frankly overbearing. He made an otherwise good job with decent pay miserable. My job entailed moving packs of wood called bites from a stacker rack to the road where they were temporarily stored or to the curb where they were treated in a high pressure chamber. I worked many long hours and never missed work but I still was singled out by my supervisor. I was disappointed that upper management wouldn't listen and I felt powerless to fix the problem.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
job culture
Stella Jones
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bangor, WIMarch 7, 2015
Do what ever has to be done. Quality is important. Work with very help full people, everyone watches out for every one else. For me is no hard part of job. I do enjoy working no mater what the work.
Pros
Outside a lot.
Cons
Low pay