Sterling National Bank Employee Reviews

worst bank I've ever seen
Senior Licensed Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Franklin Square, NYApril 12, 2019
They bought out Astoria bank and it was a horrendous transition. They closed branches and laid off valuable employees, both in retail and back office. They have ZERO value added programs and working here in any role is basically fielding customer complaints. Unless you want a job where can never deliver and never solve any issues customers have, stay away.
Great experience
Chief Technology Officer/Acting CISO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2019
I really enjoyed working at SNB because of the collaborative work culture and stretch goals to prove your abilities.

Best opportunities available for career advancement.
Supported your efforts for growth and career advancement
Assistant Vice President, Facilities (Former Employee) –  Montebello, NYFebruary 26, 2019
In the early years of Provident Bank, it was the best place to work. It was more like a family; the people so friendly. I've made several life long friendships from working there. Most of Sr. Management were very supportive and encourage learning, growth and career advancement. I looked forward to going to work.
Pros
it was more like fun, not a job
Cons
not much great benefits, vacations and holidays.
Poor management
Virtual Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYFebruary 26, 2019
Not much to review. Job was stressful. Systems we worked on were very aged. conversion with astoria was horrible. few people who are managers don't know anything about management they are just there because they started at the very bottom and now they've been given promotions. Being qualified is no good here. My direct manager or team lead was excellent.
Pros
free lunches, flexible schedule
Cons
monitor breaks, have to call them if you have to use restroom
Tactless, Undiplomatic, laidback Directors, Managers, Assistant Manager.
Transaction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lake Success, NYFebruary 22, 2019
I worked at Lake Success Operations. Deposit Operations/Transaction Processing Dept.
Mean, rude, unapproachable, lack of politeness - bosses. No inclusion and diversity, poor cultural differences. If you are Christian or Jewish and eat, drink and gossip like them, then you are part of the work culture there.
Lots of gossiping (especially during the merging of Astoria to Sterling Bank) and workplace politics on company time. Alot of negative attitude (words, facial expression, body language) towards the merger(Sterling National Bank). Some directors and managers painted a good Jolly front page only when the CEO-Jack Kopnisky and his team is visiting. Wow, they are great at Faking.

I was a very dedicated employee who always strives for "Above and Beyond" and excellent work ethic, great team player. work excellent in a group of 5 dedicated colleagues(whom very seldom get recognition from Assistant Manager- who had favoritism with a staff who she gossip with every day. I lasted there because of my wonderful supervisor who was extremely loyal to her work and team - miss her, now retired. I work extremely hard during the conversion of Astoria/Sterling and was laid off in the summer of 2018. Some colleagues who were on the layoff list was chosen by managers and Directors to stay on with the company. It became a ??. (why they were chosen, definitely not for excellent work or work ethics).
Is sad to see that many of these negative bosses are still on their jobs at Lake Success.
Let Clients decide if this is the bank(who has no inclusion and diversity in management) they choose
  more... to do business with.  less
Pros
The Merging with Sterling National Bank, the CEO, a wonderful human being
Cons
Tactless and undiplomatic management.
Great Culture
BSA Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYFebruary 21, 2019
Sterling National Bank provided me with a rewarding Internship experience. I was selected to intern here from my program Year Up. During my time here I worked in the BSA department of the bank. There I grew my personal network with my team and learned the ins and outs of financial crime Management.
I enjoyed working for sterling
Sales Associate / Teller (Former Employee) –  Goshen, NYFebruary 19, 2019
The only reason i left was because i moved out of the area and relocated to care for my mom fulltime. I enjoyed working in the Middletown and Goshen branches.
Very stressfull to work at the financial center
Senior Licensed Personal Banker/Officer in Charge (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 13, 2019
Too much to handle, too many tasks, no breathing room. The company want too much of its employees and there is very big foot traffic that take up a lot of time of the staff and not enough staff to handle the work load.
Relaxed easy going
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYFebruary 12, 2019
Very friendly staff. easy work willing to train as much. willing to work through any problems you might be going through. you have your own cubicle and own organization.
Great atmosphere
Great customer service (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYFebruary 8, 2019
The atmosphere culture was relaxed to work at. The review and booked loans on a daily basis. Everyday was different and diverse work wise. Working on complex loans daily was very interesting.
Not a pleasant experience
Manager, Financial Support (Former Employee) –  Lake Success, NYFebruary 3, 2019
I was much happier prior to the merger - Sterling's public philosophy is just that for the public. How they treat their employees after merger is a completely different story.
Cons
I was working 12 hour days 6 to 7 days a week for over a year. No appreciation was ever shown
a very competitive place to work sales base commision
Senior loan officer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 30, 2019
my typical day at work was sales calls to set up appointments to close deals on peoples n families health n life insuranance policys which was based on a families income n status. ive learned to speak clear n positive and know every question that is asked the very best u can to insure the people know what your telling them in their benefits n package. selling a policy is the hardest to close a deal on an insurance policy is quite hard concidering how expensive health insurance is. Hard dedication n hard work pays off when u are number 77 in the country like I was n ive gotten to be very happy knowing I got family n families into a great insurance plan n saved them a lot of money by switching to me.
Pros
got incentives free lunches n trips to get away
Cons
shortened days cold calling n no closers for a month straight
Poor company structure
Various Positions Held (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2019
Upper management is a joke. No job advancements available. Constantly laying people off to acquire new banks. Then constantly closing offices and laying off more people. No one responds in a timely fashion. Unprofessional. Constant management changes and department changes. It gets very confusing not knowing who to go to for things. There is no morale amongst colleagues. Everyone looks out for themselves and it's clear as day, even when working on a team. Someone will throw you under the bus.
No job security
Confidential (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2019
There are constant budget cuts and Bank merges every 2 years , there is no job security . 200 employees were let go in 2018 and many were replaced with young and cheap talent.
Pros
Flexibility taking PTO
Cons
No job security
Collaborative and comfortable environment
Credit Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2019
As a credit intern, I was lucky to have a manager who supported and educated me in an environment that fostered teamwork and results. I learned about risk management for a commercial bank in a setting that valued the individual and stressed collaboration. A typical day included studying up on a small business to which Sterling had extended a loan, and then evaluating their financials to determine if the company was likely to make its payments.
Pros
Organizational culture
Cons
Dreary office
Truth of sterling
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lake Success, NYJanuary 3, 2019
This place is worse than Donald trump being president. HR IS A LIE THEY SUCK MOST OF THE UPPER MANAGERS ARE LAZY AND JUST TALK DONT DO ANY WORK AND SEND ONLY EMAILS. They like to fabricate stories. Some paki lady up above thinks she’s all that yet doesn’t get on the phone when the queue is high and expects calls to be handled under 4-6 mins. Like they suck this bank is terrible. They don’t know how to function. All the managers and HR are one they don’t believe anything you say they use and abuse the ceos are wack too for this they should send managers back to collehe to get a degree on how to talk to people and they expect us to be corridially nice to their clients, when all they do it complain
Pros
Cons
Everything bank is a disaster
Great bank
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 26, 2018
Very much customer service oriented ,educate all clients and potential clients on our products both new and existing . Make follow up phone calls also cross selling bank products finding the best fit for client goals in life .
No Break IN Policy
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2018
Make sure you have Drivers License or Non drivers licence ID
Company does backround check, drug test and bonding and would not even consider other ID.
Pros
Cooff machines
Cons
Office alway hot and small
it was a
Risk Analyst - BSA/AML Regulatory Compliance (Former Employee) –  Tuckahoe, NYDecember 17, 2018
A typical day at work included reviewing clients to see if they were in violation of the Bank Secrecy Act or engaging in money laundering. We would review clients on a case by case basis and make a recommendation to the bank as to whether they should continue with the relationship or not.
Absolute worst place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYDecember 16, 2018
This place is the absolute worst. I've worked at different banks, dealt with different conversions, but never have I ever been treated so poorly it's disgusting. I was thinking working at a small bank the would treat their employees better.... WRONG. Management doesn't care about their employees all they do is walk around and delegate and micro manage. Upper management is incompetent and can't even answer the simplest of questions. God forbid you're sick or have an emergency, no one cares. HR is a joke. That's why all of their competent staff quit. Horrible horrible horrible, stay away if you even the least bit of experience you definitely deserve better!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sterling National Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight