Steve Madden Employee Reviews

Productive and Energetic
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mercedes, TXNovember 2, 2018
Working at Steve Madden taught me a lot about teamwork. Being a sales associate was fun and very productive, but at times the sales goals were unrealistic. Working the morning shift meant that only around 5 customers walked in for about 4 hours and there were times we had to sell $1,000 in those 4 hours with only 5 customers that weren't interested in buying anything. However, that taught me to take advantage of every customer and make sure I do my best with every single one. Steve Madden helped me grow professionally because I had the opportunity to become a manager and expand my experience and work ethic. The culture is vibrant and trendy, which meant we had to make sure we looked the part and dress up. I learned so many skills, but I owe that to the supervisor I was lucky to have.
Pros
Shoes are the best.
Cons
Barely any raises.
Corporate with a mom and pop shop feel to it.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2018
Hands down the best retail job I have had. It was a job that became my career and I'm so happy to be with this company. One downfall is the management should definitely be paid more compared to other retail managers in the competitive retail work force.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Yearly Salary for Managers
'Very Fashion Forward Company
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 9, 2018
I was a Assistant Manager at the Lenox Mall location, it was a Fun place to work, but very stressful, Not a lot of room for career advancement, the compensation is poor, no work/life balance.
Pros
Great discount, Fun place to work depending on the store
Cons
No work/life balance, very poor compensation, Not a lot of room for career advancement
Working with Steve Madden is a highly rewarding experience
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Texas, LAAugust 4, 2018
I absolutely love working with Steve Madden! It is a great company that really understands its people. They offer great training, opportunities for advancement, and benefits.
Pros
Benifits, experience, fast paced work environment
Its business
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 20, 2018
it was the first real job I had. I obtained a few raises in a matter of months and a new position with another raise within a year. this was Steve Madden warehouse in FL years ago.
It’s okay but needs improvement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLJuly 10, 2018
I’ve worked here for few years. The culture of the company is very catty and not nice. The shoes are good for the price but the staff and upper management never get along. And it becomes a bad environment if you decide you would like to resign.
Pros
Pay is okay. Benefits are okay.
Cons
Upper management not very good at managing.
great place to work
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 30, 2018
stocking he new shipment of shoes in the back room, helping customers who come in to try on shoes, really try to sell a pair of shoes by telling them the benefits of wearing the shoe.
Productive and exciting work place
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOSeptember 27, 2018
Every time I went into work I was constantly inspired by all the new show designs. I loved working at the store and did it so I would have some more experience with customers/ fashion. It was perfect for me!
Pros
good salary
Cons
short breaks
Supervisor
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York StateAugust 12, 2018
Steve Madden as a company seems to be great but at certain locations, your hard work and dedication seems to only get you overworked, irritable and stressed as it is nearly impossible to get recognized, gain merit or ultimately advance in your career past the ASM role unless you're "liked" by those in higher roles as rumor has it. The work life balance may vary by location depending on volume/ store hrs, but given the turn over rate in NY, I think that there may be areas of opportunity in structure within retail.
Pros
comfortable, expressive atmosphere, friendly customers, amazing product
Cons
turn over rate, work hours, structure, lack of organization, growth seems far fetched
Fun company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 12, 2018
I loved working here just did not pay enough... but a great company to start management and very fast pace. You are not standing around you are steady moving.
Pros
People, environment, customers
Cons
Pay, and salary, bonus
Customer service always with a 100%
Assist manager/Active manager (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CA 91303November 30, 2018
Steve Madden is a small store with a small team so there is a lot of team work involved. Communication is key and customer service is a must.
A shoe shop that is consistently revolving around modern culture shoe fashion and runway fashion.
Also a retail store that is fast pace and high sales volume.
When I decided to leave Steve Madden I had moved and it was very sad to leave a place of work that constantly kept me on my toes. Specially over the holiday season with longer hours and budgets to meet.
However, our DM had to be replaced because of maternity leave and when the new Dm took over safety regulations were not being met, I was concern for the employees. I voiced my concerns and it did not make a difference. I did not feel like team work any longer and it made it much easier to quit.
Pros
High fashion products, employee discounts
Cons
lack of communication
Enjoyable working enviroment
Product Development and Design (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYFebruary 22, 2018
The environment though face paced, is pretty laid back especially compared to other fashion companies. There is no formal training and it is a sink or swim environment. The compensation could be better as well but overall, its an enjoyable working environment.
Pros
free breakfast friday, good benefits, nice company culture
Cons
pay isn't great, not much mentoring from management
My perspective on Steve Madden Store Culture
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94108September 11, 2018
If you are self driven and able to set goals for yourself based on overall company goals then you have come to the right place. At Steve Madden, every person is in charge of some aspect of the business. This is great for some, and not so great for others. It varies from store to store based on the District Manager and the follow up form the store managers.
Steve Madden stores are upbeat, colorful, energized show spaces that can be a style driven persons dream. It's an excellent place to meet people either employees or customers that become long term clients. The toughest part can be finding and maintaining the right people. Our society doesn't embrace retail like it used to so there are many that see this as just a job where they can do the bare minimum. It's up to the entire management team to separate the strong form the weak through training and ongoing development.
Pros
Excellent discount. Fair pay.
Cons
If your manager can't embrace all aspects of businiess then it's a tough to succeed
Great place to work !
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VASeptember 4, 2018
Steve Madden is a company that encourages individuality. Each store is special and unique because the company allows its leadership team to create the environment from the music they play to the way the store is set up. The only downside is that there isn’t a great work life balance. As a member of leadership I had to work every weekend which isn’t ideal for me. Overall Steve Madden is a great place to work.
Pros
Promotes individuality
Cons
No quality of life
Very fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZApril 29, 2018
The compensation could be better. Of course, employees want to wear the brand so more of an allowance should be give to the employees. Otherwise, you will overspend your budget.
Pros
Shoe allowance
Fun workplace with great discounts
Stock Lead (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 5, 2018
Enjoyble staff great way to meet new and interesting people. most days were steady pace and would pick up from there. pulling out shoes big, small, ask question about what kind of shoe are the looking fore and what kind of color.I learned how to multitask customers at once as well as build upon team cooperation.Management at the store was great understandable and reasoning staff. The hardest part i would say would be handling the go backs for restocking the shoes. You've got everyone going every direction with boxes and your going all over the place its a mad house. However still enjoyable job, the best part would be how ecstatic people would be in find the right shoe or several in their size for their event.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
small back room
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2018
Great place to work with opportunity to grow. Fast paced. Can work anywhere in the country. Family oriented. Learn from one of the best entrepreneurs to ever start a business. At first being a store manager was long hours. As well as weekends. However I wanted to eventually work in the corporate office as a trainer. I wanted to run training classes to teach new sales associates how to sell. In a sort of Human Resources position.
Pros
Discount on shoes
Cons
Long hours at first however once promoted to district manager, better hours.
would not recommend
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYAugust 3, 2018
you only matter if you are a person of high position. Very gossipy. training is bare minimum. HR is not there to defend you. Nobody there was very welcoming when I first started. My supervisor was HORRIBLE, she would work hard on making my time there very miscible, and her best friend was the manager so there was nobody there to help me through out this problem.
Pros
good discount, free food on fridays
Slavery
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Times Square, NYDecember 16, 2018
I don't recoomend this job to anyone, it's very stressful and they expect alot out of you and whatever it is they are paying you isn't even worth it for the hassle.
was a fast paced working environment
SALES ASSCOCIATE/ STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXDecember 3, 2018
really fun place to work. a very positive environment, management were super fair, nice and respectful. pay was decent. lunch time was 15-30 minutes depending the hours your work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steve Madden. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Steve Madden.

Powered by Comparably