Steward Health Care Employee Reviews

is the grass greener?
Finance Department (Current Employee) –  Westwood, MANovember 7, 2018
The people in my department is the most enjoyable part of the job. With the new acquisitions, changes, moving the headquarters to the Dallas area, the departments that are affected and has disrupted their operations. The workplace has become unknown, because of the sudden withdrawal out of the state.
Excitement led to disappointment
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Westwood, MA 02090October 31, 2018
I was hired in August of 2017, promoted in June of 2018, and then told that our department would be moving to Texas so we would be loosing our jobs in Sept. 2018.
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Hostile work environment
Good company to work for
Interim Director (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHOctober 30, 2018
Enjoy the team we work with and for. Management really cares about the organization and the patients. A typical day is keeping our nose to the grind and making it as productive as possible.
A lot is expected of employees - to the point where it is unrealistic.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dedham, MAOctober 24, 2018
There is a lot of turnover here because employee expectations and workloads are unrealistic. People are pushed to the edge and it is difficult to have a good work/life balance.
Erratic Corporate Culture
Supply Chain Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 15, 2018
Corporate C suite erratically demands information with typically end of day notice to deliver on demands. large ranging strategic and financial decisions will be made on a whim and changed just as quickly.
Fun
Clinic Nurse Coordinator /Surgical First Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 23, 2018
Enjoy the job, Good work hours. Family environment . Flexible work schedule. Fair rules and promotions. I have enjoyed working for this company so far.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Some long hours
Strive every day to do better than my last best accomplishment
Supply Chain Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 19, 2018
I like to work in an institute that has a diverse group of passionate change-makers, creative fixers and relentless advocates, and strive to improve the health and wellness of the world’s most vulnerable populations
By far the worst job I have ever had
Medical Assistant / Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAJuly 26, 2018
If you think this is the place to be think again. The lack of management and structure is baffling. I have worked for various practices and this was by far the most unorganized, unprofessional place I have ever been. Work load gets doubled if you are a good employee and the others just sit around and come and go as they please. I highly recommend you keep looking. They paint a pretty picture at first but then you learn the hard way. Turn over is HORRIBLE and for a reason.
Pros
You get to leave at the end of the day
Cons
Everything else
Apprehensive
Nextgen Implementation Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2018
Steward health care recently bought the company I work for. Soon after the purchase many employees were laid off, benefits were reduced, co pays for benefits were increased.
Pros
None at this point
Cons
Fear and apprehension
very productive organazation
Medical Secretary- Cardiology (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAJuly 25, 2018
Company that offers opportunity to grow professionally and the benefits are great.
Management listen to employees
They are available to us every time we need them
Decent
Project/Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 23, 2018
Be prepared to work long hours and weekends. The company has some of the best talent and expects you to compete for advancement. This is a growing company that has many opportunities.
Stewart
Clinical Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 22, 2018
The employees of the hospital are pleasant to work with. The hospital is a small community with a good communication between departments. The employees are like famly
Pros
the employees
Safe environment, great patient care environment
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Methuen, MAJuly 17, 2018
Friendly atmosphere for patients and staff. Equipment could be updated in my department.
Doctors are professional and competent. Affordable healthcare and great benefits package.
Pros
Good staffing
Cons
Management weak
A good teaching example.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
Steward seems to be run by a bunch of intellectually arrogant bullies. They are convinced that they know the best way to run a health plan despite that fact that they've never run a health plan. This seems to be leading to the rapid demise of the Health Choice (the health plan they acquired). Some days, I seriously wonder if their goal is actually to self-destruct. With management choices this poor, the only logical explanation can be that this is intentional corporate suicide.

But it's not just Health Choice. In department after department, state after state, the story is the same - Steward employees feel micromanaged, bullied, overworked, their experience disregarded. They don't have faith in decisions of upper leadership, let alone faith that leadership actually cares about patients. Turnover is incredibly high, and for excellent reason. When employees aren't voluntarily running for the exits, Steward is forcing them out with threats of demotion or termination and completely unreasonable performance expectations. Highly competent professionals are seeing the writing on the wall, they are tired of the abuse, have no more trust in leadership, and are leaving in droves to pursue other opportunities.

It's likely too late to reverse course on this implosion. Entire departments have been decimated and no-one wants to walk into that, or stick around for worsening torture. The situation at this company is quite possibly unsalvageable, unless they have the foresight to recognize the value in their employees and invest in the future of the company by showing a little
  more... support and respect for those few team members who are left standing.
TIps for upper management:
Treat people like human beings.
Change the culture of blaming and bullying.
Stop the nepotism and favoritism.
Reward the good managers, not just the sycophants.
Staff to appropriate levels so that employees aren't unsustainably overworked.
Pros
There are still some dedicated competent souls remaining to support others, HR is still trying to help change the culture to a positive one, in an attempt to slow the mass exodus..
Cons
Sooner or later, probably sooner, your soul will die if you continue to work at Steward. Sounds glib, but it's the best quickest way to sum up the reality of this company.
Company take over
Claims Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
Pros:
Friendly coworkers
Chance to work from home

Cons:
Poor management
Poor communication
Poor Benefits
401k match

Nothing left to say but they are making me write more
horrible place to work
Provider Enrollment Liason (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAJuly 11, 2018
I worked at Steward for 4 1/2 years and was let go the end of April 2018. Although we were really understaffed and extremely busy there was no support from management. Instead everyone in my department was written up I eventually asked them to let me go as the work was to much for 3 people and the management goals were unobtainable although the upper management did not know our job we were always tasked with projects upon projects that had nothing to do with provider enrollment. you only get promoted if you knew the right people same people got promoted over and over again.
Moral is awful raises again based on who you know they do not CARE about their employees at all nor do give you the tools to succeed.
I would rather be on unemployment than work in such a hostile envorment
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
under appreciated when you go aboe and beyond
Project Manager for New England Region Meditech (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAJuly 9, 2018
typical work week for a consultant is 60 hours. Steward will only pay you for 40 hours. very poor communication from Sr Managements and typically unrealistic expectations.
Pros
Cons
disfunctional sr leadership
Mixed emotions
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 2, 2018
Management is not aggressive at all, problems are swept under the rug to keep them quiet. Going from Iasis to Steward there have been decisions that make absolutely no sense, we are incredibly short staffed but no raises to motivate or retain are given, evals are done in January and if you don't get a good enough review you don't get a raise at all, turnover is very high and justifiable because employees aren't treated very well. You've just a body filling a space.
Pros
Insurance premium is based on income level
Cons
too much work for too little pay
over worked
Sebastian River Medical Center (Former Employee) –  Sebastian, FLJune 26, 2018
I worked as a CNA at Sebastian River Medical Center which is a Steward Health Care owned company. The turn over rate on the PCU floor was unbelievable. We were always short staffed and over worked, Cnas and nurses. Which put the staff and the patients in danger. They hardly gave raises and when they did it was a joke. Everything was always chaos.
Pros
as much overtime as you want
Cons
poor management
Does not invest in their emplyees
Admin (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 25, 2018
No training upon hire, rude and unsupportive management. Project objective constantly changing, wasting time and effort. Steward does not care to provide nor have the capacity to set their employees up for success

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Steward Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about