Steward Health Care Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A good teaching example.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
Steward seems to be run by a bunch of intellectually arrogant bullies. They are convinced that they know the best way to run a health plan despite that fact that they've never run a health plan. This seems to be leading to the rapid demise of the Health Choice (the health plan they acquired). Some days, I seriously wonder if their goal is actually to self-destruct. With management choices this poor, the only logical explanation can be that this is intentional corporate suicide.

But it's not just Health Choice. In department after department, state after state, the story is the same - Steward employees feel micromanaged, bullied, overworked, their experience disregarded. They don't have faith in decisions of upper leadership, let alone faith that leadership actually cares about patients. Turnover is incredibly high, and for excellent reason. When employees aren't voluntarily running for the exits, Steward is forcing them out with threats of demotion or termination and completely unreasonable performance expectations. Highly competent professionals are seeing the writing on the wall, they are tired of the abuse, have no more trust in leadership, and are leaving in droves to pursue other opportunities.

It's likely too late to reverse course on this implosion. Entire departments have been decimated and no-one wants to walk into that, or stick around for worsening torture. The situation at this company is quite possibly unsalvageable, unless they have the foresight to recognize the value in their employees and invest in the future of the company by showing a little
  more... support and respect for those few team members who are left standing.
TIps for upper management:
Treat people like human beings.
Change the culture of blaming and bullying.
Stop the nepotism and favoritism.
Reward the good managers, not just the sycophants.
Staff to appropriate levels so that employees aren't unsustainably overworked.
Pros
There are still some dedicated competent souls remaining to support others, HR is still trying to help change the culture to a positive one, in an attempt to slow the mass exodus..
Cons
Sooner or later, probably sooner, your soul will die if you continue to work at Steward. Sounds glib, but it's the best quickest way to sum up the reality of this company.
horrible place to work
Provider Enrollment Liason (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAJuly 11, 2018
I worked at Steward for 4 1/2 years and was let go the end of April 2018. Although we were really understaffed and extremely busy there was no support from management. Instead everyone in my department was written up I eventually asked them to let me go as the work was to much for 3 people and the management goals were unobtainable although the upper management did not know our job we were always tasked with projects upon projects that had nothing to do with provider enrollment. you only get promoted if you knew the right people same people got promoted over and over again.
Moral is awful raises again based on who you know they do not CARE about their employees at all nor do give you the tools to succeed.
I would rather be on unemployment than work in such a hostile envorment
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Dont waste your time
Nurse Educator (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAJune 28, 2018
Bait and switch on job description, terrible environment, its not what you know its Who you know! Leadership is non existant. Director literally said “I don’t have to tell you what’s going on in the department”!
Pros
good location
Cons
Dirty work environment and the worst management team
over worked
Sebastian River Medical Center (Former Employee) –  Sebastian, FLJune 26, 2018
I worked as a CNA at Sebastian River Medical Center which is a Steward Health Care owned company. The turn over rate on the PCU floor was unbelievable. We were always short staffed and over worked, Cnas and nurses. Which put the staff and the patients in danger. They hardly gave raises and when they did it was a joke. Everything was always chaos.
Pros
as much overtime as you want
Cons
poor management
Does not invest in their emplyees
Admin (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 25, 2018
No training upon hire, rude and unsupportive management. Project objective constantly changing, wasting time and effort. Steward does not care to provide nor have the capacity to set their employees up for success
Not that great
Call Center Operations (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 25, 2018
Management has everyone in the building on a write up, people are constantly spying on you it is a terrible working environment. They discourage you from making friends with your co-workers. They only move around favorites to desired positions.
Pros
They have overtime available
Cons
pay, working conditions, culture
Disrespectful, very unprofessional & micro aggressive behaviors
PA (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJune 22, 2018
Do not work @ this place!
Disrespectful, very unprofessional & micro aggressive behaviors & management deals with it. Not a place for people of color!
Pros
I quit!
Cons
Lack of respect toward people of color &micro aggressive behaviors
Very disappointing experience. Manager had communication issues. Hard to figure out.
Revenue Cycle Analyst (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAJune 19, 2018
There's a reason why there's high turnover. On the other hand, there are some employees that have been here since the beginning of time and they're just waiting for retirement. Miserably waiting.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Smokers constantly taking breaks and then being surrounded by their awful smell.
Steward Health is a terribly company
Director (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJune 11, 2018
I was with a company acquired by Steward. The acquisition seemed fine until we learned more about Steward. Steward doesnt care about employees or patients. There is absolutely no concern for patient care. There isnt even much care to do much work. They absolutely only care about generating reports, specifically budgeting reports. They will not give you time, training, or resources to do your job well. All they care about are reports. The person who could present the best "budget idea" was promoted, even if that idea was not reasonable or even possible. All others were literally forced out by bad work environments, random daily firings, or given work responsibilities of 4-5 people. Moral was terrible when I left, and the culture is not one of proving quality healthcare. I have worked for both private and public healthcare giant companies, they were much better run. These guys from Boston are just trying to acquire companies so they can go public and sell their shares, they do not want to provide good healthcare.
Pros
The ability to quit on the spot and not feel bad
Cons
The feeling of working for a drunk trust fund teenager who doesnt know anything
other people with there ear buds in, quiet and lonely
Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAJune 10, 2018
First coding job so really have nothing to compare it to
I learned as much as I could
I really have nothing else to say but this won't let me move on until it reaches a certain number of characters
Terrific Opportunity
HR Business Partner Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 3, 2018
The Sr VP Human Resources is, in a word, AMAZING! Reporting to her is an honor and a privilege. Our HR team is collaborative, engaged, hard-working, and intelligent. My work is challenging, and I learn something new every day. There is support for us to grow, develop, and pursue our career goals.
Pros
HR department is stellar!
Cons
PTO program needs to improve
Completely Awful Environment
HIM Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, MAMay 22, 2018
This is the most hostile work environment that I have ever seen. The current medical records manager is indescribably rude and nasty, a sorry excuse for a department head. I have never seen someone throw so many department staff under the bus. Numerous complaints have be filed with HR and nothing has been done. Management in total is lack luster. Trying to work with other departments is beyond difficult. There is no oppourtunity for job growth. It is a dressed up assembly line.
Pros
On site parking
Cons
Great place to learn and grow
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Westwood, MAMay 10, 2018
This is a great company to hone your skills in and work toward something better. Growing company that is trying to grow as fast as possible which sometimes can seem too fast.
Good job just didn’t fit my hours
Saint Anne’s hospital (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAMay 9, 2018
I enjoyed working in the kitchen but unfotunaltly school work and sports all got in the way of each other so I was working for extra cash cause of free time around school but once it all got in the way I had to leave unfortunately
Fantastic team to work with.
Senior Cerner Clinical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNMarch 9, 2018
Meet with hospital management to review what is needed to move forward with the new product. Assess current processes and workflows, and work on future design. We are on the road so not so much as a workplace culture as a team doing what is needed to produce a quality product that meets staff, patient, and government needs.
Pros
No micro management
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MAMarch 7, 2018
Steward is a great company to work for. I have a few complaints regarding management. Salary could have been better because I am sure they can offer more specially dealing with people with different backgrounds is no joke.
For profit health care company
RN Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2018
Great people in all departments. Though dialo fue is about quality Pt care, inderlying goals are about money. Orientation was inadequate to prepare for this role.
Micromanaged very stressful, no support from Management. Immediate Supervisor had no Authority to support her Team. to
Homecare PTA (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAFebruary 4, 2018
I worked in the Home Care Division 9 yrs. When calling out sick, we were interrogated about the reason for the sick call & asked to make up the sick day by working on the weekend, or next scheduled day off. As a result I stopped calling out. I went to work sick & finally left the company with 173hrs of sick time on the books which I was told I could not use or cash out so they were just forfeited. When I resigned I had finally just had enough of being given a greater distance to travel daily, then having to come home at night to complete documentation for another 3-4hrs. I had the most seniority on my Team, but was increasingly given last preference for scheduled time off, even with asking for summer or holiday time off months in advance. The compensation seems good until you factor in all the time you spend on the phone or at home completing documentation. There ends up being no balance between work & home life. Family time suffers, as well as your health & general happiness. As Clinicians we strive to provide excellent care to our Patients, but it cannot be done at the risk of our own health & well being. Having a Director that has no Interpersonal skills or Managerial Training & yet remains in the position after numerous resignations of Skilled Clinicians in hard to fill positions, reinforces the belief that it’s all just about the bottom line. There are positions posted frequently because Nursing & Rehab Staff retention is still horrible for all the same reasons as I have heard first hand. I left Steward 4yrs ago and was recently asked to fill a Contract position,  more... my former position! I said absolutely not, not for any amount of money!  less
Pros
Health Care Benefits, 401k, Life Insurance. Great Clinicians, Collegues & Coworkers
Cons
Over worked, poor Management staff, or Accountability of Management for the obvious employee dissatisfaction, resignations & reported complaints.
fast paced
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  brighton, massJanuary 30, 2018
Its run like a factory. Multiple people from above to immediate supervisors constantly on top of you to discharge the patients. Pay is good but I would not want to be admitted there
Productive, flexible, and relaxed workplace
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westwood, MAJanuary 23, 2018
One of the best work environments that I have ever worked in-relaxed, flexible, and fun. I had a great boss and I worked with some very nice people!!!