Stewart's Shops Employee Reviews

Multi-tasking and high volume
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Upstate NYDecember 4, 2018
This job isn’t as bad as some make it. Depending on the location, it can be overwhelming. Where I work I get about 120-200 people in a 8 hours shift, working with 2 other people. Multitasking is a must with every partner, but it makes the shift go easier. Downside is that they expect 2 people to do a 4 people job within a certain time and drive offs are at employee’s faults not customers fault.
Pros
Fast Pace; Great benefits as an employee;
Cons
Short Staffed; Favoritism; Drive offs at employee’s fault
Fast paced environment, customer service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Galway, NYNovember 9, 2018
Fast pace, stressful during busy seasons. A lot of responsibilities that need to be taken care of throughout the day as well as maintaining customer service standards.
Pros
Paid breaks, discounts while employed, career advancement
Cons
Job duties were important but customers take priority, so on busy days job duties were harder to complete.
Fun work enviroment
District Auditor/District Staff (Former Employee) –  Potsdam, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Company is a good company, dont offer enough freedom even in an upper level position, micromanaging is one of the biggest plagues this company suffers from.
Many hire with their heart not their mind.
Nepotism and cronyism can cause discontent with employees not benefiting from it
They offer a great opportunity to all who are seeking employment with room for growth and a phenomenal retiremnt/esop program
Pros
Good pay, good enviroment
Very good place to work depending on the location and staff
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Ilion, NYDecember 4, 2018
The store seemed to run very well, and I enjoyed the people I worked with. The customers tend to be a bit more demanding than most other places I've worked. Upper management was more laid back and treated employees better than my store manager did. I overall enjoyed working for them.
Run away
Partner (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYDecember 6, 2018
I worked there as a second job on the evening shift. Had to move numerous crates of product (Milk, Juice, Etc). Injured my back and when I was able to return to work they fired me 5 days later. They made up some excuse as to why I was let go. It was not true I could work circles around some of my co-workers who were 20 years younger than me.
Cons
NO breaks
Fast paced
Partner (Current Employee) –  Broadalbin, NYJanuary 12, 2019
The hours that I receive every week is not enough for my family to live on and when I want more hours they are not available as well as not being able to get health insurance for myself and family it’s poorly managed and I don’t feel I make enough money for my job requirements
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No health insurance
Fast paced friendly envirment with room to move within the company
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  West Milton, NYAugust 17, 2018
work was always on the go to different stores and locations for floor maintenance and upkeep to repair or polish and maintain cleanliness of the store.The role was exciting as it was never the same and meeting new people and making friends which you quickly consider family was an everyday occurrence.
Pros
friendly employees and everyday was different it was not monontinous
Cons
sometimes traveling to the various stores didn't allow enough time per store
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYAugust 15, 2018
Stewart’s is a great company with the exception of work/life balance. You are responsible for being on call 24 hours a day. The store has to come first above anything else. The pay is very good and the benefits are great. The company prides itself on treating employees very well, but this does not trickle down to the district managers. The district managers are not trained well and therefore they do not provide the proper training for others or carry on the corporate culture.
Pros
Health care, esop retirement, discounts, paid vacation
Cons
You have to sell your soul in order to succeed
Quick to learn
Stewart's Shops (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYDecember 28, 2018
It is easy to move up in that company. Can be a hectic day, & learn to multitask, but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. Have to ring customers out & pay attention to coffee & the gas pumps & other customers as well as prepare food, run the lotto machine, etc.
I enjoyed working there.
Fast paced. Good atmosphere, partners and customers.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brushton, NYAugust 5, 2018
This isn’t the job for everyone, but if you like a fun fast paced and challenging career then Stewart’s is the place for you. You constantly grOw as a partner because the company understand their best results for growing the company is growing g the partners.
Pros
Discounts. Pay amount. Vacation time.
Cons
Basically no breaks.
Just like every other corporation
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Monticello, NYJanuary 8, 2019
I worked at Stewart’s for over two years. I had one mix up with a schedule, and they fired me. It was good at times, but just like every other corporation they don’t care about their employees only the money being made.
Fast pace and fun Job working with customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Canton, NYSeptember 19, 2018
Working at Stewarts is fast pace and requires a lot of hard work. There is a lot of responsibility to keep up with the work with only 2-3 people working at a time. It is rewarding getting to know the regular customers and gaining a relationship.
Busy and Stressful
Vassar Rd - Partner (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 21, 2018
Stewart's is a very busy small corner shop that people like to get groceries at and get gas. The store I work at is busy all the time and gets stressful because of the customers getting upset over everything.
Pros
discounts on products
Great company to learn good work ethic
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYAugust 4, 2018
This company not only helped me become a better worker but it helped me become a better person and a hard worker. Its a busy day with tasks to completed constantly. My favorite part about the job was becoming close with the regular customers and building a bond between them and your partners
Route Floorcare and Light Maint duties.
Route Floorcare/custodian (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYAugust 19, 2018
One of the few retail convience store chains offering a retirement plan to their staff who work a minimum 1000 hrs per year. U like to work hard and never be out of work come join us.
Pros
Retirement Plan
Cons
Driving distance between stores in all weather conditions.
Bad Management Cuts Corners. Prefers speed to a job done right
Partner (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJune 25, 2018
Title says it all. Store manager would cut corners, ignore food safety, and ignore complaints. All he cares about is how fast things get done, and would assign blame based on hear-say. Many times I would get blamed for things I could prove weren't done by me, or I was told to do wrong. Always had proof, and it was always ignored. Customers would flat out complain about both manager and crew sitting around on their phones, but nothing was ever done about it, which is a serious problem when you work in 2 man coverage for the shift.
Cons
No breaks, poor teamwork, backstabbing crew
Clerk
Shop Partner (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  North Hoosick, NYJanuary 13, 2019
I loved my job at Stewart's. I was located where I grew up so I enjoyed seeing customers I have known for years. Work pace was fairly busy with down town to re-stock and clean up. I enjoyed working with my previous manager.
Management sucks
Shift Supervisor/ Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Selkirk, NYOctober 6, 2018
was a good job for the most part. decent pay if the manager liked you. They do not take good care of their employees and safety is a huge issue. One opener at 3 a.m usually female? very unsafe
Pros
not much. 50% off some food
Cons
safety.
An okay workplace, with some good people.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  perth nyOctober 5, 2018
My typical day at work is like any other day. Except I deal with some rude people and some very caring people. Management is okay. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude people.
Pros
Some benefits
Cons
Barely any breaks
fast paced
Opener/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Valatie, NYNovember 1, 2018
they don't take the time to move their people ahead in the company..they do not give you a lunch … you can take a quick break if your able depends on houw busy you are and how many co workers are with you...
Pros
discounts
Cons
no breaks or lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stewart's Shops. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight