Stewart's Shops
57Below average

Stewart's Shops Employee Reviews

United States510 reviews
Great company
This company really gives you a sense of purpose and help you to be the best you can be at your job. They help provide you with the tools you need to succeed.
Awful
This is NOT a cashiers job. Don't go into this thinking it will be easy. The shifts are long, there are so many things you need to be able to do quickly, and your shop is generally short-staffed. You hardly ever get out on time either. They don't adequately prepare you for the job. It got so bad that I almost quit on the spot one night. For the pay, go get an easier job. Not worth it.
Greedy and lying company
The company does a good job of luring you in with their promises of good pay and benefits, but the reality of the job is not worth it. As a manager, you're often forced into 60+ hour weeks because the upper management can't problem solve or live in reality. They do not care about a work/life balance and will give away your spot or demote you if you think about taking leave for a sick relative or starting a family. Too many good people are wasting their time at a two-faced company. Actions speak louder than words and Stewart's Shops has shown they do not care about their employees.
Each department is different
You rarely get out of work on time. The work is strenuous and ridiculous. The workers are often hard to be around. Loud and offensive. There are clicks and issues within management. The company has a good retirement plan but you have to be there 6 years to get 20% of the money. It's hard to even make it through one shift.
This place sucks
You work too hard for too little money. There are a couple good people here but at any point someone might stab you in the back to get on management's good side. You have no job security and your hours swing from one week to the next. They expect you to break the rules to get work done asap but lie and act perfect when management visits.
Pros
"vacation time" that you never get to take without being guilted
Cons
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Be Careful
I have worked for this company for nearly 6 years, as both a part time and full time employee. The job itself is easy, but you will only move up in the company if you're put into a good store with a manager that wants to help their employees succeed. I've worked in several different shops to not only cover shifts but also do to moving. Each shop has it's own type of culture and customer. Some are great, some are down right terrible. The most recent shop that has been my home base is extremely mismanaged and going to corporate doesn't seem to do anything besides make them be on your radar. I have experienced a hostile place to work in my home
base store. The manager leaves threatening notes about firing all employees and finding replacements for us where the customer is able to view the notes. You're better off working a different company if you wouldn't want to work in a hostile environment. You will be let go if you have external things going on such as: a loved one being sick, pregnant, a disabled child. or being ill regardless of having a doctors note. The only benefits to this company is once you work for 40 hours a week for 6 months straight you're put into the ESOP program and receive additional money each month in your paycheck. I wouldn't recommend this company to my family or friends. You need to have friends in the corporate office or high up in the company to know that you have complete job security at all times.
A day at work
A typical day at work includes great customer service skills, time management, awareness of all things, and cleanliness. The best part of the job is the customers you always meet new faces and the longer you work there the more regulars you have to make it feel like home.
It Was the Best of Times; It Was the Worst of Times
All Stewarts ask a lot from their employees. Workloads are heavy and multitasking and prioritization are musts. But, if you love keeping busy and tackling challenges, it can be a fun great job.

I started working in the Tower shop, which was known for it's instability. I believe there was a quick succession of five different managers or more within mere months. Every manager was completely different from the previous, and their personalities set the tone for the productivity and attitude of the shop--A perfect demonstration of how the head leads the body.

It was chaotic at times due to the constant changes, but I must say that was my favorite shop. I learned so much there. The core partners knew their job well. Also, customers were fun for the most part. They might've been the best part of the shop.

I found some people resented the workload more at other shops I worked, and there were some who didn't care about doing a decent job unless someone was hovering over them. Customers weren't as consistently pleasant and engaging with all the staff, perhaps feeding off the less enthusiastic energy of the shop. Hearing complaints was a regular thing.

And, there was a lot of theft in the other shops. Everyone on shift would get written up when there were thefts even though there were cameras and/or trends that made it obvious who the culprits were.

When I mentioned that to a supervisor, his excuse was that firing all the thieves and lazy people in one shop would leave the manager with two people on the payroll. So, I guess that means you just make managers fatten the files
 - more...
Pros
Awesome customers, no boredom, can keep you as fit as a gym membership, it can be a really fun place to work and grow when people aren't disgruntle
Cons
You have to fight for breaks, schedules often have errors, scapegoating is a thing, some shops have more drama than a soap opera, instability in management can mean instability in job satisfaction
Discriminate, terminate, and unfair pay.
This company does not pay their people fairly. Someone who started last year can complain to the manager and all of a sudden they are making more than someone who started there 4 years ago and is a manager. They will fire you at the drop of a hat with no notice, warning or reason other than being discriminatory by saying "you dont fit in."
Pros
Flexible hours, discounts
Cons
Discrimination, unfair pay, short staffed
Enjoyable with Faults
So long as you're not going to question some of the strange decisions made in the company, it's enjoyable, simple, work with some notable issue like the fact the company has a habit of thinking the employees are more likely to steal compared to the customers. IE: having 5 cameras aimed behind the desk and only 2 cameras aimed towards the cooler doors and front door.

Something I wanted to mention that happened when I first applied, was that at the time the manager who hired me specifically warned me that the company can and will have you fined/arrested if you make a mistake of either:

A. Failing to I.D a minor or unknowingly accepting a fake license from one.

or

B. Losing product via theft or Incompetence.

If this scares you or worries you in any way I suggest looking elsewhere.
Pros
Cheap meals when on shift, paid breaks, plenty of locations for ease of travel
Cons
strange customer base, can get reprimanded over tiny mistakes, rarely see any advancement
Was a ok place
Was ever bussy liked it cuz was always moving and had a lot to do and had a lot of customers like me working there and enjoy when I was there for to make a lot of food and leard a lot
Good for a part time job or manager positions. Few full-time partners.
They teach a broad range of skills and jobs. Good for experience and references. Not good for long time employment unless you are looking to be in managment.
Pros
Wide selection of jobs and teaches many skills
Cons
Hires 70% part timers in stores and gives fulltime only to members who want to be in mangment
Stewart’s
Stewart’s was a good learning opportunity. They have paid time off.there are many opportunities to advance in your career; have the opportunity to go into the Manager in Training Program; Participate in competitions between all shops in your district.
Please Consider Working Elsewhere
During my short time with this company, the supervisors and department head made me feel under utilized and unappreciated. I am a full time student who needed a good work/life balance to ensure proper time for my studies and made this clear during my time with this company and they did not seem to care. They expected us to stay late almost every day that numbers were not met even if we did not have the ability to do so. If we were unable to stay late we were scrutinized and treated unfairly in my opinion. One of my supervisors specifically told me during a shift that they did not care that I could not stay late and I did not have a choice whether I stayed late or not if the number for the day was not met. (We did NOT have mandatory OT at any point during my time with Stewarts.) I was also promised an incentive in my interview that I did receive but had to fight for after passing my 90 day mark which is when it was supposed to kick in. I attempted to bring my issues to the head of HR but was met with conflict when they told me that I was not the type of worker they were looking for with their upcoming expansion because I could not devote all of my attention to the company and my position. They then went on to tell me that I presented a weak resume and need to learn the meaning of staying at a company because it looks good on my resume to show longevity whether I enjoy the work or not. (Again, I am a full time student and due to school have not had the ability to hold jobs for long periods of time.) It was clear that rather than being a non-biased third party as HR should be, - more...
If you have a family stay away !
The upper management is extremely disrespectful . They treat you like dirt . They say you only have to work 45 hours but it’s impossible and if your not putting in 60 hours a week they will make you beg to keep your job and then eventually step you down . Terrible place to work
Highly stressful.
The demand of people and service with a smile can be stressful. There are less than favorable people out there to serve, and the few who are nice and polite are the best. I digress, it is after all, customer service at a convenience store. You will work your hide off for this company. You will learn much. You will do things that get changed very frequently. It can be fun. It will also upset you.
Great work environment
Stewarts is a great place for young workers to start out in. They have a great work environment and a sustainable work force who achieve their goals by working as a group.
The benefits are worth it, you just need to put in the time
Friends co workers and decent management. Benefits and stocks mostly worth it at an entry level job. Local and innovative company with a lot of room for growth for both the company and its workers
Stewarts shops
Amazing company to work for long term. The job looks super easy but it’s not, constant multitasking and having to juggle more than 1 task at a time will lead to a very successful employment at Stewarts. Amazing benefits.
Great work environment
They have a high paced work environment with a lot of different tasks to be done. They are also good with giving a flexible schedule and hours for partners.
The work place is a good atmosphere and loved to go to work. very fast pace and have to know what your doing. Worked in the morning time so opening was like a whole other world. I love working in customer service jobs like being about to talk with people
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stewart's Shops. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
2.9
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight