Stier Supply Company
Happiness rating is 60 out of 100

Stier Supply Company Employee Reviews

United States57 reviews

Grunt Work

Put your head down and plow forward, and you'll succeed. Pay leaves something to be desired. OT is nice and readily available. Constantly try to improve in both quality and speed and you'll be recognized time and time again. Builders will love you, your field manager will love you, and perhaps even your area manager will recognize your skillset. All this and more if you put forth your best effort. Work can be troublesome at times but really, at the end of each day you can feel accomplished. This is something that's hard to neigh impossible with any retail or desk job.

Great Carpentry, Absolutely Poor Management.

Has the potential to be a decent carpentry company, and at times with the specific work that you do day to day and fellow carpenters that you will meet in different areas you will have a decent time. But the poor field management in certain areas that treat you like trash, have no prior experience to manage you, and set you up for failure everyday. Poor communication, constantly making the workplace toxic, etc. etc. Along with horrible pay with NO opportunity to advance due to horrid management and NONE of these added benefits (ex. Company vehicle, car allowance gas cards, a decent tool allowance, uniforms, very little promotion, no family/paternal leave) not only hurts and often outweighs the pros to this job. But downright makes it impossible to stay with this company. You can make some great friends with the carpenters and respectful co workers you’ll meet at Stier but at the end of the day you may wind up paying more just to show up to work and drive around all day along with buying supplies/tools than what you get paid each week. Factor in a major headache from disrespectful and negligent field managers and area managers. Like a lot of workers here you might end up quitting before your 90 days.

Stier Supply Company insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Inclusive work environment

Getting level 3 can be in 6 months.Bring in someone for management rather than promote within.Expected to drive your own truck.Buy your own tools

I dont recommend this place unless youre trying to get comfortable in trim/construction.Pay and headache is not worth it for someone with experience.

Pros

They do have a tool payment plan so you don’t have to pay all at once and they don’t add interest

Cons

No compensation other than overtime, no recognition for achieving goals because there will be something they will criticize, no real pay raises

Doesn’t really accommodate people new to carpentry

This is a terrible place to work if you’re a BRAND NEW carpenter. Meaning never have done any forms of carpentry ever. They’re training process doesn’t educate you on the job terminology, they expect you to just understand the lingo immediately. The trainer themselves expected me a person whose never done carpentry to keep up the same work load as people whose been in the field for years in just two weeks of starting. I looked my field manager in the face and told him I'm overwhelmed with the work just for him to give me even more work. This job is not understanding if you’re new to carpentry so don’t even waste your time.

Great, People-Oriented Management and Culture

Stier Supply Company is a family owned company that feels more like a family than a company. Excellent work variety, benefits, and pay; forward-thinking, leadership minded front line and upper management. Excellence is valued and you are given the tools to achieve. Highly recommend working for this company if you value personal and professional development and are a driven, achievement and results oriented individual!

Pros

Great People, Great Company Culture

Cons

N/a

Good Atmosphere with Room to Grow

Stier is a good place to work. I really have enjoyed my time here. There are times of stress though, just like any other job. The DC gets lunch brought in twice a week, which is nice since there aren't too many options to choose from here. There career advancement opportunities here are great, put yourself out there and you can grow with the company. The management changed within the last 6 months, which has proven to be for the best. They have made many positive changes in staff and processes, which has made the environment better.

A Winning Company

Substantially better than the competition! A place to learn, grow and earn a career. Construction, Manufacturing, Loading, Delivering, Managing, Scheduling, and on an on for opportunities to better yourself and your family. Over 75 years as a family business that is still growing.

Productive and fun workplace

Stier Supply is the best company I have ever worked for! I’ve been here going on 5 years and I’ve never seen a company that cares as much for their employees as their customers, until I came to Stier Supply. They take great care of their employees, from competitive pay and great benefits to advancements in all directions. If you’re looking for a great company that thrives on your success as well as theirs, then I would highly recommend this company. If you put in the hard work the opportunities are endless.

Best decision of my life, tons of potential for growth. Great family operated company.

I applied for Stier Supply 3 years ago with absolutely no experience as a carpenter and very little experience in the workforce. I got a call the next day to come in for an interview within the next few days. They were very quick get me started as soon as I was able to. They were and still are very accommodating to each employee individually and to the company as a whole. Mon-Fri 40 hours per week, OT almost always available. Paid Time off and benefits are great and offered after 90 days. Structured advancement. Company parties/outings. More than fair compensation. Room for growth at all levels. Beginner carpenter $1000-1500 tool grants if eligible, other tool purchase programs also available. Like any job, there is stress and there are problems we solve daily but that is what we are here to do. Tons of room for opportunity, respect from all levels of management, the list goes on. It takes hard work, dedication, and good work ethic and a willingness to learn to be a part of this team and that’s about it - the rest you will be trained how to do. It’s not saying it’s perfect; nothing is; but it’s the best company I’ve ever worked for and It’s a family I’m glad to be a part of.

Strong Family Values; Positive and Supportive

Stier Supply's culture is positive and supportive. We are all here for one common goal, and we are one team working together to crush that goal! Every day I am made to feel that I matter, that my experience matters, and that my work matters.

Pros

Culture; Support; Team

Fun place to work around a bunch of grown kids

Do not work at this place they will get you in and trained up and make you all these promises and never see them through. The harder you work the less you will succeed in this company. Slackers get babied and paid all the money.

Pros

Easy money

Cons

Poor management

Great place

Great place to work for. They are a family oriented company that is all about work and life balance. They don't require overtime but do allow overtime if the employee wants it. Management is always checking to see if employee's need anything.

Terrible place to work

You are never good enough and when you are considered good enough you spent your whole life working for them. Management micromanages everything you do, you have to pay for your own gas TO EVEN WORK FOR THEM. If you have no money for gas then you are SOL

Pros

Get to listen to music

Cons

Bad for knees,back,truck,tools,bank account, be prepared to do all dirty work for the supposed trainer

If you want to donate your truck and tools to get the area manager his bonus for coming in under budget at you're expense go for it. At top out pay you are still loosing money,wasn't always like that but is now

Pros

Can work on own

Cons

Pay is low, raises good luck, dog out your tools vehicle and phone with no compensation offered

Decent pay and co workers

Pays Decent. When trying to get a raise it's pretty much impossible because only one person can evaluate you and they use him like a work horse to do everything across the county.

Experience gainer, not a career job

Simply put, its just an OK job. Most of your time you are managing yourself and completing tasks assigned to you.Downside is that the management team is disorganized and scattered. Half of the time they are juggling tech and builders we work for and have a flight by the seat of your pants work environment/style. Logistically this job makes no sense. Many times you are literally going back and forth all around the area wasting time and YOUR gas. As a tech you are responsible for providing your own vehicle and paying for gas. No compensation is given to you. Management will say "We pay for your time to travel" which is true. When you are driving to 5 different zip codes in a day and driving for many hours a week, it adds up. I roughly spend about $80 to $100 a week on gas. Not to mention the wear and tear on your vehicle. Wage does not compensate for that either. Upside is that for the most part you are on your own. Lots of freedom as to how you go about your day. You do the task you are assigned and navigate your day by that. Everyday is different.

Pros

Little Oversight

Cons

Pay, Management, Out of pocket expenses

Ok

Decent job for someone entry level looking for experience. Pay is low and you have to use your own truck which pretty much gets ruined. No vehicle allowance or gas $ for Techs. On average burning $15 gas per day.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Pay

Very Productive environment

Great company to work for. Great opportunities in advancement. Given many tools to help you learn and succeed. Benefits that come along with the job are great. Management is always there to answer any questions or seek an answer

To each is own

I wanted more but to each is own you have to find your purpose or you’ll be stuck in place. There is a lot of things to learn but unfortunately you have to learn them on your own

Good place to work for experience.

It’s a good place to work if you want to learn and make a steady flow of income. There’s potential in advancement but rarely happens do to the limited amount of workers. Turn over rate is high.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management could use some improvements.

Excellent family owned company

This is a great environment to work in. Growing company with a family feel. Employees are treated respectfully and talent is rewarded with opportunity.

Common questions about Stier Supply Company

Answered by current and former employees at Stier Supply Company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stier Supply Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Stier Supply Company with

• Stier Supply Company
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?