STIHL Inc Employee Reviews

Fast-paced Call Center environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 2, 2019
I would answer phone calls from our dealers throughout the United States, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico who would be calling in about a discrepancy in their orders. I learned a lot in the 13 years I worked for Stihl, Inc. I was taught everything there was to know regarding gas, electric and battery-powered outdoor power equipment. The workplace was great; we were all like a big family. The hardest part of the job was the lack of communication between management and employees. The most enjoyable part of the job were the majority of my co-workers, speaking with dealers and assisting them with resolving any issues they may have had.
Pros
The benefits we received, health care, dental, vision, 401k & retirement
Cons
The small percentage of negative, lazy workers that constantly complained
Good benefits
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 28, 2019
It's a typical manufacturing place where you can see lots of different machine. Assembled different product from different line. Everyday is always stressfull because you need to meet your target.The hardest part is when something happen in the part during the production went wrong or you put the wrong parts you need to hold all the production and look where and when it's start. But their is an enjoyable part when you work at Stihl their is picnic company,christmas company and bonuses and health fair.
Pros
Thanksgivings lunch
Cons
45 mins
Good Place to work
Production Lead (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 9, 2018
Good place to work under the right supervisor. Some let you do your work while others micro manage you. The work culture was family orientated by in recent years has become more strict in the area of spending, while still upgrading in technologies. Not good or bad just different.
Pros
Benefit package
Cons
shift scheduling unfair hours unfair
Best and Honest Review. Hope it gives helpful insight
Order Puller (Former Employee) –  OrlandoSeptember 11, 2018
Worked here for a year. I wouldn’t work there again unless I absolutely had to. Most of the management is a joke. They attempt to use the Stihl Inc. name, reputation and logo as their own, When in reality they’re two different companies. The lead walks around the place as if owns it and like to give hard time to minorities. They force you stay after your regularly scheduled working hours and occasionally on Saturday. If you attempt to avoid staying late or not come in on Saturday they will try to fire you or at least threaten your job. If your African-American don’t even apply cause they won’t hire you and if your any other minority expect a hard time. When you attempt to purchase a product you have to talk to the president beforehand and he makes your feel like you’re being interrogated in addition to talking to you as as if you can’t afford the product. Raises are a joke, health and dental plans are barely just above government requirements and 401k is pathetic.
Pros
Good for part-time/temporary employment
Cons
Pay, Benefits, Management, Environment, Hours, Job Security
Good pay and benefits.
Machine Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23452September 4, 2018
Good pay and benefits although management always look for people to point the finger at for problems when they are in a pinch and usually it's someone they can get rid of and train two more people in their place.

The leads on top of that are stressed out since management leans on them to get things done to near perfection and it trickles down into the work force.

Usually attendance is the only reason people get let go unless someone in the management chain doesn't approve of your work in which case they build things against you to replace you.

Just like any high stress, high dollar job you have to watch your back and document everything. If you don't speak up, you'll get thrown under the wheel.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits, cool people to work with.
Cons
Watch your six, someone always trying to get where you are.
Fast paced, wouldn't say an easy job but its a good job to have
Forklift Operator and Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 2, 2018
You'll always stay busy not a bad place to work, the warehouse manager play favoritism and can be unfair at times, other employees are easy to get along with. Its a good place to work, mon-fri 10am-7pm job easy to balance life/work at always have the weekends off and paid holidays
Great work environment
Automation Operator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 24, 2018
STIHL,Inc was a great place to work, with great benefits. If I didn't have major family problems I would still be there today. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Always learning something new
Cons
For me I have to drive an hour
Excellent freedoms and benefits with a loose schedule structure.
Technical Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 13, 2018
The expectation for weekly reports, daily CRM updates and travel schedule were burdensome. Time spent on the road for class schedule and dealership visits along with expected quarterly account meetings was high. I honestly did not do well in such a loos structure of employment. I prefer high stress and high paced work environments with focus on details and production or constant networking and p2p environments. Teaching was a big plus for me. Benefits were wonderful and the compensation was what I was expecting.
Pros
Excellent schedule flexibility and time off
Cons
Travel and reporting requirements
Opportunities are available if you seek them out and work for them.
Production (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 20, 2018
Many disciplines are available on one campus allowing many areas to branch out into. Opportunities exist for everyone from production workers to managers.
A challenging and rewarding work environment
Financial Accountant B (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with and was constantly being challenged to improve my skills.
There were limited opportunities for advancement but education and training opportunities were available and highly encouraged.
Pros
wonderful employee benefits incuding vacation time and bonuses
Cons
very limited flexibility
Qucik Paced.
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 18, 2018
Working in the Plastics Dept, it was an interesting place to work. Over 30+ Machines that are pushing out parts and the operators are in charge of handling them.
Pros
Paid weekly, Paid lunches, Tools.
Cons
Safety Issues.
Fun part time position for students
Shipping Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 10, 2018
Stihl was a great place to work and took me on knowing that I was looking for a temporary position before finding a path into the automotive industry. The pay is fair for the responsibilities you are given but with no way for students/part time employees to make more hours throughout the week, it causes a financial struggle and is not a place I would work at again due to this.
Pros
multiple breaks for all employess, good management, good employees
Cons
no way to get more hours if you are a student or a part time employee
horrible place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 3, 2018
I do not recommend working here. You have no rights when working here, they can change you job and shift at will.The management is horrible...........
Pros
you get a paycheck
Cons
many
Good company
Order Inquiries (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 25, 2018
offered a lot of company benefits, in my opinion better than other jobs, good work life balance. my only complaint was that management showed favoritism towards some
Pros
great people good benefits
Cons
favoritism towards some employees
Poor Management
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 24, 2018
Over the last years numerous changes in upper management have made the production area a miserable place to work.
After lots of complaints to HR, a 360 Management Review was conducted. The result was a very low approval rate of almost all key managers.
No changes were made, but a year later the same consultant came in to review the changes. Result was the same. In some departments like Engineering, Purchasing, Planning, Facility, Quality and Plastics the approval rate was in the 20% range.
As almost another year later, no changes happened.
Pros
Benefits and interesting product range
Cons
Upper management leadership style in manufacturing is way below the quality of the Stihl products
It was the hardest job I’ve worked.
Production Assembler (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 23, 2018
Working on assembly was difficult . To be able to meet the quota for a day, you have to be fast and accurate. The team lead wants you to work hard to meet the quota.
your job quality will depend on your manager
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 22, 2018
Stihl offers good benefits, nice compensation and fair vacation time. The company has many departments that are well managed with happy employees, however there are a few managers who are just plain terrible and are there to stay. If you work for any of the managers with no people skills, no management skills and passive aggressive practices, you will quit sooner or later. Its a shame really.
Pros
all the benefits and social engagements
Cons
bad managers in some departments
True team working environment.
Night Shift Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 5, 2018
Only employed 5yrs. and left with 15yrs. of knowledge and personal growth. A great organization to be a part of in an awesome location. The facility I worked in was very clean and organized, all facets of the organization were pulled together to make things happen.
Pros
Just about everything.
Cons
Had to leave.
Review
MATERIAL HANDLER/ASSEMBLY (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 1, 2018
Great company to work for from top to bottom, great compensation and benefits, very relaxed but fast paced. really enjoyed working there from day 1. AWESOME COMPANY
Fun workplace
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 16, 2018
By far the best job I've had. Great hours and pay. Good family oriented company. Kept the moral of the company up. Learned how to make engines for weed eaters