Stitch Fix Employee Reviews for Stylist

Work from home, but stressful still
Senior Stylist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 13, 2019
Stylists working from home save this company money on office space and full-time expenses, but the pay isn't great and vacation is basic for an actual full-time career. One of the benefits of working part-time is to not have to stick to the only 2 weeks off a year right? Nope. Just unrealistic goals and timekeeping for the quality of work they want to be done. Strict stats that they say are flexible but you get an email from your manager with any negative fluctuation, hardly ever positive. Yay Stitch Fix.
Pros
Work from home is the only pro
Cons
Tight inventory, clients that don't understand how it works, unrealistic expectations for average pay.
Progressive, feedback-based company
Senior Stylist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 13, 2019
They're a great company to work for, with a lot of heart all around. Growing pains are still evident as we just went public, and the business has grown exponentially over the last 7 years. The founder is a woman. The pay is market-based, and the leadership does their best to be transparent. Most stylist jobs are part-time, virtual-work from home, positions. Very progressive, open, safe, and inviting work community.
Not what they want you to think
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 28, 2019
I was really excited to get a job at Stitch Fix because I love fashion and I am really passionate about helping people find pieces they love and make them feel good. However, that's not what this job is at all, sadly stylists don't get adequate time or resources to style people effectively. The company makes customers believe that their stylists take the time to learn about them and what they like and dislike, however in reality stylists have about 10 to 14 minutes to style someone. That isn't enough time to learn anything about the person, and in reality, we have a very limited selection of items to chose from. On top of that customers can leave reviews of how you did, and many people can be very rude because they forget a real person is having to read their comments (you have to read all the reviews people leave about your work). The pay is really great, it doesn't really feel like enough for the stress, but it's still good. My experience with management has also been great they have all been very sweet and helpful. It really comes down to the fact that I feel more like a cog in their machine than a stylist, I'm not really styling people because I'm not given enough time to do that which is sad because I really do care about helping these people find things they love. If you do decide to apply and work for this company be mindful of the fact that they will try (intentionally or not) to mislead you in the interview, just how they mislead customers about the actual styling process. No one will inform you of the expectations they have, they aren't going to tell you how little  more... time you have to actually style. Be mindful of what you are getting into and ask questions about how many Fixes you have to do an hour and the scheduling expectations because they aren't going to tell you this information, at least they didn't tell me, and if I had known I wouldn't have taken this job.  less
Pros
Decent pay, nice management
Cons
Stressful, misleading, outrageous expectations
Great Job, Very Flexible
Men's Personal Stylist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 13, 2019
Stylists set their own schedules, very flexible hours. The Team leads are very helpful, and quick to respond with any conflicts or concerns. monthly video calls to discuss stats and job expectations. lots of room for growth
Pros
flexible scheduling
Stitchfix...the worst part time job, where it’s all about making them more money!
Remote Stylist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2019
They sell you on this great part time job as a clothing stylist- make your own hours, work from home, set your own schedule, all while helping women look their best in the clothes you pick for them...wrong!
Stitchfix is far from that.

What they leave out at the training is- it’s all about the money! The more “fixes” you crank out per hour, the more money they make.

And so much for that freedom- you have to punch in and out on the time clock, navigate your way around 8 different company web sites, stick to the exact schedule you create every two weeks, (or you get reprimanded) and god forbid you get sick, or something comes up and you fall behind on your fixes or work hours, there’s no catching up.

The job is 15 hours a week. That time includes: trainings, conference calls to check on your progress, paperwork, making your schedule AND styling!

Your trial period is mainly based on how many “fixes” you can get in per week.
Each week you are pushed more and more and they gradually add more fixes to your schedule with the ultimate goal of 60 fixes per week, which includes the trainings, emails & general office work!

Stitchfix could care less about finding the right clothes for their clients- my experience as a stylist ultimately meant nothing once I got hired. As long as someone is sending their clients outfits, they were happy.- it’s all a numbers game.

But at this place, you have to search their web site and try & find items to match your client with a very limited selection of very unfashionable cheap clothing....all while the clock is ticking away!

Clients
  more... often have specific requests and Stitchfix just didn’t have the merchandise to fit their needs, or they were out of stock completely making it extremely difficult to do your job, particularly in petite or plus sizes, but there were cardigans and striped tops galore! Nothing cool for the teens & 20’s gals- all very frumpy clothing.

My manager actually had me start setting a timer when I styled each client, and I had to explain to her why I couldn’t get the timing exactly to their specifications if I fell behind.

The majority of the time, you can’t find the right sizes especially when you have to try to stay within the clients budget. A lot of my clients wanted outfits for under $50.00, which was a task in itself! And if they don’t like what you send them, they leave you a bad review which reflects on you as well. There is a detailed scoring section on your styling reviews.

Towards the end of my 2 months there, I was racing to try & beat the clock, to get my fixes in but it was never really good enough as they just kept adding more & more & I found myself glued to the computer & taking my frustrations out on my kids because I had to get my work done!
Definitely not a fun work environment in the comfort of my own home.

The bottom line is- they don’t want talented, experienced stylists to work for them.
They need robots or computers to choose the outfits- that way they can just keep cranking out these outfits to these poor unsuspecting customers who think their outfits are chosen with care & them in mind!

The more outfits they have going out, the more money they make! It’s a shame, part of it was really rewarding when you did find the right outfits for people & had enough time to style it properly, but that won’t ever happen with this company.
They really don’t care about their employees or customers...just the almighty dollar.
Pros
40% Discount if you can find something you like!
Cons
Low pay, high stress, cheap, unfashionable clothing, limited stock & sizes to choose from
Mindful and helped me feel my best self everyday.
Senior Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 1, 2019
I was able to set my own work hours due to being a single mom. I spend 2-hour blocks of time on styling.

I enjoyed helping men and women find what best fits their bodies for work or play needs. Constructive feedback or need for improvement always allows me to grow.

The culture and management at this company are what has kept me here so long and will continue to do so part-time. Management and training are always available anytime an employee needs them.

Lack of adult interaction.

Helping men and women feel and look their best selves.
Pros
Helping men and women feel and look their best selves.
Cons
Lack of adult interaction.
Work from home
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75211March 15, 2019
This job is part-time so you set your own hours(if you work from home). I worked onsite in the warehouse so I worked full-time hours. It was not easy getting the stylist position. I had to really separate myself from my peers. The discounts on clothes was great! I bought a lot of clothes and accessories that I love! I had to quit because the commute was too far but I did like the clothing perks and the free food for every holiday and for meeting goals.
Pros
discounts on clothes, free food, maternity leave
Cons
hard to move up, competitive
Part-time Remote Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 6, 2019
Super flexible and great work environment. Very communicative company with great goals and compensation for a busy full time working women. Lots of benefits and perks
Fun place to work
Lead Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 9, 2019
Great place to learn and gain new experience. However, some of the employees who have been around a while & are in management feel that their tenure grants them some type of expertise over actual applicable experience to the position and are sometimes underqualified and overpaid.
Fun job but rigorous productivity standards
Remote Personal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 13, 2019
Overall loved the job but it started to feel like they cared more about the numbers than the great customer service and quality of fixes I was provided.
Personal Stylist
Personal Stylist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Inventory makes it difficult to meet metric requirements. Fix per hour goal can feel high. Not much movement available. Overall culture of the company is good. Seems to be getting a little more "corporate".
Laid back and pretty easy
Part Time Stylist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 23, 2018
This job is like a unicorn. It's not easy to find/get, but once you get it, do not let it go. You can work whatever time of day you choose, as long as you work the number of hours you scheduled for yourself for the day. You style clients all day long. I have not complaints other than it does get a little repetitive if you have been doing it for years as I have. It's also the PERFECT job for someone who needs to supplement their income like myself--a single mother. You don't have to pay for those extra daycare hours because you can do it at home after the kids are in bed...while you are in bed sipping tea in your PJs.
Pros
Create your own schedule, work in the comfort of your own home
Cons
Can get a little monotonous sometimes
Hard to even recommend as a part-time position
Remote Stylist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 19, 2018
Working as a remote stylist for Stitch Fix is one of the most mind-numbing jobs I've ever had. It's extremely isolating to work from home. Don't be fooled by your manager telling you that you have advancement potential. It's just an incentive for you to unnecessarily push yourself to work more than the required # of clients per hours to "impress" them... and then the little sorority girls keep on with their office parties & nonstop vacations, that you then are required to read about in 2x weekly emails. These managers have absolutely no business being managers. The monthly Skype meetings are beyond pointless. The expectation that you can read all of your emails, all of your client feedback + do any other Stitch Fix required items in ONE hour (no matter if you're working 15 hours or 30) is insane. The inventory is atrocious.. I mean I don't even recommend my friends to even use this company because their inventory is so bad/ugly/unfashionable. It's also a total rip off for clients. $15 an hour with NO benefits is frankly insulting & all we get is a "Congrats!" sort of email every couple of weeks blasted off to the entire team from our manager. Can't dissuade people from working here enough, even if it is part-time.
Pros
choose your schedule
Cons
NO benefits, mindnumbing meetings, $15 an hour
Don't Plan on Supporting Yourself, or Advancing
Senior Remote Stylist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 12, 2018
I was hired on when Stitch Fix was a startup. It was fun, flexible, and seemed like advancement was easy. Fast forward almost 5 years, and it's like working for a different company. Since the company went public they've lost their client focus. There is more emphasis on expansion which is leaving HUGE gaps in other areas, for example, inventory. When there is nothing to send clients our only option is to scale back our hours. Many of my fellow stylists don't do this as a hobby, we depend on it to pay bills and feed mouths. So, all this means to us is less work = less pay. Also, the pay structure is dismal. You receive one raise when you become a "Senior" Stylist, and nothing else. Ever. After 5 years, I'll get a pin. Not satisfactory. They need to learn to value their employees. There are no incentives to ever do any better. I style 3 lines and launched 2. I make the same amount as another stylist styling one line only. Also, they now limit our UNPAID time off. I'm not talking blackout periods, I'm talking total time off all year to 30 hours. Keep in mind, they are NOT paying us for this time. However, my direct supervisor or "Lead" easily spends 2 weeks of every month on PAID time off. Also, the extra meetings and activities they have implemented are just not necessary for long-term employees and make the job far less flexible than it should be. I have been actively looking for other employment, but as of yet haven't found anything that allows me to work when and where I can as much as Stitch Fix.
Great
Stylist (Current Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 23, 2018
Great place to work - the CEO is amazing and the people that work there are so bright and kind to everyone they meet. Excellent job and place to work.
Great Environment
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Stitch Fix does a great job of successfully managing thousands of remote employees. This technologically advanced company is very focused on the customer and best serving them.
Flexible and Fun
Remote Stylist-Part Time (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 7, 2018
Stitch Fix is the best company I have ever worked for!! I am so blessed to be a part of this startup. They have flexible hours, ongoing training, management recognizes you and also helps you with any problems or issues. They have organized events to appreciate you and include your family and friends. Styling Fixes and delighting clients are the main goals of this position. I highly recommend this company!!! Best of Luck :)
Pros
Flexible schedule, positive work place, mangers are encouraging and helpful, Road shows and training, discount, family events
Flexible
Senior Stylist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 1, 2018
Great for stay at home moms or as a side job. Must be very good with time management and be able to hit weekly expectations. It is what you make of it and can be very fun but sometimes is tiring.
Career as a Stitch Fix Stylist
Online Women's Stylist (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 30, 2018
The typical workday depends on each person's personal schedule. I learned a lot about fashion, various styles and personalities and how it can influence a person's ideas towards fashion, edit and write a short personal and inspiring letter to each client, understanding body types and how it affects the fit of a clothing item (s), and how to effectively manage your work schedule as well as your personal time. The work culture is an extremely supportive community, whom all share a passion for style and for helping people feel good about themselves and reflect it in their outward appearance. First impressions are important! The hardest part of the job is getting clients fashion picks completed and a personal letter provided for them at a quick pace. The most enjoyable part of the job is the community you will develop with other employees av=cross the nation and your supervisor: the pleasant comments and feedback you will receive from customers who are excited about their surprised "picks": and the incredible styles you get to see firsthand and learn about.
Pros
Flexible hours and rate of pay; the work community and support
Cons
Required number of clients to "Fix" or style for each hour or week can be stressful
Love working here
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Parker, TXJuly 3, 2018
I love working for this company. It has an amazing culture and I love the flexibility. I make my own hours and work from home. I will never quit this job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stitch Fix. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss