Stony Brook Medicine Employee Reviews

Good units
Travel RN ICU (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 16, 2019
Worked in Burn ICU, management never cooperated with floating and nurse:patient ratio. Majority of patients required long daily wound care, making us busy on the unit- this was never supported by management (providing adequate ancillary staff or even nursing staff). Otherwise very friendly staff nurses and aids who were always willing to help.
Cons
no breaks
Wonderful, Fun Leaning experience
Sterile Technician (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 11, 2019
For the past 5 plus years at Stony Brook Medicine was awesome got to make some new connections with a bunch of great people that treats you like family
learned a lot
associate (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 26, 2018
did what i was instructed to do,taught myself a lot,no support from managment in a bad situation,no such thing as loyalty or job security there,just corruption
Supportive of sick family members
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NY 11794December 21, 2018
Assessiing your patients----passing meds------checking dr's orders --discharging patients----I learned =time management and priortization as a new nurse. I really wasn't aware of management at hat time. Nurse managers seemed supportive. Hardest part of the job was learning about how to take care of tele patients do ivs and managing priorities. Most enjoyable part was the patients and their families.
Pros
Nurse patient ratio
Cons
Very fast paced
Been Here A Long Time
Nursing Station Clerk/Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 13, 2018
I have been with Stony Brook for 11 years now full time. I love working with my co-workers and the RN's. My boss is fabulous and I love my job. The benefits are excellent!
Fast paced work environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Commack, NYDecember 3, 2018
Typical day at work is checking in and checking out patients,scheduling appointments, always a task to do, which in my opinion made the day go by quick. I myself love fast paced work as well as multi-tasking. Management is understanding at times. hardest part of my job is completed task to quickly and having nothing to do.Most enjoyable part of work is helping patients
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
A good place to work
Instructional Support Assistant I (Former Employee) –  East Setauket, NYNovember 29, 2018
Good benefits, retirement system. I have learned a lot working in the medical field. Can be stressful at times but rewarding as well. Some management shouldn't be in those positions but for the most part I haven't had any major issues
Suffolk County "s Trauma Hospital , that is able to save your life !
Teaching and Research Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 26, 2018
My experience at SBUH was a one of very beneficial learning and training. Quality Care for all clients was of the utmost importance. Unfortunately , there was a downside of being there . Where I had seen negative employee treatment ,as well as have experienced . A Good Hospital , that have saved Many Lives !
Benefits
Cons
Treatment of Employees
Average academic hospital with potential to be great with strong leadership
Resident Physician (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 14, 2018
Average academic hospital with potential to be great with strong leadership. Residency training was good though - breadth of cases at various institution types.
Okay place to work
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 7, 2018
Insurance benefits were expensive for family coverage. Seasoned nurses aren't so nice to new grads. Lots of call time, making it feel like you never have a day off.
Cons
some of the staff is rude
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 1, 2018
I would recommend any student take a teaching assistant job to boost their resume and make some extra money while in school. No issues, easy to work for.
Good benefits but no incentive for advancement
Certified Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 31, 2018
I haved learned a lot about patience and balancing different personal behaviors for patients and staff throughout the years.Very good training programs to give quality care to patients and complete the mission.Best part of the job is seeing patients and staff smile and thank me for giving them excellent quality care.
nothing
New Patient Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 16, 2018
i really dont ahve anything to say regarding any prior jobs. good bad or indifference. i just wnat to get another job in my current career for experience
Relaxed workplace
Radiology Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 8, 2018
Very little work for volunteers, free to go where you wish, complete tasks at your own pace. Free meals at the cafeteria, Zero monitoring of completion of your responsibilities so you must keep track of them yourself.
Great Place
Intern and Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 23, 2018
I had a great time working with such wonderful people. They will teach you and push you to excel in whatever you endeavor. I really enjoyed the time I spent doing something so profound and rewarding. Great place!
Pros
Everything- great atmosphere- great work
Cons
nothing
Director of labor relations position
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  stony brook nySeptember 13, 2018
I am a former RN of Stony brook. I did not chose to leave my job. I was bullied and intimidated into leaving by labor relations. This is what they do to all RNs and other staff. When there is a problem with staff not doing their job - you report that to management. They do not want to hear about it nor do they offer any support. However, when something bad happens, the RNs are used as a scapegoat. Its labor relations who starts the bullying process until you either quit out of fear of losing your license or they will fire you if you do not quit. I do not recommend anyone working at Stony brook. You will regret it.
Pros
starbucks in the lobby
Cons
see above
Great place to volunteer
Senior Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 29, 2018
All working staff were friendly considering the circumstances they were under. Very enjoyable place and the hours were flexible. The most enjoyable part of the experience was engaging with the patients.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
N/a
Work life balance lacked
Resident (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYAugust 26, 2018
The hardest part of this job was the lack of work/life balance. The environment was not really conducive to collaborative work and there was little support for staff wellbeing. Though you technically had sick days, taking them, even if you needed them was frowned upon. "The hospital is the best place to be if you're sick."
Terrible Corporate Culture
Patient Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 21, 2018
You'll get good benefits and decent pay as long as you stick it out. But be prepared to put up with a lot of foolishness. A lot of people are just rude to each other and it seems like most people are unappreciative of the jobs they have. Expect to be mistreated and disrespected (especially if you're a person of color and/or a woman).
Watch out
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 18, 2018
You have to know somebody to get ahead and watch others get promoted that do not have the degrees you have. I worked for this company and advanced my education over the 20 plus years working at this institution to not get jobs I was qualified for.