Stony Brook Medicine
57Below average

Stony Brook Medicine Employee Reviews

United States239 reviews
Kitchen is not state job / contracts are due every five years / once you there for years mgt. goes after you for anything unless you know someone / a lot of mistakes on patients diets as well in tube feedings / I took care of my patients but nobody took care of meof
I felt great and like a part of a family when I first started, but I quickly learned that they don’t care about their employees or their patients. In central sterile they work you to death and want you to work faster even if it means some things don’t get cleaned properly. I never felt like I was respected for my work. It was a very thankless job.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
All units are not created equal. Many units have new nurses who lack initiative and pride in there field. Lowest paid hospital in the area. No crisis or pandemic pay. Instead a red covid warrior t-shirt. Not so good pension as tier 6 is undesirable. Stony Brook will continue to lose new nurses,will soon be left in a crisis as management and the state do not appreciate its nursing staff. When all the tier 4 nurses leave who will be left working at Stony Brook. They are already looking to cut costs and decrease salary for RNs due to the pandemic. The future is not looking so great. However it is still the only level ! trauma center. Not sure I would want to be treated here after working there. That speaks volumes.
If you are support staff, they do not treat you well and there is no significant raise each year. The progress evaluation reports are a joke. The only way to make decent money is to switch departments. Only perk is excellent medical benefits if you are state or research and lots of paid time off (thatyocatake too often)
You will learn many exciting things working for a teaching university. But you will also work hard everyday. Sometimes not enough time in a shift to complete work thoroughly. Good health benefits but hourly compensation sucks.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
WAS NOT EMPLOYED... I was an intern and my experience was amazing. I had the best supervisor who I will always be grateful for. I learned something new everyday; so glad that I chose this hospital as an internship.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Not enough employed social workers in hospital. Results in work overload.
The job has many benefits. State healthcare, pension, great pay, inclusion and much more. Some of the faults are raises are determined by the union and they are small at 2% a year locked in for 5 years.
A place where you and get a lot of experience & exposure to be able to develop and gain necessary work skills that can be used in a variety of places.
Stay away from Stony Brook Hospital at all cost!! All trades generalist/ specialist positions are dead end roads. Management lie. Supervisor only offer OT to their favorite pet. They claim OT is in a rotating basis, it is not. Moral is low. No transparency. No training. No communication with management. The benefits are no longer worth it. You've been warned
Busy work day, coworkers are OK to work with. Hard to move up, added responsibilities on top of regular duties often, no holidays (within my department and position). That having been said, Stony Brook is an excellent university where amazing things are happening, and depending on your position, it's certainly possible to be happy and fulfilled there.
Unfortunately employees have to wait for a Civil Service exam to be hired.
Poor salary consideration.

Glad I had a chance to work at Stony Brook University Hospital .
Pros
Local office . Easy commute.
Cons
Wish i could be hired without waiting to take a civil service exam.e
Working here is not a hard job, and the pay shows.The pension when you retire will be so far behind livable wage it's not worth the time it takes to retire.
There is supposed to be 90 day probation they prolonged it then fired me. I asked for the opportunity to finish my training. There is no learning curve.
Great hospital to start your nursing career, you can work in different departments. Nursing office staff is very nice to the employees which makes it easier to work extra hours if you need to.
I loved my time at Stony Brook Medicine! My supervisor was fantastic and the team I worked with were very supportive. The work felt meaningful and I was given the freedom to work creatively on tasks.
Worked as a nursing station clerk at Stony Brook Medicine for 22 years and I can say it was a great place to work with an awesome team of doctors, nurses & other staff members. The only reason I’m leaving is because I’m relocating to Ohio.
Coming from a community hospital background does not prepare you for the way an academic medical center is run.Very institutionalized ways of thinking and operating.
good job to progress your future and help build experience. The experience will massly benefit you and anywhere you go or work. best job I ever had so far
Doctors are great to work with. Staff are great. SBCM seems disorganized, poor communication. Programs are rolled out with little or no communication.
No comments I reserve the right not to post my review contains any thing about stony brook medicine the following types of content or violates my guidelines as an employee.
This place is a horrible place to work, not only is your license on the line, but the management is horrible from the directors all the way down. They are very racist and only want there people there. The union is not helpful at all, they do not get back to you when you have a situation going on. Every co worker who was there when I was there are not there, and have left.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stony Brook Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Stony Brook Medicine.