Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

Great school
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 28, 2018
Went to SBU for undergrad. High quality education for a low price. Great connections, great science school. Has a dental and medical school on campus.
A great place to work
Nursing staton clerk (Former Employee) –  Department of Radiation OncologySeptember 27, 2018
A typical day at work, the department at radiation oncology, were very busy and at times stressful. I learned time management at a very busy front reception desk, which required two receptionist, but due to low staffing had to at many times manage by myself. Although I was told by supervisors, managers and patients that I did it well I found that it to be the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of my job was to work with a great team whom all of us knew the importance of patient satisfactory. I loved my job and was so sorry to leave and would love to return.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Low staffing
Large University Hospital
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 19, 2018
My typical day at stony brook is coming in at 7:00 checking my e-mails drinking coffee or tea. Then starting the day by 8:00 if someone is out of the office in the reception area I would have to gather all of the faxes stamp and place in the appropriate bins, add paper to machines and start to answer incoming calls, due stat authorizations of people in doctors offices awaiting there records and assist people who walk into the office for records. If I am not at the reception area then at the back desk I due authorizations for attorneys and insurance companies to send into our vendor for processing also at 10:00 open in coming mail. Also I cover breaks and lunch breaks at reception area. I also handle the Cardiology cd's for patient's who want there cardiac images on cd sent to doctors. And other task assigned.
Pros
leave at 4:00
Cons
elevators
Good for students
Residential Computing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 12, 2018
Good for students who need extra money. Only for work study. Hours are nightly and managers are very lenient on what you need. Would recommend to any current student.
Good times and some difficult situations
Art Installer (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 7, 2018
It was a straightforward job and they paid well, but because the higher-ups didn't understand what it took to complete a project, I don't think they were thrilled when it took longer than expected. At times I felt that my boss didn't respect that I was in school full time and I already had a lot on my plate and I was only trying to do my best for her and for the space and keep my life together.
Pros
paid lunch time, paid per hour
Cons
lack of benefits
amazing
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 31, 2018
one of the best jobs around. i had the time of my life working with the school, I bonded very well with my staff as well as our bosses. It was fair all around, including salaries and everything else.
Awesome place to work as a student
PROCUREMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 31, 2018
I was a student at the school and decided to get a job between classes to help with some extra pocket money and experience. Everyone I worked with was awesome and I miss them a lot. Wish I would have been able to get a job with them after I had graduated but I was not able to. Definitely a great place to be if you're a student looking for a good job while you take classes.
Pros
Awesome People
Cons
New York politics prevented me from getting a permanent position
Good overall
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 28, 2018
Overall great experience. The facilities were nice. My mentor was very helpful and let me know of my responsibilities. The faculty was serious about their work.
Very agile work space
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 25, 2018
The research conducted at stony brook university is on the forefronts of the industries. The quality of the research work by the students speaks for its high standards.
Good place to achieve your degree
Doctoral Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 9, 2018
I love this place! I got my doctoral degree here. It is a good place to learn the professional knowledge and develop the skills needed for a independent scientist.
fun place to work
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 9, 2018
Great place to work. Beautiful campus, lots of activities going on all the time. Very rewarding working with students and helpin them on their journeys.
Excellent Benefits
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 7, 2018
The benefits at SUNY Stony Brook are excellent! HR very helpful in explaining everything! Beautiful campus attached to a Hospital which is also convenient.
It seems nice but ...
Parking Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 26, 2018
I had my ups and downs working for Stony Brook U. While it does have very good job security provided you do the job that is asked of you. However like all jobs there are some people within the University that seem to advance more by who they know rather than what they know. But that's just my opinion on the matter .
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
I wrote parking tickets so o dos have times where I had to deal with some angry people
Great if you don't mind bad management
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 22, 2018
The management leaves much to be desired. Many of the hire ups are rude, overbearing and just horrible. They don't care about their employees, are constantly understaffed and assigning jobs to other workers that are not part of their job description. The management constantly harasses about rules but then turns around and breaks them themselves. I've had a door shut in my face when running errands to another dinning hall; by a top manager no less, been harassed when picking up items from one dining hall for my own. Workers are yelled at in front of customers constantly and the entire atmosphere in the place is lacking.
Most interesting variety of work I have ever had
New York State Business Advisor-Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Research & Development ParkJuly 12, 2018
As Business Advisor, am a generalist in that we talk with all different types of companies and technologies. The whole focus is to assist start-up companies with Business Counseling, Access to Capital, Facilitating the connection of resources at the University, Industry, and Government to support their efforts
Pros
Excellent Entrepreneurial Focus, Great Benefits
Cons
State Pay Scales are lower than Industry
good place
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 11, 2018
I've worked here as a postdoctoral researcher in physics. The researchers here are given freedom to choose their own subject. There have been a lot of events for socializations. Coffee and cakes are served at Simons center every day.
They will cut you off as soon as you are up for permanent appointment
Manager, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 10, 2018
cut throat environment.

they fill politically connected candidates on high level positions with people who have no experience. While hiring new employees, they will terminate employees with stellar reviews and praise, just because you are up for perm appointment.

please do not work here. You will be disappointed and deflated.
Fun, fast paced, learning environment
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 28, 2018
Love interacting with the students. they look for life experience and skills and I'm happy to provide insight. The college trained me in distance teaching through Blackboard.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Few opputunities for distance teaching
Large campus with various professional development opportunities
RESIDENCE HALL DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 21, 2018
Working at SBU provided a multitude of opportunities for professional development and growth. Supervisors were invested in helping you succeed in professional interests and the campus community was inclusive and supportive to staff and students.
Amazing internship opportunity
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 13, 2018
The Network Engineering Department in Stony Brook was an amazing experience. Everyday I get to learn and perform several duties that are directly related to my field of study. The staff was amazing as well.