Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

good place and nice people
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  life science buildingJune 3, 2019
Running experiments every day, i learn a lot about life science research. My superivisor is being very helpful and provides me lots of oppounities. I love here.
Good Experience of TA
Chemistry Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 27, 2019
Implemented lessons independently after being trained and prepared.
Demonstrated some key points of experiment procedures personally.
Distributed experiment equipment and reagents.
Tutored students individually or in small groups to check data, correct mistakes and answer
questions.
Assessed student lab reports to check quality and completeness and assign grades.
Supported instructor with proctor.
Great Place to Adjunct
Adjunct Lecturer, graduate (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 8, 2019
Having worked as an adjunct in at least 8 schools, I can say Stony Brook is one of the best.Based on the way the school approaches its adjunct lecturers, I am sure the full-time staff is equally well treated.
Nice place to work
Fitness Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 4, 2019
Simple, happy, easy, jobs, typical, day, night, learn, time management, not hard, fairly easy, enjoyable, bosses were very easy to get along with and made the whole job fun.
Stony Brook University
Electrician General Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NY 11790March 28, 2019
Typical work day just like any other electrical position. I would receive my tickets and had a van to work from. I also had a cell phone where they would contact me if there was a major electrical issue.
Benefits
Nice place to be,
EVENT/FACILITIES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 15, 2019
It is an okay place to be for your first college job. It teaches time management and stuff. Glad I got to meet so many people. It is stressful and demanding
Would never work there again
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 10, 2019
Our director was not a clinician, nor was she a health care administrator. She had no appreciation of the time and effort put into the role. In addition, she displayed blatant favoritism for certain employees based on her inappropriate personal attachment to them.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Terrible place to work
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 4, 2019
Not a good place to work . The COM dept is hostile work environment. The AVP is a bully and threatening all the time . The COM needs a new leader . Allot of kick backs
Fun and comforting work environment
Stony Brook Student Media (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2019
A typical workday is usually calm. The world load I receive isn't difficult and can be achieved in the time frame it's expected of me. My co-workers are fun and cool when it comes to swapping roles as well.
Pros
We get benefits when it comes to like school concerts and free snacks
Cons
Events are usually late at night
Operator
Phone Operator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 21, 2019
easy job but a horrible environment. Stony Brook is my least favorite place to work. i would never go back and never recommend a friend to work there .
what i have learned about stony brook
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYFebruary 13, 2019
I was a temporary for Stony Brook twice for a total of 6 years and was told how great they treat their employees until I worked for the company and saw how poor the management was and how there was favoritism and drama that wasn't handled by the management.
I was forced to leave due to I wasn't part of the drama and came and went when my work was done. I was offended by the lack of judgement and how things were over looked depending on the person. There was foul play and patients had to pay the price when it came to their health. I had to leave because i couldn't stand to see healthcare be thrown out the door over money. I enjoy helping people not hurting people with words and forcing them to make decisions they were not ready for and also to not hurt their feelings.
Pros
hours, lots of job positions available, discounts on cell service
Cons
healthcare, limited raises, drama, lengthy time to get hired, more work less pay, too many passwords to remember
Lists of bad things too long
Specimen Processing Lab Aide (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 27, 2019
I work in the department of Specimen Recieving. Work is pretty technical, requires some knowledge of medical terminology and computer knowledge. The pay is very low relative to the sometimes challenging technical work involved.
List of things I had to deal with:
- when it rains hard outside, the main drain pipes in the hospital breaks and we get flooded. Boss threatened to fire us if anyone post video of waterfall gushing through the ceiling on social media.
- there are no official contract. when I was hired as nightshift, changing to dayshift was extremely difficult, I was given an offer for dayshift without any contract or paperwork. HR doesn’t make such forms. So supervisor took advantage of this and forced me and others to continue to work nightshift (even with dayshift offer) for many months.
- environment is cut throat. Everyone is out to protect themselves and to go home without being written up (as they call it getting a psn). Hardly ever do they help each other out and try to understand the fault of the system and not the staff.
Pros
Benefits, health, dental, discount, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Everything! Wage, hours, parking, promotions, advancement, structure, management
Great Place
Worker (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 6, 2019
I cannot speak more highly of this hospital. It is a great place to not only work, but also to learn. I hope anyone considering working here comes aboard.
good place to gives lifelong security
Nursing Station Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 19, 2018
I should've followed my mind and work in NICU. I had a choice I made the wrong decision. Thats all have I made a mistake the second time around.
Oncology the Nurses were encouraging and shared their experiences on how and why they became nurses
perfect
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 19, 2018
I got my master degree from stonybrook university. I learned a lot from there. I done research with professor. I learned a lot. I love there. best memory ever
Stressfull enviornment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 4, 2018
Management is not helpful, people who work there from years not give you room. The workload is too much and you are in stress all the time. Too much politics every office.
Cons
Health care, benfits, salary
supportive, productive environment
Assistant Clinical Professor, Occupational Therapy (Current Employee) –  Southampton, NYDecember 2, 2018
*typical student/ teaching responsibilities
*University offers continuing education and workshops on diverse topics
*Supportive management
*Supportive colleagues
*negotiating the topical environment is challenging for parking and finding classrooms
*Student interaction is the most enjoyable part of the job
Calculations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 29, 2018
Stony Brook is a good place to work because it has room for advancement, great benefits, unions, paid holidays. They even have employee assistance for college credit. The hardest part of the job is that it is a hospital. You work all shifts & holidays.
I enjoyed working at stony brook and i got along with my coworkers and my supervisor
Central sterile technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 18, 2018
Stony Brook hospital is an good place to work. The supervisor I worked with was a very knowledgeable person and was willing to help you in anyway she could
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short breaks and no break roo.
It was a great place to work, learn, and take advantage of cultural, academic and athletic offerings
Associate Vice President and Dean (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 5, 2018
Over the years, the organization culture shifted to the positive. Relations between and among faculty, staff and students improved and there was a true sense of community and a common sense of purpose.
Pros
Sense of teamwork driven by a mission
Cons
State funding diminished making it more challenging to achieve our goals and keep morale high