Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

Department Management
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 18, 2018
Certain management personnel are unapproachable and certain supervisors do not advocate for employees. Favoritism is obvious.

However, there are other departments that advocate for employees and offer training. They are available to assist with questions and support.
Pros
Health insurance, vacation and holiday time accrual
Cons
Certain departments lack employee support
Stony Brook University RF
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 15, 2018
Educational. Learn while you work.The Research Foundation for The State University of New York (RF) is the largest comprehensive university-connected research foundation in the country. It exists to serve the State University of New York (SUNY) by providing essential administrative services that enable SUNY faculty to focus their efforts on the education of students and the performance of life-changing research across a wide range of disciplines including medicine, engineering, physical sciences, energy, computer science, and social sciences.
Pros
educational
Cons
low pay
Student Assistant - Positive Student View
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 14, 2018
As a student assistant, we get to select which hours we work through the entire week. Each day at the job, we look out for other students, prepare for events (ranging from small clubs of 10 members to school size events filling up an entire auditorium), and working with others to prepare for such events.

I learned the value of commitment, as many of these events could not occur without our help. Additionally, we learned to work with each other to help the job done and fast.

Management was really friendly. They gave us training on the first day and afterwards, prepared us for more specific training for our centers. If there was anything we needed, we could give them a call to clarify our issues.

The workplace culture was really relaxing. When we were not prepping for events, we were allowed to do homework, so that is a major plus.

I found the hardest part of the job was last minute changes by club coordinators. If they email us a change a couple of hours before the event, we may not see it in time and have already prepared the previously agreed upon setup. Other times, the club coordinators do not respond at all, so it is hard to communicate.

On the other hand, the most enjoyable part of the job was after setting up for the events, we get to see and occasionally partake in huge events that we set up for.
hostile work environment
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJanuary 11, 2018
I do not recommend anyone to work in the psychiatry department. Very unorganized, poor management, who do not want to hear no concerns from the staff. Than when something happens, they use their nurses as scapegoats. They recently cleaned house that is the reason you will see so many open positions. Very cut throat facility. Save your license and go to another hospital.
Pros
starbucks in the lobby
Cons
they will ruin your life
Research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 4, 2018
I was a research assistant to one of my professors when I was a student there. It was very interesting and a good opportunity to learn about the field.
A collaborative academic institute
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 28, 2017
People are very supportive and this is a good environment for graduate students. A lot of collaborations between SBU and BNL. The professors are very motivated researchers.
Very unprofessional work setting.
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 26, 2017
I would not recommend working at Stony Brook. I found it to be a very unprofessional working environment. If you are tenured faculty, you might find the support you need in some areas. Employment is unstable, especially administration.
Pros
Well paid.
Cons
Insecure unprofessional environment
Good place to settle down
Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 13, 2017
Stony Brook University is a good place for a stable job and work/life balance if you intend to settle down in this town. I completed my Ph.D. in a scientific field here, and beyond post-doctoral positions (which I am not seeking), the options in and around this area are scarce and you will need to relocate for further job opportunities.
Research Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2017
Interesting project.
I worked with a professor on a Accessibility project.
It was for a short period. I worked in the summer in the University.
It was a good experience overall.
A mediocre experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 13, 2017
Stony Brook University has a very strict and competitive academic environment, which results in long working hours, working on weekends etc. The learning curve is steep but it will result in acquired skills. However, the compensation is not analogous to the cost of living in the surrounding area and networking opportunities are limited despite the proximity to NYC.
ok
Assisting in treasurer office (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYNovember 6, 2017
I am a student in Stony Brook University and was working in University Student Government for a year. The working environment was chill and relax since I am not the full time employee.
Graduated
Grading Assistant for MEC (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 29, 2017
The school only provides current students for part time or full time. Once you graduated, you will no longer get the jobs. Therefore, I am looking for a new one.
Excellent work place with excellent experience
Vice President of E-board Member (Former Employee) –  100 Nicolls Rd, Stony Brook, NY 11794October 28, 2017
I did this work typically three times a week in regard to my class schedule. I learned how E-board managed the room selection for clubs. They sent me E-mail to ask when I am available. Workplace culture is very strict. I didn't have the hardest part of the job but I had only most enjoyable part of the job. So, most enjoyable part of the job is managing clubs selection.
Good
Research Scientist GA (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 27, 2017
I have a wonderful group of people I work with. The atmosphere and chemistry in lab is great. It is a rather stressful environment and it is difficult (for me personally) to balance classes and lab work at times.
Easy Job to do while studying
Innovation Lab Staff (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 16, 2017
This job was taken while i was a student and i don't have many complaints. It allowed me to study for classes during off times and meet many people with interesting projects and goals. I definitely recommend to anyone looking to network during their time at Stony.
Excellent place to work
Assistant Vice Provost (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 13, 2017
Working at Stony Brook was very rewarding. Opportunity to be creative. Opportunity to help students and faculty. Able to audit courses. The campus is an intellectually stimulating environment
Pros
Great place to work in every regard
Cons
pay was at bottom of reasonable range
phd is hard in sbu
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 11, 2017
phd life is hard in sbu. the rent increases every year but the stipend never increases. But it really depends on your PI. most of the PIs are not really funded, it is a hard time for professors.
A typical work day
Registered Nurse, Telemetry/Med-Surg (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2017
receiving report on about 4-6 patients. Introducing my self to the patients and letting them no my name and title and that I will be there nurse for the night. Assessing all patients before administering medication. Reviewing patients electronic charting to see V/S, lab results are WNL, test results, reviewing what medication the patient will receive at 2200, going in the Pixis and getting the patient medications out. making sure patient has all medication need for 2200 and if not ordering it from pharmacy. when giving medication always check doctors orders identified the patient; name, date of birth. scan wrist band as well as medication any red flags that come up, acknowledge and respond to it. delegated to a nurse aide if patient needs glucose test, turn and position, etc. Any change in patient calling the MD. If patient is requesting a medication also calling the MD or text paging. Drawing labs on patients from a port/Flush, inserting IV/Foley cath. Learning how to navigate the electronic patient charting, Monitoring patient on telemetry etc.
Pros
Great people
fun place to work
Human Resources/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NY 11794September 19, 2017
Working at Stony Brook was a great experience. we leaned how to do the payroll, the hardest part was the checks, the most rewarding was helping others
Pros
free lunch
Cons
breaks
Great Students, Great AD, Bad Lower Management
Head Academic Advisory for Football (Former Employee) –  AthleticsSeptember 7, 2017
Stony Brook University is a great place to work and the AD has an incredible vision, unfortunately, some management directly below him has no ability to lead or manage. I was burnt out in less than 3 years because of the lack of support and endless work hours.
Pros
Ad, students
Cons
Lower Level Management, hours