Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

good place
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 11, 2018
I've worked here as a postdoctoral researcher in physics. The researchers here are given freedom to choose their own subject. There have been a lot of events for socializations. Coffee and cakes are served at Simons center every day.
They will cut you off as soon as you are up for permanent appointment
Manager, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 10, 2018
cut throat environment.

they fill politically connected candidates on high level positions with people who have no experience. While hiring new employees, they will terminate employees with stellar reviews and praise, just because you are up for perm appointment.

please do not work here. You will be disappointed and deflated.
Fun, fast paced, learning environment
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 28, 2018
Love interacting with the students. they look for life experience and skills and I'm happy to provide insight. The college trained me in distance teaching through Blackboard.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Few opputunities for distance teaching
Large campus with various professional development opportunities
RESIDENCE HALL DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 21, 2018
Working at SBU provided a multitude of opportunities for professional development and growth. Supervisors were invested in helping you succeed in professional interests and the campus community was inclusive and supportive to staff and students.
Amazing internship opportunity
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 13, 2018
The Network Engineering Department in Stony Brook was an amazing experience. Everyday I get to learn and perform several duties that are directly related to my field of study. The staff was amazing as well.
A Great Place
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 5, 2018
I absolutely loved working here. For me, it was a work study and everyone around is understanding of school commitments. I was able to learn more telephone etiquette and organizational skills.
Pros
free food
Don't know what to say here.
Associate Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 28, 2018
The students at Stony Brook are tremendous. Very fun to work with and learn from. I worked in the Writing Program and found all the co-workers and support staff incredibly supporting and collaborative. The higher-ups and faceless suits at the college are utterly untrustworthy, but that's pro'ly true in a lot of places.
Pros
The students. The teachers. The support staff.
Cons
Everybody else.
Professional research environment
Research Assistant, Laughlin Lab (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 27, 2018
Worked in collaboration with peers on the organic synthesis of fluorescent compounds for use in biological testing on neurons and astrocytes. Challenging research environment.
I work as a desk monitor so my job is easy
Desk Monitor (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 22, 2018
There are a few jobs on campus that are total steals and desk monitor for the fitness centers is one of them. All you have to do is check people into the gym and make sure the gym is clean and whatnot.
SBU is a great place to work. The people and general environment are super special. It is a joy to come to work.
Office Assistant, Communications Department (Current Employee) –  Administration Building, Suite 144May 18, 2018
A typical day at work varies from moment to moment. It's fast paced and there is a lot to learn computer-wise. Today is graduation day for many students and everywhere there is something exciting going on. Patience is the keyword for every day. Management is open and available to all. The hardest part of the job is when there is a periodic slowing of projects as the next assignment comes along. And, as I've said, the people and environment are definitely the most enjoyable part of the job as well as the excitement of business while trying to work for the State.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
no decent cafeteria
Great place, low pay for PhD students
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 14, 2018
PhD students receive a very low stipend that does not support the cost of living on Long Island. The stipend is supported through TA lines and the amount of work that has to go into the TA responsibilities and the pay is not an equal trade-off.
Fun workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2018
Wonderful environment to work in and be a part of. The campus is beautiful, the faculty are very welcoming and willing to teach and help. Overall a lovely experience.
Not bad
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 12, 2018
Not the best but not the worst. no complaints really. I was just an RA, so I wasn't full time, so I don't think I got the full experience of what it's like to work there.
Excellent , Productive Workplace Environment
Adjunct Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Main campus at Stony Brook New York and at my homeMay 8, 2018
A typical day for me would include a four hour class face to face or a visit to my graduate students for consultation. I learned the procedures for advising students as they moved through course work and how to guide them through their seminars. The hardest part of the job was managing the online course work; the workplace culture is excellent; the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students accomplish the attainment of their administrative certification.
Pros
collaborative work environment
Cons
none to speak of
Teaching and research position while earning a doctorate in mathematics
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 3, 2018
Excellent collaborative research experiences. Teaching load was standard among doctoral programs. Faculty were always very open to share advice and experiences.
Pros
Excellent faculty, Access to excellent talks/workshops on cutting edge mathematics in a variety of topics
Cons
Graduate program compensation rarely provides for a comfortable lifestyle
No Coordination
Neuroscience Research Student (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 3, 2018
You're mostly on your own to figure out what is supposed to be done. Professors overpack their schedules so they aren't able to really attend to students working in their labs.
Enjoyable academic experience.
Adjunct Professor Stony Brook University (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 30, 2018
Much depends on the individual department. I was lucky to be in the Center for News Literacy, the Honors College and University Undergraduate Colleges where I was treated very well and felt to be part of an academic community.
Miscommunication
Research Employee (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 24, 2018
Typical work week example, management tells us on Monday that they wanted a project done one way, lays out details as to what they expect to find and want. Comes back Tuesday to tell us that we've done it wrong, and asks group why we took the steps we were told to do. Wednesday group is given new set of parameters. Thursday group is told why we did it wrong again and hands us same instructions as provided on Monday. Friday group is praised for work and efficiency in finishing project in short span of over time.
Great University, I don't like the location
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 23, 2018
Stony Brook is great. Some people think Long Island is great--I am just not one of those people.

The benefits are good, university atmosphere is nice, just don't expect to live near the university if you are an early-mid career professional. The cost of living is prohibitive of enjoying your free time, as nearly all your funds are eaten up in rent, utilities, insurance, and transportation costs.
Patient Access (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYApril 16, 2018
Poor career track. Very hard to move around even with union backing. Very political work environment. A lot of unnecessary stress and micromanagement.