Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University Employee Reviews

United States344 reviews
In my two years of working as a student employee at Stony Brook university as a Media Systems Engineering student I had a lot of learning opportunities in and outside of work. Because we were students they gave us plenty of breaks between making our schedule and taking time off to pursue academics. Regardless of this balancing the minimum 15 hours with school work still added some challenge in my life but definitely earned me skills from the job and skills of balancing aspects of my life that will last indefinitely.
Pros
Go out to eat lunch, flexible work hours, good pay, able to take off with advance notice.
Worked as a fellow. Informative and helpful role in becoming a student leader on campus. Given the role of teaching a 101 class full of first year students.
Work out of job title and not recognized for it every day is something new it can get a little dull. At the drop of a hat chaos can breakout then you see the teamwork
Pros
It’s full time
Cons
It’s a state job
I love research. This has given me the ability to exercise my knowledge in the field to contribute to novel ideas. Given this opportunity, I was able to adequately and consistently perform in other lab settings.
It is a lively exciting job being at an university adds to the culture management Is great coworkers are very good It is very busy and you need to be able to multitask overall I love my job
It is safe to say, stony Brook university is among the best institutions in the United States. Personals are warm-welcoming, the administration is well structured.
Definitely is a environment that gives you opportunity to grow relationships with clients. If the opportunity would allow a chance to grow with the company it would make a great stepping stone for your career and resume.
I was a undergraduate TA for classes in the SOMAS dept. This dept is a great one with tight knit community feels and just a great place to make professional connections
Working here has been a positive and enlightening experience. For the most part is was a work friendly environment however, not much diversity in the company.
Work/life balance not appreciated. Very low compensation compared to other health systems, but good benefits. Major bureaucracy issues, not responsive to employee feedback.
Stony Brook Univerisity is very diverse. The tuition there is relatively low as compare to other same level universities. Computer science, physics, and math there are very compatible.
Each and every professor that you can work with is different and that makes rating Stony Brook as a company completely impossible. There are a lot of really helpful professors to do research with and others that are not.
Stony Brook University has rigorous coursework that challenges the average student. Their School of Journalism is especially helpful for students looking to get careers in media.
I really like working closed to the faculty and learned how to use my knowledge and help out the students. This gave me a chance to connect more with the school and learn in depth.
The department that I worked in was like a family. I loved working there and I enjoyed helping the radiation oncology patient and giving them a smile everyday. It was a joy to work there but unfortunately I had to move where I could afford to live. If rent was cheaper I would still be there and I would retire from there.
people get promoted with out the best experience, hard to move up the ladder, added responsibilities on top of regular duties often, rarely closes, ...
I worked in Advancement, and it was one of the best experiences I've had. The team leaders were wonderful, and it taught me how a department or organization should operate and the importance of creative leadership.
The job mostly entailed paperwork, filing and making calls. You can expect a laid back but boring environment filled with day to day gossip. Pay is decent.
The student assistant job was not glamorous, but I enjoyed the work I did. I experienced a lot of things I otherwise would not have. It was very convenient to have an on-campus job. The hours were very flexible which was great for my student lifestyle. The pay was not generous but it paid for takeout and used books.
Experience depends on the type of job at the university. Some jobs are enjoyable and others are mundane. Other than the basic office hours duties can change depending on the need of the work.
Good place for experience and benefits. Needs better management. good place to learn and get educated but not much room as far as trying to advance you're career.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stony Brook University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
2.9
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight