Stop and Shop Supermarket Employee Reviews

Found 3,995 reviews matching the search See all 4,012 reviews
Nicest people, but the worst management possible.
Cashier/Bagger (Former Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYJune 13, 2019
Managers/Supervisors are never anywhere to be found. If you can avoid working here, i suggest it. The only saving grace is that the people who work there are really nice. Please understand, NOBODY likes the manager.
awesome place
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, NJJune 12, 2019
immense work everyday
learned about different classes of drugs
management was very understanding
most enjoyably part of the job was to help the patients
Its a union job.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJune 12, 2019
In my department I did majority of the work while the others were not held accountable for their share of the work load. A lot of staff that had been there for years were allowed to get away with minimal work.
fast paced friendly environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dumont, NJJune 12, 2019
I worked at this facility throughout my high school years! Many of my fellow classmates were also my coworkers.. this job taught me how to deliver customer service with a level of speed and efficiency.
Too much stress for the benefits
Full-Time Deli Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIJune 11, 2019
As an assistant manager in the deli the amount of work hours granted in the dept do not cover the amount of work required to have succesful department. Be prepared for:

Consistent asking to stay later/come in early

Low pay

Not Enough Staffing

Sent to work at other locations

High employee turnover

The only benefits for working for this company is it is a union workforce and benefits are great.
Honest and reliable job
Night Crew Clerk (Current Employee) –  Narragansett, RIJune 11, 2019
As a full time employee, backed by the union, it is a very steady paycheck. Clean and comfortable work environment. Regular pay increases and paid time off. Good benefits. Would recommend to anyone looking for a full time job who may be unsure of a specific career path or college.
It was okay
Self-Scan/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTJune 10, 2019
Wasn't the right fit for me. Great group of employees but didn't meet my expectations. Left after realizing it wasn't meant to be. Loved customer interaction but not my cup of tea.
Pros
Food discounts + benefits
Cons
Management was unorganized
Much improvement needed
Porter/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJJune 10, 2019
I don't recommend working here at all. No appreciation to any of your hard work done, going up and beyond etc.! Way too much automatically believeing customer/customer complaints over employees, when it comes to lack/no evidence behind complaint. In general I am starting to see it's just not that good company impression I got when I researched it! With that said I additionally don't recommend doing business here neither. It's nothing that can't be overturned. Leadership just needs to step up & make sure they Infact have the best management possible. Something they don't today! I actually am looking into a way of contacting a member of leadership to discuss something at hand but easier said then done.
Pros
Very few if any
Cons
Too many to list
It was stressful at times
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIJune 10, 2019
I was in charge of a lot of things being a supervisor, but I did enjoy my job.The pay was not good to live off of with a child. I miss working mother's hours, it gave me more time with my daughter.
Pros
breaks
Cons
management
Enjoyable workplace that provided me with great experience.
Customer Service/ Front End Management/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Franklin Square, NYJune 10, 2019
Stop and Shop allowed me to gain experience with customers every day. I was able to learn how to work in a fast-paced environment while staying organized and efficient. In addition to this, I have become well-spoken and more patient. The management is a pleasure to work with and the workplace is something I look forward to going to everyday. The hardest part of the job was the initial training, but soon came natural. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers everyday and meeting new people.
Pros
Discounts and customer practice
Okay job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 10, 2019
Made a lot of money but required a lot of effort. You get paid weekly which is good but it requires a lot of work and standing for the whole shift. I used to work 8 hours and they would give a 15/30 min break and sometimes would call me last minute for schedule changes. Schedule changes every week as well.
Great starter up if your looking for your first job
Front End Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orleans, MAJune 9, 2019
Great starter up for anyone's first job. Take advantage of the benefits and money while your in school or just here visiting for a season. Tons of opportunities and learn the departments.
Pros
union protected
Cons
Wages
WORST environment, management, food EVERYTHING
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Mt. Ivy, NYJune 9, 2019
This location is despicable. The current customer service manager is HEINOUS. He is an unpleasant person to work with and makes working here miserable
Pros
nothing
Cons
breaks, management, hours
Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTJune 9, 2019
It was busy a majority of the time I worked there. If it's really busy, then you might not get a break. Some nights were extremely slow and boring. Most co-workers, mangers, supervisors and customers are nice. Everyone there was really helpful which was my favorite part of the job.
Pros
You get breaks, they have a bathroom, everyone is nice
Cons
You can only be a cashier if you are a minor
Toxic to mental health
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYJune 9, 2019
I wouldn't wish my worst enemies to work here. Although the outward appearance of the store makes it seem inviting and attractive to customers, the working experience here is agonizingly unfair and extremely stressful. It makes you think to yourself, "what have I done to deserve such a fate to work here?"

The most egregious problem in the Stop and Shop here is the management. Not only is there no communication between any of the managers, but they seem to dispense vitriolic and unwarranted criticism if you make the slightest mistake (which is unfair, because I never received formal training or even tips for my current position). Furthermore they tend to gossip about the employees that they personally hate, which only goes to show how much faith they have in the people who slave away over 40 hours a week just so they can pay their bills. As a result, you get this irrational fear that they are looking to lay you off because they dislike you on a personal level, not because you're a lackadaisical worker.

To add insult to injury, the schedules they create are randomized every week. This in itself isn't a problem, as many retail chains do this. However, they can erroneously schedule you to work on days you specifically requested to be off, even if you notified them in advance. This results in you getting into a quagmire with managers who seem to have a hard time understanding that you have obligations outside of your job. Or they may just screw up and actually tell you that they knew you'd requested time off and someone covered you, but nobody tells you that.

They also,
  more... as far as I am concerned, do not teach you the basic assets of working there. For example, when I was hired, nobody gave me a badge to electronically punch in (I had to use an old-fashioned punch card) until payday, so when it was time to receive my first paycheck, management informed me that I wouldn't be getting it until next week. My assumption is that the other two managers assumed that one of them gave me a badge to use, however this wasn't the case.

The only benefit that I can argue is in this job is that you actually get paid for the work you perform. Other than that I would strongly recommend not working here, due to the stress and extreme amounts of frustration you experience while working and/or dealing with management.
Pros
Getting paid
Cons
Unprofessional/petty/condescending/useless management, short breaks, no communication between managers whatsoever, have to learn everything on your own (often at the last minute and at your expense)
Extremely unorganized,childish and annoying
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  East Hartford, CTJune 9, 2019
Working at stop and shop can be stressful for the amount of pay that is coming your way . Not many benefits to working there .Many people don’t last more than six months .Extremely unorganized .
Pros
Flexibility with time
Cons
Unorganized, stressful
A place for truly hard working indivuals
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAJune 8, 2019
There were many things to do as I recall it was always busy and activity was not hard to come by. You will always have to deal with customers and coworkers while juggling workplace duties.
Pros
Workplace discounts
Cons
Short breaks
productive.
Bakeshop Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dayville, CTJune 8, 2019
Management was always changing for the worse. Department managers (full time) never did their rightful work and handed it off to the part timers. Because of this, in my opinion, the paychecks were not worth the amount of work I did for their company.
Pros
5% discount
Cons
short breaks (or no breaks), healthcare
Stop & Shop is a great place to work for that in between, a side or a first time job.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  East Hampton, CTJune 7, 2019
Stop & Shop encourage growth by prompting within. Also, Stop & Shop provided incentives for their employees to succeed in their job. Overall, Stop & Shop demonstrates their dedication to the local communities through fundraising and promoting local events.
No hours
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wyckoff, NJJune 7, 2019
Worked 3 months never made one months rent Had to leave because of no hours when asked anymore hours was denied there excuse was we have too many employees