Storage Technology Corporation Employee Reviews

STK role
PS Consultant-Proj Mgr/Storage Architect Consult (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 18, 2018
Tasked with working with Account teams to provide pre-sales support to accurately size, scope, and price Data Migration engagements. Manager provided the ability be own boss.
Enjoyed working for a major IT manufacturer
Strategic Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2018
Enjoyed working for a major IT manufacturer of high-end data storage products. Unfortunately our NYC office was closed due to 9/11 as it was next to ground zero.
allot of great outdoor team activity
Staff Engineer, Mechl PKG Reliability Engineering (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COJanuary 6, 2018
Multifunctional team collaboration, first job out of school first level management is great, higher level managements not visible or accessible. Close team with allot of after work activities.
Pros
close teams
Cons
Low pay
High Tech Company
Sr. Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2018
Typically I went to work and continued a production run on recertifying disk drives or putting together orders for refurbished equipment. Gave assignments to workers in my shop and made sure orders were on time.
Pros
Allowed to think for myself
Cons
no career advancement
Not a good place.
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COOctober 30, 2017
They hired and fired at wills. One time, I came to work and saw a security guard sitting in a office of a co-worker who was about to get laid off. The company does not exist any more. It was bought out by Sun and then later by Oracle long after I left.
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COSeptember 23, 2017
When it existed it was a really good place to work. The pay was good as well as the benefits. Unfortunately, the company is no longer in existence, was bought out by Sun Microsystems years ago.
Greatest company
FA Engineer, Master Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COSeptember 6, 2017
StorageTek was indeed one of best places in Colorado to work. Best company picnics and event for all the families. Recreation center with swimming pool, gymnasium and onsite Heath Unit and athletic fields kept employees fit and happy.
it was an exciting place to work.
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COAugust 19, 2017
I was responsible for trying to 'break' ans Eagle Storage Unit. I would load 256 initiators on the device and load the storage unit with jobs attempting to overload the unit. If I could not break this unit then it was a safe bet that the company that bought this device would not 'break' it either.
Pros
Attempting to 'break' the Eagle Storage Unit.
Cons
Had deadlines so worked long hours.
Productive, a place to challenge yourself to do better.
Assembler III (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COAugust 9, 2017
Raises were based on merit so it always challenged me to be the best at whatever position I asked to perform. It was a job, that at the time, I thought that I would retire from, and probably would have, had most of the production not been sent overseas.
Pros
It was a fair and compenstating company
Cons
Did reorganization or downsizing about every 5 years
Dynamic leader in the data storage industry
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 7, 2017
Storagetek was my first company that hired me as a Field service technician. I enjoyed my carreer with StorageTek, it was a competitive company in the data storage industry and the employees were treated very well
Great company that took car of it's employees.
Field Engineer through Software Engineering (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COJuly 31, 2017
Great company to work for that provided excellent working environment with room for advancement.

Good small company attitude of work hard and play hard. Hard work and accomplishments were recognized and rewarded.
Pros
Work from home 1 day a week and during inclement weather.
Cons
Work day hours were sometimes excessive.
Worked on great products with a great group of people.
ADVISORY SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COJuly 11, 2017
Worked on great products with a great group of people. Management was supportive as well as the other groups I interacted with. I enjoyed working there.
Solid technology and confident management
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COApril 24, 2017
Storage Tech was built on a solid and reliable technology that was industry leading during the 80's and 90's. Management remained confident in the value of the basic technology, which may have contributed to slow development of new product development.
Pretty Good Since Coming Out of Chapter 11
Consulting Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COFebruary 2, 2017
StorageTek was a good company to work for, IF you survived all the layoffs (12 layoffs in 14 years), plus going Chapter 11 in 1984. In the good years, there were decent raises, good bonuses, and the occasional awarding of stock options. In the bad years, it was tough just to survive all the layoffs.
Pros
Good compensation, bonuses, & stock options
Cons
Worked way too many hours
company no longer exists
Senior Product Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COJanuary 23, 2017
The company was purchased by Sun Microsystems about 15 years ago - what else can you say? When it was there, I really enjoyed my work.
Technology was a learning experience
Collection Accountant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 19, 2016
Working with main frame storage computers was a great learning experience. The staff was able to educate me throughout.

The companies wellness center was great.
Pros
Wellness
Cons
Not enough staff
Great ocmpany
Systems Development - Special Products (Former Employee) –  Louisville, CODecember 23, 2015
I worked for StorageTek for over 25 years in various positions. I enjoyed every bit of it.

I was a Mainframe Assembler Software Developer for the STK large tape libraries. I was also a Project Lead for over 7 years and never missed a scheduled date.
Storagetechnology was a great place to work.
Assembler IV (Former Employee) –  Louisville, Colo.June 27, 2015
Each day was a continuation of the previous day. Everybody worked as a team. It was enjoyable to know we were building computers that were being used all over the world. Management was always encouraging and kept us updated to company status. There were never any discomforting days.
Pros
All employees were fun to work with.
Cons
N/a