Strack and Van Til Employee Reviews

High Customer Activity
Warehouse/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INApril 16, 2018
Customer always comes first
Always rotate merchandise.
Remove outdated or spoiled product
Keep the area clean
Helping customers find the product that they are looking for
Pros
Celebrate your birthday
Cons
Part-time
The store is run with no common sense . No rules except for what you wear.
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INApril 3, 2018
Job wasn't bad but they always got my check short and never fixed it and the union did help . They expect you to do the job of 3 people for low pay and very unappreciated. Stacks took away our employee discount and Christmas bonus . They don't order the thinks we need like gloves or products on sale so you are the one the customer gets mad at when we don't have it They also expect you to work over but that is were you better watch your pay. Glad I quit just wasn't worth it be smart to to Jewel
Pros
No pros
Great job
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Valpo, INMarch 18, 2018
Loved it but I had to move back to Michigan city was a great job love it loved the ppl I workd it was a great job enjoyed it very much would love to get another job there
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
exellent store with great products
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Saint John, INMarch 13, 2018
nice clean store with friendly management. and good training. good team atmosphere I really felt like I wasn't alone when I fell behind the manage was always there to help.
It's ok
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cedar Lake, INFebruary 23, 2018
It's an ok job. I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone else. Management is a little iffy. The customers and other employees are great. There is lots of favoritism and gossip that goes on.
Pros
Paid breaks, great coworkers and customers
Cons
Management isn't great
Not a bad place to work.
Deli Clerk/ cashier (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 20, 2018
I actually enjoyed working with my team members at stracks. The job was simple and fast paced. I was able to learn new ways to do certain jobs. We also followed the rules at this job.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short breaks in an 8 hr shift
Low pay hard work
Diary manager (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INFebruary 5, 2018
Not worth it this company is going down from being sold to losing vendors, plus the pay is bad
Been with the company almost 5 years now and I started at $8 only at $11 now with management title
constantly busy
Utility Worker/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whiting, INFebruary 3, 2018
there is a peacefulness being bale to talk to the upper management because they are just as stressed as you are, but they dont appear to be. Everyone is like a family there always trying to help one another.

It is a good and a bad thing there is never not something that needs to be done, if everything is packaged and ready to go there is cleaning that has to be done, filling the floor, filling packages, preparing for the next day etc.. The good part is that you are never just standing around waiting for something to happen, the bad part is when you are overwhelmed it becomes too much to handle when you run out of time to get everything done, you have to try to delegate the importance of things.
Pros
like a family there
Cons
could use better organization and better communication with emplyees.
Fast Paced and good management
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INJanuary 30, 2018
stocking and ordering merchandise. I've learned how to put orders in what shrink was doing inventory rotation cashiering what gross meant. management team was great we all got along and help out with everyone's departments. Culture was fantastic since it was the first big grocery store in town. Hardest part of working was doing my documents. My favorite time going in were to see my employees they were like my brothers.
not a good place to work
NCmanager frontend manager (Former Employee) –  merriville indJanuary 12, 2018
terrible company to work for. worked there for 25 years then they let myself and 400 other people go when they sold out. pay was below industry average .
Pros
learned how to deal with empolyees and customers
Cons
low pay long hours

Want to know more about Strack and Van Til?

Ask a question
Strack and Van Tils
Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whiting, IN 46394January 10, 2018
Fast paced job helping customers with carry-out and put in their vehicles. Stock shelves and or clean work area during slow time. Gather empty carts in the parking lot bring them inside the store.
Pros
working environment
Cons
not sure if store is closing
Co-workers are the best part of the job
Casher (Former Employee) –  Cedar Lake, INJanuary 5, 2018
Management was horrible, pay rate and hours given were very minimal and they expect a lot out of employees. Holidays are required but employees don't get time and a half until they are out of probationary period, which means for the first 60-90 days NEW employees will always be working the holidays.
Pros
Met wonderful people, co-workers and customers
Cons
Short breaks, lack of respect, talked down to by management
Fun,challenging and excitement
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Highland, INDecember 25, 2017
I like working here especially the people I work with. I'm very sociable person and easy to get along with. I'm a team player an go above an beyond what's expected of me. I never leave until the job is completed and done correctly.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee
Cons
The pay
Nice customers and coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chesterton, INDecember 24, 2017
I have friendly coworkers and some regulars that are very nice. The hardest part of this job is standing on my feet for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of this job, is knowing that I helped someone.
Great Atmosphere
EVENING STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Rensselaer, INDecember 20, 2017
Enjoyed working for Stracks. Loved the Management team who truly care about staff. Job is enjoyable and productive with great peers. would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
fluctuating hours
Opportunity for advancement
Produce Stocker/Floral Clerk (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INDecember 19, 2017
Stracks culture does offer plenty of opportunity for advancement, the job is easy enough to learn, the customers can be difficult, I've learned patience in several situations, and to go above and beyond for our customers. A typical day for me involves stocking produce, and packaging fruit. It is a great first job to have. They offer insurance benefits after 2 years.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
short breaks
Unfriend work environment
Cashier/Customer Service/Pricing Associate (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INDecember 14, 2017
The management at the crown point 2 store shows favoritism, the only associates to get promoted to management are male, after moving an hour away they refused to transfer because they "couldn't afford to lose me." Because these reasons, I quit my job there. If I was as "valued" as they claimed they would have worked with their employee to ensure someone so "valued" would stay with the company.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, no career advancement, poor pay
it was ok
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Munster, INNovember 28, 2017
I worked hard did every job there was, except management . I learned a lot of different things there. I learned how to do bales of cardboard , the damage section .
Pros
good co workers
Cons
bad management
good customer activity
Bagger and Stock Handler Helper (Former Employee) –  Chesterton, INNovember 22, 2017
This is a good job to have in the Spring and Summer, some Fall. In the Winter when the snow and ice comes, the grocery karts are very hard to maneuver.
Pros
customer inter action
Cons
weather
Can be stressful, but it is a productive job
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INNovember 20, 2017
When I first started working there, it was great. Once i got the hang of the things that needed to be done throughout my shift, it was pretty easy. We then had a change of management in the bakery field. Things got out of hand after that. Once the new manager was comfortable, the old manger had gotten jealous of the new manager basically. She then tried everything in her power to get her fired, but it did not work. That place is drama filled.
Pros
Discounts inside store, free food at times
Cons
Not enough breaks, not payed enough for everything you have to do