Stratford School Employee Reviews

Great
Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 25, 2019
I would not leave if I was not moving. Great staff and friendly environment. Excellent culture, with cooperative collaboration with all staff members across all Stratfords.
Pros
Teaching
Cons
Pay
Founder and leader of Stratford was a teacher first and foremost.
Leader (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAAugust 3, 2018
One of few companies led by an educator with a clear vision of how schools can be run. While teachers across the country aren't paid enough to reflect the incredible value provided, Stratford is competitive with other independent schools.

People come and stay because of the culture, talented colleagues, caring leaders and the shared mission of making a difference in the future of our children.
Pros
It's the people.
I enjoyed my job at Stratford the time went by quickly.
Pre-K teacher and Spanish teacher (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed working at Stratford. If I were to leave it would not be because of the job, but because of the long commute I have 5 days per week. I will definitely miss working at Stratford School if I had to leave.
Stratford does not care
Arts and Activities Director -Extended Day Staff (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 18, 2018
My time at Stratford has always been stressful. They do not train you on your day to day grey areas of your job. The Stratford home office doesn't even bother to address our needs year after year and I cant even afford to live on my own with wages so low. Most of the Extended Care staff live with their parents because they cant afford to move out. I took this up with my boss and she basically told me that there was nothing she could do to up my pay. And at the same time home office tried to shorten our hours and make us all take two weeks off in the middle of summer "cause they couldn't afford all of us to work". They told us this a week bfeore school ended. This is how they conduct business?! You can charge people thousands of dollars a year but you cant afford to pay eight employees though summer?? I almost did a strike with the staff because I felt nothing was going to change. Instead we all quit. We were tired of just scraping by living pay check to paycheck.

The teachers and the culture they have has always been great. It' s a wonderful staff. The staff is what gets you through the day. The kids can be great also and that's what I love about the job. Working with kids--when they pair you up appropriately, are great. I love them but Stratford DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. I'm glad that I stayed to watch my kids grow up but once they left, I felt like it was my time to go as well. The Extended Care job is a dead end career wise. Don't stay for more than a year. You'll regret it.
Pros
some good kids, staff
Cons
wages, half the day outside regardless of weather, no support, no resources, some privileged parents
Best place to work at
Lunch and Extended Day Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 29, 2018
Staff is amazing. Managment really takes the time to know you and relate with you. There are lots of meetings so we collaborate toegther very well. Kids are so fun to work with great parents. You get a lot of gifts from managment at christmas, birthday, etc.
Pros
Free lunches, good pay, gifts
Cons
Short breaks
great in title but not worth it
Extended Care Teacher/ Classroom Aide (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMarch 17, 2018
extended day care is treated horribly and like second class citizens compared to the teachers at this school.

communication is horrible between administrators
This is a good company to work for.
Lunch and Extended Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CA 94086February 23, 2018
I would love to continue to work for this company if I did not have to move I would much rather move up in this company than relocate. They really do make it easy for you to move up if you are capable to. Once they have you they train you to do different things, so that you are capable to know different areas just in case they need you to fill in for someone.
Pros
Easy contact with the managers
Cons
Too long of a long break.
Stressful
Preschool/Pre-K Teacher (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 18, 2018
Stratford is great in that it's pushing to move with the changing times. The execution is poor and they're not addressing how to change the structure of their program to accommodate their vision of growth.

As a Preschool/ Pre-K Teacher, this academic year has been especially difficult (2017-2018). We do not have enough support nor teachers. We are told consistently that there are no budgets for substitutes/ floaters, and no extras to come in and support. This may be due the goals to open more campuses. As a result, we are forced to work long hours and lean on each other. Management is extremely unorganized, unresponsive, and unreliable. There is no work-life balance.

On top of that, we are being pushed to incorporate STEAM into our program in addition to the standard Stratford School curriculum, but we don't get any prep time to effectively plan for these lessons. Nap time prep is NOT prep and any teacher can testify to that. We get so little done at that time and now we need to add more to enhance our environment?

At one point we had a whole wing with only 1 solid Teacher in each classroom and that is unacceptable. Instead of finding support to help with the problems, management decides to open more classrooms? Opening a new classroom is not a win if you lack teachers, teachers are unhappy, and overworked.

They bank on us being committed to our classroom and the children, and they're smart because many of us will stick it out for that very reason. I'm curious who will be returning after this year ends because I will most certainly not. Management really missed
  more... the mark this year and they will probably lose a lot of amazing teachers as a result.

When I joined, I was excited and inspired by the vision and quality. Those are no longer my thoughts. It's all about money.
Fun workplace but needs more balance
Extended Care Teacher/ Lunch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 28, 2017
I loved my job at Stratford School but was not where I intended my career to be. It is a private school and I grew to no longer support their type of education for children.
Pros
Great company and coworkers
Cons
Not a great school for children
Not much to grow here
Extended Day Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJuly 30, 2017
Okay job, not the best. Decent pay. Can't pick up hours. 2 hours long break which is inconvenient for a lot of people. The staff is understaffed. They need more people and are desperate for it
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Long break. No growth. Favoritism
Great enviroment
Extended Care Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA 95051June 23, 2017
Typical day is to help students with lunch and to supervise them during lunch break. After school program involves in assisting the students with homework and providing them with various art projects and steam activities.
School made business
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  CAMarch 27, 2017
You have to be really passionate to work here. Lots of work and no pay. The company focuses on expansion versus providing a good work environment. Their mission is to keep the school academically accelerated, but accepts anyone who can pay tuition.
Cons
Lack of prep time
A great place to work and grow as an individual
Extended Care Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 12, 2016
A typical day,
is overall great and fun experiences.
11:30-1:30
You supervise students between first lunch
between lunches you have a small 20 minute to interact with your co-worker
After second lunch you do after lunch procedure
Then break for an hour
2:30-6pm
is a whole new story to soon to discover. One's you qualify for the job.
An ok temporary place to work
Elementary extended Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 25, 2016
No room for growth, nice lunch break, teachers can be nice or rude, The school I worked at was understaffed so I had over the limit of kids to watch with no partner. The co-workers were pretty nice. The hardest part was keeping control of the older kids. The most enjoyable part was playing with the kids outside.
Pros
long lunch, decent pay for student, playing outside with kids
Cons
not much room for growth, school is understaffed, principle seemed to pick favorites among the team
Poor Management
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 4, 2015
Not recommended to work here! Stratford has very poor management, they have no support system. They tend to hire or promote people in a leadership role with no experience and they are very aware of issues at the campuses but do not do anything to change them. Teachers are over worked and are poorly paid just as the office administrators.
Cons
Very poor management
Enjoyed students excitement in learning history. School had a pleasant atmosphere.
History Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Loved working with students. Management could be overbearing at times. Worked well with co-workers. Preperation for class took up a lot of personal time.
Fast-paced environment
Assistant to Principal (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 14, 2014
Busy, but rewarding by serving students, parents, faculty and peers. Fast-pace environment with having to make quick decisions and meeting deadlines. Think quickly on your feet and meeting the needs of various clients and customers while maintaining a positive attitude.
Pros
Touching lives of children
Cons
Non-flexible
Very organized
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 8, 2013
Stratford had great values and I was treated like one of the family.
Great core values
Admissions Services/Campus Administrator (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJune 18, 2013
Stratford has amazing values, and their goal is to provide children with an excellent well rounded curriculum, which I believe that they do.
Pros
You get to work with amazing children
Cons
Benefits are really expensive