Stream Valley Veterinary Hospital

• Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Poor communication/ management

I worked for SVVH for awhile and at first it was great but then I regretted it. The management would yell at you in front of customer. Always loyal to long time customer and would take thier side over yours. Bibg yelled at by the drs. Constantly adding more and more lists to do for your weekly assignment so it never could get done. Biggest thing was lack of training and communication was horrible. Haveing to come in on days offs for meetings that we weren't paid for. Staff had favorites and would turn on you in a instant.

Pros

Working with animals

Cons

Lack of social life, lack of communication. Stressed, being yelled at.

Vast improvement from recent years

Stream Valley has gone through plenty of changes over the past few years, which are mostly positive. The team really meshes well for the first time in a long time. Of course, there are bumps along the road and the work culture can be off-balanced, but I try to stay in my lane. Communication does need to improve so that everyone understands what they need to do, but in a constructive way. The negativity or attitudes towards others can be a lot sometimes.As someone who doesn't have a background in veterinary medicine, I definitely learn something new everyday. I've enjoyed learning more about pet health care and all aspects of the business. Everyone works hard to give the best care for all pets who come through our doors. The hardest part of my job is trying to get everyone on board with the tasks that I need them to participate in. Not everyone puts in effort for getting involved. It can be frustrating, but there are employees who show interest in helping me accomplish my tasks. I still feel appreciated. I just think that good motivators could help more with getting others on board. On the other hand, the most enjoyable part of the job is being around animals. It always brings a smile to my face when they get excited to see me.Overall, working at Stream Valley has its ups and downs. Strong personalities can lead to conflict but empathy for others goes a long way. I think the building could use a nice refresh, too. Still, we've come a long way from years past on a positive upswing with cooperative and friendly staff.

Pros

working with animals, friendly coworkers, supportive management

Cons

building showing its age, still haven't received staff eval, not enough communication between departments

Fun workplace with lots of opportunities for growth

I am a kennel attendant at Stream Valley Veterinary Hospital. I applied for the job as a way to make money and get some experience in a vet practice. I didn't realize it would be so much more than that. The people who work here are great, and I have been given so many opportunities to grow (for example, I am training to be a technician right now). The practice is cozy and homely, and the medicine is top tier.

Pros

Opportunities for growth, customers bring in treats sometimes, lots of animals to meet

Cons

Pay is somewhat low for part-time employees

Poor management

I wanted this place to be a really great place to work. It had good benefits, decent pay, and obviously working with animals is amazing. I also really enjoyed the fact that we were encouraged to jump in and get hands on with learning and advancing ourselves. The owner is an amazing veterinarian and I hoped to learn a ton while I was there.The big issue with this place was mostly the emotional environment. It was quickly apparent that no matter how well you did in your position, the first mistake that you made overshadowed every good thing you did. I often felt like I (and other workers) could not speak out about how we felt for fear of being reprimanded further.The owner also expected us to spend any and all of our free time (which there was not much of, despite her insistence) doing even more work. We were told that it wasn't required work, but, if we were looking to see any sort of praise or pay raise, we were expected to do it. Oh, and we were constantly threatened with being fired for not doing it or if anything else was going wrong in the slightest.In essence, if you are a workaholic, love animals, and don't mind being criticized every day, this is a great place for you, otherwise, stay away.

Pros

Benefits, time off, learning potential

Cons

Management, emotional environment

Loved it

This is my absolute favorite job ever! Great place to work. Coworkers are great, but you do have some bad seeds, but what place doesn't. Owner is fantastic and makes sure everyone is actively learning, though, like anyone, she can have bad days. And the animals, they were the best part! The pet owners were great, too! All in all, this is a great place.

Leave a review. Help people like you.

It’s actually an awesome place

The only reason I left this establishment is due to the fact that one new doctor was coddled and allowed to hold everyone who worked in treatment as emotional hostages. She routinely would throw things around, yell at the techs, and then lock herself in the bathroom to cry when things didn’t go her way. The owner and head vet was an AMAZING doctor and mentor who pushed all her employees to be better and do better. The lead tech was a hardworking and dedicated boss who was always available to answer questions and help us learn if we were willing to learn. They provided us so many opportunities for continuing our education and ways to have more responsibilities in your area of interest. My time and experience there was all positive with the exception of being paired with a doctor who was incompetent, insecure, and consistently rude to employees, as well as customers. To work here you need to be detail oriented, hardworking, and have a desire to constantly learn.

Stressful place to work

The 2 leads at CSR and the owner are just bullies There is no proper training. They expect you to automatically know the answer. You will get yelled at in front of clients and other employees if you get something wrong. The owner expects you to have no life outside work Always gives homework for you to do. Doesn’t matter what you have going on, and if you don’t do it threatens to cut your hours.

February 27, 2020
Thank you for your valuable input. We will take these statements into consideration and continue to strive to be an employer of choice.

Be prepared to be berated constantly. No matter what you do it is always wrong. Owner is always yelling at you in front of clients and coworkers I would not recommend working here .

Bad place to work

There is no work life balance. You are expected to work overtime all the time and come in on your days off for a “whole hospital meeting” that they routinely cancel last minute. Then yell at you for getting overtime. Very poor management. The owner constantly yells at you and treats you really bad, and will talk about you to other employees. She yells at you in front of employees and clients

February 27, 2020
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Sometimes our plans must change depending upon what is going on in the hospital at any given time (such as emergencies that limit our ability to have a meeting). We will take these statements into consideration and continue to strive to be an employer of choice.

poorly run

Overall poorly run practice. High turn over. Owner very difficult to work for. Terrible work/life balance with staff routinely expected to stay over time

February 27, 2020
Thank you for your valuable input, we will take these statements into consideration and continue to strive to be an employer of choice.

Bad management

Very stressful place to work, bad management, expect to get yelled at often and treated like a child. Schedules are unreliable, you do not really get to pick when you work and they may change it last minute sometimes with no warning. Workplace is also very dirty and smells even after you clean. Only good part is the animals, who are all lovely and are the only good thing about working there.

February 27, 2020
Thank you for your valuable input. Schedules unfortunately can change depending on what's going on in the building at that time, as our schedules are created 4 weeks in advance, we must adjust accordingly, and sometimes this type of schedule flexibility is not easy, but we do our best to work with each employee. I agree that the animals are the best part of our day! Again, thank you for your input, we will strive to become an employer of choice.

Great job poor management

Great benefits, pay is very nice, staff is amazing as well as the clients. Management is extremely poor. Communication is basically non existent and they do not listen to the needs of their employees. If you want to be treated with respect look else where.

Pros

Staff, clients, health benefits

Cons

Stressful, lack of communication, set up for failure.

Animals

I love animals and I went to school to be a vet tech. This started off being a dream job when moving to the Virginia area. The job was very taxing on my body but the animals almost made up for it.

Interesting workplace

I usually take care of the animals in the kennel, hospital, and isolation areas. I primarily feed, medicate,interact with, and clean up after the animals. Management is knowledgeable and wants to see you grow. It's a fast-paced environment, but feels rewarding when you're taking care of the animals and making their day by interacting with/helping them.

Common questions about Stream Valley Veterinary Hospital

Answered by current and former employees at Stream Valley Veterinary Hospital

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stream Valley Veterinary Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5