Student Conservation Association

Student Conservation Association Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA8 reviews
Great way to make a transition
I worked as a crew leader, and it was never advertised as a sustainable position. I stay with the organization with the hopes of reaching a staff position but after 6 years I realized that I had reached ceiling and needed to search else where. SCA did give me the skills I needed to reach a staff position with another conservation organization
Strong devotion to the company mission. High quality of work satisfaction.
I enjoyed working for SCA as a crew leader and program assistant. Practical field work experience working in the parks and facilitating the program behind the field. Supportive and friendly work culture.
Friendly environment, outdoors, students working together
I enjoyed this job a lot and I like that this company is committed to saving our environment and teaching our youth to do the same. This job took place in a couple different state parks. We had assigned tasks, usually relating to park maintenance or forest conservation. The different job locations made sure that you didn’t get to bored in one place.
Pros
Outside all day, friendly coworkers in working environment, decent wage for students
Cons
Summer job only for my particular position
Great Volunteer Job!
I enjoyed working with the SCA a lot. I made a lot of close friends through the organization, learned new skills, and the experience was all-around beneficial. I would strongly recommend volunteering with SCA to another student.
I performed trail maintenance and habitat restoration for a month in the backcountry of
Yellowstone National Park. My Student Conservation Association national crew was located in

the Lamar River Valley of Northwestern Montana, where our chief duty was to restore the Lamar

River Valley trail from erosion. I had the responsibility of remote camp maintenance, which

included cooking, cleaning, fuel gathering, and Leave No Trace implementation. Our work

weeks consisted of 40 hours of trail work, all conducted in the thickest brown bear country in the

lower 48 states.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
i love to teach
a typical day with the SCA (student conservation association) is basic trail work in a nation park. picking your kids up from the metro station closes to job site, stretching and getting tools, working on a particular job site in the parks, eating lunch, little more work, playing games, packing your car with the tools and making sure everything you took out goes back with you so that nobody get hurt, and lastly taking dropping your kids off at the metro station close to the site. the management are awesome people. hardest part is working in the hot weather. most enjoyable part is becoming more then just a crew with your students and also seeing progress with the work you'll did as a group
Good Summer Program
I worked here as a student in high school. It is a program based in the DMV area for high schoolers that help you get a sense on what it is like to work on a team. It is a great experience because you help by cleaning the national parks in the area. You are also awarded with a trip to a national park at the end of the program with your crew.
n/a
This is a great company to work for, especially if you want to challenge yourself and your career.