Student Conservation Association Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Port Alsworth, AKSeptember 20, 2018
It was just a Summer job when I was in high school. I hiked 12 miles one time. I got to know my co workers, we saw bunch of animals and views. It was hard work but as a kid, it wasn't bad.
productive and fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCSeptember 16, 2018
The duration of this job was only six weeks, and the very last week of the work program was a paid vacation for my whole team to go camping. Typically, we'd all meet at Greenbelt station at 7:45 am every morning, and pack into the cars to start driving to Greenbelt Park. Upon arrive to the park, we would all get into our work boots and fill our water bottles to start the day. Then we'd proceed to a large field to begin a warm up activity, and after we finished, we drove off to whichever worksite we'd be working on that day. Throughout this entire experience, i've learned so much about conservation work and why it is important, as well as using many different tools, making cement, and a lot about nature in general. The work was always fast paced and stressful, because we had to do so much under so much heat and a very little amount of time, but what made it so memorable and enjoyable was everyone in my team. My team was so outgoing and we had so many fun moments together, including my managers and team leaders. The managers and team leaders made it all so much more enjoyable because they always had so much jokes and stories to tell, and whenever they felt as though we were getting bored, they would always have a game or activity for us to play. This experience was so amazing, it has helped me become more happier with myself, and I will continue on with this job next summer as well.
Pros
My crew members
Cons
The hot weather
Challenging and a lot of team work required
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19153September 12, 2018
A typical day at work would include with a meeting with a morning meeting in the van with my other team members and the two leaders on our team as we headed to our Desiniation daily which was valley forge. The SCA focused a lot on preserving wild life and getting groups of teenagers together to work on helping areas in the city of Philadelphia become cleaner and cut down any endangered plants of habitats and alsi facing new challenges and leaning how to work as a team to get the job done at the end of each day.
Pros
End of the job camping trip, learned new things
Cons
Being out in the heat
Fun working environment
Landscaping Laborer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 10, 2018
Overall I enjoyed working with the Student Conservation Association. It was a fun time with them and got to work around the environment. What I
learn from working there is work hard, communicate to your group, help one another, and always look around your surroundings. My experience with the Student Conservation Association was a fun and great experience as my first job.
What I got to do there is chop down trees, cut little tree branches, pick up heavy logs and put them in the truck, pick up big and small scale sticks, and cut tall grass.
Good but needed work
Student Laborer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 8, 2018
I enjoyed working here to some degree. problem was there was ALOT of down time being stuck away from civilization and constantly shortages of essential supplies.
Pros
Free lunches, hard work, team building
Cons
Outside for an entire month, small portions, constant droughts of water and nothing to do when we were done with an area.
Excellent first time summer job
Student volunteer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 28, 2018
Having SCA as my first summer job, it was a fun, all be it, challenging experience. being outside for many hours in the dreaded summer heat is not for the feint of heart. SCA really drove me to step outside my comfort zone. In the end of my work time, seeing all of the work we have done made us feel like we accomplished our goals. I recommend SCA for those who are looking for a first time job.
Productive learning work environment.
Archaeological Intern (Former Employee) –  Monticello, UTAugust 28, 2018
Pros: learning new skills from industry professionals directly; feeling of contributing to the environment or to local people; ability to travel and to see other areas of the country
Excellent resource
Restoration Intern (Former Employee) –  Vashon Island, WAAugust 24, 2018
The SCA is a great way to network and branch out to figure out what you want to do in the future. My experience with them was easy and straight forward, making the preparation process stress-free before I started my internship.
I loved working with the SCA
Five Rivers Environmental Educator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hudson Valley, NYAugust 17, 2018
Working with the SCA has been one of the best things that I have ever done. That's why not only did I do one 10 month term I then hopped into a second 10 month internship right after the first.
Labor intensive yet ethically fulfilling work.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2018
A good job for beginners that valued teamwork above all, but also valued individual ability. Work was for a good cause, causing a sense of spiritual fulfillment that not many places can claim. An overall experience that I would recommend to college and high school students.
Pros
Fair bosses, good amount of breaks, fun.
Cons
Low Pay, Labor Intensive
Great organization and people!
Seasonal Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2018
If I had the opportunity, I would gladly accept a full-time position with this organization. They are doing great work, and I was proud to be a part of that.
Pros
Great Manager!
Cons
Seasonal only
Learned a lot here
Multiple Locations - Student Conservationist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 22, 2018
Good for long term advancement in the field. Free summer programs as well you can travel the country. Fosters a life long community/network centered around nature conservation.
Exicting work outdoors with wild animals close by.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Medora, NDJune 29, 2018
We would wake up with the sun and go to bed with the sun. Large bison grazing by our tents were the only reasons for us being late to work. We built hiking trails all day. Games were played over the weekend around a camp fire. Life was simple when we cooked our meals at night getting ready to start the day early. On the weekends we did a whole lot of hiking.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Low bi-weekly pay.
Fun Family like workplace but only over the summer
Youth Conservation Corps Contractor (Former Employee) –  Township of Galloway, NJJune 23, 2018
They typical workday could be rather labor intensive but we always made sure that we where safe and productive. Our supervisor was extremely friendly and we all always had fun while working. Learned a lot about speaking to and educating the public along with workplace safety.
Pros
Paid Environmental Education days where we took trips to learn
Cons
Can be labor intensive
Fun and Educational Workplace
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Fair Lawn, NJJune 13, 2018
A typical day at work for our specific project was shoveling mulch for a majority of the day. It was an overall fun experience, as it was my first job. The worst part of the day was moving piles of mulch, but I wouldn't say that it was bad. The most enjoyable part of the day was playing long thinking games to keep your mind off of the monotony of shoveling.
Pros
Fun manager and conservation information
Cons
Limited project time and hours
Productive and Educational
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2018
I enjoyed the people there and the activities that we went through There was a lot of variety and I rarely got bored. Our entire group became pretty close friends.
Tough but rewarding work environment
Community Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 10, 2018
We would meet up in D.C. we would drive to the site, and begin working. Learned about tools on site. Learned how to work on the construction projects.
Fast paced, innovative, community focused, growing
PROJECT LEADER (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 3, 2018
Growing, changing, face paced, community centered, diverse, challenging, never the same, conflict resolution skills, need to make quick decisions, leadership orientated
Great intro into environmental field-- low pay though.
Americorps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Environmental EducatorMarch 2, 2018
This is your foot in the door for environmental science. Recent graduate? Struggling in your twenties trying to work in education? Need to pay off loans? Want to help the environment? Work here. Great structure, great support, and unbeatable cause.
Pros
loan deferment, housing, experience
Cons
only given small stipend
Loved it
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2018
Working outdoors best thing even got to meet alot of people.And i got to help the community.But the hours of being that young was the only thing i disagree on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Conservation Association. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight