Student Conservation Association Employee Reviews

great experience if you enjoy the wilderness
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77098January 16, 2019
great program for teen/young adults who enjoy the outdoors. you learn how to build trails and plant, and how to work together. they also provide a lot of activities for you during this summer job. we even went on a all expense paid camping trip
Pros
you get paid to have fun
Cons
its during the summer when it hot
An organization doing good work, but lacking in strong leadership.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  variousJanuary 11, 2019
A large organization with a variety of employment opportunities. I have done many things for the organization and a typical day varies tremendously depending on my role at the time. From incredibly gratifying to painfully frustrating.
Working with youth in the field is where the fun and satisfying work is, but the organization doesn't provide the support needed by those working hardest to make important things happen.
Best and worst job I have ever had.
Pros
Helping the earth heal and youth grow.
Cons
Too Bureaucratic, weak leadership.
great pay
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 4, 2019
they won't disappoint you, when it comes to the paycheck. Very friendly people who are aimed at educating people about the environment and how to maintain its naturality without ruining it.
Wonderful
Adirondack Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Long Lake, NYJanuary 2, 2019
Life changing experience, full of personal development and a test of grit. If you are looking to become a better person, join their corps program. Backcountry living is hard but worth it.
Great Place to Start
Resource Management Programs Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 21, 2018
SCA & AmeriCorps provide on the job training to advance in the career field of your choice. It is an excellent opportunity for post-college grads looking to get a leg up. Pay is standard for internships.
Great Volunteer Job!
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 8, 2018
I enjoyed working with the SCA a lot. I made a lot of close friends through the organization, learned new skills, and the experience was all-around beneficial. I would strongly recommend volunteering with SCA to another student.
fun workplace and a great way to meet people with rewarding work
crew man (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2018
A typical day at work is meeting with your work crew in the morning and going to the locations your crew manager directs you to go. working there was amazing, you work closely with your crew and I made some amazing friends. the hardest part is working and maintaining trails but it is also the most rewarding work i have ever done.
Pros
you will learn important skills for conservation
Cons
long days
Opportunities for High School and First Year College Students
Interpretation Intern (Former Employee) –  Hathaway Pines, CA 95233December 1, 2018
The SCA is a great opportunity but I recommend you start in high school and the first years of college. Ask a lot of questions during your interview in hopes that you get a position you'll enjoy.
Cool internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 15, 2018
I had a good experience at this internship and learned quite a bit. really helped to enhance my outdoorsy and hands on skills in nature. Also provided good benefits.
Very quick paced, enjoyable position
Community Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 21, 2018
Working for the SCA was one of my favorite positions I've had by far. After three weeks of training to prepare, I felt extremely prepared and my supervisors encouraged me throughout the season.
Love working in the outdoors
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PAOctober 19, 2018
There is no typical day of work. I learned how to use various power tools and build different types of structures while helping the state parks and forests with their projects. The management was somewhat disorganized but always available when questions arose. The hardest part was some of the physical labor for one of the projects but even then it was not that bad. The best part is meeting new people and making friends along the way. And also learning new skills and seeing new places I would not necessarily see on my own time.
Pros
breakfast and lunch were included, 3 day weekends (working 4 day weeks with 10 hour shifts), working outside
Cons
temporary, program i work for is still new and working out the bugs
Great Experience
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 4, 2018
Working for SCA was a great experience for me because, every year I went to work for them I learned new things that can teach . Knowing that I was a big help to somebody’s community was great
Pros
Having a car, trips on fridays (still get paid for it), short breaks, crew leaders helping
Used to be good
Employee (Former Employee) –  NHSeptember 27, 2018
SCA used to be a great place to work but that was a few years ago. Since that time there have been numerous lay offs, change in culture, etc. I would no longer recommend it as a place to work.
Pros
Nice setting, great mission
Cons
Favoritism, instability
Amazing Oppurtunity
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 25, 2018
This summer job was more than it seemed. It balled me meet new people and discover a love for environment sciencs and horticulture. I would recommend this to any high school student.
Fun workplace
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Port Alsworth, AKSeptember 20, 2018
It was just a Summer job when I was in high school. I hiked 12 miles one time. I got to know my co workers, we saw bunch of animals and views. It was hard work but as a kid, it wasn't bad.
productive and fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCSeptember 16, 2018
The duration of this job was only six weeks, and the very last week of the work program was a paid vacation for my whole team to go camping. Typically, we'd all meet at Greenbelt station at 7:45 am every morning, and pack into the cars to start driving to Greenbelt Park. Upon arrive to the park, we would all get into our work boots and fill our water bottles to start the day. Then we'd proceed to a large field to begin a warm up activity, and after we finished, we drove off to whichever worksite we'd be working on that day. Throughout this entire experience, i've learned so much about conservation work and why it is important, as well as using many different tools, making cement, and a lot about nature in general. The work was always fast paced and stressful, because we had to do so much under so much heat and a very little amount of time, but what made it so memorable and enjoyable was everyone in my team. My team was so outgoing and we had so many fun moments together, including my managers and team leaders. The managers and team leaders made it all so much more enjoyable because they always had so much jokes and stories to tell, and whenever they felt as though we were getting bored, they would always have a game or activity for us to play. This experience was so amazing, it has helped me become more happier with myself, and I will continue on with this job next summer as well.
Pros
My crew members
Cons
The hot weather
Challenging and a lot of team work required
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19153September 12, 2018
A typical day at work would include with a meeting with a morning meeting in the van with my other team members and the two leaders on our team as we headed to our Desiniation daily which was valley forge. The SCA focused a lot on preserving wild life and getting groups of teenagers together to work on helping areas in the city of Philadelphia become cleaner and cut down any endangered plants of habitats and alsi facing new challenges and leaning how to work as a team to get the job done at the end of each day.
Pros
End of the job camping trip, learned new things
Cons
Being out in the heat
Fun working environment
Landscaping Laborer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 10, 2018
Overall I enjoyed working with the Student Conservation Association. It was a fun time with them and got to work around the environment. What I
learn from working there is work hard, communicate to your group, help one another, and always look around your surroundings. My experience with the Student Conservation Association was a fun and great experience as my first job.
What I got to do there is chop down trees, cut little tree branches, pick up heavy logs and put them in the truck, pick up big and small scale sticks, and cut tall grass.
Good but needed work
Student Laborer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 8, 2018
I enjoyed working here to some degree. problem was there was ALOT of down time being stuck away from civilization and constantly shortages of essential supplies.
Pros
Free lunches, hard work, team building
Cons
Outside for an entire month, small portions, constant droughts of water and nothing to do when we were done with an area.
Excellent first time summer job
Student volunteer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 28, 2018
Having SCA as my first summer job, it was a fun, all be it, challenging experience. being outside for many hours in the dreaded summer heat is not for the feint of heart. SCA really drove me to step outside my comfort zone. In the end of my work time, seeing all of the work we have done made us feel like we accomplished our goals. I recommend SCA for those who are looking for a first time job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Conservation Association. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight