Student Conservation Association Employee Reviews

Exicting work outdoors with wild animals close by.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Medora, NDJune 29, 2018
We would wake up with the sun and go to bed with the sun. Large bison grazing by our tents were the only reasons for us being late to work. We built hiking trails all day. Games were played over the weekend around a camp fire. Life was simple when we cooked our meals at night getting ready to start the day early. On the weekends we did a whole lot of hiking.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Low bi-weekly pay.
Fun Family like workplace but only over the summer
Youth Conservation Corps Contractor (Former Employee) –  Township of Galloway, NJJune 23, 2018
They typical workday could be rather labor intensive but we always made sure that we where safe and productive. Our supervisor was extremely friendly and we all always had fun while working. Learned a lot about speaking to and educating the public along with workplace safety.
Pros
Paid Environmental Education days where we took trips to learn
Cons
Can be labor intensive
Fun and Educational Workplace
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Fair Lawn, NJJune 13, 2018
A typical day at work for our specific project was shoveling mulch for a majority of the day. It was an overall fun experience, as it was my first job. The worst part of the day was moving piles of mulch, but I wouldn't say that it was bad. The most enjoyable part of the day was playing long thinking games to keep your mind off of the monotony of shoveling.
Pros
Fun manager and conservation information
Cons
Limited project time and hours
Productive and Educational
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2018
I enjoyed the people there and the activities that we went through There was a lot of variety and I rarely got bored. Our entire group became pretty close friends.
Tough but rewarding work environment
Community Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 10, 2018
We would meet up in D.C. we would drive to the site, and begin working. Learned about tools on site. Learned how to work on the construction projects.
Fast paced, innovative, community focused, growing
PROJECT LEADER (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 3, 2018
Growing, changing, face paced, community centered, diverse, challenging, never the same, conflict resolution skills, need to make quick decisions, leadership orientated
Great intro into environmental field-- low pay though.
Americorps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Environmental EducatorMarch 2, 2018
This is your foot in the door for environmental science. Recent graduate? Struggling in your twenties trying to work in education? Need to pay off loans? Want to help the environment? Work here. Great structure, great support, and unbeatable cause.
Pros
loan deferment, housing, experience
Cons
only given small stipend
Loved it
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2018
Working outdoors best thing even got to meet alot of people.And i got to help the community.But the hours of being that young was the only thing i disagree on.
Good way to gain real world experience while furthering academic ambissions.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Salmon, IDJanuary 6, 2018
While there are issues with the SCA, and I'm sure most conservation corps, I was able to garner significant: life and work experience, travel to locations I otherwise would have never visited, meet individuals from other walks of life in vastly disparate regions of the country, and gain an education stipend that allowed me to get a second degree with no debt.
Pros
Health insurance/ worker's comp (used twice)
Cons
Lack of organization and funding
Great
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 10, 2017
I enjoyed working here. My favorite part about this job was the freedom and work culture. The management style of this job was laid back and members were given a fair amount of freedom to be creative in the workplace.
The best job I have ever had
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 9, 2017
The Student Conservation Association started as a temporary summer job to pass the time and earn a bit of money. I ended up working with the SCA for six years and had the most invaluable experience. The program was extremely well rounded and provided a myriad of work and real life learning for young people of Milwaukee.
Office Environment with some opportunity to work in field
Community Programs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 5, 2017
Extensive management experience will aid an individual applying for positions within. The workplace culture in the immediate environment (i.e. specific cities) offers an excellent support staff, though it is difficult at times to connect with staff outside of your city, which is often times needed to accomplish a task. As such, self-starters and independent workers are an asset here.
SCA has a mission that is commendable and that, as a company, nation-wide, it strives to uphold, and does so.
Love the job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 3, 2017
If you love the outdoors and being around fun people while making the earth a better place than this is the place for you. The crew leaders are fun and they make working there a passion
Productive learning and working environment for teenagers
Philadelphia CLC 2015 (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 4, 2017
I was working over the summer with my crew and we were clearing up a sidewalk on a bridge so people can walk on it. We removed invasive trees and cleared the sidewalk full of weeds. Everytime we worked we saw a lady walking to work across the bridge on the deadly highway. Suddenly, one day we cleared one whole sidewalk so people can walk across the bridge and the lady walking to work said thank you. All of the hard work we did paid off just from that thank you and we were invited to eat at one of the community leaders home as a token of appreciation.
Pros
Learning experience, leadership skills, how to work with a diverse set of people
Cons
Few people in your work environment
Great Work, Great People
Wilderness Ranger Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Mt. Tabor, VTJuly 18, 2017
The work is awesome, but mostly seasonal. Benefits are scant to non-existent. There's a lot you can learn about the outdoors, about yourself, about working with people, but the difficulty of the job often outweighs the compensation.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Not Enough Personal Time
I loved working there great people that believed in preserving nature
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, AKJuly 10, 2017
You push yourself hard every day for the good of the world around you. You meet people that are also interested in conservation. You get to work with the nicest leaders on earth. You get to be outside everyday.
Pros
Housing is paid for.
Awesome environmental company
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZMay 25, 2017
I have worked for the SCA on 3 different occassions (2 times as a Project Leader and an internship). All three times were exciting, difficult, and rewarding. One of the best companies I have worked for.
Pros
Training, outdoor adventures
productive, fun, team building
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2017
Cool job to do,caring about conserving the environment. Enjoyed working out in nature, along working I learned names of invasive species and also learned about animals that inhabit the Forest Preserve.
This was a fun and product job but physically demanding at the same time.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 7, 2017
The job was physically demanding, and challenging. You must be willing to push yourself to get the job done. Also, you must always stay hydrated because of the weather.
Pros
Got to go on trips every Friday that would help you manage money, and give you life skills.
Cons
The heat was bad, sometimes it would get very hot
A great summer job
Student Conservation Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 15, 2017
It is a great way to get out into nature and give back to your community parks. It will give you the skills to get into agriculture as you build and repair trails and growing plant life.
Pros
Very smart summer job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Conservation Association. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight