Student Conservation Association Culture reviews

great pay
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 4, 2019
they won't disappoint you, when it comes to the paycheck. Very friendly people who are aimed at educating people about the environment and how to maintain its naturality without ruining it.
Great Experience
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 4, 2018
Working for SCA was a great experience for me because, every year I went to work for them I learned new things that can teach . Knowing that I was a big help to somebody’s community was great
Pros
Having a car, trips on fridays (still get paid for it), short breaks, crew leaders helping
Used to be good
Employee (Former Employee) –  NHSeptember 27, 2018
SCA used to be a great place to work but that was a few years ago. Since that time there have been numerous lay offs, change in culture, etc. I would no longer recommend it as a place to work.
Pros
Nice setting, great mission
Cons
Favoritism, instability
Amazing Oppurtunity
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 25, 2018
This summer job was more than it seemed. It balled me meet new people and discover a love for environment sciencs and horticulture. I would recommend this to any high school student.
Challenging and a lot of team work required
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19153September 12, 2018
A typical day at work would include with a meeting with a morning meeting in the van with my other team members and the two leaders on our team as we headed to our Desiniation daily which was valley forge. The SCA focused a lot on preserving wild life and getting groups of teenagers together to work on helping areas in the city of Philadelphia become cleaner and cut down any endangered plants of habitats and alsi facing new challenges and leaning how to work as a team to get the job done at the end of each day.
Pros
End of the job camping trip, learned new things
Cons
Being out in the heat
Great place to work!
Intern/Cultural Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mammoth Cave, KYJanuary 13, 2018
I love working there! It was a great environment, I was guided diligently by mu supervisors, they helped my accommodate travel arrangements because I live two hours away, and I learned a great deal from them.
Great
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 10, 2017
I enjoyed working here. My favorite part about this job was the freedom and work culture. The management style of this job was laid back and members were given a fair amount of freedom to be creative in the workplace.
Office Environment with some opportunity to work in field
Community Programs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 5, 2017
Extensive management experience will aid an individual applying for positions within. The workplace culture in the immediate environment (i.e. specific cities) offers an excellent support staff, though it is difficult at times to connect with staff outside of your city, which is often times needed to accomplish a task. As such, self-starters and independent workers are an asset here.
SCA has a mission that is commendable and that, as a company, nation-wide, it strives to uphold, and does so.
Love the job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 3, 2017
If you love the outdoors and being around fun people while making the earth a better place than this is the place for you. The crew leaders are fun and they make working there a passion
productive, fun, team building
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2017
Cool job to do,caring about conserving the environment. Enjoyed working out in nature, along working I learned names of invasive species and also learned about animals that inhabit the Forest Preserve.
A great summer job
Student Conservation Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 15, 2017
It is a great way to get out into nature and give back to your community parks. It will give you the skills to get into agriculture as you build and repair trails and growing plant life.
Pros
Very smart summer job
fun and enjoyable work experience
Apprentice Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 6, 2017
This job has giving me the opportunity to help with the beautification of my great city of Detroit. It has also helped for me to meet life long friends. The hardest part of the job was leaving to further my education.
Pros
working with children
Cons
seasonal
Good internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Gustavus, AKDecember 26, 2016
It was hard for me to adjust to work life. But I do not regret this decision, I was able to see Alaska. A beautiful area, and I had the nicest roommate, the friendliest people in town. My internship was hard because it was maintenance and I applied to a trail position, but it was the reason I got hired after college for anything. Credit wise it was great. I was disappointed but I finished it and did my job.
Pros
Experience, see a different part of the country, culture.
Cons
Coworkers (depends), pay.
Very Fun
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 14, 2016
Was a very fun job. I wish I could work longer there it was just a summer job but I really learned allot about national parks and the forest.
Fun jobs!!
Natural Resource Instructor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, VTNovember 5, 2015
Lots of great opportunities to get out and try something new. Very fun and gave me the chance to network and meet other people in my desired field.
Great place to work at
Team Worker (Former Employee) –  West Roxbury, MAOctober 25, 2015
Was my 1st job and I got to experience different cultures. I didnt relly interact with people but I enjoyed my job. I made sure everything was clean and safe for visitors.
Productive Work Environment with enthusiastic staff members
Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 14, 2015
Fun work place, and the staff is very enthusiastic, ive never seen a work place that makes work so fun and active that makes u want to come back for more.
Pros
Fun people to be around, They make work very fun and active
Cons
constant breaks
productive and fun day of cleaning and restoring trails
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 6, 2015
A typical day at work would be arriving to the assign park to do daily routines of picking up and trash and bullring trails to help better the environment with other crew members.
Pros
Pros were learning fun activity days and getting to meet new people
Cons
Were all the bugs and being outside period
hard working
student worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 14, 2015
A typical day at work included trail restoration, litter pick up and graffiti removal. Hardest part of working would be dong manual labor in the heat. Most enjoyable part of the day would be getting to work with a great group of people.
Great job
Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2014
Lots of travel. Met some awesome people and got to do some awesome things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Student Conservation Association. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight