Studio Movie Grill Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
If you've visited then you know!
Server, Runner (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJuly 12, 2018
If you have ever had the chance to visit studio movie grill then you know it is one well oiled machine of a restaurant. Workers have their jobs and know what to do. everyone you work with becomes part of one big family.
fast paced!
Server , bartender (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJuly 6, 2018
I learned so much from this job. it taught me time management patience and how to memorize anything and everything. you serve up to a clientele of almost 1000 people per 2 hour timespans. the hardest part is having to work with people who do not care about their job because you work on teams and split your tips amongst each other. once you serve here you can serve anywhere. 10 heaters and one of them held up to 375 people. you really learn how to serve at a place like this
Pros
once you serve thee on a busy day you can serve anywhere
Cons
short breaks
They work you too hard for the little bit you make an hour with no breaks!
Runner (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 6, 2018
I wouldn't recommend anybody to apply for this job because you only get paid 6.50 an hour if you're a runner plus tips which isn't even minimum wage. They expect you to stay on your feet the whole shift with no break and nobody has a scheduled time to get off so no telling how long they'll try to make you stay.
Don't expect much
Box Office & Ticket Host (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2018
My time here was shortlived as it conflicted with my school. I would immediately leave school and drive directly to work and I would get home at midnight. Managers don't care about you as a person. You're underpaid, overworked, and disrespected.
Pros
free movie tickets
Cons
You will not have a life, all you will have to show for your work is a tiny paycheck
Productive fast paced place to work
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2018
A typical day at work is hectic. I learned how to work quickly and communicate to guest. The management was very hands on. The workplace culture was playful and very interactive. The hardest part of the job was distributing the work evenly.The most enjoyable part was working with the employees.
Pros
Discount on food, and free movies
Cons
Poor communication with staff members
Fun coworkers. Decent managers.
Front of House (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAJune 20, 2018
The coworkers make or break this job. Some of them are amazing to work with. Others could be removed from the company and it not have a significant impact on the work flow. Management at the location is still stuck in the old ways and very hard pressed to acknowledge hard work with monetary incentives. Some coworkers have been there 10+ years without any raises. Very much a profit over people type of attitude with the management at the location.
Pros
Half off all food. Free movies.
Cons
No advancement
low quality workplace
Box Office Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 20, 2018
managers were not nice, it was constantly crashing and burning and just overall a bad place, the only thing about the place was the employees you work with
Fun and good benefits
Runner (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77095June 18, 2018
A typical day of work was fun with awesome coworkers along with good managers. If I got there early I would make the first batches of popcorn and deliver it to who ordered it along with food and drinks. benefits were free movies along with half of food
Pros
Free Movies
Garbage
Server (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 16, 2018
There's no moving up, they would rather hire their friends than move someone up. They pick favorites, poor training, management is lame. If you work nights, don't expect to get off till around 1-3 in the morning. Managers can be lazy and don't want to help, can never get anyone to clock you out on time! NEVER! The kitchen and the runners are always messing up and causing problems, so if you're a server, no matter how great your service is, your tips rely on everyone else's performance (which is usually trash). You get free tickets, 50% off food and free drinks, but no breaks, no benefits, most of the managers suck, and if you aren't their favorite, be prepared to get picked on, because that's how a professional business is run, I guess. It's just not worth it, at all.
Pros
Free tickets, free drinks, discounted food
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, extremely late nights, inconsiderate managers, lazy staff, low pay
Stressful
Server (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75220June 16, 2018
Very few hard working employees, no career advancement even though they said "it's easy to move up". Sometimes the money is good, but not worth all the trouble you go through.
Pros
Free movie tickets and food discounts
Cons
No breaks, no PTO, no benefits, low pay, pretty much everything...
Honestly the worst.
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 9, 2018
Managers are cool and chill and funny but they honestly don't care if you're overworked or if you're having a fever or feeling horrible (Some of them do but they still won't let you go).

The pay is also trash. The theaters smell like rotting corpses, the food is so expensive and its not even that good, the supervisor is horrible and overworks people.

They don't care if you're dehydrated or if you want to rest for a bit after doing ALL the things they tell you to do. It's always DO MORE DO MORE DO MORE. Very inconsiderate.

Using the messaging app is stupid cause even if you message them they don't read all messages so even if its about something important they won't know about it. Its useless cause they want you to tell them personally EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN'T AT THE MOMENT, WHICH IS THE POINT OF THE MESSAGING APP.

We don't get breaks and if you demand it they will get mad at you.

Basically the only thing good about this place is you get free drinks and discounted food. That's it. You can also be a server if you perform well.
Pros
Discounted, flexible hours
Cons
No breaks, free drinks
Nice place to work for teens in the summer!
Box Office Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJune 9, 2018
I loved working at SMG I met some of my best friends there. However it is a tough job to work during the school year. Managers were great and I loved the work atmosphere. However for a lot of the work we do it seems like we could get paid more. You will get A LOT of hours. Also you must work holidays.
Pros
Free tickets and 50% off food and drinks
Cons
Either very long or very short work days.
Loved the People who Started...
BARTENDER & BAR TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 8, 2018
After that it went downhill. There's been an insane exchange rate of staff and though its been open about a year and half now most of the original staff have left because of poor treatment and management picking favorites. I love most the staff and if your not picky the food turns out ok.
Fun!
Server (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 5, 2018
It was a very fun place to work but it had its slow moments. Every night and every customer is different. We all worked as a team and got dishes out in a timely manor
Great Opportunities
Server and Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Upper Darby, PAJune 3, 2018
Studio Movie Grill has gave me great opportunities to grow as a person and in different work fields. I started as a runner and shortly after I became a Bartender, a Server and a Supervisor. The management is very supportive and understanding.
management
Server (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 3, 2018
the management here is a joke. they could care less about their employees and guests. the managers were unprofessional, uncaring, and creepy. the most enjoyable part about working here was making life-long friends with your fellow coworkers.
Pros
social environment
Cons
no breaks, low pay
studio movie grill
food runner (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75243June 1, 2018
i somewhat enjoyed my time here recommend for people who are looking for a first job. nice staff and some good managers. customers are sometimes nice as well
Pros
free tickets, half off on food, make new friends and meet new people
Cons
management can be off. sometimes managers and staff can be rude to customers, staff can be sneaky as well as managers.
Very nice place to work while handling other life choices
SMG Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2018
company is flexible with schedule, give out decent amount of hours, customers can be interesting due to being a in dining theater, and sometimes will not get full four hours if day is moving slow.
Pros
free movies, half off on food
good money
Server Trainer/ Office Asst (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMay 30, 2018
If you're looking for an off hours job to make good money and like a fast paced environment this is for you. very competitive as hours are given out based on performance.
An overall summary of it is working at SMG
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 29, 2018
A typical day at Studio Movie Grill is steady. Working at SMG I've learned how to have great customer service skills. I've also became more of a people person. Management is good, they're always willing to accommodate guests if something goes wrong. They also have no problem helping staff if they need it. The hardest part would be working without possibly getting a break. The most enjoyable part of the job would be interacting with customers. Working there for so long you tend to get regular customers that come in there and they are always happy to see there favorite worker.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
short breaks, benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Studio Movie Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.6InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

1.7Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight