Studio Movie Grill Employee Reviews

Well
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 16, 2019
It is an amazing job, but there are times when it is understaffed, and the people in the area do not tip, as much as the food going out. This results in the servers receiving less in the tip pool. This results in many getting two jobs. Although, the work atmosphere is amazing, and the people are great
Pros
Tips are great, people are amazing
Cons
No breaks, understaffed, scheduled out of availability
Very quick paced, borderline overwhelming on a regular basis, especially weekends, prolific premiers, and during their discounted tuesday nights.
Line Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAMarch 12, 2019
It's very apparent that this is a company out from Texas making their way in California. What I mean is that if you're used to more hands on, understanding, touchy-feely, and well benefited employment experience that a lot of California companies provide, you're going to be in for a surprise.

This is a job that will become the #1 priority in your life. School and personal life will be pushed to the wayside. Almost immediately my schedule was overwhelmed. They do start you off flexibly, but will pressure you to take on more hours and cut into your unavailability if you give them the chance. THIS IS NOT A JOB FOR PUSHOVERS. If you're a people pleaser, highly dedicated, willing to throw yourself at the wall for your work, and need plenty of hours, you will do well here.

Management is very friendly face-to-face, but you can tell they have their favorites. If you're more socially inclined and can get on peoples' good side, climbing up won't be hard. Progression in the company is determined half by ability, skill, and work ethic; the other half is determined by how well you can schmooze with superiors. Don't expect to let your work do all the talking if you want to work your way up here. You'll basically have to be a miracle worker if you want to gain promotions while keeping your head down.

Workplace culture is endearingly crude: a lot of swearing, dark humor, and good commodore happens behind those kitchen doors. With how busy and overwhelming the weekends and big premiers get, you have to have a good head on your shoulders to be able to get through it.
Pros
Free food for kitchen staff while on the clock, Free movie tickets with plenty of stipulations (not on weekends, not bigger releases until 2 weeks after premier, can bring up to 3 other people).
Cons
Training quality depends on who they stick you with, Great if you're placed in the right hands, terrible if you're placed with someone apathetic, Overwhelming workload and pace most of the time, No benefits outside of management positions, highly limited discounts, semi-flexible scheduling, but they will pressure you hard to take on extra hours and duties, Great if you're highly dedicated and there for the hours, terrible if you've already got a busy personal life.
Great environment to work in but pay is not worth it
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 9, 2019
Great environment but pay is not enough for the amount of work done as a food runner. It is fast paced and demanding and the pay does not compensate for it.
Terrible workplace, awful management,many left disgruntled
Runner, Dishwasher, Line cook (3 positions held) (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 6, 2019
In a typical work day, you can expect your management to demean you and treat you poorly while still expecting you to perform optimally.
Any complaints to management will not be addressed as the management does not care about its employees. You will NOT receive enough hours to pay your bills here. it is extremely inconsistent due to both the nature of the job and the management. expect to go above and beyond your required duties or to be starved of hours.
Pros
free lunch
Fast paced learning enviroment
server (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMarch 3, 2019
As a whole, this company has given me many opportunities to grow in the work field. I have started from the beginning position as a host and have moved up to the next level as a runner and have now landed a position as a server.
nice
Runner/Server (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXMarch 2, 2019
Given autonomy as a manager which is good
Trusted but given space to grow and develop
Great people who are always helpful and love to collaborate
Flexible working which helps if you don’t live close to the office
Good lunches
Salary is paid as per market rate which is very fair and also refreshing
Have some great products which have huge potential
The CEO is a great guy and cares about what we …
It’s was a really friendly environment
Cook/drinkstation (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 28, 2019
A typical day at work will just click in and start working in my station where I was a cook and took out orders as fast as possible and clean after myself each work shift
productive
server,runner (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 26, 2019
work was fast paced. high demand and the managers were lazy. a lot of employees didnt do their job and if you ever go to smg you will see. i left because of relocation.
A Good Place for a 1st job
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CA 95677February 25, 2019
Studio Movie Grill is a good place to get a 1st job at because it has a pretty easy going environment compared to most restaurants & the management is pretty easy going but the workplace could definitely use some improvement.
Ideal place to work for high-school students
Runner (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 23, 2019
The management and rewards program at SMG needs major improvement. The only reason why employees stay so long here is because it is a low-stress job and you will make a lot of friends there. Managers tend to overwork employees when running low on staff (after sending majority of the staff home for budget cuts) and do not give them incentives for being overworked. There are no lunch breaks and the managers get mad at you for eating in your down-time. The Studio Movie Grill managers really treat their workers like robots instead of people.
Pros
make friends, low-stress, free movies
Cons
no lunch break, no free food, you're either overworked or have low hours
Would not want to wok there again
Server (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 21, 2019
My main issue was the management. One of the managers there are unfair and like to get really touchy. Other than then that you have people on your team who don't like to work but you still have to split your tips evenly among the team. you get no breaks. Be ready to be on your feet for 8 hours plus unless you get cut. unless your cool with the kitchen staff you will have problems getting food. they are very unorganized and some managers don't know how to do their job. I've been working there for a long time and most people quit within the first week.
Pros
If your in high school its good pay
Cons
if you live on your own I would work somewhere else, unfair treatment, bad management, very unorganized.
cool
Food Runner, Server Training (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXFebruary 20, 2019
SMG was cool except they would give us 10+ hour shifts with no lunch breaks. They said our "standing time" between movies was considered a break.. If we said we were hungry they would offer to buy us a small kids meal or a few bites of popcorn.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
no lunch breaks
Server
Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAFebruary 19, 2019
Great management, Family Orinted. SERVERS on a slow day 30 to 40 busy day you can make 60 to 120 in tips. Very flexible hours. Great for a first job or second job.
Pros
Tips, great managment.Great team.Flexible hours.
Cons
Pay, Hours can change.
Horrible job
Server (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAFebruary 18, 2019
They don’t care about employees are the guest. Managers only care for their own behind. Doesn’t treat you the right way .It’s like being in high school all over again. The managers talks to you any kind of way. Makes you feel like your a slave. They need new management.
Pros
Cons
Pay, Management
Negative and unprofessional work place from the mangers to staffs.
Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2019
As far as tips you couldn’t keep them at first but they change it to we’re we could keep them. An in the mist of us keeping the little tips we have we’ll have to tip out the runners and they’ll leave us with like 10 dollars after we tipped all of them out .
Pros
Half off for the food, free movie tickets
Cons
N/a
Easy place to work with, but not much money.
Server (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 14, 2019
This job is a team environment. Because it's a movie theater, not many people know to tip. So while in normal restaurants people work 8 hour shifts make on average $100, SMG servers make about $30-$60
Pros
Easy, friendly
Cons
No breaks, no money
The coworkers were great, but the job was murder
Runner (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 12, 2019
Every day you came in, you had to clock in exactly on time with only a minute or two space on either side for early/late clock in before you were penalized. During busy days, you were all over the place from start to finish, and there were never enough people where you needed them. I learned runner, drink station, expo, and turn team, when I was only supposed to be a runner, on week 1, and by week 2 was actually being scheduled for drink station without the update in pay to go with it. Pay was low, and I was being paid for part time work while working well over full time hours. Managers did not give a half a care about the employees, and we had to look out for each other. After I left I came back in to see a movie with some friends and was told I had to leave the premises and not come back for six months because, according to the managers, I walked out during a shift and was fired. After I heard this from the woman, was sent a new shift that had me on it. I asked the manager what that meant and they said as long as I 'promised never to do it again, I could come back.' The incident in question was when I clocked out after finishing my work, almost an hour after I was supposed to be out, and they said I walked out mid shift. Since I have left, the company has been completely overhauled, but the experience I had left a bad taste in my mouth and I would not go back.
Pros
Free movies and discounts on food
Cons
No breaks outside of high school, long work hours, inaccurate pay
A day at studio movie grill
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAFebruary 9, 2019
My day would start off with going to pre-shift with he manager on the clock. We would talk about any improvements that needed to be acted upon, Then once that was over if there are no guests to care of then we would go roll silverware and prepare for when the guest come in. When the guest came in you would greet them immediately with a smile and keep doing what you were doing. During the day we would just take care of the guest and if anything needed to be done we would take care of it. At the end of the shift we would run our reports and split our tips.
Pros
environment, discounted food
Cons
no lunch breaks, lonnnng hours of working with bad tips
Terrible place
Runner (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 7, 2019
They don’t give you enough hours and at the studio I work at they chose favorites and tend to give them all the hours. They tend to choose favorites..
Pros
50% of food and free movies
Cons
No break short hours
Great 1st Job
Server (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAFebruary 5, 2019
You have to know how to multitask, as well as communicate with your team members. They work really well with your schedule and give you props were its due!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Studio Movie Grill. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight