Study.com
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Study.com Employee Reviews

United States123 reviews

Great management but poor compensation

The support on the team is great and you definitely feel valued as a person and not just an employee. However, there are pretty much no promotions or compensation for working hard or standing out, which makes it tough to stay motivated sometimes.

Nitpicks and Slackers Alike

As a freelancer with Study.com you get the short end of the stick. Only by spending 2 hours or less working on an assignment can you make a pretty decent freelance rate--however, there is little work available at any given time. If you're lucky, you can get 1-2 lessons to write a week and then wait anywhere from 2-4 more weeks to get through the review and revision process. The rate I was offered was $60 per article, which appears to be their average offering. For that $60 you are expected to research, entirely on your own without any provided resources or access; you are then tasked with turning that research into a 1000-2000 word lesson with SEO optimized key terms. When you receive an article for the first time you are given an SEO header map that details what your sections should be about, titled, and what keywords need to be used. You are also provided with a quiz, the answers to which need to be in your lesson. Additionally at the end of the lesson are FAQ's that your lesson needs to address, and you need to answer. During my first lesson I discovered how asinine feedback is. Key terms need to be used exactly as written for SEO optimization, but the person creating the header map is not always capable of reading comprehension. In cases where a key term is offensive, inaccurate, or unrelated the lesson writer is required to submit a help desk ticket to ask for permission to not use it. Any issues with the header map must be addressed this way, which can be tedious. Next, the editors and reviewers who work with you appear to be given different instructions than the writers. -

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Little guidance, low pay, unrealistic expectations

Study.com insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Intellectually stimulating but low pay and work isn't constant, but rather feast or famine

I found the reviewers and editing staff to be very responsive and helpful. However, at $60 per lesson, this is more of a hobby than a breadwinning job. When hired there were a lot of lessons to write, but then it dried up completely without any explanation as to what the work flow and availability would be.

Pros

Great support staff, you can work remotely from anywhere

Cons

Very low pay and work availability is unreliable

Avoid this place!

They will let you go after one assignment if you are unable to succeed- terrible communication from management, and low pay! We are just another number in this case.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Poor management

Wonderful opportunity for earning extra money

My work here, which began in September 2021, was a pleasure from the get-go. If you work hard enough and are committed to thorough research, you can easily get a living at this company. The pay for History and English lessons is $60, which is a little low. Science pays $80 for longform. All shorter lessons are $40. Reviewers can be a little rude and petty. However, there can be no doubt that they care about their employees and the quality of their work. Additionally, the majority of the reviewers are kind and patient.

Great Workplace

Worked as contractor since 2018. Remote work is easy and while pay could be better, it's a good side gig. Only complaint is the pay, which hasn't increased at all since I first started.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Low pay rates

Satifying Work

On a typical day, you can check out as many batches as your schedule allows. The communication is usually speedy and accurate. The work is easy to do and easy to get paid for, it's a really innovative company.

Pros

Good work opportunities

Cons

Only paid twice a month

do not work here.

Trust me when I tell you this is not a good work environment. I read the other reviews and gave the company a try, only to experience exactly what everyone else warned about! There is no sense of professionalism with this company. You will not receive feedback that is meaningful, in fact, you content is reviewed by just about anyone. There is no feeling of guidance. It's like is some random high school student critiqued your work. Additionally, so many rude comments were made to me and my fellow writers. The pay is not consistent at all. You can go 3+ months without a single article. They do not email you when work opportunities are made available. Instead you must check the site randomly. They're not posted at any specific time or date. I have never been treated as badly by anyone professionally as I have been treated by this company. It is not worth it!

Editors: there is never available work!

It appears that Study.com is virtually always hiring for the Editor position. After a rigorous application process, I was excited to join the organization but there's never any work available! They hire way too many people to secure hours for everyone. I have been "employed" with the organization for the last 4 months and have yet to actually work. Don't waste your time applying.

Pros

An infinite amount of time off...

Cons

No hours and no support.

flexible schedule but the pay sucks

You make your schedule based on availability. The amount of work that you need to put in is not compensated appropriately. When all is said and done I am working for less than minimum wage with an MS degree. Good for beer money and not much more.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

the pay rate stinks

Not much to say

The jop is not that well-payed, do not expect to become a millionaire out of it. The workplace culture is a bit stressfull, would not recommend it to a friend

Unethical and Unhelpful and Inflexible

They have a very strong bias towards STEM skills to the point of not being flexible or understanding the point of view of answer writers or tutors who work in non-STEM. They pull questions from all over the web (potential copyright infringement) but punish you if you use a sentence you wrote yourself in another answer. (I never did this, but they have their "Self-plagiarism" policy pasted all over their poorly written and outdated instruction materials.)

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

They don't listen, don't help, and are condescending

Very good for people that like to work on their own schedule

This company is great if you want to work from home. I am a study answers expert and tutor. I am able to make a decent amount of money by answering questions.

A good place to get experience.

The position is great for someone starting in a field along these lines. The pay is very low for some of the work you do and if the work is not perfect you can be removed from projects easily.

Good supplementary work

I've been working for study.com for a month now as I apply for other more permanent work after graduating with my master's in history, and I find the work straightforward and easy to do. The lesson plan requirements are very specific but allow me to get creative in the types of examples I provide, which draws on my own knowledge. Often I have to do extra research for subjects, but this can be done in a consistent fashion. I usually do one lesson a day, so $60, and they take me anywhere from 3-6 hours to accomplish, though I usually finish in under 4. This job is only good, however, if you can write and research quickly, otherwise you'll spend too much time on any one lesson. Also, a few of the lessons I've done have been with a slow turnaround for review, meaning I don't get paid immediately, but this depends on the reviewer.

Pros

Straightforward work, good rate

Cons

Sometimes takes a while to get your lesson back and thus get paid

Not good. They need to be better at dealing with their employees.

Would not recommend this company. Stay away. They accuse you of making mistakes and other things, but don't tell you where or give you a chance to make corrections. Then cancel the contract after taking their own time to do a so called ‘investigation’. I have read they did that to someone else here. The reviewers too, some are not consistent with the highlighting and about what they want as far as sources are concerned. Very unorganized. Good for a side gig, but even to get one lesson done, it can take days depending on who reviews. You can only check out two lessons at a time and not more until they are done and published. Very frustrating!

Flexible and Fun

While the pay is remarkably low, other aspects of the job offer more satisfaction, such as the flexible style and intuitive online workspace. You choose your hours and how much work you accept.

Avoid working for Study.com

Took them two weeks after my application approval to get going. Zero interaction with anyone in the company in a management role, only assistance is through an online help desk that takes days to respond. Endless mazes of links, zero support, no clear direction. Do not work here.

Experience for Emerging Freelancers - That's About It

I'm glad I did a bit of work for Study.com because it was a good learning experience, but the pay for what they expect from you as a content writer is almost insulting. I was writing history lessons based on outlines Study.com provided, and the outlines made no sense. You are also required to incorporate key words that are grammatically awkward. You get feedback on your writing as if you were a middle school student, and the corrections they ask you to make are sometimes nit-picky and sometimes make no sense in relationship to the topic you have written about.

Work any time, but don't expect to get rich

As a Q&A expert you can work remotely any time you want, and there is plenty of work to do. It doesn't pay great and comes with no benefits, but that is a fair tradeoff for the flexibility and not having to deal with a formal "boss."

Pros

Flexibility, remote, constant learning

Cons

Pay, benefits

Good for a side job, but not secure

Pros:-create your own schedule-remote-flexibility-you can choose which lessons you complete-one week to complete lessonCons:-Very little pay-Work can take hours to research and days to receive feedback (thus, pay)-at times there is no work available-management (the "in-house") team can be unclear and provide no information regarding lack of work-training is weak and reviewers can give contradicting feedback-some reviewers can even be rude-no benefits-can get docked work if you don't submit quick enough

Common questions about Study.com

Answered by current and former employees at Study.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Study.com. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Study.com with

Learn about Study.com in popular locations

• Study.com
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?